PDA

View Full Version : Good fighter

stenver
2009-09-16, 02:55 PM
Can someone please make a level 8 good fighter build. Biggest damage is the purpose, or damage potential.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-16, 02:57 PM
Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, Endurance, Steadfast Determination, Battle Jump, and Improved Sunder, Combat Brute are some feats you want to look in to.

Resolute is an ACF from Complete Champion that is good for your will saves. Dungeoncrasher is an ACF from Dungeonscape that lets you deal damage with your bull rushes.

quick_comment
2009-09-16, 02:58 PM
A dip in lion totem barbarian gives you pounce

Eldariel
2009-09-16, 02:58 PM
Goliath Fighter 7 (or 8 with buyoff), Dungeoncrasher [Dungeonscape]. Pick Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Knockback [Races of Stone], Leap Attack [Complete Adventurer] (if buyoff), and prerequisites and natural derivatives, along with Resolute [Complete Champion] and Zhentarim Fighter subs [Champions of Valor Web Enhancement].

Then two levels of Barbarian, Extra Rage, Mountain Rage alternative class feature, Pounce [Complete Champion], go to town a bit more.

Steward
2009-09-16, 03:04 PM
Wait, what stats do you have? It might be a good idea to dip into the Druid class for 7 levels if you have a really low point buy or rolled badly for Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity. It might be necessary too if you don't have a lot of books (a lot of the best fighter feats aren't in the core rules).

Fax Celestis
2009-09-16, 03:07 PM
Wait, what stats do you have? It might be a good idea to dip into the Druid class for 7 levels if you have a really low point buy or rolled badly for Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity. It might be necessary too if you don't have a lot of books (a lot of the best fighter feats aren't in the core rules).

lol. Just...lol

Mongoose87
2009-09-16, 03:13 PM

I don't think it counts as a dip when it's 7/8 levels.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-09-16, 03:23 PM
I don't think it counts as a dip when it's 7/8 levels.

Some of us just so happen to use really large chips, so, where as it's the entire bowl of sauce for you, it's just a small dip for us.:smalltongue:

Alternatively, I'm a big fan of some sort of gish set-up, if "fighter" means fightan' man. Also, Warblade and/or would prevent you from being a one-trick pony, if ToB is on the table.

woodenbandman
2009-09-16, 03:31 PM
Books allowed/style of fighting requested. If you want ridiculous damage, that's easy, but it might not be fun. Or it could be great. Be careful what you wish for.

If Tome of Battle is allowed but you really don't want to be a Warblade, I suggest a Half Ogre Fighter 6(Dungeoncrasher), into Bloodstorm Blade next level. Throw big rocks, and bull rush with them. Into walls.

Person_Man
2009-09-16, 03:39 PM
This comes up pretty often. Here's my stock Fighter advice, which other Playgrounders have probably seen several times:

Fighter is actually quite a solid choice up to ECL 12ish if you know what you're doing. The keys are alternate class features (forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-906113.html) and careful feat selection.

At level 1, Fighters get the Tower Shield for free. This in itself is useful. Races of Stone also lets you trade it away for Exotic Shield Proficiency, which has several uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6848292). I suggest using it for a Gnome Battle Cloak, which is essentially a shield you wear on your back, which is essentially a free Animated shield. Or you can take the Extreme Shield if you want +3 AC without a To-Hit penalty (but don't care about making shield bash attacks). If you want a mounted build (which is one of your best core-ish options) then I suggest a Riding Shield.

At levels 2 and 6, Dungonscape lets you trade away feats for the Dungeoncrasher ability, which gives you massive damage when you Bull Rush an enemy into a wall or solid object. As others have opined, the easiest way to abuse this is through the Knockback feat. Check out Flaming Homer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22) and the King of Pong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107248). If you want to be less abusive and/or don't want to be a Goliath, then I suggest you be a Raptorian or Dragonborn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) for free flight (though it doesn't kick in until ECL 12). This lets you move above enemies, so that you can Bull Rush them into the floor. You can also get free Bull Rush attempts from the Shield of the Severed Hand (Complete Divine pg 102 or MIC) and/or Brutal Surge weapons (MIC). It's also worth mentioning that Dungeoncrasher damage is so high that even a single mundane Bull Rush per turn can kill most enemies.

A nifty web ad on (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) gives you various buffs to your ability to Demoralize. The most important kicks in at 11th level, which lets you Demoralize as a Swift Action. This can be a powerful tool (http://boards-test-dev.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-911167), especially when combined with the Imperious Command feat (Drow of the Underdark) which makes Demoralized enemies Cower (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Cowering).

Now that you have that down, it's time to figure out strong feat, equipment, and tactical choices.

For damage, this means some combination of Dungoencrasher, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Spirited Charge, Shock Trooper, Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, Valorous Weapon, and anything else that either multiplies damage without requiring a critical hit.
Find a way to get Pounce or Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) by ECL 11ish. There are many ways to do this without a Barbarian dip.
For battlefield control, you have many options (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5858387&postcount=10). Basically you want something to deal with mooks, and something to deal with boss enemies. If you're going with a Dungeoncrasher build, then your biggest weakness is going to be enemies who are physically big and strong that can't easily be pushed around. I suggest diversifying with Fear (detailed above), and shop around for a Daze effect from a magic item, Shield Slam, Anvil of Thunder, or Boomerang Daze.
Ask your friends for buffs. Seriously. There's no reason to dip into Cleric or buy expensive wands or whatnot. Just ask the other casters to help you out.
Choose powerful magic items. There's lists all over the boards. I could rattle off my favorites here, but I'm not sure how abusive you want to get.

stenver
2009-09-16, 03:51 PM
Thank you very much

And, as abusive as possible. Just to see that low tier fighter aint that bad!

Harperfan7
2009-09-16, 10:10 PM

kudos, sir.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-09-17, 10:04 AM
those druid 7 "dips" fix everything :)

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-17, 10:56 AM
Please not I'm not an optimizer

Human, 2 Flaws. Pimp Jump a little bit, and then Intimidate.
Equip: Polearms and Armor Spikes.
Zentharim Soldier ACF.
32 point buy: str 15, dex 15 con 14 int 10 sag 8 car 15.
Dex and Str go 16 at 4 and 8

1) Power Attack, Improved Bull rush, Improved Sunder, Cleave
2) Combat Reflexes
3)Stand Still
4)Hold the Line.
5)
6) Leap Attack, Combat Brute
7)
8) Shock Trooper

Til now, you are pretty much a charger - you deal a crapload of damage and since you use polearms, if you charge an ogre he will not hit you first.

Combat reflexes + Standstill means you are sort of a tank. If someone charge you, you hit first with hold the line.

Pimp intimidate because at level 9 you will take the skill trick never outnumbered and the feat imperious command. Oh, see.. at level 9 ZS intimidates as a swift action. Congratulation, now you can control a little bit (those not immune to fear and in short range)

If you go on, you can pretty much take feats that trigger AOOs if someone cast a spell near you, if use a (Su) ability, if attacks you, and so on. if you have access to Dragon Magazine, you can deliver up to 3 blows for attack (but you'll need some cheese with stats).

Weakness: your will save. If you want focus more on offense, screw one of my CR feats and take some difensive one. Otherwise, be friendly with you cleric :smallwink:

Of course things can be done better (see suggestions above) but mine is a pure fighter. (you could dip in barbarian, as suggested, for strenght and pounce, in psywarrior to increase size (and so str and intimidate), and increase your mobility, and so on.

If you follow the exquisite advices above bull rush and towershield (expecially the suggestion of Person Man), I would suggest you an houserule I found in the wotc archives, fighting dirty: if you use a tower shield, you get a +4 on bull rush attempts. With IBR is a +8, fun with dungeoncrasher.

I suggest you, further, to take some sort of ranged weapon, maybe able to make trip attack like the bolas, to extend your range of control.

stenver
2009-09-23, 11:57 AM
I love the builds, but which book is the combat brute and shock trooper from?

Eldariel
2009-09-23, 12:21 PM
I love the builds, but which book is the combat brute and shock trooper from?

Complete Warrior.