PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 monk fix.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-16, 07:23 PM
yes, the much insulted hated monk. I'm wondering if there's an good fix somewhere for them? I'm DM so me and the player are the only ones who have to approve it. The players I'm going to have have never played 3.5 before so none of them will be complaining about the monk unless their characters are underpowered which they won't be. I'll make sure of that.

anybody know of a good one?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-16, 07:24 PM
Unarmed Swordsage

/rimshot

Dienekes
2009-09-16, 07:27 PM
Check out Fax Celestia's As it should be Monk. It's a great fix.

http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Monk

Trodon
2009-09-16, 07:33 PM
When I want to play a monk I always use this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108954) variant monk.

Godskook
2009-09-16, 07:37 PM
A good start is to 'houserule'/'point out' that gauntlets work with all the monk's class features(including the monk's unarmed strike bonuses), as well as probably full BAB, unless you use a full-out homebrew.

Frosty
2009-09-16, 07:43 PM
Give monks full BAB. Give them a ki-pool that refreshes at each encounter, and allows them to do cool stuff like +4 to <special maneuver. Things like bullrush, grapple, trip, etc> or Fly for a turn or do a Hadouken.

Remove Flurry of Blows. It's useless anyways. Up HP to D10.

lsfreak
2009-09-16, 07:48 PM

Unfortunately many people think monk and immediately think "zomgflurryofblows!" Giving them the ability to move up to half their speed and still flurry, full pounce, and skirmish damage are all possibilities in players demand flurry.

They should have the ability to use weapon damage or unarmed damage for monk weapons. Give the ability to pick a single non-monk weapon to be treated as such at character creation.

Woot Spitum
2009-09-16, 07:57 PM
A monk/cleric/sacred fist can be decent, especially with the practiced spellcaster feat. If possible, throw in divine metamagic to make those nice cleric buffs last all day.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-16, 08:00 PM
Another fix idea:
current Monk + spontaneous Cleric casting but only up to 6th (like Bard progression).

ken-do-nim
2009-09-16, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately many people think monk and immediately think "zomgflurryofblows!" Giving them the ability to move up to half their speed and still flurry, full pounce, and skirmish damage are all possibilities in players demand flurry.

They should have the ability to use weapon damage or unarmed damage for monk weapons. Give the ability to pick a single non-monk weapon to be treated as such at character creation.

Yeah, you could say that a monk can move their entire bonus movement and still take a full round action. Basically substitute the bonus movement for the 5 foot step when they get it at level 3.

Mongoose87
2009-09-16, 08:26 PM
Another fix idea:
current Monk + spontaneous Cleric casting but only up to 6th (like Bard progression).

Interesting. It's like a more Western Monk. Force him to shave the top of his head!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-16, 09:12 PM
Buddhist monks did that too.

jiriku
2009-09-16, 09:32 PM
I allow the option of removing the flurry of blows and monk AC bonus and replace it with skirmish while using UAS or monk weapons, plus any one mental stat added to AC. This cements the role of the monk as a mobile striker (flurry is more appropriate to a tank) and reduces the MAD. Finally all those class features are beginning to synergize.

I also allow gauntlets to work with UAS so that monks now have a weapon to enchant, and allow bracers of armor to carry any armor enchant. This gets the monk back into the gear game.

This, combined with healthy use of variant monk feat trees and alternative class features, makes the class customizable enough that no two monks need be alike.

holywhippet
2009-09-16, 09:39 PM

Flurry of blows is meant to be a trade off. You have less odds of hitting than a pure fighter, but you get to make more attacks.

The main problem with monks (IMO) is the low AC they suffer from not wearing armour.

Doc Roc
2009-09-16, 09:45 PM
The Penny Dreadfuls will be releasing a monk fix really soon. Probably tonight or tomorrow.

Siosilvar
2009-09-16, 09:47 PM
Flurry of blows is meant to be a trade off. You have less odds of hitting than a pure fighter, but you get to make more attacks.

The main problem with monks (IMO) is the low AC they suffer from not wearing armour.

You can't use Flurry of Blows while using, essentially, any of the other monk abilities, as Flurry of Blows requires a full attack.

holywhippet
2009-09-16, 10:05 PM
You can't use Flurry of Blows while using, essentially, any of the other monk abilities, as Flurry of Blows requires a full attack.

What other abilities do you mean? Stunning fist and quivering palm can be applied on any melee attack - even if you are using flurry of blows.

Doc Roc
2009-09-16, 10:11 PM
Good point! What other abilities? ::sighs::
Monk is a terrible class, the maligned and skinny puppy of 3.5. We will give him a home. Soon now. Soon.

To clarify, I think he was referring to their much-vaunted capacity for mobility.

Sharkman1231
2009-09-16, 10:28 PM
I found that you can get monk AC pretty high when you use, githerzi (I think thats close) which gives you +4 to AC if you're a monk and if I know it right, interial armor at will? Which means +8 which is pretty good if you take in the +2 LA.
Eh...
Please refute me if I am wrong.

Siosilvar
2009-09-16, 10:32 PM
What other abilities do you mean? Stunning fist and quivering palm can be applied on any melee attack - even if you are using flurry of blows.

Fast movement, abundant step, empty body.

Admittedly, it was a bit of an overgeneralization, but the fact is that the mobility of the monk and Flurry of Blows don't mix.

Flickerdart
2009-09-16, 10:33 PM
Fast movement, empty body, abundant step and similar.

Damn, who'd expect a ninja in a Monk thread?

lsfreak
2009-09-16, 11:03 PM
Damn, who'd expect a ninja in a Monk thread?

Someone invite the samurai; we'll get them all together over tea to reminisce about how awesome they all could have been.

Bandededed
2009-09-16, 11:39 PM
Well, I did this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76507). It's worked well enough for me so far.

holywhippet
2009-09-16, 11:55 PM
Fast movement, abundant step, empty body.

Admittedly, it was a bit of an overgeneralization, but the fact is that the mobility of the monk and Flurry of Blows don't mix.

Yes, but they are fair enough. A regular fighter has to take a full round action (allowing only a 5 foot step) in order to use all of their attacks for that round so I don't see why it would be different for a monk. For both it makes sense in terms of time - you can't expect to run halfway across the battlefield and still pull off a series of hits.

Doc Roc
2009-09-16, 11:58 PM
Yes, but they are fair enough. A regular fighter has to take a full round action (allowing only a 5 foot step) in order to use all of their attacks for that round so I don't see why it would be different for a monk. For both it makes sense in terms of time - you can't expect to run halfway across the battlefield and still pull off a series of hits.

And this is a commonly hated thing about fighters, too, actually. :)

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-17, 02:17 AM
Buddhist monks did that too.

True. I use something similar in the oriental part of my campaign setting (monk // cloistered cleric).

And this is a commonly hated thing about fighters, too, actually. :)

Well, the fighter, if well built, can charge with a relevaunt amount of damage if not allowed to full attack because is a full BAB class. Not that you can always charge, but is abig advantage toward the monk, IMHO.

Doc Roc
2009-09-17, 03:19 AM
The Penny Dreadful Fix (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYdLcxsM7Nx0ZGc2NzhibjNfNzJnNWpkZDJ2cA&hl=en) For monk. It's... not finished yet, we still have to figure out precisely how it interacts with Tashalatora, but after that, I'll be releasing it on the homebrew section. Consider this a preview. A really reluctant preview.