PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Fighter [3.5e]

FullbladedDox
2009-09-15, 01:25 PM
I've seen a lot of home-brewed classes that I just love. So, I've decided to create my own. Please, I would love your input and, since this is my first, give my some slack. I know I suck at stuff. Without further ado... The:

Scrap Fighter

“The best way to win the war is to start the battle!” – Dengoff Farrunner, Master Scrap Fighter

The scrap fighter is the guy sitting at the bar or on the street corner. He’s pretty average, until he gets into a fight. Scrap fighters are fighters that are proficient in “pick up” fights. He’s the guy who not only starts the bar room brawl or street riot, but also comes out on top. He cheats, back stabs, and can use almost anything not nailed down as his weapon.

Abilities: Dexterity is essential to a scrap fighter because it allows him a higher AC, better reflex saves, and it helps him with initiative. Strength and constitution are important to a scrap fighter for attacking and defending. Intelligence is important for skill points, which is one of the only things scrap fighters do outside combat.

Races: Any race can be a scrap fighter, though humans, half-orcs, and dwarves are the most common.

Alignment: Any non-lawful

Hit Dice: d8

Starting gold: 1d4x10

Starting age: Simple

The Scrap Fighter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Impro. Weapon Damage

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|My Kind of Weapon, Backstab +1d6|1d4

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Evasion, Drunken Style|1d4

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Viva La Revolution, Backstab +2d6|1d4

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Parkour, Uncanny Dodge|1d6

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Always on Edge, Backstab +3d6|1d6

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+2|Hit the Sauce|1d6

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+2|Crowd walk, Parkour, Backstab +4d6|1d8

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge|1d8

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+3|Backstab +5d6|1d8

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+3|All My Weapons|1d10

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+3|Backstab +6d6|1d10

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+4||1d10

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+4|Backstab +7d6|2d6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+4||2d6

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+5|Backstab +8d6|2d6

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+5||2d8

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+5|Backstab +9d6|2d8

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+6||2d8

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+6|Backstab +10d6|2d10

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6||2d10[/table]
Skill Points (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at 1st level)
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the scrap fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Scrap fighters are proficient in all simple melee weapons, all improvised weapons, and all light armor, but not shields.

My Kind of Weapon: Scrap fighters love using odd weapons. They can use improvised weapons without the -4 penalty. Scrap fighters deal certain damage with their improvised weapons and the damage they deal increases every four levels. Use the above table to keep track of the damage they deal.

Backstab: If a scrap fighter can successfully attack an opponent while flanking or from the back they can strike the enemy where it hurts. The scrap fighter can deal an extra 1d6 damage to an opponent whenever that person is being flanked or if the scrap fighter is attacking from behind. This damage only applies to melee weapons and increases by 1d6 every two levels beyond the first.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a scrap fighter can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the scrap fighter is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless scrap fighter does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Drunken Style: When the scrap fighter reaches 2nd level and higher, he can drink himself into a drunken stupor to double the damage done with improvised weapons. A scrap fighter usually needs at least 5 full drinks to be thrown into a drunken stupor. This doubling does not apply to the scrap fighter’s backstab ability. He also gains +2 dexterity bonus to his AC. While drunk, the scrap fighter takes a -2 to Intelligence and Wisdom. The scrap fighter stays drunk for 1d4 hours, though the ability lasts for 1d8 rounds. Afterwards he is sicken for 1d8 rounds.

Viva La Revolution: Starting at the 3rd level, a scrap fighter can rouse his allies into combat. By making a DC 15 Perform (Speech) check, a scrap fighter can give a +2 morale boost to hit to all allies involved in combat within a 35 ft. radius for 1d4 rounds.

Parkour: Starting at the 4th level, a scrap fighter is a master of movement. A scrap fighter gains +10 ft. to his speed. At 7th level, the scrap fighter gains +5 to all jump and climb checks and Run as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a scrap fighter can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
If a scrap fighter already has uncanny dodge from a different class he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.

Always on Edge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a scrap fighter always seems to be prepared to fight. He has a +1 bonus to initiative and is no long considered flat-footed.

Hit the Sauce (Ex): Starting at the 6th level when a scrap fighter drinks an alcoholic beverage he gains a beneficial ability. He may only use one ability every 1d4+1 rounds. The drink still has its alcoholic qualities.

Revitalizing Brew (Ex): The drink is revitalizing to the scrap fighter and heals twice his scrap fighter level in HP.
Fire-breath Ale (Ex): The drink allows the scrap fighter to use a breath weapon of a 30 ft. cone of fire for 1d4 rounds. The drink feels like it is burning the scrap fighter’s mouth when drunk.
Draft of Tongues (Ex): The scrap fighter is affected as though under the spell Tongues for 1d6 minutes. The drink seems to loosen the tongue and open the ears of the scrap fighter.
Brew of Eye Opening (Ex): The scrap fighter is affected as though under the spell True Seeing for 1d6 minutes. The brew tastes sweeter than a normal drink.
Ale of the Stone (Ex): The drink grants the scrap fighter +4 natural armor bonus for 1d4 minutes. The drink tastes gritty to the scrap fighter.
Lighting Draft (Ex): The drink imbues the scrap fighter with Haste as the spell. This drink causes the scrap fighter’s teeth to chatter.

A scrap fighter may make a Profession (Brew master) check (DC 25) to imbue an alcoholic beverage with one of the scrap fighter’s “Hit the Sauce” abilities as though it where a potion. The drink still has its alcoholic qualities.

Crowd Walk (Ex): At the 7th level, a scrap fighter can move through and attack in a crowd with no penalties.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A scrap fighter of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.
This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has.
If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

All My Weapons: At the 10th level, all simple melee weapons a scrap fighter uses count as improvised weapons in relation to the damage they deal and the range increment they have, unless the weapon has higher damage or range increment. Then, use the higher value.

Playing a Scrap Fighter

Religion: Scrap fighters are not religious by any extent, but some do find religion comforting. Scrap fighters with a religion are rare enough to not serve any common deities. If the scrap fighter is in the pathfinder multiverse, Cayden Cailean is the common god that scrap fighters revere.

Other Classes: Scrap fighters get along with most classes. Lawful characters like paladins and monks usually find scrap fighters to be low-lives and to be to care-free to like.

Role: In almost all parties, the scrap fighter is the secondary combatant and one of the most important skilled characters, since they can use almost all abilities.

Sorry it's so Huge...

Cieyrin
2009-09-15, 03:41 PM
Interesting class, I must say, though perhaps a bit overpowered, at least from the point of view of BAB to hit die to skill points. Why do they get so many skill points, as they focus on combat, by the sounds of it. Some of the class skills don't really make sense, either. Appraise, Concentration, Decipher Script, all Knowledges, Speak Language, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device? I honestly don't expect the average barfly to start speaking at me about magic theory or the movements and schedules of portals to other planes and it just doesn't seem to fit the flavor. I'd bump them back to 4+ or 6+ skill points a level, on par w/ Rangers and Barbarians.

As for abilities, why create your own version of Sneak Attack? Plus, since D&D 3.5 normally doesn't have facing, saying to attack him from behind isn't very useful, since you can't really determine whether you're at his back or not.

Drunken Style is also a bit overpowering. Double both Backstab and his base damage?!? That's a tad much, I say. Maybe if his Backstab progression was at half-progression, especially on a Full BAB class, but this is way too much, especially considering how paltry the penalties are. Also considering how long lasting Drunken Style is, it's fairly easy to be drunk all the time. Also defining how you get drunk enough for Drunken Style to kick in is needed, as it has to take a goodly number of drinks to kick in, I'd say.

Viva La Revolution is a bit out of place as well, as he suddenly gains bardic ability. What does the Morale bonus apply to, also.

Parkour, Always on Edge and Crowd Walk seem a little too much and sudden as well. having them start early at a lesser bonus and advance would help fill out your class without having to resort to the bonus feats you did.

On bonus feats, it's pretty powerful to give such without a bonus feat list attached. They can be anything you want, which makes them far more versatile than Fighter or Psychic Warrior bonus feats. Given how late you get them, it's not so bad but on the other hand, they're again jarring when they appear and if you want to grant bonus feats, you should more evenly spread them out and earlier in the class.

All My Weapons shows up a little late to be useful, as I'd have liked it far earlier, when I could actually use it with a weapon that I can enchant, which consequently makes it worse than the Monk's unarmed strike in difficulty to enchant, as it's pretty difficult to really call a weapon improvised if it's masterworked and magiced up, y'know? >_>;;

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

dentrag2
2009-09-15, 03:49 PM
Parkour needs the level bumped up a bit. +20 movement speed at level four? Congratulations, the average human is now running AS FAST AS A HORSE.

See above poster for other details. I'm lazy.

This seems more like a class for a solo campaign than a team-player, as they would overshadow everyone but a wizard.

FullbladedDox
2009-09-15, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys! I'm going to do some revisions. I edited some things even after I posted for about an hour, so not even close to finished... You are right about a few things. The bonus feats were because I ran out of ideas, but progression of some of the abilities? Hmmm... Also viva la revolution is because he is supposed to be a riot inducer. Actually, there is a rule about getting about behind someone. You get some weird bonus. I don't remember the rule...

Edit: I fixed I few things... How about now? Mostly, I blasted the Bonus feats and moved the last ability up to 10th instead of 20th...

Jallorn
2009-09-15, 11:01 PM
As far as improvised weapons go, he could apparently pick up a pin at 20th level (normally would probably just do 1 damage), and it does 2d10, or a chair at first level (probably 1d8) and it only does 1d6. I think instead you should just have it do x more damage. Simply losing the nonproficiency bonus is already pretty good, although I do concede that it's not enough.

And rather than doubling damage, drunken stupor should have a solid by level damage increase. And there should be a table for the DM to roll on such that certain results have lost stats and others gained stats (I'm thinking one each for a con or dex bonus (you often feel less pain when drunk, and your muscles loosen up), one each for con and dex loss with the other benefiting, one each for con and dex loss, and one for both lost. The damage bonus should remain always though, so it's not a total loss when you get a bad one)

Harley
2009-09-16, 12:20 AM
I would not want to be on the bad side of a Scrap Fighter with a teacup... (points for getting the reference)
That aside, those empty even levels from 12-20 make me cringe. Maybe you could spread out the Scrap Fighter's abilities so that you don't get such a plethora of stuff in one dump, but spread out more evenly?

Milskidasith
2009-09-16, 12:24 AM
Why is it that he can only be in a drunken stupor for, at max, 48 seconds? And why is it that he's drunk for "1d4 hours" but his drunken stupor abilities last 1d8 rounds? It's confusing.

Anyway, it seems kind of strong as far as melee classes go, but it's really got nothing new... it's a rogue that has improvised weapons and the ability to deal double damage while drunk, including the fact that level 20 is a completely dead level.

Cieyrin
2009-09-16, 03:22 PM
Why is it that he can only be in a drunken stupor for, at max, 48 seconds? And why is it that he's drunk for "1d4 hours" but his drunken stupor abilities last 1d8 rounds? It's confusing.

I agree on the point about the abilities lasting only 1d8 rounds. Making it more akin to Rage, as well as looking at the mechanics of the Drunken Master from Complete Warrior would probably put it more in line, I'd say. Does being drunk preclude you from going into another stupor, also, or do they overlap, as I don't see a mechanical disadvantage for the drunkenness after the sickness falls off.

Also, when I meant spreading out the abilities over the levels, I meant for them to advance the bonuses over levels, not just split the abilities as is. Like Always on Edge advancing the initiative bonus by 1 for every 5 levels and so on.

Myou
2009-09-16, 03:33 PM
I agree, scrap the fighter!

Oh, wait, I see what I did there.

*Not qualified to give actual advice.*

I'll get my coat.

Waargh!
2009-09-16, 03:56 PM
What really needs fixing is Hit The Sauce. First of al gaining EXtroardinary abilities, like Tonguse, +4 natural armor, make no sense. There would be SUpernatural abilities.
The +4 natural armor should really be a damage reduction, since you don't really feel pain, or anything, while you are drunk.
The True Seeing can be an EXtroardinary (supernatural) ability. Cause "life is an illusion when there is absense of alcohol". So you know...

Viva la revolution is fine for me. You just inspire your comrades. Anyone that sees a crazy guy like a scrap fighter would be inspired...

What action is to drink? A move action? A standard? One that is made only outside a battle? The 1d8 rounds starts from the time you get drunk or when the battle starts. Clarify a bit the rules

Just keep backstab for flanking. It's fine like that.

Doubling damage on 2nd level is sooo a bad idea. Everyone will just take 2 levels and eventually half the adventureres will be drunk all the time. I suggest giving him damage reduction, it suits him more.