PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Long Distance Communication

AintThatASeamus
2009-09-15, 12:22 PM
I have been running two D&D games in the same setting in tandem over the past few months. This past Sunday, I ran a session where the two parties met each other for the first time.

While most of the characters didn't really get along (understandable, given that I set them on opposite sides of a war), two of them really made a connection. Easily the most emotionally troubled and isolated members of their respective groups, the two of them offered each other the support they needed, and vowed to keep in touch when the parties went their separate ways.

The players of these characters have asked me about magical means of keeping in touch over long distances, as both groups are fairly mobile, making mundane means all but useless. Neither of them are spellcasters, and they would both prefer not have to use spellcasters as intermediaries for their communication.

To my mind, that leaves magic items as their only recourse. So the question I pose is this: what magic items allow two non-casters to communicate reliably, and preferably cheaply, over vast distances? The only caveat is that teleportation magic is unavailable in my setting. Thanks for your help!

jiriku
2009-09-15, 12:25 PM
Sending Stones. From MiC, I believe, although I'm AFB.

Glyde
2009-09-15, 12:27 PM
Homebrew in a set of four scrolls - Two given to each character. Messages written on the green (colour coded for your convenience) appear on the orange scroll in the other character's possession. This makes one for sending and one for receiving. After speaking a command word, the text on one scroll clears away.

If they really want to save messages, they can use a wand of...that...cantrip that copies text, and a series of mundane scrolls.

Also - I'm sure there are some official ways of going about this. Probably a magic item of Sending or somesuch.

AintThatASeamus
2009-09-15, 01:51 PM
Sending stones are just what I was looking for! Thanks!

Chrizzt
2009-09-15, 03:25 PM
Alternatively you can have a look at the Farspeaking Amulett, MIC p. 99