PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Blood-Spiked Charger

AslanCross
2009-09-17, 08:34 AM
While I am aware of the errata (the extra damage that Spiked Slam deals should be "2x Strength bonus" instead of "2x strength"), I would like this issue to be clarified:

Does this extra damage stack on top of the regular Strength-to-damage bonus, or replace it?

For example: A large creature with 30 Strength has a +10 Strength bonus. Normally, its Spiked Shield and Spiked Armor attacks deal 1d8+10 damage. (or 1d8+5 depending on which is the offhand).

If I used Spiked Avalanche, which is correct?

1. My Spiked Shield attack deals 1d8+20 damage and my offhand Spiked Armor attack deals 1d8+15 damage.

2. My Spiked Shield attack deals 1d8+30 (OMG) damage, and my offhand Spiked Armor attack deals 1d8+25 damage.

The wording is rather confusing.

Person_Man
2009-09-17, 08:43 AM
"...you may make a single attack with the Spiked Armor or the Spiked Shield that receives a 2x Strength modifier bonus to damage –or– attacks with both your Spiked Armor and your Spiked Shield that each receive a 1x Strength modifier bonus to damage (two weapon penalties apply)."

My reading is that if you choose the first option, the 2x Str damage bonus replaces the normal 1x or 1.5x Str damage bonus to Str.

If you choose the second option, the 1x Str bonus to each replaces the 1x Str (primary hand) and 0.5 Str bonus (off hand) that you normally get for TWF.

However, it's such a bad feat that I'd give you your 2x Str bonus or 1x Str bonus on top of the normal bonuses. But I don't think that's RAI.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-17, 08:59 AM
Im not to clear on the stacking rules but wouldn't it make it
2x and 1.5x cuz multiplyers add together or somthing

AslanCross
2009-09-17, 09:05 AM
Strange, though, because the PHB2's wording is different from the Feat index's wording (which you quoted).

A successful attack with your spiked shield or your spiked armor deals extra damage equal to twice your Strength bonus. You can attack with both your spiked armor and a spiked shield on this charge, each one benefiting from the Strength bonus, but you take the normal penalties for using two weapons.

The wording seems to contradict itself. "A successful attack with either" implies the use of the shield OR the armor, but the second clause says you can attack with both, each one benefiting from the strength bonus (as opposed to "your strength bonus), but you take the normal penalties for using two weapons (the regular -2 TWF penalty). :smallsigh:

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-17, 09:15 AM
It doesn't seem that brokento do the one with more dmg.

Sliver
2009-09-17, 10:21 AM
"...you may make a single attack with the Spiked Armor or the Spiked Shield that receives a 2x Strength modifier bonus to damage –or– attacks with both your Spiked Armor and your Spiked Shield that each receive a 1x Strength modifier bonus to damage (two weapon penalties apply)."

My reading is that if you choose the first option, the 2x Str damage bonus replaces the normal 1x or 1.5x Str damage bonus to Str.

If you choose the second option, the 1x Str bonus to each replaces the 1x Str (primary hand) and 0.5 Str bonus (off hand) that you normally get for TWF.

However, it's such a bad feat that I'd give you your 2x Str bonus or 1x Str bonus on top of the normal bonuses. But I don't think that's RAI.

I don't see it, it looks to me like it says the attack "receives" 2X Str bonus to damage, and I fail to find the reason you say you replace it..

To me it looks like you get 3X Str (instead of 1X) to one attack or 2X Str (Instead of 1X) and 1.5X STR (instead of 0.5X)..

Person_Man
2009-09-17, 10:29 AM
Well either way, I hope everyone recognizes that the fact that you can only make one or two attacks means that its quite weak by ECL 6-11ish, when most self respecting melee builds will have Pounce and 3+ attacks.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-17, 11:05 AM
could not this guy be barb1 /fighter 5 and have the feats (away from books) to take this and chanrge pounce with a shield at there irritives and then an extra armor spikes?

PinkysBrain
2009-09-17, 11:32 AM
Fighter 5?

Person_Man
2009-09-17, 11:44 AM
could not this guy be barb1 /fighter 5 and have the feats (away from books) to take this and chanrge pounce with a shield at there irritives and then an extra armor spikes?

I'm blocked at work right now, but I think the errata (which is incorporated into crystalkeep) limits you to "a single attack" or one attack each with your spiked shield and spiked armor. So no. Unless I'm wrong, or your DM chose to ignore it.

Also, there's no reason to dip into Barb to get Pounce (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358).

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-17, 11:49 AM
Fighter 5?

ya sorry about that.

Person_man i wasn't sure if it was only one attack or what not. or if the errata said any thing...

AslanCross
2009-09-17, 05:37 PM
The errata only addresses the "double your Strength" misprint. It does not talk about any of the clarifications on attacks, but it does seem to say that you may only make one attack with your armor and shield, at most.