PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Druid Help

Nickatron
2009-09-15, 04:00 PM
I need help choosing feats. I am creating a level 3 Human Druid for our next D&D 3.5 campaign. The books we are allowed to use are the core rulebooks, the complete series, and the two compendium books (Spell and Magic Item). I am aware of the druid handbook, but most of the suggestions come from books that are banned in our campaign. I will be the groups primary healer, but I would like to make full use of the wild shape ability if that helps in your suggestions.

BTW the smiles on this site rock! :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2009-09-15, 04:07 PM
Well, depending on DM, you may be able to pick up Multiattack now, which is a really nice feat for Wildshaping. Touch of Healing reserve [Complete Mage] is a decent healing option, but as it can only heal you to half, you should only use it when you can't do the normal Wand-healing which makes it quite poor (btw, considering most Wildshape-forms can't use Wands, it's worth having another character with Use Magic Device in the party if you plan on Wildshaping extensively).

Other options include Augment Summoning (summons are always good on a Druid), Extend Spell (especially for later on and Creeping Cold), Natural Bond (to buff your AC), Craft-feats (Craft Wondrous Items is wonderful for a Druid; Monk's Belt, Wilding Clasps, Periapts of Wis, everything a Druid wants is a Wondrous Item), etc. Obviously Natural Spell on 6.

Keld Denar
2009-09-15, 04:15 PM
If you want to do a bunch of healing, Spontaneous Healer (CDivine) is probably a good idea. Also, Natural Spell (PHB). I'd also recommend Spell Focus (Conjouration) and Augmented Summoning (both PHB), since summoned creatures can absorb hits as well. Think of it as proactive healing. Don't forget about Summon Nature's Ally when you want to heal. A single unicorn (SNAIII) is capable of producing more healing than a single Cure Serious Wounds spell. Thats efficiency, and at higher levels you can either get MORE unicorns, or summon bigger stuff with better heals, like Cuatls, provided the rainbow overload doesn't kill you (I kid).

Also, most of your out of combat healing should be done with a Wand of Lesser Vigor. LV is in Complete Divine, and will heal 11 points per charge. Better than the 1d8+1 that CLW gives. Same price too. For a bit more cash, you can get a Pearl of Power 1, memorize a single Lesser Vigor, and heal up to 15 points out of combat by level 5. Thats a pretty good investment. Everyone in your party can also pitch in and buy some, or you can craft them (Craft Wonderous, VERY GOOD FEAT!) and have a nearly unlimited amount of out of combat healing, so long as you don't get killed, that is! :P

Nickatron
2009-09-15, 04:43 PM
DM says I must have the ability to use 3 or more natural attacks before taking the multiattack feat, so basically I need to be lvl 5+ before taking the feat.

Lvl 1: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning
Lvl 3: ???
Lvl 6: Natural Spell

Nickatron
2009-09-15, 04:48 PM
Craft Wondrous Item costs XP every time you make an item :smallfrown:

Natural Bond seems useless unless you multi-class

Kylarra
2009-09-15, 04:51 PM
If you don't want craft wondrous item, just grab Natural Bond (CAdv) so you can pick up a stronger AC

Nickatron
2009-09-15, 04:54 PM
Bah, you beat me before I edited my post :smallsmile:

Akal Saris
2009-09-15, 04:54 PM
How about this as an option:

1st: Improved Initiative
1st: Companion spellbound (Complete Adventurer or C. Scoundrel: can share spells with your animal companion up to 30ft away)
3rd: Craft Wondrous Item
6th: Natural Spell
9th: Quicken Spell

It's pretty much the build I use on my druid - companion spellbound's proven extremely useful so far for buffing, and if your DM allows you to count as an animal in wildshape like in 3.0, it goes from useful to awesome.

Eldariel
2009-09-15, 04:56 PM

By a reading, Natural Bond can be used to mitigate the adjustment of a higher-level AC. As for Craft, yes, it costs you XP but then you'll be a level lower and get more XP from encounters and catch up fast enough.

XP costs aren't really a problem, especially when they're small like with crafting wondrous items (25th of the total cost). Don't let them sway you from Crafting; indeed, gold is much more valuable than XP in this game by default so being able to get your items for ½ price far outweighs the XP expediture, especially since this means you can craft whatever the hell you want.

And yeah, Companion Spellbond is a great feat too; Greater Magic Fangs, Barkskins, Air Walks, etc. that's a lot of saved spells in buffing if both use the same (though it removes some strategic versatility in terms of arranging ambushes, chasing down fleeing opponents and so on). Lesser Rod of Chain Spell does this arguably better tho.

Kylarra
2009-09-15, 04:57 PM

Natural Bond seems useless unless you multi-classEr no, it lets you use stronger base creatures like these (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/Classes/druid.htm#alternativeAnimalCompanions) and obviate the penalty for doing so.

Emy
2009-09-15, 05:03 PM

Fleshraker Dinosaur :D

Nickatron
2009-09-15, 05:09 PM
I don't think Natural Bond works like you think it does.

NATURAL BOND:
Add three to your effective druid level for
the purpose of determining the bonus Hit Dice, extra
tricks, special abilities, and other bonuses that your
animal companion receives (see page 36 of the Player’s
Handbook). This bonus can never make your effective
druid level exceed your character level.

Eldariel
2009-09-15, 05:12 PM
I don't think Natural Bond works like you think it does.

The gist of it is that higher level companions reduce your effective Druid-level so then Natural Bond can again increase your effective Druid-level to compensate for the loss. Bonuses are always applied in the most beneficial order.

Nickatron
2009-09-15, 05:21 PM
It all makes sence now :smallsmile:

Keewatin
2009-09-16, 06:09 AM
How about this as an option:

1st: Improved Initiative
1st: Companion spellbound (Complete Adventurer or C. Scoundrel: can share spells with your animal companion up to 30ft away)
3rd: Craft Wondrous Item
6th: Natural Spell
9th: Quicken Spell

It's pretty much the build I use on my druid - companion spellbound's proven extremely useful so far for buffing, and if your DM allows you to count as an animal in wildshape like in 3.0, it goes from useful to awesome.

I cant find companion spellbound in either of those books do you have a page number?

Atelm
2009-09-16, 06:15 AM
I cant find companion spellbound in either of those books do you have a page number?

The feat is in Player's Handbook II page 77.

Zanros
2010-06-08, 02:39 AM
For Rangers however Natural Bond works to help your animal companion grow stronger cause as a ranger your effective character level is lower than your actual character level to begin with.

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 02:42 AM
G'day g'day! Welcome to the playground! Might want to check out zee rulez (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1), specially the part about thead necromancy. Remember, ALWAYS check the last post date before posting.

If you want to comment on a dead thread, proper ettiquette round here is to start a new thread, link the post relating to it, quote any relevant parts from it, and build from there.

Welcome!

Roland St. Jude
2010-06-08, 09:29 AM
Sheriff: Thread necromancy.