PDA

View Full Version : LFG: what's going on?

Berserk Monk
2009-09-17, 10:36 AM
So, what are the main characters trying to do exactly? I remember how in the beginning it was just Cale and Richard, then Richard killed Cale and found Benny to resurrect him, then they fled from he guard, ended up in a mountain cave, and mentioned they had to find the Sword of Truth (which I'm fairly certain they stole from Terry Goodkind unless he as well just stole that name from some older source). I'm just wondering what the hell they're all doing now. I'm just confused. There's been so much crap going on and so many characters and subplot and cultural references. Mostly I just read to watch Richard kill stuff, but what the hell's have they been doing?

Morty
2009-09-17, 10:46 AM
I asked myself the same question before I stopped reading it. I think that now the general plot is that Cale is supposed to rebuild Kethenecia, but I'm not sure. The Sword of Thruth seems to have been forgotten.

FoE
2009-09-17, 11:00 AM
At the moment? Heading further north to save the Sisters.

In the long-term? Rebuilding the civilization of Kethenecia and overthrowing Legara.

And yes, the "Sword of Truth" reference was borrowed from Goodkind. I say "borrowed" because it barely enters the story except as a joke.

Aidan305
2009-09-17, 11:08 AM
I've pretty much stopped trying to work out what's going on in LFG and now merely read it for the pretty pictures. Mostly what's happened though is the development of a severe case of Cerebus Syndrome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CerebusSyndrome)

t_catt11
2009-09-17, 11:26 AM
At the moment? Heading further north to save the Sisters.

In the long-term? Rebuilding the civilization of Kethenecia and overthrowing Legara.

Yes, this.

It's funny - everything started out as an MMORPG story, which then referenced Goodkind (if you remember, the creator was reading the novels heavily at the time). It has since tried to become an epic fantasy novel of sorts.

Still an enjoyable read, if a tad more hollow than it once was. Also, what will that wacky Richard do next?

chiasaur11
2009-09-17, 12:28 PM
Still an enjoyable read, if a tad more hollow than it once was. Also, what will that wacky Richard do next?

Kill people and avoid any and all consequences for his actions?

(That's why Black Mage is so fun. He's a horrible person in an awful world, but he still gets what he has coming. Which makes him take it out on someone. And the cycle repeats.)

T-O-E
2009-09-17, 12:28 PM
Oh man, I hope he kills something and makes a witty comment. He doesn't done that in ages.
:smalltongue:

EDIT: Ninja'd

BloodSquirrel
2009-09-17, 02:20 PM
So, what are the main characters trying to do exactly? I remember how in the beginning it was just Cale and Richard, then Richard killed Cale and found Benny to resurrect him, then they fled from he guard, ended up in a mountain cave, and mentioned they had to find the Sword of Truth (which I'm fairly certain they stole from Terry Goodkind unless he as well just stole that name from some older source). I'm just wondering what the hell they're all doing now. I'm just confused. There's been so much crap going on and so many characters and subplot and cultural references. Mostly I just read to watch Richard kill stuff, but what the hell's have they been doing?

To be honest, I got bored with LFG when the author started trying to push too much plot through too few pages. Nothing really has room to develop or breathe.

Cracklord
2009-09-17, 07:26 PM
The plot isn't my issue. What gets me is the stilted dialogue, and the fact that Richard is the only bloody character. I mean, Black Mage is only funny, because despite the fact he gets away with some horrible stuff, he's a sad, lonely individual who the universe regularly beats up. Besides, Fighter can be just as funny as Black Mage, and so can Red Mage, and Thief has some awesome moments.

Where LFG? Richard does stuff. says some phrase that probably sounds funny in the author's head. The other cardboard cutouts nod their heads. Case repeat.

Steven the Lich
2009-09-17, 07:52 PM
Its not the Sword of Truth anymore...
Its the Spoon of Truth. :smallbiggrin:

THIS... IS... SOOBA!

Yeah, and the focus is rebuilding Kethenica, and they're going to save the sisters.

Totally Guy
2009-09-18, 04:29 PM
Phew, I thought I was the only one that didn't get it.

Ghastly Epigram
2009-09-19, 02:32 AM
I'm honestly not sure why I still read Looking For Group. I just can't shake the impression that the author thinks it's a lot more dramatic/epic/funny/whatever than it actually comes across. You have these moments which are obviously supposed to be special, but A: they come up every few pages, B: you don't know what the hell is going on, and C: have no attachments to the characters anyway. It just feels like he's trying way too hard.

Of course, the art looks nice, and I think it may be suffering less from the cluttering than it used to. But that could just be me imagining things/the nature of the more recent strips.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-09-19, 10:58 AM
Yeah I stopped reading it when I didnt know what the hell was going on, and the only "funny" thing about the comic was that Richard likes to kill things. I really don't know how it's still popular.

Also, I checked the latest comic to see what was happening. It looks like they haven't changed their winning formulae: http://archive.lfgcomic.com/lfg0288.gif

Drakyn
2009-09-19, 03:16 PM
I'm going to agree that the art is good but the writing is just...who cares. Also, I'm not sure why, but every time I read something the author posts with his opinion on anything, no matter how innocuous, I start growling. That may be just me.

Lord Seth
2009-09-19, 04:53 PM
Looking For Group comes across, at least to me, as 8-Bit Theater taking itself seriously. The problem is that 8-Bit Theater isn't something that can take itself seriously (unless it's being self-conscious about it), so the whole thing comes across as rather boring.

Rustic Dude
2009-09-19, 05:24 PM
I had read 10 pages, then decided to not read anymore.

Feels lacking...something, I don't know. Perhaps plain characters.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-20, 08:45 AM
I'm honestly not sure why I still read Looking For Group. I just can't shake the impression that the author thinks it's a lot more dramatic/epic/funny/whatever than it actually comes across.

Quoted for truth, except that I quit reading it over a year ago. A story without compelling characters is simply boring, and repetitive humor isn't funny. Imho.

FoE
2009-09-23, 11:30 PM
Apparently, sexy times are what's going on. :smalleek:

AmberVael
2009-09-24, 08:13 AM
I still read LFG, mostly out of idle curiosity rather than interest, and... when I saw today's strip...

Apparently, sexy times are what's going on. :smalleek:

...yeah.
Where the hell did this come from?
Also- why did it happen at all?
To sum it up:
"WTF?!" and "Please stop this now." :smalleek:

thorgrim29
2009-09-24, 08:35 AM
Yeah, Sohmer kinda lost his stride there.... At least LICD is still funny a few times a week (although now he's unfortunately in preaching mode)

Drakyn
2009-09-24, 08:43 AM
Yeah, Sohmer kinda lost his stride there.... At least LICD is still funny a few times a week (although now he's unfortunately in preaching mode)

...is he ever. Man, I don't even care what his point IS, the delivery is making me hate it. He could be preaching free puppies and infinite food and an end to overpopulation and hatred ALL AT ONCE and the way he's handling it would turn me into a furious frothing wreck.

And yeah, out of nowhere. Wurrrrhurgh? I mean, I can see it happening (richard's dead, cowman is her "dad," she's young), but it would've been nice to have some actual foreshadowing. I firmly stand by my opinion that Sohmer is a good businessman and an absolutely neutral writer at best.

Indon
2009-09-24, 09:56 AM
You know, as of two comics ago I could've answered this question confidently.

Now? Not so sure.

t_catt11
2009-09-24, 11:08 AM
You know, as of two comics ago I could've answered this question confidently.

Now? Not so sure.

I have to agree. Cale threatening Pella out of the blue? Elf/orc bondage lovin?

Dude, you got me.

T-O-E
2009-09-24, 11:37 AM
The last panel's a joke, right?

FoE
2009-09-24, 11:55 AM
In my mind, Cale scolding Pella made less sense than Cale hooking up with Benny. The signs were there, though they were subtle. My Shipping senses have been tingling.

Morty
2009-09-24, 11:57 AM
In my mind, Cale scolding Pella made less sense than Cale hooking up with Benny. The signs were there, though they were subtle. My Shipping senses have been tingling.

LFG is constructed entirely from heavy-handed cliches. It was pretty much bound to happen.

FoE
2009-09-24, 01:38 PM
LFG is constructed entirely from heavy-handed cliches. It was pretty much bound to happen.

Now that's interesting. I have many criticisms of LFG but "constructed entirely from heavy-handed cliches" is not one of them.

Certainly it uses tropes, but so does everything. And on occasion, the comic (http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/227) is even clever enough to subvert them. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigDamnHeroes)

Morty
2009-09-24, 01:50 PM
Now that's interesting. I have many criticisms of LFG but "constructed entirely from heavy-handed cliches" is not one of them.

Certainly it uses tropes, but so does everything. And on occasion, the comic (http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/227) is even clever enough to subvert them. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigDamnHeroes)

Originally, I didn't think of TVTropes, but now I think this website might actually prove useful for once. The problem with LFG is that the author uses tropes for tropes' sake, trying to fit every single fantasy theme into the story - but once he uses a trope, he makes no effort to make it work. And, of course, that nothing that ever appeared there was original or noteworthy in any way - just typical high fantasy characters and plot twists stiched together.

TheSummoner
2009-09-28, 09:03 AM
I had no particularly strong feelings on the Cale/Benny ship setting sail, however I laughed my ass off at today's comic. Another classic Richard moment.

t_catt11
2009-09-28, 09:10 AM
Yep, I gotta agree... this romance angle feels really forced, but I laughed at two spots in this update - the cow guy laughing at Richard, and Richard with his offer and shovel.

It doesn't have to be a work of classic literature to be worth reading.

Gamerlord
2009-09-28, 01:40 PM
I just saw some of the latest comics.... DEAR PELOR!!!! PROTECT MY MIND!!! PLEASE VECNA, STOW AWAY THESE DISTURBING MENTAL IMAGES FOREVER AND REMOVE THEM FROM MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN Short: GHAH! GHAH! GHAH! GHAH!!!!!!

FoE
2009-09-28, 01:45 PM
Whatsamatter, gamerkid? :smalltongue:

Someone clearly needs to have The Talk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTalk) with Richard.

Gamerlord
2009-09-28, 01:48 PM
Whatsamatter, gamerkid? :smalltongue:

Someone clearly needs to have The Talk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTalk) with Richard.

Whats the matter? WHATS THE FREAKING MATTER?!!! I JUST SAW A ROMANCE SCENE BETWEEN A TROLL AND AN ELF THAT IS WHAT THE MATTER IS!!!!

FoE
2009-09-28, 01:51 PM
Whats the matter? WHATS THE FREAKING MATTER?!!! I JUST SAW A ROMANCE SCENE BETWEEN A TROLL AND AN ELF THAT IS WHAT THE MATTER IS!!!!

And ...?

Just be grateful it's not Richard and Pella. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-09-28, 01:56 PM
And ...?

ITS CREEPY!

But good point with the Richard x Pella thing.

Tavar
2009-09-28, 02:01 PM
Are we ever actually told that she's a Troll. Last I remember, she's and unidentified race.

Gamerlord
2009-09-28, 02:04 PM
I'm just guessing she is one of the following:

REALLY tall goblin
Troll
Orc
Doppleganger

FoE
2009-09-28, 02:04 PM
Are we ever actually told that she's a Troll. Last I remember, she's an unidentified race.

That's true, but the best guess is "troll". Until it's confirmed one way or the other, I see no reason not to call her a female troll.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with the fact they're different species. Cale is a handsome guy, Benny's an attractive woman. What's so bad about them hooking up?

Gamerlord
2009-09-28, 02:07 PM
I guess I'm just not a fan of this kind of stuff. The spell she cast on him just makes it worse.

Morty
2009-09-28, 02:10 PM
I can't belive I'm saying this, but this was kind of funny.

FoE
2009-09-28, 02:11 PM
I can't belive I'm saying this, but this was kind of funny.

Welcome to the dark side, Morty. :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2009-09-28, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the dark side, Morty. :smallbiggrin:

Nah, LFG is still bad. It's just weird to see an attempt at an actual joke involving Richard.

FoE
2009-09-29, 12:37 AM
Nah, LFG is still bad. It's just weird to see an attempt at an actual joke involving Richard.

It doesn't matter. The brief pleasure you experienced reading LFG today will forever haunt your soul. It'll come to you in your best moments — your graduation, your first kiss, your wedding day, the birth of your first child, the moment you climb a mountain. You'll be happier than you've ever been and then you'll remember the time you thought LFG was kinda funny. And then shame will fill your heart and you will weep bitter tears at the revelation.

Welcome to hell, Morty. Hope you enjoy your stay. :smallamused:

Cracklord
2009-09-29, 06:42 AM
I didn't find it funny. I thought damn, Sohmer, how did you manage two strips without your love of Richard? Then checked. Both strips mentioned him.

t_catt11
2009-09-29, 08:48 AM
It's okay to find it funny, really, it is. We won't tell.

Indon
2009-09-29, 12:26 PM
That's true, but the best guess is "troll". Until it's confirmed one way or the other, I see no reason not to call her a female troll.
Troll and Orc would be comparably likely, to my knowledge.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with the fact they're different species. Cale is a handsome guy, Benny's an attractive woman. What's so bad about them hooking up?

They've clearly had a relationship previously, but there doesn't seem to have been any foreshadowing of such.

Morty
2009-09-29, 02:36 PM
It doesn't matter. The brief pleasure you experienced reading LFG today will forever haunt your soul. It'll come to you in your best moments — your graduation, your first kiss, your wedding day, the birth of your first child, the moment you climb a mountain. You'll be happier than you've ever been and then you'll remember the time you thought LFG was kinda funny. And then shame will fill your heart and you will weep bitter tears at the revelation.

Welcome to hell, Morty. Hope you enjoy your stay. :smallamused:

Now I'll never sleep again. Thanks, man. :smalltongue:

Karoht
2009-09-30, 05:30 PM
I hate to talk bad about LFG. I do like it, really I do.

But I have to share something.
LFG is the reason I didn't launch my webcomic.
You know how you are all describing that feeling that the author is either
A) Way too in love with his work to notice that it's not THAT great or
B) It's just too much drama and plot and such all being rammed into too few pages.

Well, that made me think about my project, and consider that I might fall into either of those catagories and not realize it. Then I re-read my own work with a fine tooth comb, considering every sentence ever spoken from the characters lips. In the end I had to conclude that my work was starting to feel like either of the above.

So I propose a question to you all. Would you prefer that the author
A) Released content at the same rate now for both LICD and LFG as current (status quo)
or B) Refocused his time into releasing way more LICD?
Just curious.

FoE
2009-09-30, 05:44 PM
I'm content with the status quo. I don't think LICD or LFG could get any better by Sohmer focusing on either. In terms of writing ability, I think he's pretty much peaked.

That's not to say either is especially good.

Blackjackg
2009-10-02, 07:06 AM
So I propose a question to you all. Would you prefer that the author
A) Released content at the same rate now for both LICD and LFG as current (status quo)
or B) Refocused his time into releasing way more LICD?
Just curious.

Wow. Personally, I would go entirely the other way. Scrap LICD completely and focus on LFG. Rather than go into a tirade on the many reasons I had to stop reading LICD, I'll just state that I'd rather Sohmer and Lar put their effort into increasing the quality and output of LFG.

Gez
2009-10-02, 07:41 AM
Are we ever actually told that she's a Troll. Last I remember, she's and unidentified race.

http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/242

FoE
2009-10-03, 03:03 PM
http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/242

That was an insult, so it doesn't really count.

blueblade
2009-10-15, 12:40 AM
I'll come out and say it: I don't hate LFG. I like the fact the plot keeps going, and while it started as 8BT drawn well, it's very much in its own direction now.

Yes Richard gets a little too much time. I would have liked it if after the trail he had lost some of his power. But I don't agree that he dominates in either humour or combat.

t_catt11
2009-10-15, 08:23 AM
Richard autowins every fight. Richard owns the vast majority of the punchlines.

I'm not saying this is bad, but these are the facts.

Cracklord
2009-10-24, 01:06 AM
Richard autowins every fight. Richard owns the vast majority of the punchlines.

I'm not saying this is bad, but these are the facts.

Except against that Kickass middle aged captain.
I loved that guy.

Now, I myself am something of a lapsed Christian, so maybe it's my faith talking, but am I the only one who wants to kill him for this latest strip? Truly, this is a level of arrogance beyond what even he should be capable of.
This is not just preachy, this is not just not-funny, this is just tasteless.
This is like going to Oscar Schindler's grave and making Auchwitz jokes.

Drakyn
2009-10-24, 01:30 AM
Be silent and let the author's pet act whacky, heathen. WhhhhaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKY!

EDIT: I'd say he's definitely making fun of the fact that their creator figure is his rabbit rather than any aspects of the creation myth said rabbit is stapled onto, so no need for any feelings over the comic other than hilarity, boredom, or "my god, Lars, I want you to staple Richard to Rayne and then drive them through Ryan's head." You know, the usual trio.

Miraqariftsky
2009-11-01, 12:09 PM
Except against that Kickass middle aged captain.
I loved that guy.

Now, I myself am something of a lapsed Christian, so maybe it's my faith talking, but am I the only one who wants to kill him for this latest strip? Truly, this is a level of arrogance beyond what even he should be capable of.
This is not just preachy, this is not just not-funny, this is just tasteless.
This is like going to Oscar Schindler's grave and making Auchwitz jokes.

Agreed, brother. Yon Richard has long needed a humbling.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-02, 12:12 AM
It's not really bad. It might be mediocre, and it is upon reflection, but it never really occurred to me to consider it bad. It's not an effort to read.

Cracklord
2009-11-02, 12:13 AM
And that's good is it? That it in no way stimulates your brain and raises points, or has anything resembling humor?