PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Teachers?

Anuan
2009-09-17, 08:27 AM
We've had an Evil Teachers thread, but I think it's time to pay tribute to those people who actually, y'know, did their job.

I've got this one teacher who I've had for two years now, Mrs. Panucci. She's the most amazing lady, and I've never met a person so absolutely dedicated to her work; she's like a character in a novel or something. She acts like a mother for all of her students, and will quite cheerfully go out of her way to help them out both academically and personally.

Not to mention she's actually great at teaching, gets really involved with the teaching and makes us get involved with learning (as much as you can with a group of 17/18 year olds) and I've never met anybody with so great an understanding of the subject they're teaching.

...Plus she occasionally brings us nice things. We were reading and discussing things today and she taps one of the students who was sort of dozing off (She has a 'if you don't want to work, that's on you and I don't mind, I understand that sometimes you don't feel you can, just don't disrupt other people' mindset) and gave him some money and told him to go down to the canteen and buy everyone in the class iceblocks :smallbiggrin: and she's brought in lollies and trail-mix and one time sorbet! And one time she brought in this big tray of fruit and flowers, not just to eat, but as a learning aid because you remember things better if there's a single outstanding point, and so Hamlet is a lot easier now because of the lesson where the room was filled with the smell of mandarines :smallcool:

Anybody else?

thubby
2009-09-17, 08:57 AM
Mr. Imbrali (im going on phonetics), he got stuck teaching my freshman science class despite knowing nothing of science (he did admirably), and my junior history class.
he was great for a lot of reasons but the one that sticks out is his respect for his students. he didn't waste our time with busy work and he didn't let the clowns waste our time with their shenanigans.

V'icternus
2009-09-17, 08:59 AM
My Year 7 English and SOSE teacher was the best teacher I ever had. Actually taught me stuff, don't you know.

Mr. Roberts...

He had to leave at the end of that year, though, 'cos his contract was up...

Nameless
2009-09-17, 09:01 AM
Optimus Prime.
Best. Teacher. EVER!

blackfox
2009-09-17, 09:47 AM
Ahahaha, I like this thread!
I've got a prof this semester who is about 70 years old, British, snickers at everything... His bookmark tabs at the top of Firefox are Cornell's website, Blackboard, Wikipedia, and the Daily Show. And he spends all his time snarking at Congress and the FDA.
One time we came into class and he was playing this game, FoldIt (fold.it), which is a game that simulates folding proteins to make sure the amino acids don't knock into each other... And whenever he beat a level, he'd pump his fists in the air and yell 'Hooray!'
Completely crazy. This class is hilarious. :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2009-09-17, 09:52 AM
A had a teacher, he was great. He taught World history, and he took a liking to me because I liked "Real music" and not the crap on today. So every friday, which he called "reflection day", He would bring his guitar, burn some incenses, and play good ol' fashion hippie music

Megatron46
2009-09-17, 09:53 AM
Mr Wadlow, my old History teacher who demonstrated, (using a window opening pole and 5 students), how to unseat a cavalry officer charging towards you as if you were a pikeman! Brilliant! He's the man who made me want to become a teacher!

Eldariel
2009-09-17, 09:56 AM
Esa Lappi, my math teacher from high school era! He, among others, taught us differential equations by calculating the amount of TNT it takes to shoot a squirrel to space.

Also, all theory was taught the first class of each course after which we just did exercises as necessary, or played chess or whatever we felt like (with Mr. Lappi, of course). Also, he happened to be working at the garrison where I did my military service (he does two jobs).

Also, Erkki Rusama, my history teacher from the same school. Always with awesome anecdotes from Poland and with interesting stories regardless of what we were studying. Laid-back and yet still getting the job done, his classes just rocked.

Finally, Hanno Maijola from the same school. He taught physics and among other things had two skateboards in the class to demonstrate us gravity-related things. Using students as subjects, of course.

Lots of other awesome teachers in the same place too, but those three truly stand out. I had good teachers earlier in my life too, but I don't remember as much from that time and they didn't have quite AS awesome methods of teaching (except maybe my last teacher from lower grades of the elementary school; I don't remember his surname to be honest, but he was "Tuomo". Completely unqualified and the best teacher I had over the whole 6 years. Then again, I spent most of his time installing computers in the IT class so I don't even know that much). High school though was only ~6 years away so I still remember all that quite well.

Faulty
2009-09-17, 10:28 AM
My Intro to Feminist Theory/17th Century Philosophy prof. I sooooo have a crush on her brain.

THAC0
2009-09-17, 10:39 AM
Me. Duh. :smallbiggrin:

Adlan
2009-09-17, 10:49 AM
I recently got to buy an Awesome teacher a Beer. Which was fun. He was my GCSE Chemistry Teacher, Dr Wolfgang Lister. At the Time, everyone hated him, he was strict, shouted, gave punishments. He'd pick on you in Class, and make you come to the front and demonstrate something, answer a problem on the blackboard. Old school.

I ran into him this summer, at a Folk Music Gig, we had a good conversation, and I got to thank him. He'd do the most dangerous, and most fun demonstrations and experiments he could, the stuff we hated him for made him an effective teacher, and I'm now a chemistry student, so I got to buy him a beer, and tell him thanks.

At the other end of the Spectrum, there's my A-level English teacher. We often digressed from the subject, we had big debates about politics, religion, and I got both him and his wife hooked on firefly. Which ment his wife sent me an Easter Egg Chocolate Bunny :D. At the end of the first year, I made his wife a CD of music she'd like, and she made me a firefly book mark :D

I never met the woman, but I hung out with her husband so much. I went back there this summer with my best mate who was also in the class, and saw him, we had such a good conversation, made him 10 minutes late for his next class.

I remember one lesson, we were reading Shylock, and I was Shylock, and my Best Mate was Antonio. Everyone else was doing the standard deadpan bored english lesson reading (you know what I mean), Me and my best mate had been reading things quite impassioned. And the height of the trial scene, we brought out costume, ripped open his shirt at the appropriate line, and I drew a wooden knife to get my pound of flesh.

Ah good times. I was intially opposed to doing shylock, I'd never read it, but been told it was racist (I'm half jewish), and the name had been used towards me before as an insult. He said he wanted to me play shylock, and it'd all come clear when I did one of his speeches, the 'If you prick us' speech. Well, it did, I loved doing the speech, and he asked me to come do it for the other classes he taught :D Gotta love a teacher who makes the most of his students.

Trobby
2009-09-17, 11:00 AM
I am obliged to say my own mother, since she is a teacher (and a damn good one at that), as well as my cousin for the same reason.

As for teachers that have been good to ME, I've had a few. Mr. Roape (I could never, ever get the spelling on his name, which is a little embarrassing with what comes next) was my AP English teacher in high school, and not only was he firm and made you actually care about learning grammar and English, he was also a really nice guy who wrote a sterling recommendation for me when I was applying to college. I probably owe the full scholarship that I got to his letter, so y'know, it's not just that he can teach, he can also do. That, and he has an adorable little daughter, which is just extra awesome. :smallredface:

For college professors, there's Doctor Ronald Sarner, who wins points for two reasons. 1: He made me understand programming in the very first college-level programming course I had ever taken, ever. 2: He loves Rocky & Bullwinkle, and will even play a video of it on the day of the final exam. A guy who loves the classics can't possibly be bad. (though it could be a little distracting)

There's also Professor Lee from college, who I took "Principles of Knowledge" (Or something like that) with, and who taught the class "Monsters, Robots and Cyborgs", a class that is exactly as awesome as it sounds. Very smart and very open-minded guy.

Then there's my absolute favorite professor, Andrew Sabol. Not only is he the professor who made up an entire class based on Video Game Design because of the sheer demand for one, teach me half the things I know today about writing comprehensively, and EVERYTHING I know about HTML and web design, he's understanding of students, caters to their interests, encourages them to do their best, and he's absolutely open about the kind of guy he is. I mean, every class he had he introduced us to his leather mask making website (http://www.frights.org/) as if it were nothing to be ashamed of, and really, it's not. It's awesome, and it's impressive, and I don't think any teacher I'll ever have after him will top that.

Rutskarn
2009-09-17, 11:22 AM
My Euro teacher played Rasputin.

All was forgiven.

Ra ra Rasputin...

Timberwolf
2009-09-17, 11:35 AM
Dr Tumblety, A.K.A "the Gnome" at University. One of those really great tutors who cares about the students. I strongly suspect her of going in to bat for me at the exam board when my barely adequate performance was probably worthy only of a 3rd.

Joran
2009-09-17, 11:36 AM
My professor in college was so awesome, he was immortalized in a webcomic.

http://machall.com/view.php?date=2002-09-16
http://machall.com/view.php?date=2002-12-02

He was an astronomy professor at the University of Maryland with tenure and knew it. His carried his books in Maker's Mark boxes. He would start every lecture with a monologue about how much he lost at the race track and he'd frequently rant about college politics and the dean of the department. He'd often hold office hours in the closest bar.

His crowning achievement was holding a night lecture about the topic of "Sex in Space"; the practical difficulties of intercourse in zero G and how to solve those issues. He taught the Science of Science Fiction, which was one of my all-time favorite classes while at college. R.I.P. Dave Theison.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-17, 11:40 AM
Mr. McCaslin, my high school AP European and American history teacher.

Mando Knight
2009-09-17, 11:58 AM
Probably my most awesome prof yet is Dr. Ronald J. Bieniek (http://web.mst.edu/~bieniek/), the guy in charge of teaching Engineering Physics 1 at MS&T.

Unless an in-class demonstration means something like the professor riding a rocket-powered tricycle while wearing a helmet with an arrow on it, you're doing it wrong. :smalltongue:

Did you touch the vector?

Weimann
2009-09-17, 11:58 AM
My school time has been a good one mostly, where I've sometimes had bad teachers, but mostly good ones. I feel I must particularly mention my teacher in Discrete Mathematics, Andreas Gunnarson. He was an inspiration in that he could not only teach the pupils, he could also talk to them, which is much harder. He used a language and methodology that the others couldn't compare to. Unfortunately, that still didn't prevent me from only barely passing his classes, but I know that several of my course mates took up engineering educations because of him.

Also, he was a damn funny and freethinking guy. For example, one time the class was joking about before class. One guy was talking about how great his family's cinnamon rolls were, and it was put forth that he should present the class with coffee and cinnamon rolls, if they were so good.

The talk died down as the class started, but the next class, said pupil actually had produced the cinnamon rolls! So the lesson through, we ate the rolls, and I clearly remember that as the absolute best lesson I have ever had, bar none. Not only was it a super atmosphere in the room, but everything the teacher said seemed to stick at once.

At the end, Andreas announced that as to make things fair, we should take turns in bringing baked goods to the lessons, and so it was that once a week, one pupil had something home-baked with him for class. That? Was awesome.

Thufir
2009-09-17, 12:17 PM
My GCSE & A-level maths teacher was brilliant. 4 years, never a dull lesson.
And one of the professors at uni is awesome he has a facebook group dedicated to him. He's so enthusiastic! Sadly he's mostly retired now.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-17, 02:08 PM
My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Miller, who signs every letter to me with "You are my joy", because I told her those words on the last day of kindergarten, and she still remembers having me as a student.

My 8th grade science teacher, Mr. Dietz, who was famous for picking things up and yelling "Don't touch this! This causes CANCER!". His mad scientist attitude towards life was surprisingly endearing, and he pushed us beyond our limits towards things we'd never have imagined we could do.

My 9th and 10th grade math teacher, Mr. Floyd, whose casual method of teaching made me realize just how much I could teach myself if someone guided my thoughts rather than forced them in a single specific direction.

My 11th grade English teacher, Ms. Hewett, who noticed me enough as a student to recognize my family problems and my struggles with depression and recommend therapy, treating me as more than just "one kid in one of my classes".

My 12th grade science teacher, Mr. Ehrensperger, who made storytelling and jokes a part of his class in an effort to make science part of life and not just something to be looked at on paper.

My 12th grade history teacher, Mr. Lane, who showed me that history could be an experience more than just reading old facts and let us explore the pages of time with our own curiosity instead of rigidly adhering to a text.

I seem to be fond of unconventional teaching methods, but...there's so much more to learning than textbooks and lesson plans and next-big-headings. Teachers that encourage interest and curiosity leading the way forward will always hold a special place in my heart.

Starscream
2009-09-17, 03:02 PM
My high school history/sociology teacher, Mr. Purvis. He was super funny, helpful, and informative, and really made his subjects interesting.

I actually wrote an essay about him for a scholarship and won. You know you're dealing with a great teacher when they can help you even after you graduate.

His wife, a math teacher, was pretty great too. And she appears as an extra in Shawshank Redemption, which was filmed in and around my home town. I will probably be pointing her out to people whenever I watch that film for the rest of my life.

Player_Zero
2009-09-17, 03:08 PM
Optimus Prime.
Best. Teacher. EVER!

Pfft. He's no Megatron. He'd teach you properly. To rule Cybertron with an iron fist made of iron.

Strawman
2009-09-17, 03:21 PM
I had a music teacher who once handed me a stone, and then told me to "run like the wind. Run as fast as you can to the head office and leave this on a desk. Then run back." He was awesome in general.

I've got a great teacher now in Intermediate Poetry Workshop. You can send him as much of your writing as you want, and he'll send it all back with well-thought out recommendations, compliments, complaints, etc. He'll also recommend a seemingly endless list of poets and writers and films that may be pertinent to a student's individual writing style. He's quickly climbing the ranks to my #1 favorite teacher position.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-17, 03:34 PM
Mr. Newton taught History and was the main reason I'm doing it now at uni. First guy to make it interesting to me.

On a different note we also had Mr. Wilson who won a gameshow in my first year of secondary school and never lived it down. He was cool though, it was like having a human version of Wikipedia that you could get drunk with :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2009-09-17, 04:07 PM
I can't remember too many that deserve the title of "Awesome." I've had many good teachers, but not too many stand out. I can think of three.

My high school calculus teacher. She was a decent teacher. I admire her because she was honest. I think the best example of this was one of my friends had her for precal, and was asking if she thought he could handle the Calc class. She said no. He asked why, and she responded "You have to be here at 7:00". He didn't take the class. To clear this up some, my friend is one of those people who would come in to school at 8:20 (10 minutes before class started) looking like he had slept-walked the entire way over.

My physics teacher in high school. He constantly would make jokes, teach with examples involving animals (rabbit off of a catapult for trajectory & freefall, gerbil & porcupine for inelastic collisions, etc.), as well as randomly going off into particle theory.

The problem was it was a high school class, so we got people who it'd take 3 days to get the concept. Because of this, he let my group of friends and I play Metroid hunters during class.

My proofs teacher was also really good. Back when I had to do proofs in geometry class in HS, I hated them. I went into this class expecting to hate it. It will probably be one of, if not my most favorite class in college. He knew the material (64 publications and IIRC 74 published proofs/patents), he knew how to teach, and he sounded like Thirsten Howell III, which is always a plus. He also refused to publish our textbook so we could get it for $10 through the local print shop instead of $180 through the bookstore.

Perenelle
2009-09-17, 04:28 PM
My old middle school band director. I loved her. She was nice, taught me how to play flute, and was laid back but could keep kids in line. She was awesome. :smallbiggrin:

my current Biology teacher, who is also laid back and really nice. I love her class already and its only the third week of school (well, third or fourth i'm not sure).

Oh and my old Algebra teacher. (I liked a lot of teachers) Because of him I have almost overcome my discomfort towards math. If it wasnt for me getting him as my teacher I would have definitely failed my Algebra End Of Course test.

Dragor
2009-09-17, 04:42 PM
My biology teacher when I was in secondary school. I don't know what the American equivalent to this is, but it's, er, between the ages of 12-16.

Anyway, not only did this guy make Biology incredibly fun and interesting through projections, hilarious jokes and very nerdy references, he played D&D with us. And put on good music when we were in lessons.

The best thing about this kind of teaching is that everyone wanted to do work because they didn't want to let him down. So everyone was disciplined and well mannered.

I also introduced him to Firefly.

He now owes me a beer when I turn 18 next year.

Such an awesome guy... definitely my favourite teacher of all time.

CMOTDibbler
2009-09-17, 05:26 PM
My 6th grade English teacher, Ms. Yale. Despite being in one of the worst schools in my state(in my opinion) she did a great job.

Megatron46
2009-09-17, 11:27 PM
Pfft. He's no Megatron. He'd teach you properly. To rule Cybertron with an iron fist made of iron.

Never a truer word was spoken...um...typed!

wxdruid
2009-09-17, 11:43 PM
I had a few favorite teachers and my father was a High School teacher, although he's retired now.

Dr Cobb - My Meteorology Professor in college. Great teacher, also a terror. I remember having to pay attention to the weather on the way to class because he'd go down the rows asking what the clouds were outside and no looking out the window because you forgot to pay attention. All his tests were fill in the blank or short answer. First few tests I got F's, finished up the General Meteorology class with a B and went on to major in it. :smalltongue:

He lived on a few acres? or so and had a small farm. He'd bring in apples in the fall. He also kept vitamins in his overly full office. He'd also crack my back and neck for me (and anyone else who'd ask). I still keep in contact and we exchange christmas cards (even after more than 10 years).

I had a chemistry professor. I was in a general chemistry class, easy, but fun. I always had a book with me. He noticed what type of book I read and told me I should read some of his wife's books. I read the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis in 2 days. Couldn't put it down. I had the fun of attending a reading she did and she signed my book for me. :smallbiggrin:

My father taught school for 36 years or so. He taught in middle school and High school. His subjects were Art and German. He drove a late 60's green bug to school everyday. He never had a sick day, never took time out of school. He started teaching before I was born and finished after I joined the Air Force. I never had him as a teacher, he taught in a different school district than the one I attended.

RS14
2009-09-17, 11:58 PM
Steve Sigur. He taught math at my high-school, and coached ARML as well. He got me involved and interested in math; he taught me and one other student BC calculus as an independent study because we were the only two who wanted to take it. He taught a seminar my senior year where we used Mathematica to do interesting things; synthesizing sound, playing with bifurcations, plus he taught us a bit of set theory. He took all of us to Gathering for Gardner (http://www.g4g4.com/) at the end of the year. In his own time, he hiked in British Columbia and the American West, and told us stories about it. He played guitar and banjo, and kept an old vichitra veena in his room, where students were always welcome to eat lunch.

He struggled with cancer through my senior year. Near the end, he brought math books from his home to the seminar and passed them out. He died a few months later.

I miss him very much.

Thajocoth
2009-09-18, 03:18 AM
Most of my teachers have been awesome. I'll have to remember to come back to this thread when more of my brain is working...

evisiron
2009-09-18, 08:06 AM
I had a really great history teacher for a few years.
The highlight was when we were learning about trench warfare - he actually had us flip the desks and crawl around the different levels of trenches (first line, second line, command, supply etc) while he taught, and would start "shooting" at anyone whose head was exposed.

Even better, he had us roll paper sheets into balls for ordinance with orders to open fire on anyone who entered the room. 1 student shows up late and gets completely pelted with paper balls. :smallbiggrin:

thorgrim29
2009-09-18, 11:52 AM
I had a great enriched english teacher in high school for two years. Mr. Goode, only teacher I ever called mister since I moved back from France. He worked at a local pub and coached a rugby team in his free time, and would always talk to us about it, his childhood in BC and in the bible belt, that kinda thing. Plus, he had little to no respect for the reading list, so while it's true we read the dreaded Catcher in the rye, we also had fun with Stephen King books. He was funny and smart and treated us as adults.

Also Remi, my accounting teacher from last term, was awesome, so much so that we gave him a standing ovation at our last class with him (15 classes since I started college, only one so far). He's worked many years for different accounting firms and other businesses, and shared what he learned with us. Most memorable quote: I once verified (meaning went over them looking for ireegularities for the non accountants in the thread) the books of a major union, and I suddenly understood a lot of things. Plus he was an old classmate of my dad's, so we talked a bit at parties and such, cool guy, great teacher.

Lioness
2009-09-23, 06:28 AM
I have THE most awesome chemistry teacher.

First, imagine a lady in her early-mid forties. A bit plump, but quite pretty. Then give her the cheerful disposition of a (new) preschool teacher. Then have her teaching senior school chemistry.

It's great. She walks into the classroom every day saying 'Good morning petals!' and gives us all nicknames. My friend Yvonne is 'Vonnie', I'm 'Miss Ella', and, when she can't think of a suitable nickname, they get pet names like 'Sugar' or 'Darling'. It's actually pretty amusing.

Well, today she decided that, for the last lesson of the term, she'd do some interesting demonstrations. She filled a big basin with water, and dropped Sodium in there. Not a lot, but, as sodium does, it soon burst into flames. We were all expecting it to, and hopefully so was she, but she screamed and jumped back! That was pretty unexpected.

Then she decided to react Zinc with really concentrated HCl, and filled a balloon up with Hydrogen gas. Then, still with her kindergarten-like demeanor, took us all outside to blow it up. Very concerned about the safety of it, of course, but still with a child-like eagerness of a small pyromaniac. The balloon blew up, inciting another scream, followed by giggles all 'round.

Best Chemistry lesson. Ever.

pendell
2009-09-23, 09:34 AM
Goodness, I've had so many good teachers.

Ms. Salhani, 4th and 5th grade. Put up with me graciously while I was going through severe emotional turmoil. She was a good and gentle person and not a bad teacher at all.

Mr. Fred Phelps, 6th grade. He was my first actual male teacher, and helped me adjust to the realities of elementary school life better than anyone else I'd known up to that point.

Mrs. Sarah Mcdaniel, 12th grade government. I owe her for forcing me to debate the opposite of one of my most dearly held politically principles. It made me realize that people who disagree with me aren't necessarily evil, they're simply approaching things from a very different point of view. I actually flipped viewpoints on that particular topic, due in part to that experience. It's amazing what happens when you approach a question from multiple viewpoints rather than just one.

Mrs. Sandananda, 11th grade chemistry teacher, for putting up with emotional immaturity on my part.

Mr. Thomson, 12th grade honors physics, for fascinating lectures and being an all-around cool guy.

Professor Tom Carter, computer science, 4th-year college. For being intelligent, witty, and the most unconventional of my teachers. I learned a lot from him and enjoyed his company, despite the fact that in many ways we were complete opposites.

Professor Chen, George Mason University, Graduate Computer Graphics. He worked me harder than I'd ever worked in an American university. We had to read not just the lecture notes but the books as well. There was a test every week. There was homework every week. There was a large and difficult class project at the end on top of all this.

He pushed me harder than I have ever been pushed before, but at the end of it I knew the material and got out with an A-.

So here's to you ,and all the other terrific teachers and professors I have had but space precludes mentioning all. Thank you, and Godspeed.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-23, 10:02 AM
I have THE most awesome chemistry teacher.

First, imagine a lady in her early-mid forties. A bit plump, but quite pretty. Then give her the cheerful disposition of a (new) preschool teacher. Then have her teaching senior school chemistry.

It's great. She walks into the classroom every day saying 'Good morning petals!' and gives us all nicknames. My friend Yvonne is 'Vonnie', I'm 'Miss Ella', and, when she can't think of a suitable nickname, they get pet names like 'Sugar' or 'Darling'. It's actually pretty amusing.

Well, today she decided that, for the last lesson of the term, she'd do some interesting demonstrations. She filled a big basin with water, and dropped Sodium in there. Not a lot, but, as sodium does, it soon burst into flames. We were all expecting it to, and hopefully so was she, but she screamed and jumped back! That was pretty unexpected.

Then she decided to react Zinc with really concentrated HCl, and filled a balloon up with Hydrogen gas. Then, still with her kindergarten-like demeanor, took us all outside to blow it up. Very concerned about the safety of it, of course, but still with a child-like eagerness of a small pyromaniac. The balloon blew up, inciting another scream, followed by giggles all 'round.

Best Chemistry lesson. Ever.

We did both those demonstrations with Mr. Dietz. Except for the sodium one, his fervor led to scorched ceiling tiles. And the hydrogen balloon had a story attatched to it, involving a member of our class nicknamed "Captain Snuggles". Surprisingly enough, that wasn't me (It's a reference to the fabric softener.). >.>

Deathslayer7
2009-09-23, 10:46 AM
i had a great Calculus teacher for two years. She taught us a lot of good stuff and made our classroom feel like a family. And whenever we made algebra mistakes, we would get hit by Nemo (yes the fish). The bst part was one of my friends always wanted to see my name go on the board (this happens for really bad algebra mistakes), and it did "The David". He complained about it not sounding right and she told it wasn't meant too.

Later on in the year, he had his name go up on the board, and she called it "The Varoon" purposely mispelling his name. Great times.

Also had my Chem teacher. Greay guy. We would always joke about how he looked like he belonged in the Mob with his slicked back hair. But the best part was that he had an armadillo that always sat up on the TV. Some friends decided to take it and gave him ransom notes with clues back to find his armadillo. Best thing was that it was in a classroom two doors down but we made him search the entire school. :smallbiggrin:

Amiria
2009-09-23, 05:11 PM
I really liked my german teacher, who was also my tutor for Abitur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abitur). He introduced me to H.P. Lovecraft. Iä iä, Cthulhu fthagn ! He also had a good taste of music, indy rock, etc. When our tutor group was at his home once I also witnessed that he had a Bang & Olufsen HiFi system ... style points.

I had only avearage grades in german and he didn't really managed to get me more enthusiastic about it but he was still my favorite teacher. I was better in biology, english and history. The (female) biology teacher I also remember kindly.

Yarram
2009-09-23, 11:19 PM
Cool teachers:
My Tuba teacher and I, after my lesson on a Tuesday night, walk across the road to Coles to buy food, then come back to the house beside the Conservatorium (where he works) and pretty much just chat. Sometimes we've talked into the wee hours of the morning.

My year 7 English teacher was awesome, and I still chat to him every now and then. Recently, I loaned him my comic copy of Watchmen, because he'd seen V for Vendetta and thought it was awesome (also by Alan Moore) and when he'd seen Watchmen, he missed a lot of the content.

My current Maths teacher often feeds us ice-cream and snakes in class, because she likes our group.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-23, 11:30 PM
I feel bad I haven't mentioned my teacher yet.I have a teacher who consistently takes me out for lunches when I ask, helps me with homework without complaining most of the time and lets me listen to music while I do my homework.

best mom ever.:smallbiggrin:

(I'm homeschooled.)

Ilena
2009-09-24, 08:06 AM
I had a teacher for grade 12 geography, he was probably the best teacher ive ever had in all 13 years of school. Mr Dodds, litterally wrote on the walls, windows, whatever was nearby at the time that he needed. Sitting at his desk by a massive window, he drew the solar system, cant remember why but someone asked a question and he just drew it there .... doing altitude he ran out of white board space, and he just started drawing down on the wall below it .... he let people bring lazyboys to class to sit in if we wanted to. I remember for the final exam he had some desks put together in the front of the class and sat a chair up there, and watched us for the entire exam from up there :P but you know what the most amazing part of it was? I would never do homework, never, i would do it in class but never at home, he gave out a photocopied book that was probably 100 - 200 pages, we all did every single one, i looked at it at the end of the year, and was like ... omg we did this all!? I never realized it, that i was doing the work, i actually wanted to do it for him, no other teacher has ever done that, definately amazing.