PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Hymn of the Daring Rescue

LibraryOgre
2009-09-15, 03:20 PM
Ok, Hymn of the Daring Rescue (Bard 9) contains the following text.

"Effect: Choose an Ally within 5 squares of you. Until the end of the encounter, that ally can teleport to a space adjacent to you as a move action."

Does that mean they can do it once, or that I can let the Warden teleport around like a maniac over the course of the encounter? I read it as the second, but it's a pretty nice benefit.

tcrudisi
2009-09-15, 03:27 PM
"Effect: Choose an Ally within 5 squares of you. Until the end of the encounter, that ally can teleport to a space adjacent to you as a move action."

Does that mean they can do it once, or that I can let the Warden teleport around like a maniac over the course of the encounter? I read it as the second, but it's a pretty nice benefit.

Your Warden can teleport around like a maniac over the course of the encounter.

Meek
2009-09-15, 03:36 PM
If it was only once, it would say so. Since it says until the end of the encounter, it does exactly what it says – it gives your pal a new usage of his move action, whenever he decides to apply it.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-15, 03:39 PM
Tactically, I'll probably use it to work with the Avenger or the Druid (the Warden likes to charge things), but that's good to know.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-15, 05:16 PM
Combine with Slashing Wake for best effect.

DiscipleofBob
2009-09-15, 06:48 PM
Tactically, I'll probably use it to work with the Avenger or the Druid (the Warden likes to charge things), but that's good to know.

See, I personally think it would work BETTER with the guy who charges and marks.

Think about it, charge, mark, move action to go back to start, enemies must now move a fair distance (if possible) to avoid triggering the mark's penalty, and if they don't, the warden can charge again. Win-win.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-15, 08:53 PM
Good point, Disciple of Bob. However, I'm also a fairly melee-heavy bard... especially since I got rid of Unluck, the power that worked twice.

Colmarr
2009-09-15, 11:15 PM
I can let the Warden teleport around like a maniac over the course of the encounter?

I'm reasonably sure that everyone in the thread already knows this, but some of the posts seem to imply otherwise, so I'll come right out and say it:

The warden can't telport around like a maniac; s/he can teleport to a square adjacent to the bard like a maniac.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-15, 11:59 PM
I'm reasonably sure that everyone in the thread already knows this, but some of the posts seem to imply otherwise, so I'll come right out and say it:

The warden can't telport around like a maniac; s/he can teleport to a square adjacent to the bard like a maniac.

Please realize that, given our warden, it will happen like a maniac, no matter what happens.

warrl
2009-09-16, 02:14 AM
See, I personally think it would work BETTER with the guy who charges and marks.

Think about it, charge, mark, move action to go back to start, enemies must now move a fair distance (if possible) to avoid triggering the mark's penalty, and if they don't, the warden can charge again. Win-win.

Rules problem: charging ends your turn (unless you spend an action point, oh and it's usually house-ruled or RAIed that you can mark after the charge).

Kurald Galain
2009-09-16, 03:17 AM
it's usually house-ruled or RAIed that you can mark after the charge).
Is it? Because it seems to me that paladins and swordmages are expected to mark before the charge. It doesn't seem to bother the pally/swordy players I know.

(of course fighters can mark after the charge by RAW, and for wardens it's a free action so less of a rules hassle)

warrl
2009-09-16, 03:48 AM
Is it? Because it seems to me that paladins and swordmages are expected to mark before the charge. It doesn't seem to bother the pally/swordy players I know.

(of course fighters can mark after the charge by RAW, and for wardens it's a free action so less of a rules hassle)

Fighters mark as *part of* an attack.

A swordmage marks on a minor action, close burst two normally, so may not be able to mark a target before charging it - and can't take a minor action after a charge.

There is actually a 21st-level feat that lets a swordmage mark as a free action after a charge. But a fair number of DMs think that is silly and in effect give that ability for free at level 1. (The feat also makes the mark -3 to hit rather than -2, but that isn't given away for free.)

Kurald Galain
2009-09-16, 04:42 AM
Fighters mark as *part of* an attack.

A swordmage marks on a minor action, close burst two normally, so may not be able to mark a target before charging it - and can't take a minor action after a charge.
Yes, I know that. I have just never met one of these alleged "fair number of DMs" that let certain classes take minor actions after a charge, despite the rules clearly saying that they can't. The ability isn't nearly powerful enough for an epic level feat, in my opinion, but the point of charging is that it has certain drawbacks to compensate for the free movement that it provides.