PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What's My Motivation?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-16, 11:10 PM
A D&D game that I've been excited for is starting soon, but I'm having trouble thinking of a motivation for my character, and how to roleplay him properly. Here's sort of the idea I have in mind:

Deucalion had it all. He was one of the world's most preeminent scientists, had practically invented the field of nanotechnology, was rich, had the respect of millons, and a loving wife, Phyrra, who was pregnant with his kid.

Unfortunately, it didn't last. One afternoon when conducting an experiment, a freak rip in the time-space continuum occured, sucking Deucalion in and depositing him in Switzerland several millenia into the future. The world had undergone many drastic changes in the interrim. There was a robot rebellion that had only been thwarted by the nanotechnology Deucalion had pioneered, a second Ice Age that reduced the world to a medieval level of socio-politics and technology, and a resurgence of the robots that ended in a cataclysmic explosion which threw ash into the air, causing famine that killed off most of the traditional D&D races. And even though it had only been a split second for Deucalion, his exposure to the raw forces of time had charred his body beyond recognition. Were it not for the nanotechnology, which the primitives understood as magic, Deucalion would have died. Needless to say, it was a VERY bad day.

That's about as far as I've gotten though. Deucalion needs a reason to go out and adventure for a post-apocalyptic world that's basically on its last legs. The reason for the crazy backstory is to justify playing a human in the setting, since according to the research our DM had when he designed the setting, most of the standard D&D races would have gone extinct from the third cataclysm and its aftereffects, coupled with the fact that the survivng robots snatched whoever they could and assimilated them. Deucalion is the last surviving human, in a world of halflings, changelings, feytouched, planetouched, goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds, lizardfolk, locathahs and ratmen. There ARE a few elves, but they only number about 100, and are dying off.

Deucalion will also be playing as a member of a unique class, called the Clockwork Scholar. The Clockwork Scholar is a master of the ancient technology of Deucalion's time, implanting himself with machines and eventually becoming a living construct. In Deucalion's case, it'll make him a sort of a cross between Darth Vader and a Warhammer 40K Techpriest. For those of you who've seen the class before in my other thread, it's undergone some revision, so it's not completely the same, namely another feature that's gained is vulnerability to electricity, which all constructs in this setting have.
THE CLOCKWORK SCHOLAR

Over the past few decades, a few hundred tinkers and thinkers have grouped together into an informal fraternity, dedicated to unearthing the mysteries of the lost civilizations from the Age of Gold and the Age of Ashes. The greatest of these civilizations was that of the Clockwork Servants, and their special concern for these dangerous constructs has earned them the name "Clockwork Scholars".

Scholars have a particular affinity for creating constructs and artifacts, eventually learning how to summon Clockwork Servants of their own, and even enhancing their bodies and minds with arcane implants. While they are neither spectacular combatants nor versatile spellcasters, they are fast, tough, and have an uncanny proficiency with strange or forgotten weapons.

Hit die: d10

REQUIREMENTS
Abilities: Intelligence is necessary for both the scholar's spells and extra skill points, which are absolutely vital. Dexterity is also very helpful, since scholars are best at unarmored, ranged combat.
Alignment: Any lawful.

CLASS SKILLS
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (mystical) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex)
Skill points at first level: (2 +Int modifier)*4
Skill points at each additional level: 2 +Int modifier

BASE ATTACK BONUSES
Level 1: +0
Level 2: +1
Level 3: +2
Level 4: +3
Level 5: +3
Level 6: +4
Level 7: +5
Level 8: +6/+1
Level 9: +6/+1
Level 10: +7/+2
Level 11: +8/+3
Level 12: +9/+4
Level 13: +9/+4
Level 14: +10/+5
Level 15: +11/+6/+1
Level 16: +12/+7/+2
Level 17: +12/+7/+2
Level 18: +13/+8/+3
Level 19: +14/+9/+4
Level 20: +15/+10/+5

SAVING THROWS
Level 1: +0 to all
Level 2: +0 to all
Level 3: +1 to all
Level 4: +1 to all
Level 5: +1 to all
Level 6: +2 to all
Level 7: +2 to all
Level 8: +2 to all
Level 9: +3 to all
Level 10: +3 to all
Level 11: +3 to all
Level 12: +4 to all
Level 13: +4 to all
Level 14: +4 to all
Level 15: +5 to all
Level 16: +5 to all
Level 17: +5 to all
Level 18: +6 to all
Level 19: +6 to all
Level 20: +6 to all

SPECIAL
Level 1: Clockwork Summon, Fast Movement
Level 2: -
Level 3: +2 to Intelligence
Level 4: Craft Wondrous Item
Level 5: -
Level 6: +2 to Dexterity
Level 7: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Level 8: -
Level 9: +2 to Wisdom
Level 10: Iron Will
Level 11: -
Level 12: +2 to Strength
Level 13: Phase Weapon
Level 14: -
Level 15: +2 to Charisma
Level 16: Craft Rod
Level 17: -
Level 18: +2 to Constitution
Level 19: Immunity to Energy, Vunerability to Energy
Level 20: Clockwork Savior

SPELLS PER DAY
As the standard sorcerer.

CLASS FEATURES
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Scholars are proficient with all exotic weapons.

Spells: A scholar casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the scholar spell list (see below). She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a scholar must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 +the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a scholar's spell is 10 +the spell level +the scholar's Intelligence modifier. Like other spellcasters, a scholar can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given in Table 3-16 of the "PHB". In addition, she recieves bonus spells per day if she has a high Intelligence score (see Table 1-1 of the "PHB").

Clockwork Summon: A scholar can obtain a Clockwork Servant. Doing so takes 1d20 days. If the Clockwork Servant dies or is dismissed by the scholar, she may gain a new one after another 1d20 days. The construct serves as assistant and bodyguard; though it is not equipped with any possessions, it will remain within 50 feet of the scholar at all times, and defend her with its natural attacks and programmed spells.

The scholar can communicate telepathically with the Clockwork Servant, and give it simple commands, such as "heal this character" or "attack that monster". It can also be keyed to perform specific tasks at specific times, or when certain conditions are met. It will not obey the commands of anyone except the scholar, nor will it move over 50 feet away from her, even if she tells it to do so.

At 1st to 5th level, the Clockwork Servant is a Scarab, with a 1d2 multitool. At 6th to 10th level, the Clockwork Servant is a Surgeon, with four 1d4 claws. At 11th to 15th level, the Clockwork Servant is a Soldier, with two 1d6 masterwork saps and two 1d3 masterwork whips. At 16th to 20th level, the Clockwork Servant is a Serpent, with a 2d8 slam and a 4d6 bite.

Fast Movement: A scholar's land speed is faster than the norm for her race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when she is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the scholar's speed because of any load carried or armor worn. For example, a halfling scholar has a speed of 30 feet, rather than 20 feet, when wearing light or no armor. When wearing medium armor or carrying a medium load, her speed drops to 20 feet.

Implant Bonuses: Starting at 3rd level, a scholar adds two points to a given ability score every three levels. For example, a scholar adds two points to her Intelligence score at 3rd level, two points to her Dexterity score at 6th level, and so on. This is in addition to ability points gained every fourth level, and ability points gained or lost with age.

Craft Wondrous Item: A scholar gains Craft Wondrous Item as a bonus feat at 4th level.

Craft Magic Arms and Armor: A scholar gains Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat at 7th level.

Iron Will: A scholar gains Iron Will as a bonus feat at 10th level.

Phase Weapon: At 13th level, a scholar can attack with a ranged weapon once per day at a target known to her within range, and the attack passes through any nonmagical barrier or wall in its way. This ability negates cover, concealment, and even armor modifiers, but otherwise the attack is rolled normally. Using this ability is a standard action (and using the weapon is part of the action).

Craft Rod: A scholar gains Craft ROd as a bonus feat at 16th level.

Immunity to Energy: At 19th level, a scholar becomes immune to cold and sonic damage.

Vulnerability to Energy: At 19th level, a scholar becomes vulnerable to electricity damage, taking half again as much (+50%) damage as normal regardless of whether a saving throw is a allowed.

Clockwork Savior: At 20th level, the scholar permanently becomes a living construct. Her type changes to living construct, and as a result she gains immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain. She does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still beneft from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes’ feast and potions, and must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells. She cannot heal damage naturally, but can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs, and she can be raised or resurrected. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct. She no longer suffers penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any aging penalties she may already have suffered, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the scholar still dies of old age when her time is up.

SPELL LIST
0th-Level: detect magic, detect poison, flare, know direction, touch of fatigue
1st-Level: alarm, cure light wounds, expeditious retreat, magic missile, remove fear, shield
2nd-Level: blindness/deafness, cure moderate wounds, darkvision, invisibility, locate object, obscure object, pyrotechnics, scorching ray
3rd-Level: clairvoyance, cure serious wounds, fireball, sleet storm, stinking cloud
4th-Level: arcane eye, detect scrying, greater invisibility, ice storm
5th-Level: cloudkill, mind fog, prying eyes, teleport
6th-Level: animate object, disintegrate, true seeing
7th-Level: control weather, mass invisibility, reverse gravity
8th-Level: clone, sunburst, temporal stasis
9th-Level: gate, meteor swarm, teleportation circle
Knowing all this, I'm not sure how to roleplay Deucalion. I'm thinking of him being a Lawful Neutral manipulator type, but I know nothing about playing that kind of character, being only familiar with Superman-style farm kids who grow up to become champions of hope and justice (usually paladins). This is a man who has lost everything except his life, and is trapped in a world that he helped create but will never understand, and for some reason, has devoted his life to becoming more like the machines that doomed the planet not once but twice, even if he maintains some shred of humanity.

How do I play this guy?! :smalleek:

elliott20
2009-09-16, 11:27 PM
Well, reading your back story, there are already a lot of material there to work with, I think.

let's try to use Rich's two-emotion methodology here to give him motivation

1. core emotion: anger

His life was essentially perfect, but now he's been tossed into this world where everything he cared about, and all the comforts he had worked for his entire life had been taken from him.

If I were him, I'd be pretty pissed off about my predicament. Depending upon his knowledge of this world, this can lead to different scenarios.

a. he understands he is in the future, and he REALLY wants to live out the rest of his life with his loved ones instead of this foreign strange world.

In which case, his primary motivation (that is, his sense of belonging) will drive him to find a way to get back to his time. That is, if he's the kind of person who really wanted his old life back, the future be damned.

b. he understands he is in the future, but instead of just wanting to feel right at home again, his curiosity has driven him to figure out exactly what has happened to this world. He might also want to find out what happened to his lineage. In which case, he now has motivation to go out and learn all he can about the world he lives in.

If he DOES discover that this was all from his work, this could lead to another emotion

2. Guilt

He had a hand in causing the world to fall into disarray. This is the kind of responsibility that can either drive a man insane, or spur him on to redemption and perhaps find some way to fix things.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-16, 11:45 PM
This is very helpful. I'd probably have to opt for the curiosity angle, since its been established that time-travel in our campaign only works one way. In our previous campaign, which ended with that third cataclysm I mentioned, after our party killed the "god" of the robots, one of the characters, an elf bard named Alyssel and her elf cleric cohort, Korev, were also from Deucalion's time period. Instead of the burns Deucalion suffered, however, their memories about the past were buried. Their memories slowly began to resurface near the end of the campaign, which was instrumental to ending the robot threat. In fact, Alyssel is still alive, and is now the equivalent of Elminster in terms of power for our campaign world.

I still feel like he needs some sort of definite goal to work towards however.

chiasaur11
2009-09-16, 11:53 PM
Wait.

Humans are adapters par excellence, fairly smart, and they'd know the robots weaknesses better than anyone.

If anyone'd make it, humans would be high up on the list. So why're they gone?

elliott20
2009-09-16, 11:56 PM
well, if curiosity is going to be schtick, I think his goal will eventually to be some kind of redemption for himself. (Unless he's got some bizarre moral compass where he feels it's totally cool that his technology had a hand in the apocalypse) That redemption itself though, is the hard part for me, since it would hinge largely upon how the world functions and how you would want your character to function.

it depends upon his viewpoint of what redemption should mean.

Does he want to restore the status quo that was of HIS time? Does he believe that the best he can do is use his skills to do some good in the time here? How does he want to reconcile that guilt?

or perhaps, his guilt has two layers. He now isn't just feeling guilty about destroying the world, but also that he had abandoned his family in the past (even if it's through no fault of his own) and perhaps this could manifest in him wanting to safe guard something in the present.

I mean, the easiest thing I can think of is that he would want to go back in time so he can be back with his family again AND he'll now have the power to stop the world from being destroyed. (or DOES he? maybe he DID try to change history and failed...)

of course, that doesn't have to be the case but from my perspective, that's hard to justify if the means to do so exists.

IF he cannot travel back in time (ever, the means to do so simply doesn't exist), then he would probably go through some kind of internal struggle where he must now try to figure out HOW he can redeem himself. (Perhaps not explicitly, but at a subconscious level) Maybe he would instead aim to fix the world and become an enemy to the very technology that he created. Maybe he would want to somehow recreate the world that once was. Or maybe he would end up spending most of his time just trying to find a place to fit in again.

god, the possibilities are endless.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-17, 12:15 AM
Wait.

Humans are adapters par excellence, fairly smart, and they'd know the robots weaknesses better than anyone.

If anyone'd make it, humans would be high up on the list. So why're they gone?
According to the DM, this is why:

Indeed, though their hive mind had been broken, most of the Clockwork Servants still functioned, under the guidance of the two surviving Clockwork Seraphs. Humans, merfolk, orcs and elves under their care – willing collaborators as often as prisoners – were whisked off to some far-distant world. (This was the first migration of many, for which the new age was named the Age of Exodus.)
He neglects to mention that that includes dwarves and gnomes as well, but their homelands were virtually destroyed by the end of the war, and they were probably taken too.

Kylarra
2009-09-17, 12:18 AM
Maybe he's trying to ascend to be the next Machine God so he can try to go back to his own time.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-17, 12:25 AM
An interesting prospect, and one I've been considering. Don't know if our DM will go for it though. One of the biggest threats we have to face in the campaign is...GLOBAL WARMING!!!

Kylarra
2009-09-17, 12:28 AM
Keep in mind it doesn't have to be an achievable [mechanically or in game] goal.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-17, 12:32 AM
True. In our last campaign, we had a kobold werewolf sorcerer who, upon the campaign's end, retired to found a kingdom for kobolds, lycanthropes and outcasts of all other kinds. When he "died" he was surprised to find he'd become a demigod. Even his player hadn't been expecting it.

elliott20
2009-09-17, 01:20 AM
Did one of you at least create an Al Gore PC first to combat this threat?

Myou
2009-09-17, 04:29 AM
Just adventure searching for a way to get back home and prevent the poorly-conceived apocalypse before it happens. :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-17, 02:59 PM
Did one of you at least create an Al Gore PC first to combat this threat?

Regrettably no. The party consists of a 150+ year old elf barbarian, a janni-blooded wizard, a halfling ninja and myself. :smallamused:

The global warming's being caused by a sattelite that has also been keeping the planet warm while the sun was blocked out by ash and soot. If what my DM's told me is true, it's also gonna burn all life off the planet in a matter of years unless we blow it up.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-17, 08:33 PM
Just adventure searching for a way to get back home and prevent the poorly-conceived apocalypse before it happens. :smalltongue:

Would he have any reason to believe there was a way to get back home? Remember that it was his nanotechnology that prevented the robots from taking over, first by stopping their original uprising, and more recently as the magic that the wizards, clerics and other spellcasters used against them.

I'm wondering if maybe he should be a bit egotistical, after learning that what was an experimental technology he innovated became the savior of the world. Sort of "I created magic" bragging rights. Or should he be constantly trying to correct people. "That's not magic you're using. It's actually billions of machines so tiny you can't see them responding to your body movements, your state of mind and your intentions. So stop calling it magic!"

Which would be better?

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-19, 10:48 PM
Incidentally, I've written up a character sheet for Deucalion, selecting a last name for him too (Castanellos). My DM had a lot more information on the robots and the society Deucalion came from, but I don't have it with me (he'd tried to send it to me via e-mail, but it never came through for some reason). I'll see if I can get my hands on it to give a better understanding of the world Deucalion left behind, and the world it had become when he returned.