PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Warlord gaining a pet?

Tyger
2009-09-17, 09:23 PM
Is there any way, by RAW, for a Warlord, who has already multiclassed into Ranger, to somehow get an animal companion?

I know I could just let him buy a hound or something similar, but I was hoping to make it more interesting than that, something that he could bond to in some small way. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Gralamin
2009-09-17, 09:36 PM
Is there any way, by RAW, for a Warden, who has already multiclassed into Ranger, to somehow get an animal companion?

I know I could just let him buy a hound or something similar, but I was hoping to make it more interesting than that, something that he could bond to in some small way. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm guessing the tile should say "Warden" not "Warlord".
Some things off the top of my head: Remake him into a hybrid character. Use the Companion rules from DMG2.

Tyger
2009-09-17, 09:38 PM
I'm guessing the tile should say "Warden" not "Warlord".
Some things off the top of my head: Remake him into a hybrid character. Use the Companion rules from DMG2.

Whoops, in fact the text (which I have changed) should have read Warlord...

Companion Rules from DMG2 you say? I assume this is one of those things that is on the DDI, but not yet in print... blast! The Companion Rules sound like just the thing.

Gralamin
2009-09-17, 09:52 PM
Whoops, in fact the text (which I have changed) should have read Warlord...

Companion Rules from DMG2 you say? I assume this is one of those things that is on the DDI, but not yet in print... blast! The Companion Rules sound like just the thing.

If by not printed you mean the in the DMG 2 I am holding in my hands right now. Then yes. Not printed. (Hint: It might be printed :smalltongue:)

FoE
2009-09-17, 09:54 PM
Is the DMG2 any good, Gralamin? I liked some of the excerpts I read.

Mando Knight
2009-09-17, 09:55 PM
It's in the DMG2, which came out... two days ago.

Tyger
2009-09-17, 09:58 PM
Aha! I stand (or rather sit at my desk) corrected. I shall have to get a copy of this book!

Gralamin
2009-09-17, 10:09 PM
Is the DMG2 any good, Gralamin? I liked some of the excerpts I read.

Overall? I Like it. The first Chapter is FULL of Examples of concepts for Collabarative Storytelling and making your D&D games better. The Second has a lot on making interesting encounters, including objectives, secondary objectives, and tailoring your game towards player archetypes, as well as more traditional things like Traps and terrain. They threw in some Minion traps that are basically one time use traps. The End of the Second Chapter has an encounter put together with all the information in the chapter.

The Third is the Skill Challenges, including the Errata'd Rules. It has quite a few pieces of text I recognize from "Ruling Skill Challenges" from Dungeon in it. Some of them are quite complex and it looks like some thought was, at least, put into some of their execution.

The Fourth Chapter includes Easy one power templates to give a theme to monsters, A Bunch of new Templates that are interesting, Class templates for every new class but Artificer and Assassin (But there is a reprint of Swordmage for some reason). Finally, the new Elite, Solo, and minion rules are there.

Chapter Five introduces Alternative Rewords (Not sure how good a lot of them are), a page on Item components, And quite a few Artifacts. Then they give some basics on Organizations, and some ideas for Campaign Arcs.

Chapter Six gives a bunch of information on how to make paragon tier interesting, a nice write up of Sigil, and a sample adventure in Sigil.

I'd say it was worth what I paid for it.

Mando Knight
2009-09-17, 10:19 PM
*Adds DMG2 to his must-get list*