PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]The Spellweaver - A Gish Base Class

arguskos
2009-09-17, 01:29 PM
From my previous project concerning school based spellcasters (ala Dread Necromancers), I bring you, the Spellweaver, a class that rapidly evolved into something beyond a school caster, and into a kind of gish alternative to the Duskblade.

Where the Duskblade is damage dealing focused, the Spellweaver is much more defensively focused. He can use his signature trick, the spellnet to defend and aid his entire party. He is martially focused, but with magical tricks, like the Duskblade. His main power though is in his mastery of the battlefield. Spellnets, and their cousins, deathnets, spiritnets, and the feared and dreaded soulnets let the Spellweaver strike fear into his enemies and give hope to his allies.

Below is what I currently have, and know that this is about a year old, so it WILL be changing soon. :smallsigh:

The Spellweaver
To some, magic is straightforward. They use it to demolish homes, minds, or souls. It is a tool, to be used for good or ill as the user decides. However, a hidden and forgotten sect of spellcasters discovered that if you approach magic as an art form, a whole new way of casting spells emerges.

The Spellweavers are the descendants of that sect. They use the mysterious spellnets to work their magic. Though capable of casting spells normally, the act of weaving their magic into the spellnets makes their spells far more potent.

Hit Die: d8
Class Skills: (TBA)
Skill Points: 4+Int Mod

Spellweaver
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Spellcasting, Armored Mage (light)

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|spellnet

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|

6th|
+6/1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Armored Mage (medium)

7th|
+7/2|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+8/3|
+2|
+2|
+6|Enhanced Spellnets

9th|
+9/4|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+10/5|
+3|
+3|
+7|

11th|
+11/6/1|
+3|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+12/7/2|
+4|
+4|
+8|deathnet

13th|
+13/8/3|
+4|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+14/9/4|
+4|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+15/10/5|
+5|
+5|
+9|

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+5|
+5|
+10|spiritnet

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+6|
+6|
+11|

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|soulnet
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A spellweaver has proficiency in all simple weapons, along with 2 martial weapons of his or her choice. They also have proficiency with all light armor and light shields.

Spellcasting: blahblah, Dread Necromancer-style spontaneous, Charisma-based casting.

Armored Mage (light): A spellweaver does not incur spell failure chance while wearing light armor. At level 6, this increases to medium armor, and the spellweaver gains proficiency with medium armor.

Spellnet: At 4th level, the spellweaver gains their true power: the ability to weave and create the semi-tangible spellnets that give the class it's name. A spellnet is an ethereal construct made of spells the weaver channels into it for delayed, yet combined effects.

A spellnet is made of cast, but unexpended, spells the spellweaver designates. The weaver may place one spell per turn, as a standard action, into the spellnet up to a maximum of 1 spell per 2 spellweaver levels. There is no limitation of the level of spell that may be placed into the net. When a spell in placed into a net, it is treated as expended from the spellweaver's spells/day, but does not have an effect until the net is used.

A spellnet lasts for a number of rounds equal to the spells placed into it, after the spellweaver is finished with making the net. Once a spellweaver begins making the net, he must either complete the net (to it's fullest capacity) or use the net. If he stops placing spells into the net, he cannot go back and place them in again later.

The effect of a spellnet is as follows: when used, the spellnet covers a 5-foot/level diameter area, affecting every target in that area with every spell in the spellnet. The spells all act independently, but trigger all at once, in the order they were placed into the net. If any triggered spells give a save, those saves are increase by 2. Using a spellnet is a full-round action. Once a target is hit with a spellnet, it remains attached to that spellnet for the duration of the net.

Enhanced Spellnets: At 8th level, the save boosting effect of a spellweaver's spellnets increases by 2, to a total of 4.

Deathnet: At 12th level, a spellweaver has learned how to create a deathnet, a specialized form of spellnet. Creating a deathnet is a full-round action, and using it is a move action. A deathnet spreads all damage done to any living creature in the net to all living creatures in the net. The damage is spread around equally. The net lasts for 1 round/level, and has a 5-foot/level diameter. All living creatures in the area of the net when it is cast get a Fortitude save to resist the effect (DC=10+cha mod+1/2 spellweaver level). If there is only one living creature affected by the net, then the net has no effect.

Spiritnet: At 16th level, the spellweaver can create a spiritnet, a specialized form of spellnet, much like a deathnet is. However, a spiritnet performs the opposite function from a deathnet: where a deathnet brings pain to those under it, a spiritnet heals those affected by it. Any living being in the area of a spiritnet heals 2 hp/spellweaver level each round, along with 1 point of ability damage or drain a round. A spiritnet lasts for 1 round/level, and has a 5-foot/level diameter.

Soulnet: At 20th level, the spellweaver unlocks the final power in his craft: the dreaded soulnet. A soulnet is much like a deathnet, but rather than dividing damage, it saps the soul. Any creature affected by a soulnet gains two negative levels each round, until the net's duration expires, or the creature dies. A creature affected by the soulnet gets a Fortitude save when the effect begins to resist the net (DC=10+cha mod+1/2 spellweaver level). If they succeed on their save, they gain only one negative level each round instead. A soulnet lasts for 1 round/level, and has a 5-foot/level diameter.

Spells/day{table=head]Level|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1st|2|0
2nd|3|1|-
3rd|4|2|0|-
4th|4|2|1|-|-
5th|4|3|2|0|-|-
6th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
7th|4|3|3|2|0|-|-|-
8th|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
9th|4|4|3|3|2|0|-|-|-
10th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
11th|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|-|-
12th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
13th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|-|-
14th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
15th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|0|-
16th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-
17th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
18th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
19th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2
20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
[/table]

Spell List:

0- All from the Player's Handbook, Spell Compendium, and any other source the player can convince the DM of. :smallamused:
1- cause fear, charm person, disguise self, doom, magic weapon, jump, longstrider, endure elements, protection from chaos/good/evil/law, mage armor, true strike, enlarge person, reduce person,
2- heroism, barkskin, resist energy, bull's strength, bear's endurance, owl's wisdom, fox's cunning, eagle's splendor, cat's grace, aid, death knell, hold person, shield other, spider climb, tasha's hideous laughter, protection from arrows, misdirection, false life
3- bestow curse, protection from energy, water breathing, water walk, contagion, magic vestment, poison, dispel magic, greater magic weapon, nondetection, tongues, hold person, deep slumber, rage, haste, slow, blink, vampiric touch, invisibility
4- freedom of movement, break enchantment, stoneskin, remove curse, charm monster, confusion, crushing despair, phantasmal killer, bestow curse, fear
5- spell resistance, wall of fire, wall of thorns, wall of ice, wall of stone, wall of iron, feeblemind, hold monster, waves of fatigue
6- dominate person, blade barrier, wind walk, greater dispel magic, lesser globe of invulnerability, true seeing, greater heroism, veil, circle of death
7- wind walk, slay living, spell turning, insanity, power word: blind, waves of exhaustion
8- protection from spells, maze, otto's irresistible dance, power word: stun, iron body
9- regenerate, imprisonment, freedom, dominate monster, power word: kill, weird

I'll be adding more spells from the Spell Compendium, Complete Mage, Player's Handbook 2, and anywhere else I feel like, so just take this as a list of spells that are representative of what the Spellweaver can do.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-17, 02:47 PM
I like this class. It has a better flavor than the Duskblade, & the spellnets are a fun & interesting new mechanic.

One thing, though: I'm not a fan of dead levels, & this class could use a bit of a power boost, IMO. I think some other class features might help matters. How about some bonus feats (metamagic, of course), some spell resistance (not too much, just enough to matter), & Armored Mage (heavy) at higher levels. That should lend some increased options for players.

arguskos
2009-09-17, 02:56 PM
Thanks Zeta, means a lot to hear you like it! :smallredface:

I personally don't like dead levels either. My goal in posting what I have is to get more suggestions on what to do for the dead levels.

I was already gonna add Armored Mage (medium) and (heavy). Seems reasonable. I like the idea of metamagics, though I fear that spellnets+metamagic effects+spells could end baaaadly. But, then again, it might be awesome. I've been mulling over SR, but then the Spellweaver starts to become more of a spellcasting mage-hunter, which seems a bit silly to me. I included the Spell Resistance, Spell Turning, and Protection from Spells spells in his spell list because I thought Turning on a net would be hilarious. :smallamused: I think that's enough, but, maybe it's not. I'd like some elucidation on the idea though.

arguskos
2009-09-17, 10:43 PM
Been 8 hours, figure it's fair game for a bump or so. I was hoping to get more advice before I make some changes, see what people think of the class as it stands.

54 views means people have been checking it out, and that, at least somewhere, folk like it, kinda, somewhat, a littleish. :smallwink:

Godskook
2009-09-17, 11:27 PM
1.Do spells cast through a spellnet have a duration based on the original spell or the standard round/level duration of 'nets'?

2.Outside the nets, of what benefit is this class over a mystic theurge built around buffing?

3.How often are nets usable?

4.Do they function as spells, SLAs, or Su abilities? Can you force a concentration check on one?

5.What's the area on the nets? Can a creature 'maneuver' out of one, or does he need some kind of magic to be rid of it?

6.Can spells be cast into any net, or just a spellnet?

7.Am I reading 'Enhanced spellnets' right? It sounds like you're gimping the class ability there? I think you mean 'increase the DCs', but that seems painfully powerful.

Roc Ness
2009-09-18, 07:08 AM
Where the Duskblade is damage dealing focused, the Spellweaver is much more defensively focused.

Ha ha! The first thing I thought of when I read that was Dawnblade! :smallbiggrin:

In more serious terms I do like the originality of your class.

Iferus
2009-09-18, 07:25 AM
I think this is too powerful. A level ten character can take ten turns to prepare for a battle, then buffing his entire party and whatever followers they have who have been waiting to start an encounter. Even at level 4, a spellweaver can use Bears Endurance as if it were Mass Bears Endurance.

arguskos
2009-09-18, 03:22 PM
1.Do spells cast through a spellnet have a duration based on the original spell or the standard round/level duration of 'nets'?
Nets, not the spells.

2.Outside the nets, of what benefit is this class over a mystic theurge built around buffing?
This class does it to everyone, not himself. And, really, the nets ARE the class. :smalltongue:

3.How often are nets usable?
At will.

4.Do they function as spells, SLAs, or Su abilities? Can you force a concentration check on one?
THAT'S something I failed to put down. My bet is that the nets are Su.

5.What's the area on the nets? Can a creature 'maneuver' out of one, or does he need some kind of magic to be rid of it?
The nets area is listed, IIRC. "the spellnet covers a 5-foot/level diameter area". Creatures cannot get out of a net once hit by it, though the saves given let a creature escape each effect it saves against.

6.Can spells be cast into any net, or just a spellnet?
Just a spellnet. Deathnets, spiritnets, and soulnets all are unique creations.

7.Am I reading 'Enhanced spellnets' right? It sounds like you're gimping the class ability there? I think you mean 'increase the DCs', but that seems painfully powerful.
Yeah, you are wrong. What is does is increase the special ability of the spellnets. See, spellnets give a number of saves, based on each spell in the net (which gives it's own save), but give a flat +2 bonus to the DC of each spell's save in the net. Enhanced Spellnets ups that to 4. I might make it up to +3, and later to +4, since yeah, that's a bit strong as of right now.
Answers in there, bolded.

I think this is too powerful. A level ten character can take ten turns to prepare for a battle, then buffing his entire party and whatever followers they have who have been waiting to start an encounter. Even at level 4, a spellweaver can use Bears Endurance as if it were Mass Bears Endurance.
I think you aren't really giving it any leeway. First, yes, a character can do that, but he actually can only use 5 spells in the net (1 spell per TWO levels of spellweaver), and the net will only last for 5 rounds total.

As for at level 4, yeah, he could do that, but it only lasts for 1 round that way. If he REALLY needs to do that, just let him. What's the harm here again?