PDA

View Full Version : Race name help

Yar
2009-09-15, 11:02 PM
Ok The idea is Half Dwarf/Half Orc. I need a name for the species. Funny names aside. This is something im seriously brewing for my homebrew world.

Sadly the best Name i can come up with is "Dork" As you can see i need help.

Owrtho
2009-09-15, 11:13 PM
Maybe Orif?

Owrtho

deuxhero
2009-09-15, 11:22 PM
Whycaneverydndraceinterbreedians?

Jallorn
2009-09-15, 11:25 PM
Zwergindi. I used german (language from which dwarf originates) and one of Tolkein's earlier takes on the orc, and meshed them together. It would be better if I knew more about their culture, the sound of a name can really effect the way a species or race is interpreted.

A wizard did it,

Magic,

common ancestor,

Tolkein did it (Half-Elf and Half-Orc anyway),

should I keep going?

Sereg
2009-09-15, 11:29 PM

Becauseiftheycan'tthey'renotracesbutspecies.

As for the original question, I'm assuming you're reffering to what humans would call them. Orcs and dwarves would call them half-dwarves and half-orcs respectively (or more probably whatever that would be in their own languages). Dworcs would probably be easiest, though this would be different depending on the langauges of your campaign. There is a good chance that humans would borrow the term used by another race.

Paulus
2009-09-15, 11:54 PM
Ok The idea is Half Dwarf/Half Orc. I need a name for the species. Funny names aside. This is something im seriously brewing for my homebrew world.

Sadly the best Name i can come up with is "Dork" As you can see i need help.

Well I think you're on the right track. Dworc, Dwok,Dwor, Oarves, Orves, Orvs... or go more exotic. De'worc, De'woks, De'arvs, Do'rocs, De'orcs, De'vorcs, De'vorks, Dw'orks, Or'vaks...

or be quixotic! Zevorcs, Xorkes, Xovawks, Zovawks, Dwovks, Dworras, Orkavles, Orcasions, Orcacles, Orricks, Dwarricks, Dwarkinorc, Orcdwar...

The possibilities are endless! Good luck!

Yar
2009-09-16, 01:34 AM
The basic back story of the species is an angoing and ancient orc vs dwarf war. Atrocities were committed against the law loving dwarfs by the slathering chaotic hordes of orcs. Some of these atrocities beget orc/dwarf hybrids.

That's it in a nutshell. There is a way more complecated description but might be OT for this thread to go to far into it. plus my players may be lurking and i dont want to spoil the fun.

Rigon
2009-09-16, 01:58 AM
in this case you could use something descriptive as well, like:
"orc-tainted", "rapeborn"... and so on.

Yar
2009-09-16, 02:31 AM
Rapeborn? ACK!

Kinda likeing a slight bastardization of one of the names paulus Sugjested. Zevorcs Digivolve into Zevarok. Which could mean Rapeborn Or Orc-tained/blooded in dwarven.

Ouranos
2009-09-16, 05:00 AM
Owrfs mayhaps? :P

Telonius
2009-09-16, 09:15 AM
To portmanteau some Tolkien: Urkhazad

Yar
2009-09-16, 02:14 PM
Thank you for all your help everyone I think im going with Zevarok.

Now for my next race help...

Winged species that comes in two subspecis.

One subspecies is from an advanced society, This Greek/Rome without all the war and barbarism and a more pronounced emphasis on the arts. also gender rolls are reversed.

The other Went down a slightly different evolutionary path. they never advanced out of the barbaric aspect of their species. they are much less numerous than their more advanced cousin. They live in Small communities on a small continent not unlike Skull island from the king kong movie.

Anyway my namesing skills are lame My preshus!

Owrtho
2009-09-16, 05:23 PM
Could you give some description on what they look like, what kind of wings they have, are they bird like, etc? It might help you get names that are more appropriate.

Owrtho

deuxhero
2009-09-16, 06:45 PM
Becauseiftheycan'tthey'renotracesbutspecies.

Or prehaps Whydofantasyandscifihavenameswithapostrophes

Though seriously, try cutting these three names up and change the ends, could produce something intresting..

Yar
2009-09-16, 11:02 PM
Feathery wings.. Basicaly Humans with wings Some have bird spotting on their hair.

Devixer
2009-09-16, 11:06 PM
How about the Angelics for the more advanced type?

My naming skills are as bad as yours, but I'll try to help anyway.

Yar
2009-09-16, 11:22 PM
Anything helps if it sparks something. I dont care how silly it sounds bouncing ideas off my brain is likely to dislodge an idea or two.

Paulus
2009-09-17, 12:51 AM
Thank you for all your help everyone I think im going with Zevarok.

Now for my next race help...

Winged species that comes in two subspecis.

One subspecies is from an advanced society, This Greek/Rome without all the war and barbarism and a more pronounced emphasis on the arts. also gender rolls are reversed.

The other Went down a slightly different evolutionary path. they never advanced out of the barbaric aspect of their species. they are much less numerous than their more advanced cousin. They live in Small communities on a small continent not unlike Skull island from the king kong movie.

Anyway my namesing skills are lame My preshus!

It's me again, glad I could help! As for your birds, like Raptorians yes? Easy enough, just follow the bird theme.

Egaleons, Owlians, Hawkins (snicker) Hawkers, Hawkerocs (a combo of hawk and roc, the giant bird) Phoneticans (phoenix and greekish to boot! too bad they are real peoples, heh heh!) Phoenixians, Phonexians, Owlrocs, Vultiros, Birdarians, Burdarians, Berdarians, Owlflens... or be more generalistic!

Feathians, Talions, Talonaze, Featheraze, Fetherahz, Periginians, Pergrininans, Perigranians, Flocktise, Pigeonians, Sparrowtans (this is madness!) Sparrotans.

Or look up! Angelicers, Angelbacks, Angelicanians, Angelers, Cloudins, Cloudians, Cloudiers, Cloudinians! The possibilities are endless! good luck!

Yar
2009-09-18, 01:15 AM
Hmm keep em coming. I felt something move in my brain.

Eloel
2009-09-18, 01:46 AM
I know! Raptorans!

Yar
2009-09-18, 01:49 AM
Im kinda wanting to drift away from Sci fi sounding names. Raptorians is cool sounding But kinda 50's space movie sounding. By brain is most certainly flopping around up there.

Calmar
2009-09-18, 02:06 AM
I don't think you should mix the words "dwarf" and "orc" to give them a name. Half-dragon/half-humans, for example" aren't called "hurons", and neither are half-eves called "elmans".

I think your half-dwarves/half-orcs should have three names. A dwarven, an orc and their own name. I guess orcs and dwarves would call them something like "bastards", or "changelings (in terms of an unwanted child, not a shapeshifter), just in their own languages (= some free-of-sense fantasy word like 'bhagnûl', or 'skarrgh', etc). :smallsmile:

Eloel
2009-09-18, 03:17 AM
Im kinda wanting to drift away from Sci fi sounding names. Raptorians is cool sounding But kinda 50's space movie sounding. By brain is most certainly flopping around up there.

Raptoran actually exists. Races of the Wild. Flying guys :)

Yar
2009-09-18, 12:24 PM
Raptoran actually exists. Races of the Wild. Flying guys :)

Still sounds more sci-fi ish than i am looking for.

For the Stately sophisticated ones i was thinking Aeodrin

For the savage ones i was thinking Shriku

still not 100% satisfied though.