PDA

View Full Version : attacking someone turned to stone

awa
2009-09-17, 01:01 AM
lets say you petrify someone and then try and attack them what happens.
are they vulnerable to criticals? do they have damage reduction? can you just tip them over and watch them break?

BooNL
2009-09-17, 02:13 AM
If I recall correctly, any damage done to the statue will result in real wounds when the character gets turned back. Say you break off an arm, that character is now one arm short if he gets Stone-to-Fleshed.

That said, I think you use hardness rules for attacking a statue, they're basically an ornament now.

BobVosh
2009-09-17, 02:24 AM
I say just calculate HP and hardness for stone of that thickness for wherever they are attacking. So 8 hardness and 15 hp/inch.

AslanCross
2009-09-17, 02:24 AM
Yeah, I'd use hardness rules. Stone is Hardness 8. For simplicity's sake, you could simply use their old HP values.

BobVosh
2009-09-17, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I'd use hardness rules. Stone is Hardness 8. For simplicity's sake, you could simply use their old HP values.

I was thinking of if you want to cut limbs off. Well...hammer.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-17, 02:43 AM
but if you're going to cut limbs off with a hammer you might as well go for the head and be done with it.

BooNL
2009-09-17, 02:54 AM
but if you're going to cut limbs off with a hammer you might as well go for the head and be done with it.

Not if you plan on turning the subject back to flesh again. Nothing says torture more than suddenly losing two limbs.

BobVosh
2009-09-17, 02:54 AM
What if you just want to torture em? Or it was an accident. Possibly a really cool, but evil, organ transplant. Possibly a cult that believes in taking others limbs to gain their strength. Stores the bodies/parts as statues. Who knows?

*edit* Ninja'ed on the torture part on the very same minute! Curses!

Coidzor
2009-09-17, 02:56 AM
Getting to feel the limbs being taken off.

Slowly.

With a rusty spoon.

...Now if there were some way to create stone that would seamlessly integrate with the statue you could give them some extra limbs and such...

Philaenas
2009-09-17, 02:58 AM
Beh... sick stuff.

BooNL
2009-09-17, 03:37 AM
...Now if there were some way to create stone that would seamlessly integrate with the statue you could give them some extra limbs and such...

That's been discussed on this board fairly often. I think the reasoning is that all those extra limbs (or whatever you add) end up as hunks of useless flesh and muscles.

Same as casting Stone-to-Flesh on a real statue, you'd just get a blob of wobbling flesh where the statue used to be.

Eloel
2009-09-17, 03:53 AM
Also same with shaping the stone. You can shape a few goblins together for a dragon-ish structure, but it's still twisted goblin flesh, not a dragon.

olentu
2009-09-17, 04:01 AM
That's been discussed on this board fairly often. I think the reasoning is that all those extra limbs (or whatever you add) end up as hunks of useless flesh and muscles.

Same as casting Stone-to-Flesh on a real statue, you'd just get a blob of wobbling flesh where the statue used to be.

You actually get a corpse form casting the spell on an ordinary statue.

Coidzor
2009-09-17, 04:06 AM
Hence why I said if only if only...

It'd probably have to be something along the lines of the mineral warrior spell and template anyway just for getting the mechanics worked out.

Hmm...

Though a sculpture made out of goblins twisted in a cruel mockery of life and dragons trapped on the positive energy plane so while they couldn't die they also couldn't explode due to the HP leeching...

BooNL
2009-09-17, 04:13 AM
You actually get a corpse form casting the spell on an ordinary statue.

Not in my book. Unless the artisan also hewed in the statues innards and blood vessels. And as far as I know, not a lot of artists do that...

Grumman
2009-09-17, 04:28 AM
Not in my book. Unless the artisan also hewed in the statues innards and blood vessels. And as far as I know, not a lot of artists do that...
Disintegration finesse and a lot of points in Craft (sculpting) and Knowledge (anatomy)?

olentu
2009-09-17, 04:41 AM

Ah not using the players handbook I see. That would make a difference.

Khatoblepas
2009-09-17, 04:59 AM

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm

The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.) You can affect an object that fits within a cylinder from 1 foot to 3 feet in diameter and up to 10 feet long or a cylinder of up to those dimensions in a larger mass of stone.

It's magic. Statues turn into corpses, because they look like people. Magic isn't technology, it's not GIGO. x3

BooNL
2009-09-17, 05:06 AM
It might have something to do with the fact that I find the whole spell line silly and contrived.

Turning a Stone Golem into a Flesh Golem I can understand. Turning a statue into a corpse, I don't quite see it.

Actually, what if someone Stone Shaped a mountain into Mt. Rushmore and Stone-to-Fleshed it. Would you be able to talk to those guys? :smalltongue:

Heliomance
2009-09-17, 07:12 AM
Nope, they'd be dead president heads.

Best way to deal with someone turned to stone?

Transmute Rock to Mud
Purify Food and Drink

Short of a Wish spell by someone that knows what happened to them, and possibly not even then, they ain't coming back. Ever.

Killer Angel
2009-09-17, 07:36 AM
Not if you plan on turning the subject back to flesh again. Nothing says torture more than suddenly losing two limbs.

More torture is always possible.
Flesh to stone.
Stone shape: give'm distorted features, crippled arms, distorted legs.
Stone to flesh.

Suddenly, I'm thinking to a BBEG for a new adventure... :smallcool:

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-17, 07:39 AM
Nope, they'd be dead president heads.

Best way to deal with someone turned to stone?

Transmute Rock to Mud
Purify Food and Drink

Short of a Wish spell by someone that knows what happened to them, and possibly not even then, they ain't coming back. Ever.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:True_Resurrection ? :smallconfused:

Talya
2009-09-17, 08:06 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:True_Resurrection ? :smallconfused:

Hmm. I am not sure. Someone turned to stone isn't technically dead, yet, and you can't kill a statue, so the rock-to-mud and purify water spells don't kill them.

Johel
2009-09-17, 08:24 AM
Hmm. I am not sure. Someone turned to stone isn't technically dead, yet, and you can't kill a statue, so the rock-to-mud and purify water spells don't kill them.

Theorically, you're right. But if we follow the solution of Heliomance, the target can't be alive either. It has been liquified, digested, excreted and probably transformed into fertilizer.

Kylarra
2009-09-17, 09:08 AM
Theorically, you're right. But if we follow the solution of Heliomance, the target can't be alive either. It has been liquified, digested, excreted and probably transformed into fertilizer.
He is an UNCERTAINTY LICH (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1014)!

Mongoose87
2009-09-17, 09:21 AM
Now, what would happen if you cast stone to flesh on a statue, then cast resurection on the resulting corpse?

BooNL
2009-09-17, 09:31 AM
Now, what would happen if you cast stone to flesh on a statue, then cast resurection on the resulting corpse?

The statue doesn't have a soul, so I don't think anything would happen. Though maybe you could wish one of your deceased companion's soul into the corpse.

jiriku
2009-09-17, 09:33 AM
Awa, if you're interested in using that tactic for killing bad guys, Frostburn has a useful spell called flesh to ice. It's the same level as flesh to stone and works in the same way, except turning people to ice instead of stone. Ice is, of course, substantially easier to break.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-09-17, 10:12 AM
The statue doesn't have a soul, so I don't think anything would happen. Though maybe you could wish one of your deceased companion's soul into the corpse.
But Ed, human transmutation is forbidden! :smallwink:

Rhiannon87
2009-09-17, 10:19 AM
There's a spell called Flesh to Glass in Magic of Faerun, I think. Same thing as stone to flesh, except much, much more breakable.

awa
2009-09-17, 10:55 AM
The thing is i have a class ability that can turn a target to stone but for only one round and im wondering if i can have an ally just run up and smash them before they revert.

Im not interested in mutilating them and i have no acces to spells for rock to mud combos just breaking them

although it seems the consensus is that they get hardness so that will make smashing them tough are they vulnerable to crits/ sneak attacks

Random832
2009-09-17, 11:14 AM
I can't believe the spell description for FtS doesn't give the break DC of the statue.

Coidzor
2009-09-17, 11:29 AM
Nah, if they're turned to stone, then they're basically an object and can't be critted or be subject to precision damage.

I believe they don't get a save versus things that can damage unattended stone objects though.

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-17, 11:41 AM
Nah, if they're turned to stone, then they're basically an object and can't be critted or be subject to precision damage.

I believe they don't get a save versus things that can damage unattended stone objects though.

quickened shatter, or some such?