PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone

Athaniar
2009-09-16, 02:44 AM
A general discussion thread about the Twilight Zone (all three series), created to avoid derailing another thread.

Where to start? Well, I've seen almost every episode of the second series, but nothing of the others. Since the theme can vary extremely between different episodes, quality does, too. I can't recall any particularly good or bad episode right now, but there are both kinds.

chiasaur11
2009-09-16, 10:34 AM
Matheson's episodes tend to be excellent.

Gremlin on the plane wing, anyone?

Lord Seth
2009-09-16, 03:27 PM
It was a very hit and miss show. Some episodes were pretty good while some were pretty awful. I think the series would've greatly benefited had they made some stories a quarter of an hour and showed two of them in a half-hour episode. Some episodes that might have worked as a quarter-hour episode were stretched out to be a half-hour, and became very tedious due to that. The episode The Eye of the Beholder really suffered from this, because not only was it extremely boring, I figured out the twist about five minutes in. If its length had been cut in half, it definitely would've been improved. At any rate I wouldn't have spent about 15 minutes waiting for the episode to reveal what I had already figured out.

littlequietguy
2009-09-16, 05:40 PM
Black-and-White is cool and nostalgic. Is it already retro? If not it will become retro soon. This fact excuses the series of many of its faults.

Gorgondantess
2009-09-16, 07:39 PM
Twilight Zone Marathon on Sci-Fi every new year's. While others go out and get hammered, I stay at home and watch Twilight Zone with my sister.:smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-09-17, 09:07 AM
By the way, how many episodes are there without any supernatural and/or sci-fi elements whatsoever? I can only think of one at the moment: Shelter Skelter, in which a man creates a nuke-proof bomb shelter. I won't spoil the ending, but it wasn't fantasy or sci-fi.

Lord Seth
2009-09-17, 11:06 AM
By the way, how many episodes are there without any supernatural and/or sci-fi elements whatsoever? I can only think of one at the moment: Shelter Skelter, in which a man creates a nuke-proof bomb shelter. I won't spoil the ending, but it wasn't fantasy or sci-fi.I loved the parody of that on The Simpsons.

A comet is going to hit Springfield, and Homer has a shelter ready. The Simpsons get into it, and everyone else shows up, apparently ready to break down the door and get in, but when Homer says he won't let anyone in, they all just shrug and start to leave, but then he changes his mind and lets everyone in. Unfortunately, it gets too crowded and they can't close the door, and they kick Ned Flanders out. Then everyone feels really bad about it and everyone exits the shelter and waits for the comet to hit. However, the comet burns up mostly in the atmosphere and it hits the shelter, which is the only thing destroyed.I don't think "Dust" had any kind of science fiction/fantasy elements either.