PDA

View Full Version : Crit math?

Whammydill
2009-09-16, 08:36 AM
Ok, so in the last gaming session I had played in I was playing a 5th level warblade who was using a greatsword.

Fighting the adventure's BBEG (I had initiative and was in range for a charge so, I did.) I scored a critical hit which I confirmed.

My math was as follows

Greatsword: 3d6*2 = 6d6 (I was buffed with enlarge person)
Strength(18+2 from enlarge person): (5*1.5)(2)= +14
Power Attack for 5 with 2hander: 10*2 = + 20
Punishing stance: +1d6, not modified by crit
Rabid Wolf Strike: +2d6, not modified by crit

So my math puts that at: 9d6 + 34 is that right?

My DM then tells me I'm wrong and only the dice on the weapon gets multiplied by the crit. Now he is DM so I always play by rule 0, but thats not the way we have always done it.

So what gets affected by a crit's multiplier?

daggaz
2009-09-16, 08:38 AM
static damage bonuses get multiplied, so your power attack bonus and str bonus and any +x's from any source, unless they specifically say they dont get multiplied.

anything variable (the 1d6, etc) from sneak attack and such do not get multiplied.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-16, 08:44 AM
Ok, so in the last gaming session I had played in I was playing a 5th level warblade who was using a greatsword.

Fighting the adventure's BBEG (I had initiative and was in range for a charge so, I did.) I scored a critical hit which I confirmed.

My math was as follows

Greatsword: 3d6*2 = 6d6 (I was buffed with enlarge person)
Strength(18+2 from enlarge person): (5*1.5)(2)= +14
Power Attack for 5 with 2hander: 10*2 = + 20
Punishing stance: +1d6, not modified by crit
Rabid Wolf Strike: +2d6, not modified by crit

So my math puts that at: 9d6 + 34 is that right?

My DM then tells me I'm wrong and only the dice on the weapon gets multiplied by the crit. Now he is DM so I always play by rule 0, but thats not the way we have always done it.

So what gets affected by a crit's multiplier?

yes that's how by RAW it should be. sorry your DM was a **** about it.

Epinephrine
2009-09-16, 08:49 AM
yes that's how by RAW it should be. sorry your DM was a **** about it.

DM wasn't a **** about it necessarily - having a different understanding of the rules (in this case, wrong) isn't spiteful, it's simply a different point of view (or being misinformed).

Cyclocone
2009-09-16, 08:53 AM
Your DM must have misread the relevant rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsincombat.htm).

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. [...]

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

So, as was said, static bonuses are multiplied.

Whammydill
2009-09-16, 09:16 AM
DM wasn't a **** about it necessarily - having a different understanding of the rules (in this case, wrong) isn't spiteful, it's simply a different point of view (or being misinformed).

Well, I wonder if it had anything to do with that I nearly one-shotted his BBEG since his mooks left an open line for a charge in the opening round. Like I said, I'm all about rule-0, but we had been doing it the *right* way for a while now.

Some DM's have a problem dealing with their well-planned big bad getting ruined and taking the thunder out of the encounter I speculate.

Keewatin
2009-09-16, 09:29 AM
Well, I wonder if it had anything to do with that I nearly one-shotted his BBEG since his mooks left an open line for a charge in the opening round. Like I said, I'm all about rule-0, but we had been doing it the *right* way for a while now.

Some DM's have a problem dealing with their well-planned big bad getting ruined and taking the thunder out of the encounter I speculate.

Yes but well planned Big Bads shouldn't be open to a charge in the first round. Unless all his mooks got wiped out by something happening before your turn.

Also this is why as a badguy you make sure that whatever eveil plan of evil you had going works reguardless of the unfortunate circumstance of your death.

ericgrau
2009-09-16, 09:29 AM
It's just a lucky shot. Happens with spells too. And I assume you even rolled to confirm the crit at a -5 penalty?

Whammydill
2009-09-16, 10:19 AM
Oh yes, the roll was with the same modifiers as the attack roll with the exception to the warblade's +int to crit confirm thingy.

Epinephrine
2009-09-16, 10:39 AM

Well, that sucks.

ericgrau
2009-09-16, 10:40 AM
Oh yes, the roll was with the same modifiers as the attack roll with the exception to the warblade's +int to crit confirm thingy.

Frackin' warblades :smalltongue:. Eh, actually confirming crits more often isn't the strongest thing to have. It's that bonus damage that really adds up over time. If the DM wants warblades in the group he should accept the consequences of all their abilities.

lsfreak
2009-09-16, 11:19 AM
Just to point out, you can't activate a strike on a charge. So while the crit should have multiplied all the static damage, you shouldn't have been able to do the extra 2d6 from Rapid Wolf either :smalltongue:

Whammydill
2009-09-16, 11:26 AM
Ahh, I didn't know that. This was the first time we are trying a ToB class in our games and we are still learning it. Where can I find that ruling in case it comes up in game again?

lsfreak
2009-09-16, 11:30 AM
Strikes take either a standard action or a full-round action to activate, and charge is already a full-round action. You can't take a full-round action and meld it with a standard action.

EDIT: Though, of course, there are strikes that are specifically charges themselves, and you can use a boost before charging.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-16, 12:28 PM

The reason i said that is:

Sounds like he did know and choose to ignore it. sounds to me like the gm was taken back by the dmg and didn't want his monster to die that quick.
Hence dickery