PDA

View Full Version : Another Extended Quoter's Signature

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-15, 03:37 PM
First part here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6187380#post6187380) (thread-locked)

General (board)

Thread necromancy makes baby thog cry.

Are you talking religion or the Matrix?

There once was a kobold named Pun-Pun,
Who thought that godhood would be fun-fun,
So he found a Sarrukh,
Whose powers he took,
And he told his DM, "I won-won!"

If you have a diminutive stature, speak in a high register, and participate in an elaborate guild-based structure, you might be a munchkin.

]
Conception allows a reflex save? What happens if you don't have Evasion, but make your save for half damage?
Fraternal twins.

DM - "Congratulations, you succeeded in collapsing the mountain on it, the arcane energies tearing the entire area asunder"
Players - "Woo hoo! We did it guys! We kick a-"
DM - "I never said it was dead"

Red Dragon: "*casts Disguise Self* Why yes, I am a Silver Dragon! What would you like?"

"You wake up in the tomb of horrors. Make a Fort save."

Voldemort, even as one of his world's most powerful and fearsome dark wizards, has a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn.

But then they don't have a will save :smalltongue:

'If I hadn't been born a dwarf,' said The Dwarf, 'I would have been ashamed of myself.'

In that case... Lemme put the mind on the burner and AAHHH FIREEEEEE

... Yes, but there aren't any reptiles, mammals, or dinosaurs with six limbs or a breath weapon.

I think V creating a spell specially designed to grab and hold Belkar for extended periods of time is completely plausible by this point.

the only reason he knew it existed was because he was once invited to a mage's symposium where a gnome wizard had tried to mix technology and magic together to mount a lamp, which ended with a Chain Lightning wounding and stunning everyone in the room, himself included.

Good times, good times.

I mean, it's hard to classify a mechanic as "overpowered" if Team Rocket can beat it.

Damn rouges, so overpowdered :smallsigh:

I do not want to make rulings on the core system. That just gets in the way of making the interesting decisions.

"THAT'S how I use my Charisma score in combat, DUMBASS!!"

And this is how Crystal learned her Aesop that there are more important things in life than killing. Not being in constant excruciating pain, for example.

The only thing V wants a partner to be in the bedroom is "quiet, so I can finish reading this ancient tome on spells before I trance." :smallbiggrin:

Hey... HEY! I found the monster's secret weakness! Turns out it's weak to being killed!

It's not even the first time Haley killed this person she knew really well.

All speech besides caveman grunts are colloquial phrases the world could do without.

Smash a wizard's spell component puch [sic], and he turns into a commoner in a dress.
Smash a cleric's holy symbol, and he turns into an expert without the skillpoints.
Smash a druid's divine focus, and he turns into a dire triceratops and stomps on you.

Ok, Giant, we know you're a talented story-teller. Now you're just show-boating.

Oh good, do you know how hard it is to get all eleven pipers to be quiet? I've yet to see an entire set that can tell the difference between a request for a silent night and a request for Silent Night.

A wise woman once said "There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was like, fair!"
Maybe the world needs more Paladins.I dunno, the ones we have aren't helping. :V Maybe the world just needs BETTER paladins.

Part of being Good - and especially of being a Paladin - is opposing Evil. If someone lights up Evil on your Morality Radar, you kind of ought to do something about that.
Opposing Evil does not need to mean punching it in the face. Opposing Evil can mean playing Go with it. It can mean establishing trade relations and introducing, delicately, over time, the idea of things like the rule of law. Some days, it can mean be treating someone with courtesy and respect, even though they're angry and resentful: because not being treated with courtesy and respect is a good way to make someone angry and resentful.
O-Chul is totally my hero, because just like Miko, he opposes Evil everywhere he sees it, and because exactly unlike Miko, force is his weapon of last resort in doing so, not the first thing that comes to hand.

I think many parties could benefit from selling their souls to an eldritch abomination, and I don't appreciate you trying to discourage that.

Ha! I was just about to say that myself :smallbiggrin: Looks like art may have triumphed in the comic section, but in the forums, science is King!!

How To Play A Rogue:

1. Spend 90% of the game doing 1d6+piffle damage.
2. Attempt to set up flanks, only for other melee party members to go, "cool, you got this" and walk out of melee.
3. Gain limited-use invisibility. Use it, do a bajillion in sneak-attack damage to one lowly minion.
4. Get in troble as other players accuse you of being overpowered, and threaten to quit.
5. Go back to doing 1d6+piffle damage.

Working for the government gives you super powers?
(The above may be taken out of context)

Roy is never going to live his death down, huh?

You have now convinced me to play an Aboleth bard who sings about how things are better under the sea as it uses its slime to force people to stay underwater.

We're getting ahead of ourselves. Lets colonise mars before we start making generation ships to other stars.

Then there's Rogue Waves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave), which do extra damage due to Sneak Attack.

So, confirmation that this is Thrym.Yes, that eliminates Parsley, Sage and Rosemary, who were the other suspects.

Well, it goes off when the author gets around to it....So probably tuit rounds.

It gets worse. The template doesn't actually mention taking the creature's charisma score; you have to apply the rule on page 312 of the Monster Manual to figure that out. If you don't, you have a creature with self-awareness, but no ability to perceive anything. It's like taking Plato's cave and boarding up the entrance.

It's like the opposite of the Heart of Gold's Infinite Improbability Drive. Imagine being a peasant working your field, and for the next 2 hours a party of schmucks appear and disappear every few minutes, leaving their +1 footprints all over your freshly ploughed soil.

Yeah, when someone makes Belkar look like a paragon of diplomacy, they are doing something profoundly wrong.

i feel bad for your coworkers having to deal with 3 frost giant assaults

(If I was new to this forum, I would think having Andi say "You stubborn little brat, why won't you ever just do what I tell you to do?!?" was selling Andi being thoroughly in the wrong here way too hard. As it is, I'm surprised the arguments that Andi is in the right took as long to show up as they did.)

Today I learned that on any ship, if a single crewmember does not believe the captain is qualified, then the captain is unqualified.
Brb, joining the Navy. My rise in the ranks shall be meteoric!

When I get old, I want to live in a home where I can take it over by conquest.

If Scotty spendt five minutes on a whiny, passive-aggressive rant questioning why the hell Starfleet put Kirk in charge of a star ship, no reasonable captain would spend another five minutes listening on the off chance there's some critical information coming later.

You commit one little act of genocide and the party leader never lets you live it down.

It's better than canonical, it's funny.

I came here to talk about a web comic, but it turned into a discussion about the Roman Empire.
The internet is a strange place.

As one player discovered, it's not wise to correct the grammar of a dragon.

You know when you are at the gym and there is only one treadmill left open? You and another person want to use it and you end up taking it (possibly kicking them in the nuts while doing so). Thus you better yourself at the expense of others.Usually, that's called assault. Not personal improvement.

Imagine a ballroom dance, except instead of graceful spinning skirts, there are deadly spikes of death.

Having to worship a deity named Blibdoolpoolp is punishment enough.

Paladin: What the?! This farm is full of undead!
Peasant: Yeah, that's Freddie for you; never missed a day of work. Died in summer and came right back up to help with the harvest. Ain't too bright now, but thenagain he never was what we'd call Wizard material

Commoner: Oh! And sir Paladin, stay away from the Rutabaga... it came up particularly mean and evil this year.

[G]etting into retroactive continuity is probably not healthy for your average farmer.

There's a bunch of speculation about why, and it turns out that all the answers to that question make for pretty cool adventures.

I am young enough that when I first read the monk class I immediately thought "Oh so it's like House of Flying Daggers or Naruto". Which I actually feel maybe a worse misconception, considering I was reading 3.0 where the monk Is closer in power level to a random medieval english monk than a martial art's master.....

Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
Lots of books, series, and movies, have a protagonist who is a hero because, deep down, he is an even more dark and terrifying creature than the enemies he hunts. A trained killer killing other trained killers. A demonic vampire hunting lesser vampires. A man with a beast soul slaying monsters who threaten the innocent.
(I can't tell if this is silly or serious, and that worries me.)

Creating a ridiculous mess everywhere you go.That's called being a wizard.

Dragonspider Adept is my vote.

TARQUIN considered Malack a friend and was outraged at his death. Tarquin is not exactly going to join Roy in the Heavans when it's all said and done. So I don't think Belkar caring about the "real Durkon" or about Mr. Scruffy, or other specific single beings, is going to cut the mustard with the Celestial Ratings Bureau, when he honestly doesn't give a sheet about random strangers. He's still a ruthless evil bastard, even if he's our lovable ruthless evil bastard.

Guys, Belkar is only as Evil as 1000 Nazis! He's surely going to a neutral afterlife!

For some reason this feels really fitting; I got a mental image of a bunch of psions setting up a LAN party.

Well, it's not that if you use the correct definition, but don't forget that the *Internet* definition of a deus ex machina is "Any unexpected plot development I don't like". :smallsmile:

Player 1: "My character is an Artist. I make a quick sketch of the suspect"
DM: "Make a skill check"
Player 2: "I cast Silent Image to create a likeness of the suspect."
DM: "OK"

"Hmmm, there's a big boulder on board, I wonder where it could have come from. I mean, we've only seen pictures of frost giants throwing boulders at the ship for 20 strips or so, but let's keep our minds open for other possibilities."

I mean a TTRPG. It's SimAnt's fault in the first place.Now you're just arguing SimAnt-ics.

Uhm... I'm kinda worried now about how often you find giant corpses or giant boulders in your house...

Yeah, stabbing helpless prisoners is a really bad ass thing to be doing.Well, it's a bad thing to do, and an ass thing to do, so...

I'll tell you right now, if anyone asked me whether I thought they should wear a ballista on their head, I'm pretty sure I'd say "no."

An Airbus can make a water landing. Doesn't make it a good idea.But then you can make keel-hauling work!

Most people who get chicken pox do not encounter chickens.Well obviously we need to seriously re-think what were naming our diseases then :smalltongue:

Honestly, arguing about whether previous OotS debates were justified is probably the closest thing to on-topic these discussion threads can get.

Look, I'm as much a fan as anyone here of ridiculously specific, overly semantic arguments, but it'd be nice to argue about how stupid Dvalin is/isn't for accepting/rejecting the vote of a council of vampires/dominated dwarves once it actually happens.

"When the Order of the Stick isn't on the screen, everyone else should be standing around asking, 'Where's the Order of the Stick?'"

Enough with the short jokes, eh?Far be it from me to mock your shortcomings.

"Excuse me, m'lord, but you are two centuries too early to Protestant Reformation. The Inquisition is here to rip out your entrails to help you confess your trespasses, so they can save your soul before your imminent expiration."

If you're citing sources, you're probably serious.False. See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22267427&postcount=150).

If you read this sentence and thought 'can it get to infinite?' then congratulations; you're a typical member of the GitP forums!

What killed them?Lack of hit points, mostly.

[COLOR="#0000FF"]If Rich specifically avoids writing everything that is on these forums, the only thing that will be left for him to write is a great coherent story!

Prophecy, or do not. There is no lie.

You don't control when you use it. Your allies would need to successfully scare or anger you.The One and Only time a Kender would Benefit a party.

So when the Ancient Egyptians removed corpses' brains, they were optimizing them for the afterlife?

Give a man a warhammer, and everything starts to look like a war.

I'm guessing that's an oversight as they probably didn't expect badger wizards.

If a leopard is a valid option and you pick a horse, that's just bad decisionmaking.

Hill giant with +16 attack bonus: Yeah, that's fine.
Hill giant with +19 attack bonus: Oh, God! What is that horrifying monstrosity? How could anyone possibly defeat such a terrifying beast?

GMs shouldn't let everything look like a nail. Sometimes they should get screwy.

When attacking balance, your eyes vanish.It's like Botnik reads this forum.

There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

Changelings are so good at infiltration, they've infiltrated every official setting.

I think EliDupree is "in the lead" right now, for having used the imaginary poison damage to make a Pun-Pun out of a goddamn hairdresser.

It's like an incarnation of 4chan as a creature.
Untouchable vermin, useless and impractical, but potentially annoying for everyone else.

Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

I can't see any situation in which being a shrub would be beneficial and not completely undermined by also having a wizard stand next to you.

Orcs. Truly the Half-Orcs of Monster PCs.

Also your chicken flesh golem will look terrifying, so there's that.

Also, because "milk or be milked!" just seemed like a cool threat. :smallwink:

Right, so, how many butter golems can one make from an established 25 ton benchmark?

Well, duh, you obviously ought to make the orcs Texans. Problem solved.

"If the rogue can't sneak into the Underworld and steal a soul back out to the land of the living, maybe the wizard shouldn't be building their own pocket universe."

Durkon is too Lawful for his own Good. It wasn't an exile, it was a mission and Hurak could send him on missions. That the mission was an obvious pretext is not the point.

Four otyugh siblings were raised as Swordsages by a rat who ended up in the sewer after his owner was assassinated by a rival ninja.

Now they patrol the streets above by night, each named for a famed master of the ancient era.

Mordenkainen is the fun one.
Drawmij always has the right magic item on hand.
Rary is the take-no-prisoners bruiser who dumped CHA.
Leomund is the party face.

If you are modeled after an animal which's [sic] sole purpose is to wake people up in the morning, then yes, you are definitely evil.

Welcome to Druid politics: the losing candidate will be eaten.

It'd be like kids on the playground with "My dad can whup your dad", only the dads might actually show up and fight.

Someone has sat down in front of blank Word documents at Wizard of the Coast HQ, watching the accusing blink, and thought of an ecology for a monster that pretends to be a cloak so it can eat you.

It would be cool, but on reflection it's probably for the best that my basement isn't full of panthers.

juvenikeSome kind of adolescent victory goddess?
Zeus: "Turn down that damn music! You're giving me a headache again!"

If French or German are elves and dwarves, English is a gibbering mouther.

Also, who wants to eat orcs? Seriously, have you ever tasted one?

Imp is another name repurposed for D&D with a long history. It used to mean a child of a noble house ...But how would that come to refer to an evil, lazy, vicious, impatient, poisonous devil...
Ah, yes.

So, when Roy's sword falling off is no longer an issue, Roy falling off is.
Huh.

So in my first game of D&D, my paladin murdered an entire lawful party.

“Yes, well, that’s because you’re a Paladin, sworn to do what’s Lawful and what’s Good. I’m just a Thief, free to do what’s right.”

Durkon: Says here, “If any party is found not t’ be in ‘is right mind, th’ entire contract is automatically nullified.”
Vampire: I don’t know about that.
Durkon: Tha’ is in ev’ry contract. It’s known as a Sanity Clause.
Vampire: You can’t fool me, there ain’t no Sanity Clause.

Can I just say how much I love this thread? You've got people on one side arguing that Paladins killing Evil people without other justification will Fall and lose all their Paladin abilities, and people on other side arguing that if Paladins do not kill every Evil person they encounter will Fall and lose all of their Paladin abilities... both quoting RAW...

.. and the only thing they can all agree on is that the alignment rules are fine as-is and that the Paladin class does not need reform.

Other Fora:

Fanfiction is often fun precisely because it throws a brick through the window that is canon, then makes pretty pictures with the pieces. (https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/mass-effect-story-ideas-19-geth-intentionally-think-up-fanfic.307463/page-493#post-34114390)
—Anzer'ke

For ****s sake people need to stop tossing around the word grimdark every time something slightly bad happens in a series. Having stuff go to **** at the end of the first and second major story arcs is a long and time honored tradition. How the hell are you supposed to show the heroes struggling against a mighty foe and daunting odds if they're constantly winning and never take any losses? (https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/rwby-fanfiction-recommendation-only-thread.376628/page-92#post-34452367)
—Mook91

"So Bob, how is the 'religious AI' project doing?"
"Soulless human abomination! How can meat have a soul? All your filthy kind will be cleansed with fire as God demands!"
"I think it needs some more beta testing." (https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/artificial-intelligence-does-this-unit-have-a-soul.504869/page-3#post-32716880)
—Avernus

I have to question giving Common Sense to a man dressed in a giant rodent costume. (http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=1876908&postcount=20)
—Railstar

My own quotes
I can't believe I'm finding myself explaining to several people why mass murder is not the solution to all of their problems. (http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/34emo1/spoilers_all_tywin_missed_a_golden_opportunity_to/cquc5as)
(This sentiment has come up more often for me than it should have...)

Next, in adventuring news, a special report on a combat happening in the mountains.
It appears that a party of adventurers and a conveniently-chartered endgame airship are fighting a group of ice giants! The party rogue has found herself in melee combat with a group of the giants, including one unruly fellow with an axe that would take a whole team of half-orc barbarians to so much as lift. How did she get into this situation, and why hasn't she left? Let's hear what the lady herself has to say on the subject. Haley?
http://i68.tinypic.com/5wxwqr.png : ...
Fascinating! Back to you, Judy.
(I mostly like the beaten-up Haley icon I made.)

I question the idea that bear armor is common.

Eugenics: The thickest bureaucracy of Soviet Russia and the darkest logistics of Nazi Germany, combined in one terrible policy!

"Why dodge when you can penguin-slide?"

Other player: tries to roll die, misses table
Me: "Well, everyone rolls a 1 sometimes."
Other player: rerolls, rolls a 1
Me: "I didn't mean that way!"