PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if V will ever learn... (speculation!)

Kaytara
2009-09-17, 11:30 AM
...about the fate of the messenger birds? :smallwink:

I mean, it seems like good comedy material. Plus, another way to positively torment V, which would be entirely in keeping with the latest theme of the comic. XD

:haley: ...and food was really tough, I mean, we spent months eating nothing but scraps of rice! Though there was that one time when Belkar saw some weird tropical birds flying towards us... suffice to say, I'm glad I took Manyshot! :smalltongue:
:belkar: Oh yeah, those really hit the spot back then! :smallbiggrin:
:roy: Tropical birds? :smallconfused:
:vaarsuvius: :smalleek:
:durkon: Och. :smallsigh:
:elan: *poke*
:elan: *whispers* I think we broke V...

TheBibliophile
2009-09-17, 11:34 AM
...about the fate of the messenger birds? :smallwink:

I mean, it seems like good comedy material. Plus, another way to positively torment V, which would be entirely in keeping with the latest theme of the comic. XD

:haley: ...and food was really tough, I mean, we spent months eating nothing but scraps of rice! Though there was that one time when Belkar saw some weird tropical birds flying towards us... suffice to say, I'm glad I took Manyshot! :smalltongue:
:belkar: Oh yeah, those really hit the spot back then! :smallbiggrin:
:roy: Tropical birds? :smallconfused:
:durkon: Och. :smallsigh:
:elan: *poke*
:elan: *whispers* I think we broke V...

Mr Burlew, don't read this! I think this would be hilarious and I really want to see it in the comic!

sam79
2009-09-17, 11:35 AM
LOL

I always enjoy reading your posts, Kaytara, and this one was no exception!

NerfTW
2009-09-17, 11:40 AM
Mr Burlew, don't read this! I think this would be hilarious and I really want to see it in the comic!

But again, you've already read it. What's the point of reading it again, but with stick figures?

David Argall
2009-09-17, 02:00 PM
No.

For one thing, this has been used, better, when Lien asked what happened to the bodies of the trolls.

The incident is now history, water under the bridge. Indeed, V might welcome the news since it means her spell did not really fail. There were just bungling idiot[s] at the other end.

This sort of joke depends on the victim counting on the spell having worked. If V had cast the spell and the negative answer caused him to go to extreme efforts, the joke has merit. But here the bird messenger was just one of a continuing series of efforts. It's just not that big a deal.

Morquard
2009-09-17, 02:18 PM
Actually all the "lets kick V and show him how useless he is" was during his soulsplice.
Afterwards there hasn't been one joke in that manner at V's expense, so I don't really see this happening.

Silverraptor
2009-09-17, 02:27 PM
It's funny. I'll grant you that. But I think we're past the point of talking about the past.

Shale
2009-09-17, 02:30 PM
It's funny. I'll grant you that. But I think we're past the point of talking about the past.

This is no time to be talking about time! We don't have the time!

Silverraptor
2009-09-17, 02:32 PM

It's 12:32 p.m.

Aaron
2009-09-17, 02:41 PM

LOL! I believe you just won the thread, Silverraptor.:smallbiggrin:

That would be a funny comic idea, however.:smallbiggrin:

Bibliomancer
2009-09-17, 02:41 PM

It's actually 81:43.5 sdm on the Western Continent. You forgot to add Desert Sandstorm Time.

Shale
2009-09-17, 02:48 PM

You fool! You've doomed us all!

Bibliomancer
2009-09-17, 02:50 PM
You fool! You've doomed us all!

Calm down. It's not like time's going to free-

Optimystik
2009-09-17, 04:11 PM
"Have you read an encounter table? Nothing surprises me anymore." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0564.html)

It was an understandable mistake to make, I say. No need for V to BSOD over it.

Kaytara
2009-09-17, 04:20 PM
"Have you read an encounter table? Nothing surprises me anymore." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0564.html)

Really? The idea that, had he simply thought of tying actual letters to the birds, this whole thing would have been resolved months ago, is nothing to BSOD about? :smallamused:

spargel
2009-09-17, 04:23 PM

Oh, there's a pretty big need.

Optimystik
2009-09-17, 04:59 PM
Really? The idea that, had he simply thought of tying actual letters to the birds, this whole thing would have been resolved months ago, is nothing to BSOD about? :smallamused:

Simply put, no. Hindsight is 20/20. And if he has any sense at all, he would know that his bargain with the fiends was inevitable in any case, because of the Oracle's prophecy. Only his actions after that event should be a cause for regret.

Oh, there's a pretty big need.

There really isn't. We have enough elven angst for now, and by god we don't need more cryptograms.

Trobby
2009-09-17, 05:03 PM
I like the idea here, but I think you have it backwards.

:vaarsuvius:: Alas, Miss Starshine, besides the one deal that I made, which I shall not mention here again, my only true regret on our sea voyage was that my research never yeilded any results, and thus, all that which I sacrificed was for naught. I mean, I even tried to cast as spell upon three tropical birds to contact you, and I never heard back from them.

:haley:: ...:smalleek: Three...tropical...birds?

spargel
2009-09-17, 06:14 PM
Simply put, no. Hindsight is 20/20. And if he has any sense at all, he would know that his bargain with the fiends was inevitable in any case, because of the Oracle's prophecy. Only his actions after that event should be a cause for regret.

The circumstances can easily change to get the prophecy to come true in other ways. She might still need to bargain with fiends, but the actions afterwards might be different.

Optimystik
2009-09-17, 07:27 PM
The circumstances can easily change to get the prophecy to come true in other ways. She might still need to bargain with fiends, but the actions afterwards might be different.

Yes, but we're not talking about actions afterwards. Vaarsuvius' Greater Animal Messenger happened before the splice. More to the point, had his communication been successful, he would never have been driven to make a bargain in the first place.

I'm not saying it's impossible for him to angst over what might have been, but if he does then he's just being foolish. Clearly he wasn't meant to contact Haley then, which set the stage neatly for his soul transaction.

spargel
2009-09-17, 07:47 PM
Yes, but we're not talking about actions afterwards. Vaarsuvius' Greater Animal Messenger happened before the splice. More to the point, had his communication been successful, he would never have been driven to make a bargain in the first place.

It's pretty easy to come up with any number of alternate ways for the bargain to be made. And even if the animal messenger worked, the ABD would still be stalking her, waiting for the right moment. There might have to be another way to get her to do it for the "wrong reasons", but there's plenty of ways to accomplish that.

I'm not saying it's impossible for him to angst over what might have been, but if he does then he's just being foolish. Clearly he wasn't meant to contact Haley then, which set the stage neatly for his soul transaction.

When people angst, it's usually about the past.

Anyways, if I was V, I wouldn't really angst over the birds, since the soul splice could have still ended up having a positive outcome overall (Solve pretty much the entire main plot) if she was just a little smarter.

Optimystik
2009-09-17, 08:03 PM
It's pretty easy to come up with any number of alternate ways for the bargain to be made. And even if the animal messenger worked, the ABD would still be stalking her, waiting for the right moment. There might have to be another way to get her to do it for the "wrong reasons", but there's plenty of ways to accomplish that.

We don't need "plenty of alternate ways." We have one that worked, so there's zero reason to revisit the issue.

If the birds are referenced at all, it'll be as a gag, with Haley and Belkar either oblivious ("Birds? What birds?") or embarrassed ("Animal Messenger you say? Lots of wild animals around... they must've been eaten!") No need for an extended episode over it.

When people angst, it's usually about the past.

Which is why angst is usually foolish. Worse, it's the literary equivalent of a car spinning it's wheels in the mud; no progress is made.

Anyways, if I was V, I wouldn't really angst over the birds, since the soul splice could have still ended up having a positive outcome overall (Solve pretty much the entire main plot) if she was just a little smarter.

Exactly. V's already angsting about that. He even refers to his failure yet again in this latest strip. No need for more on top.

Kaytara
2009-09-18, 12:31 AM
We don't need "plenty of alternate ways." We have one that worked, so there's zero reason to revisit the issue.
I think what spargel meant is that the prophecy was not a guarantee that V's communication attempts would have failed, anyway, as it was possible for him to succeed in contacting Haley and still be driven to the fiend deal.

You know, guys, I DID say COMEDY material rather than ANGST material. I don't see it likely to appear as anything more than a one-shot gag, either...

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-18, 07:06 AM
Could everyone PLEASE stop using "angst" as a verb?! :smalltongue:

Kaytara
2009-09-18, 09:16 AM
Could everyone PLEASE stop using "angst" as a verb?! :smalltongue:

You'd prefer "to indulge in angst"...?

You know, I'm wondering where the word came from, in the first place. It just means "fear" in German.

Joerg
2009-09-18, 12:43 PM
You know, I'm wondering where the word came from, in the first place. It just means "fear" in German.

As far as I know, it came from German. It seems English speakers found it fitting for the psychological meaning.