PDA

View Full Version : beginner. 3.5 D&D

Mystic Muse
2009-09-15, 11:12 PM
I'm looking for a beginner version of D&D 3.5. The reason being I think my cousins would like to play but I don't know if they're mature or attentive enough to go through all the rules all at once. I'm thinking of even streamlining the skills system a little to make it easier for them. If you can't help that's fine. We may not play at all because of their mother for reasons I'm not sure of right now. I plan on asking her why ASAP but ASAP could be tomorrow or easily two months from now.

if wizards are beginner friendly they're fine. these kids are going to look at the damage and go for those spells. not the broken spells most people know of.

imperialspectre
2009-09-15, 11:26 PM
Set them up with a Sorcerer, a Favored Soul, a Barbarian, and a Rogue for the smartest/quickest-to-grasp-tactics one.

That should probably keep things pretty simple, as long as you help them avoid obvious traps and give them relatively straightforward challenges to deal with.

Keewatin
2009-09-15, 11:28 PM
Well the easiest way to make it simple is stick to core and play low level.

Another thing you can do is switch many of the opposed rolles to DCs with the (non player) just taking 10 +skill mod or ability mod. SO things like grapple checks initive spot vs hide etc...

If you make or at least start characters for them (like make them all rangers and let them modify things as they level up) then they can learn the rules without the headache of character creation to start.

DO a simple adventure to start, (find the evidence of a goblin raid on a wagon caravan, track down the bandits to a simple cave with a few rooms) see how they handle it then see what they are interested in from there.

having them all be the same class and race will let them learn the rules and get a feel for playing and story telling so they can go back and make characters with some knowledge of whats important.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-15, 11:34 PM
Wizard's published a basic box set with some miniatures pre-gen characters and a subset of the rules.

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Game-Dungeon-Dragons-Roleplaying/dp/0786934093

If you turn it into an ongoing campaign you will want the full rules (and more adventures) but this might be enough for now.

PS. if you do start using the full rules and they are familiar with CCGs I'd play core+ToB, replacing the melee classes with ToB classes ... easily playable with printed out manoeuvre cards and just plain more fun IMO.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-16, 12:00 AM
sorry pinkysbrain. I'm looking for free solutions since I currently have no money

I'll try and find what each of them likes. I know the one likes rogues and two of them were warriors in a game we played before. (please I beg you. don't ask about this game)

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-16, 12:06 AM
Free makes it harder. If you want a simplified version, and have a few internet connections, you may try D&D Online. I believe they recently switched to being a free-play game, though the download will take a while.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-16, 12:13 AM
Wait, what? Free?

PhoenixRivers
2009-09-16, 12:16 AM
Wait, what? Free?

Mmhmm, 2 characters free, though you can pay for extra races/classes/quests/characters/etc. But the game is, by and large, free.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-16, 12:16 AM
yes. as in some internet site with a tutorial, some downloadable summary or just general advice which has been good so far.

EDIT: I think Pharaoh's fist was talking to me.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-16, 12:20 AM
You'll never know now.

Sliver
2009-09-16, 01:53 AM
This (http://www.gamespy.com/articles/633/633817p1.html) might help, I donno, try it out.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-16, 02:38 AM
I may just get that from my library. seems like it might work. I've used it before but I don't remember too much of it and I doubt my players would have time to read it all. =/

Calmar
2009-09-16, 05:37 AM
I am a proud owner of the Dungeons and Dragons Starter Set (http://www.drosi.de/md/md100248a.jpg). It offers a simplified version of D&D und uses the iconic 3rd Ed characters.

A char sheet looks a follows:

Character uses the normal elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)
Initiative is a fixed value. (E.g.: Jozan the cleric has an initiative of 9, because of his low Dex.)
The movement rate is specified in squares, not feet. (E.g.: Jozan has a movement of 4 squares, Mialee the wizard 6. )
There is no AC value for touch and flat-footed. (Just normal AC, and AC when using ranged weapon instead of a one-handed weapon and shield)
Whenever a d20 is used, it is indicated in the entry. (Morningstar Attack Roll 1d20+1, Damage Roll 1d8+1. The same goes for Saves and Skills, although there are only Diplomacy, Disable Device, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, and Spot)
A spellcasting character has three 0 level and three 1st level spells. (Jozan, for example, can cast detect magic, light, read magic as well as bless, cure light wounds and protection from evil per day)
Dwarves get no bonuses against goblins. Instead goblins are supposed to act fearfully towards dwarves and to try to avoid them as good as possible in combat.
A character gets the normal 1st-level hit point value, but you're dead at 0 hp

bosssmiley
2009-09-16, 09:33 AM
sorry pinkysbrain. I'm looking for free solutions since I currently have no money

I'll try and find what each of them likes. I know the one likes rogues and two of them were warriors in a game we played before. (please I beg you. don't ask about this game)

Dan's Diminutive d20 (http://www.superdan.net/dimd20/) - D&D3 distilled down to about 12 pages. Completely free.

Generic Classes: 3 core classes (Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard), with easy-to-remember saves and skills.
Limited Levels and Magic: Just 12 character levels, with 5 magic items maximum.
Level-Based Skills and Uniform Feats: No recording skill points. Fighters just get one feat every level; no table-lookups required.
Equipment in Brief: Your core adventuring needs, with a unique measuring system that makes encumbrance a snap.
Monsters Redux: All the major monsters, reduced to fit in just 3 pages.

@vvv: IIRC you can buy holy water and a cheap jug of healing potion. Healbot is obsolete in two easy steps, and the players learn caution fast. :smallbiggrin:

PinkysBrain
2009-09-16, 09:53 AM
Free makes it harder. If you want a simplified version, and have a few internet connections, you may try D&D Online. I believe they recently switched to being a free-play game, though the download will take a while.
That's only remotely near the same experience if you have a lot of computers in the same room ... even then their mothers might have even bigger objections to addicting them to MMORPGs :)

ericgrau
2009-09-16, 10:50 AM
Barbarians and DM pre-made sorcerers. If any of them want a skillmonkey, make sure you help them pick the right skills and constantly ask for the appropriate checks. Understand thoroughly how they work, since all the work must be on your end now. My sig can help you there. But really barbarians and sorcs should cover them in a basic-style campaign.

Specifically I'd ban wizards, druids, monks and bards. Fighters, paladins, rangers, rogues and clerics are iffy. Especially the ranger and rogue, unless you handle skills. OTOH they may need a cleric, though he'll probably be played as a boring healbot. Maybe you could pre-make a favored soul or else give them lots of potions and leave them clericless.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-16, 11:00 AM
Dan's Diminutive d20 (http://www.superdan.net/dimd20/) - D&D3 distilled down to about 12 pages. Completely free.

Out of curiosity.. isn't odd (even if interesting) the lack of an healer ?

ken-do-nim
2009-09-16, 11:09 AM
I'm going to recommend Castles & Crusades.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-16, 11:38 AM
castles and crusades?

valadil
2009-09-16, 11:42 AM
I recommend you make their characters for them. Or at least make a bunch of premade characters and let them pick which one they'll be. It should be pretty easy to make a couple level one characters who aren't very complex and just happen to be balanced to each other.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-16, 11:44 AM
sounds good. I just need to make sure their mom is comfortable with them playing D&D

oh and them all playing DDO would require them all having computers with internet access which they don't.

ken-do-nim
2009-09-16, 01:00 PM
castles and crusades?

Oh sorry didn't realize you hadn't heard of it. Made by Troll Lord Games with the OGL, the website is here http://www.trolllord.com/cnc/index.html. It is basically 3E lite. No feats. Skills and saving throws are wrapped into the ability score system. I haven't played it, but it looks very cool and I think would be much easier for newbies to learn. Then later you can introduce 3.5 with its concepts of feats, multi-classing, prestige classes, and "builds".

Edit: They have a free download of the quick start rules here:
http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf