PDA

View Full Version : What Cool Things Can Beguilers Do?

Zovc
2009-09-16, 10:22 PM
I'm considering playing as a Beguiler in a friend's campaign.

I want to play a Factotum, he won't let me--keeps telling me to play a Bard or Rogue (I don't want to). For some reason he's very particular about not liking the Factotum and is very prone to thinking I'm power gaming.

I don't really want to do Beguiler 20, but may have to. What classes have cool synergy with the 'guiler, and what other cool things are there?

Vortling
2009-09-16, 10:30 PM
A single level dip of mindbender prc at the right level can be fun. It also gets you telepathy. Beguilers are excellent at the spell schools they have available to them and they've got the whole skill/int synergy for them as well. When the enemies with immunity to mind affecting abilities roll out of the woodwork you can spend your time helping out the party with other spells.

AslanCross
2009-09-16, 11:05 PM
This might be a good example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6677016&postcount=134) of what a beguiler would do.

Beguiler 7/Mindbender 1. You can do all sorts of crazy things with telepathy and even normally defensive illusion spells like blur.

Akal Saris
2009-09-17, 12:41 AM
I have a friend/DM that's also unreasonably touchy about factotum - and the weird thing is that he loves the Chameleon PrC. I guess it's just something about the class for them.

Anyhow, beguilers can charm, and they can illusionify, and they can do just about anything a rogue can as well. That pretty much sums it up.

If you need to be the party trap-finder, there's also Artificer as a powerful option.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-17, 12:56 AM
Beguilers really shine in low-mid level out of combat encounters. Seriously, this is the class if you're going to be RPing a lot in an urban environment where you can abuse their spells. Even before you get Glibness, you can basically use cities as toys. After you hit that level though, any time you're in civilization you're pretty much gonna be able to twist things your way.

To be honest, Beguiler is my personal favorite class out of the lot. However, I am according to everyone else an insane, sneaky, evil, sadist. They did have cause though, after I spent some time roasting one of my human toys families alive for fun after paralyzing him and that was just one session (my character became increasingly prone to excesses as we went, and I made another Beguiler later in a separate game which was if anything worse).

Anyways, you may want to look at the Nightmare Spinner variant that lets you affect creatures which would normally be immune to your enchantment spells.

Thurbane
2009-09-17, 12:59 AM
Some magic items will be handy to let you use spells other than your spell list. UMD with wands and scrolls is a no brainer, but there's some other that won't need UMD in the MIC:

Eternal Wands: any arcane spell up to 3rd level, 2/day (460gp - 10,900gp)
Robe of Mysterious Conjuration: swap out spell for Summon Monster of the same level 3/day (10,000gp)
Gloves of the Starry Sky: swap out spell for Magic Missile 3/day (1,100gp)
Goggles of the Golden Sun: swap out spell for Fireball 3/day (4,000gp)
Belt of the Wide Earth: swap out spell for Teleport 2/day (8,000gp)

Tiktakkat
2009-09-17, 01:10 AM
Beguilers with maxed out DCs can be severely abusive against non-casters and non-mindless creatures. You just have to take advantage of the new spells they get.
Depending on other sourcebooks allowed, there are ways to slide them into things like shadowcraft mage by using variant class abilities to get the spells they need. I would have to check with the friend who built that bit of abuse for the exact plan.
Your friend might regret banning the factotum if it means you wind up with a beguiler.

Thurbane
2009-09-17, 01:35 AM
Another good option, if it's allowed, is the various bloodline feats in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. They add a spell each level that otherwise mightn't appear on your spell list - good for adding spells to deal with Undead and other midless opponents.

Similarly, the Sandshaper PrC from Sandstorm adds a lot of new spells to your list.

BobVosh
2009-09-17, 02:09 AM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872354/Shadowcraft_Mage_Handbook

Killer Gnome is a really fun build, so long as you don't cheese it up too badily it isn't bad.

Beyond that you can have a lot of fun with the legions of soldiers spell. I liked it a lot when I played my beguiler. Standard stuff like invisibility sphere and yadda yadda, etc so forth will be your main job in combat.

tcrudisi
2009-09-17, 11:36 AM
I once infiltrated the enemy army and convinced the various commanders that another commander was a spy. "Think of all the prestige you can have when you recover his body and bring forth the proof!" Long story short: I took out an entire army when I was around level 6 or 7.

Then in combat, my group still hated me. I did the equivalent of "Wizards in 4th edition" where I controlled the battlefield so well that the bad guys never got to do anthing efficiently. They were basically sitting ducks.

That's what the Beguiler can do: wreck combats for the bad guys and completely take over non-combat situations. It's a lot of fun to play, but it is horrible to have someone like that in your group. "When is it my turn?" "Never, silly Wizard. When we go into combat, I might tell you. Until then, keep sleeping."

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-17, 11:51 AM
Anyways, you may want to look at the Nightmare Spinner variant that lets you affect creatures which would normally be immune to your enchantment spells.

Where is this from? I'm playing a Beguiler and I've already been threatened with undead once, and the game hasn't even started yet.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-17, 04:05 PM
Where is this from? I'm playing a Beguiler and I've already been threatened with undead once, and the game hasn't even started yet.

Complete Mage, on page 77 under Adaption.