PDA

View Full Version : Need a Subterranean race

Adventurer
2009-09-16, 07:56 AM
I'm looking for a subterranean race to pitch against a lv.1 party in my campaign. The only condition is that they have to speak Undercommon.

Does anyone know of a race that I could use? Otherwise do you have any ideas of what kind of race that fills these prerequisites I could create (eg some kind of molemen or simply a kind of cavemen)?

In the story, if it helps, they have been coerced by a secret villain to exit their subterranean dwelling and attack a neighbouring human village, kidnapping some of them in the process.

Thanks in advance:smallsmile:

daggaz
2009-09-16, 08:08 AM
theres tons of them.. a few more specifics from what you need them to be like, strengths, etc, would help.

first one came to mind for me were grimlocks, who are blind but have blindsense. then there are troglodytes, kobolds, goblins, orcs, drow, duergar, svirnefblin (whatever), ..the list goes on and on. I think upwards of 2/3rds of all monsters ever written for DnD live in caves, or can do so.

Frog Dragon
2009-09-16, 08:10 AM
Duergar? Kuo-Toa? They can both fit to low levels, but there really isn't many low CR subterranean evils. Drow (overused), Kuo-Toa and Duergar could fit though.

NPCMook
2009-09-16, 08:14 AM
Kobolds! (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kobold.htm)

They gain Undercommon as a bonus language :smallbiggrin:

BooNL
2009-09-16, 10:06 AM
Races of Destiny has a subterranean human race. I think they're called Underfolk. They're nothing special crunch-wise, but they might have the feel you're going for.

Troglodytes are also subterranean, but I don't think they speak undercommon automatically.

Telonius
2009-09-16, 10:18 AM
Shackled City has the players going up against Skulks and Dark Creepers. The Creepers speak undercommon.

FMArthur
2009-09-16, 11:09 AM
At that level, I'd use kobolds. I didn't when I was in your exact situation, and I've always regretted it. Kobolds are great fun to play and play against. It's the mook race; even kobold leaders are mooks. Just don't ever say it to their faces - 'mook' is an extremely offensive word to kobolds.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-16, 11:13 AM
Dromites (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#dromites), maybe?

BooNL
2009-09-16, 11:24 AM
Dromites are very cool. If you're not sure about psionics, you could easily remove their PP reserve and just call it a day.

Though why they'd be kidnapping people...

Thurbane
2009-09-16, 09:41 PM
Races of Destiny has a subterranean human race. I think they're called Underfolk. They're nothing special crunch-wise, but they might have the feel you're going for.
I second this - Underfolk are quite cool, basically humans adapted to life in the Underdark.

Adventurer
2009-09-18, 07:26 PM
My thanks to you, daggaz, Frog Dragon, NPCMook, BooNL, Telonius, FMArthur, Fax Celestis and Thurbane, you've all been very helpful! I'm a bit reluctant to use kobolds as they don't speak undercommon normally, otherwise they sounded like a great idea. I'll check all your suggestions although I'm leaning heavily on the Underfolk so far.

Thank you again:smallsmile: