PDA

View Full Version : Naruto Tri-Stat

kyuubigan
2009-09-15, 11:55 AM
Lately, I've been trying to adapt the Tri-stat system into a customized Naruto rpg. All the other Naruto rpgs that I have seen don't really apeal to me, and they all seem rather clunky. Anyway, the reason I'm writing here is to ask you for your help in cementing all the point values and powers for all the various jutsus, clans, and bloodlines. I'm also interested in your opinions on what you think of my attempt at a functional Naruto rpg.

Almost all the mechanics for the tri-stat system will remain the same, except as follows:

Energy will be replaced by Chakra, will be determined by (Body+Soul)*5. All jutsu will burn Chakra. The less Chakra a character has left, the more fatigued he will become. When a character's Chakra reserves reach 75%, they take a -1 on all rolls involving the Body stat. At 50%, the penalty increases to -2. At 25%, the penalty will increase to -4. And when a character runs out of Chakra the character will pass out.

The system modifications I've made so far are mostly cosmetic, but most of the attributes in Tri-Stat are going to be unusable in their current form. Like for example, the Grand Fireball jutsu I designed as a Special Attack that does a set amount of damage over a certain area, both the damage and area determined how many ranks a character has in this jutsu. Increasing the jutsu's rank will cost a certain amount of Advancement Points (AP) per rank.

The rules for learning and using jutsu is rather simple. I've created the skills Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Genjutsu, Medical, and Seals. In order to learn or use a jutsu, a character must have the required rank in the appropriate skill. For example, the Grand Fireball jutsu requires 2 (two) ranks in the Ninjutsu skill in order to learn. So a character with only 1 (one) rank in Ninjutsu does not possess the ability to learn the Grand Fireball jutsu.

On the same note, in order to rank up a jutsu, a character must also increase the appropriate skill. In general, the character must have the appropriate skill at an equal or greater level than the jutsu rank he is trying to achieve. For example, in order to rank up the Grand Fireball jutsu to level 3 (three), the character must possess 3 (three) ranks in the Ninjutsu skill.

I also have most of the clans abilities on paper, but I would really like your opinion on that. My plan is that players can use Character Points to buy membership into the clan as an archetype or template. In the beginning it might not be worth it, but they will be beneficial in the long run.

Well that's all I've got to say for now, tell me what you think and I'll respond when I can.

Animefunkmaster
2009-09-15, 12:24 PM
Sounds like BESM 3rd but everyone has the Dynamic Powers attribute and has a different way to rank up.

Any reason not to use BESM?

kyuubigan
2009-09-15, 12:39 PM
What I'm doing is I'm taking the bare mechanics of Tri-stat and completely revamping everything else about it. I'm trying to create my own unique system using Tri-Stat as a jumping point. And while yes, it is much like BESM, the system I'm creating will be a Naruto RPG, rather than an open system.

Person_Man
2009-09-15, 12:43 PM
I read Naruto manga online weekly, and I'm a fan of the story (though I often have a hard time understanding what's going on, even though I've read every issue). But it doesn't really fit well into a rules based rpg. Ninja have whatever powers the plot demands, within the broad themes of their character and chakra type. Sharingan in particular can do almost anything, and makes absolutely no sense (though in the early comics when it was just about analyzing and copying enemy jutsu, it made sense).

So my advice is to just use the Tome of Battle, and re-fluff it to your needs.

kyuubigan
2009-09-15, 02:57 PM
I'm fully aware of how Kishimoto tends to forget the capabilities of his own characters, Person. What I'm trying to do is alter the system so that players can play their own unique characters in the Naruto world.

P.S. I have the Stats (Body, Mind, Soul) of most of the characters in the series, along with most of their skills in the system.

For example, here's Team 7 (Shippuuden):

Note: A stat of 4 is equal to an average human.

Naruto
Body: 15
Mind: 6
Soul: 15

Sakura
Body: 8
Mind: 12
Soul: 10

Sasuke
Body: 12
Mind: 10
Soul: 13

Kakashi
Body: 12
Mind: 12
Soul: 10

It's not hard to pin down a character's stats if you pay attention. Tri-Stat is a very open-ended system that allows one to make just about anything. The problem is that I'm forced to work out the mechanics for almost all of the jutsu, bloodlines, clans, weapons, and what have you. That's why I'm posting on the boards asking for help with this enormous task.

josh13905
2009-09-23, 09:03 PM
Never heard of the Tri-stat system, but there is a naruto D20 game, which will have all the effects of most jutsus, you could try to adapt them into your system.