PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] SLAs...and how to get them

Thurbane
2009-09-15, 10:24 PM
So, not including epic or psionics (for the sake of simplicity), so far I've got:

Base Classes
Dragonfire Adept (invocations)
Factotum (arcane dilettante)
Shadowcaster (mysteries, 7th+)
Spellthief (steal spell-like ability, 5th+)
Warlock (invocations)

Prestige Classes
Archmage
Runesmith

Feats I
Communicator
Fey Legacy
Fey Presence
Fiendish Legacy
Fiendish Presence
Innate Spell
Insightful
Natural Trickster
Necropolis Born
Night Haunt
Soul of the North
Spell Hand

Feats II
Boost Spell-like Ability
Consecrate Spell-like Ability
Corrupt Spell-like Ability
Empower Spell-like Ability
Heighten Spell-like Ability
Mortalbane
Purify Spell-like Ability
Quicken Spell-like Ability
Spell-like Ability Focus
Violate Spell-Like Ability

Races
Chaos Gnome
Gnome
Ice Gnome
Drow
Svirfneblin
Uldra
Whisper Gnome

Templates
Half-celestial
Half-elemental
Half-farspawn
Half-fey
Half-fiend

deuxhero
2009-09-15, 10:31 PM
The psionic equivlent of feindish/celestial creature (should be in the SRD) gives you a **** ton of psi like abilitys, transparency should allow meta-SLA to apply to them.

Alleine
2009-09-15, 10:57 PM
Binder isn't an SLA user, its abilities are all pretty much SU, as are all vestige-granted abilities.

Vortling
2009-09-15, 11:02 PM
While not a class, the Half Fey template (+2 LA) from the Fiend Folio grants a laundry list of SLAs based off your HD including charm person at-will at the very beginning.

Thurbane
2009-09-15, 11:35 PM
Binder isn't an SLA user, its abilities are all pretty much SU, as are all vestige-granted abilities.
Oh...:smallredface:

infinitypanda
2009-09-16, 12:15 AM
While it's not exactly SLA based, the Factotum gets some pretty powerful SLAs. Among other things.

lsfreak
2009-09-16, 12:30 AM
Higher levels of shadowcasters have their mysteries go from spells to spell-like abilities to supernatural abilities.

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-16, 12:44 AM
A friend of mine likes to take levels in archmage to turn spells into SLAs, then a feat (Supernatural Something-Or-Other) to turn those SLAs into Su abilities. And then uses Dragonwrought to take Epic Emanation to make them always-on. I'm fairly sure he used something innocuous and Metamagicked it into something deadly.

No SR, no Save, just Die?

Sounds about right, for a tier 1.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-16, 12:51 AM
Supernatural Transformation, in Savage Species, for those interested. Would be a very interesting thing to do. It's a shame you couldn't get enough feats to do it to more than one spell (Archmage at level 15, feat at level 18) before Epic. Being Dragonwrought for Epic feats seems kind of silly for a level 18 ability, since I assume a non-epic campaign doesn't even have Epic feats in existence to take (or at least, I would rule it that way - not that I would allow a Dragonwrought Kobold to take Epic feats pre-Epic to begin with, even in a campaign destined to go Epic).

olentu
2009-09-16, 01:04 AM
I seem to recall supernatural transformation only working in spell like abilities that are innate to the creature.

Fizban
2009-09-16, 06:16 AM
Templates
Phrenic (psionic, XPH)
Half-Elemental (Manual of the Planes, 4 different flavors)
Half-Pseudonatural (Lords of Madness probably)

Also give HD based SLA progressions in return for a few levels of adjustment. Generally the only adjustments worth considering for payment since they get better as you level up, assuming you count total HD rather than just racial HD.

Burley
2009-09-16, 06:25 AM
Base Classes
Dragonfire Adept (invocations)
Factotum (invocations)
Shadowcaster (mysteries, 7th+)
Spellthief (steal spell-like ability, 5th+)
Warlock (arcane dilettante)

You mixed up Factotum and Warlock on your list. Warlocks gots invocations.

Drogorn
2009-09-16, 08:42 AM
Spellstitched template from Complete Arcane. Note that this is an acquired template that an undead creature can apply to themselves.

Person_Man
2009-09-16, 08:56 AM
In know that you specifically didn't include psionics, but its worth mentioning that with Transparency rules in effect (the default), psionics and incarnum are basically treated the same as magic for Spell Resistance, Antimagic Field, Dispel Magic, etc. In particular, incarnum chakra bind abilities basically mirror spell-like abilities (ie, once bound you can use most of them infinitely) with the exception of the fact that you don't need to cast defensively to avoid AoO.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-16, 09:21 AM
I seem to recall supernatural transformation only working in spell like abilities that are innate to the creature.

RAW says otherwise. That would be a CustServ ruling. CustServ has a notorious habit of making things much worse than they really should be.

Cyclocone
2009-09-16, 10:01 AM
Disclaimer: I am AFB, so i can't check if the listed PrCs actually have SLAs or if they're (Su).

PrCs:
Pale Master (LM)
Lord of the Dead (here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x)).
Wild Sould (CMag (or is it CArc?))
Rainbow Servant (CD).
Shadow Adept (PGtF).
There's also that PrC in Explorers Handbook, that i can't remeber the name of; it's somethink akin to Lightning Warrior though, that much i'm sure of.
Duskblade! (PHBII) How could i forget?
And Paladin! (duh!)
Cabinet Trickster (RoE)
Don't Shugenja get detect magic or something?

Templates:
Radiant Creature gets a crapton.
Shadow Creature.
Half Illithid.

Nohwl
2009-09-16, 10:20 AM
hierophant should be added under prestige classes.

dragonmark feats give some, and crystalkeep has a list, [feats that grant spells] but i can't check their accuracy.

don't forget aasimar and tiefling.

Alleine
2009-09-16, 12:09 PM
Mindbender gets a bunch of SLA's for domination and such.

All of the dragonmark feats give you a choice of a few SLAs.

JellyPooga
2009-09-16, 12:14 PM
The Shadow-Walker template from Unnaproachable East grants a slew of darkness themed SLA's based on your HD.

Person_Man
2009-09-16, 12:41 PM
Also, are we including polished homebrew work? SLA are very popular, in that they're far easier to write and balance compared to full casters.

satorian
2009-09-16, 12:47 PM
Feats: Draconic Heritage line.

olentu
2009-09-16, 04:07 PM
RAW says otherwise. That would be a CustServ ruling. CustServ has a notorious habit of making things much worse than they really should be.

Actually after checking it seems that what I was remembering was that the raw uses the term innate spell like ability as I never consider CustServ rulings to be worth anything. Innate is used several other times in the book but I have not found a definition spelled out. So while in my memory I was interpreting the term innate as I would for general speaking it seems that barring a DM ruling on the term innate as related to "innate spell-like abilities" the feat is undefined as to how it functions.

avr
2009-09-16, 04:37 PM
Dragonmarks are (generally) feat based SLAs.

If you have the Dragonmarked book (Eberron, obviously) you can actually do some fairly fun stuff with them.

I think the Explorers Handbook one which Cyclocone mentions is Thunder Guide. It sucks.

Zaq
2009-09-16, 09:17 PM
Paladins actually get a couple SLAs. Detect Evil, Special Mount, and Remove Disease are all SLAs.

Also, some bardic music effects are considered SLAs.

I don't have the book open, but since a Paladin's Detect is an SLA, I'd wager that an Incarnate's Detect is also an SLA.

You've gotta look for the little things.

Glimbur
2009-09-16, 09:47 PM
I don't have the book open, but since a Paladin's Detect is an SLA, I'd wager that an Incarnate's Detect is also an SLA.

Confirmed.

Sapphire Hierarchs, from Magic of Incarnum, get Commune as a SLA but only while near the Sapphire Eidolon. 3 times a level until 10th level, when it is 1/month.

Witchborn Binders get Word of Abrogation, which seems to act like a Dispel Magic set to counterspell but is tagged as a spell like ability. This isn't nearly as silly as getting money as a class feature.

There's lots of Su abilities in that book, but almost no SLA's.