PDA

View Full Version : Glasses In The Playground

Jacklu
2009-09-17, 10:48 PM
So, Jacklu just got glasses.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c22/Jacklu/me002-1.png

Barely need them at all, actually. But I felt like making it into a group event. So, glasses wearing denizens of GiantITP, how we all doing tonight? Any interesting stories about glasses? Cool frames? Zany misadventures from loosing them in the middle of a chase scene through a haunted house? Any hints or tips for newly lensed individuals? Personally, I can't get used to the feeling of them on my nose. =P

Icewalker
2009-09-17, 10:50 PM
My dad wears glasses. My mom wears glasses. My grandparents all wore/wear glasses. My uncle wears glasses.

I've never needed them, at least so far. Great eyesight. I thank my lucky genetics...for now.

Rutskarn
2009-09-17, 10:51 PM
Mine were the spectacles used by a dying scholar, a fallen ancient who was the last of his arcane kind. As the last spark of life faded from his gnarled frame, he lifted them up in a shriveled hand. I felt a tingle shoot up my spine, and he was gone...and the glasses were on my face.

It was just as well. Without them, I never could have defeated the stone men.

Dragonrider
2009-09-17, 10:52 PM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/glasses06.jpg

I've had them since I was six years old.

Tharivol123
2009-09-17, 10:54 PM
I don't need glasses except sunglasses. I have a severe sensitivity to light, so my sunglasses are on pretty much any time I am outdoors. The only advice I can give is to keep track of where you put them when you aren't wearing them. I've popped so many lenses out by accidentally sitting on the coat pocket they were in, or bending the frames through some other manner that is absurd.

As for the feeling them on your nose thing, that comes with time. It took me around a year to get used to having glasses on all the time when outside, and it usually takes a couple weeks to get used to a new pair.

Recaiden
2009-09-17, 10:56 PM
I wear (ridiculously large) glasses, and have for several years. You'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Dragonrider
2009-09-17, 10:57 PM
I usually get a new pair every two years (that's how often the insurance covers it) and my mum forgot to schedule me an appointment this summer, which means it'll probably be three...and two between checkups... :smallsigh:

blackfox
2009-09-17, 10:57 PM
I'm the only one in my family with good vision. 20/12 or so. But I have to wear sunglasses whenever I go outside in the day because my meds dilate my eyes. Which isn't too bad a tradeoff, I just go around looking cool. :smallcool:

Jacklu
2009-09-17, 10:58 PM
I had originally been shooting for this awesome pair of round half frames that were all copper and awesome. But they cost $300 more than the ones I got. x_x Originally I wasn't really sold on them, as my prescription is so small that I really dun need them to see(is slightly nearsighted in the right eye). But once I started wearing them, my eye relaxed and this slight headache I've had for a couple months up and vanished.

RS14
2009-09-17, 11:00 PM
Small, oval, unadorned, thin metal frame of uniform thickness. I am consistent in my shopping. I will never buy anything in which the lens is is not fully surrounded by the rims. I will never switch to contacts.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-17, 11:00 PM
I wear contacts. There exists only one picture of me wearing glasses on the internets. I think blackfox is the only one who's seen it. >.>

Dragonrider
2009-09-17, 11:01 PM
But once I started wearing them, my eye relaxed and this slight headache I've had for a couple months up and vanished.

Yup.

My vision is better in the morning because my eyes are fairly good at compensating when I'm rested. But in the afternoon and evening I have headaches. I don't know how to change this because I always have my optometrist appointments in the morning and my prescription never seems to change...yet the evening headaches continue....

Complicated by the fact that I'm nearsighted (20/50, not THAT bad, but bad enough to be a problem) in one eye and farsighted in the other. Plus astigmatism. :smallsigh:

KataraAltinaII
2009-09-17, 11:02 PM
age-wise, every other person in my family wears them except my little sister.

My dad does.
my mom doesn't.
I do. [wouldn't post here if I didn't]
my twin brother doesn't.
my next brother down does.
the one after him doesn't.
my sister does.
my next younger brother doesn't.
and my baby sister breaks the trend (but she's only 2).

blackfox
2009-09-17, 11:04 PM
I wear contact. There exists only one picture of me wearing glasses on the internets. I think blackfox is the only one who's seen it. >.>Have not. Unless it's on Bookface, in which case I'm not the only one.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-09-17, 11:17 PM
My entire family wears glasses. My overwhelming awesome self is no exception.

Jacklu
2009-09-17, 11:21 PM
My eye doctor suggested contact. :smallsigh: The thought of sticking something in mah eye... *shudders* sides, what's the point of wearing corrective lenses if they aren't going to increase your sexiness? :smallcool: Speaking of which, I picked up the most awesome pair of driving goggles. ^_^ I wanna get the right one fitted with a tinted lens so I can use them when I go driving.

wxdruid
2009-09-17, 11:22 PM
I've worn glasses since at least Junior High or High School. Most of my siblings wear glasses or contacts and my Mother does. My Father only started needing reading glasses as he got older. One of my sisters got the eye surgery. Catlover has already started wearing glasses, although she doesn't need them full time, just when she's concentrating on a computer screen or whiteboard.

I started out with large 80's glasses and have steadily decreased in size down to half wire frames and small lenses. I like them a lot better. Although new glasses always seem to be crooked on my face til they get broken in properly.

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-17, 11:35 PM
I used to wear glasses, but switched to contacts. Contacts are teh awesome, and cheaper than glasses at least per annum. I spent 46 dollars for a year's supply.

Starscream
2009-09-18, 12:36 AM
I don't wear glasses, but that's probably going to change in the fairly short future. I've noticed my eyesight getting lousier over the past year. It's not bad enough to be more than an annoyance so far, but I'm afraid if it gets much worse I'll need glasses for driving, even if just as a precaution.

It's expected, really. Both my parents wear them, so it was probably only a matter of time before I needed some.

Player_Zero
2009-09-18, 12:46 AM
I wear both glasses and contacts. At the same time so I can shoots lasers.

skywalker
2009-09-18, 12:57 AM
It's too late to teach myself how to make a facebook picture visible to everyone, so I cannot show off.

But I have been wearing glasses since about 2nd-3rd grade. I switched briefly to contacts in 4th, and then wore glasses again until 7th, when I wore contacts one day and a girl said "Your eyes are so pretty!" I have almost never worn glasses out since that day. While 10 years ago it may have been weird to stick something in my eye, these days I don't even notice it.

I had to wear glasses for a couple weeks over the summer while my eyes were recovering from an infection, and that was interesting.

My two best glasses related stories are, first, that I once got so upset and dehydrated after losing a lacrosse game that I managed to remove my contacts with my nasty, lacrosse-glovey hands on the bus-ride home, and had to call my dad and ask him to bring my glasses to school so I could drive home.

Secondly, when I did martial arts, a friend of mine broke 3 pairs of glasses. They were the same design, from the same store. He broke them with the same move, at the same point in a sparring match, at the same place in the dojo, at nearly the same time of day (always on a Saturday) and every time my glasses landed in about the same spot.

HellfireLover
2009-09-18, 01:38 AM
I've worn glasses since about age fourteen, when reading at distance got too difficult for me and started being a contributing factor to my regular migraines. I hate them with a passion, because a) I dislike having blurry peripheral vision, and b) I can't find a pair light enough to not leave huge, indented bruises on the skin of my nose. Seriously. My last pair were frameless, extra-thin lenses, and made of titanium, they cost an absolute packet, and they still leave me looking like I've been punched. So, daily disposable contacts ftw. No sexy secretary look for me. :smallfrown:

Ikialev
2009-09-18, 08:03 AM
I had to wear glasses until sixth grade. Now I wear false(not eyesight-correcting) glasses.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-18, 08:07 AM
Didn't used to wear glasses, but then my eyes randomly stopped being able to read stuff on the TV. Then I started wearing glasses and my eyes got even worse and now my prescription is stronger and it's annoying.
I'm nearsighted with astigmatism in my left eye.
You know the best thing about new glasses? "HOLY **** TREES HAVE LEAVES!" After getting my new glasses I walked into the park and spent like an hour just watching the light on the leaves of the trees.

Nameless
2009-09-18, 08:09 AM
I wear reading glasses, I try not to wear them in public though.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/tomshaer/203633.jpg

Don't like them, never have. :I

evisiron
2009-09-18, 08:15 AM
Just got new glasses after my last ones decided to fall apart on the morning of my graduation. Huzzah for half blind ceremonies!

CrimsonAngel
2009-09-18, 08:32 AM
I have glasses!!

UncleWolf
2009-09-18, 08:32 AM
I've worn glasses since kindergarten. I mess with the little dips along the side of my skull where they've imprinted their earpieces. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2009-09-18, 08:39 AM
Ravens Cry is a long time member of the Illustrious and Ancient Order of the Lensed Nose Sitters. I think I may need to get a new prescription soon; I am finding a need to squint even when wearing them.

Linkavitch
2009-09-18, 08:41 AM
I have glasses, but I will hopefully be switching to contacts soon.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-18, 09:00 AM
I have glasses which I rarely wear.

And I rarely get pictures of me taken.
So I had short hair back then.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o135/legolas-maxx/Photos/Fotos012-2.jpg

Megatron46
2009-09-18, 09:08 AM
Going to the toilet, glanced down, one of the lenses pinged out. I grabbed for it, missed but knocked it with a finger which directed it into the toilet. As I went "Oh ****", and prepared to fish it out, the other lense pinged out and shattered on the ceramic toilet bowl!

Agamid
2009-09-18, 09:18 AM
i have very bad short-sightedness. i have glasses but i hate them and mostly wear contacts, which i also hate but less than my glasses.
if i had the money and a 100% promise that there would be no nasty side effects in 20-30+ years down the line, i'd so get laser eye surgery.

I accidently washed my right contact lens down the sink friday night... sometimes they take a while to settle and so i didn't realise i'd blinked it out until i were to rotate it and poked myself in the eye, and by then i'd brushed my teeth and run a lot of water down the sink and the contact was nowhere to be found anymore. i swore very loudly and stopped my little piratey boot before cracking open a new packet of contacts.

Jack Squat
2009-09-18, 09:29 AM
I have contacts. I don't really need them, save to read (and another few activites). I've driven without glasses or contacts several times without noticing until I'm far enough away from my house to not go back.

This thread reminds me that I have to get a pair of glasses of mine fixed. Stupid fragile nose pieces.

Elder Tsofu
2009-09-18, 09:37 AM
You know the best thing about new glasses? "HOLY **** TREES HAVE LEAVES!" After getting my new glasses I walked into the park and spent like an hour just watching the light on the leaves of the trees.
So true, I usually do the same when I get new ones.

Jacklu
2009-09-18, 10:10 AM
heh... Like I said, my prescription is very light, but it is my dominate eye that is nearsighted, so my left eye kept going out of focus trying to match up with my right. When I got home from picking them up, I looked at the big ancient tree we have in our yard and just stared at the leaves for a while. :smallbiggrin: It's a little weird not seeing things a subtle mix of blurry and clear, but I guess I'll get used to it. =P

Gullara
2009-09-18, 01:23 PM
I have glasses and I'm the only one in my family who does. Don't you have when your playing dodgeball get hit in the face :smalltongue: and they get bent and just don't feel right for days?

Nomrom
2009-09-18, 01:52 PM
I've worn glasses since first grade, and I have to get new glasses pretty much every year. I actually haven't changed my prescription in two years now, and I can still see well, which gives me hope that my eyes will stop getting worse eventually. My vision is really, really bad. As in the only people I know with worse eyes than me are like 50+ years old. I've only met one other person my age with eyes as bad as mine. I think my prescription is like -5.5 or something like that.

Trog
2009-09-18, 02:01 PM
I've had em since I was 12. My dad realized I needed them when he was pointing out a funny license plate on the back of the car ahead of us and I said that I couldn't see what it said. Since then my eyesight has gotten worse and I can only read things (such as the forums) when it is six inches in front of my face without my glasses. So I pretty much wear them constantly. I've never had contacts. Never felt comfortable about sticking something in my eye.

Joran
2009-09-18, 02:34 PM
I adore girls in glasses AKA meganneko (Japanese term for girls in glasses). Which of course, in the cosmic universe's idea of a sense of humor, I married a girl with perfect vision.

I have a scar across my nose which is pretty well-hidden by my glasses and I think they give me that intellectual aura that I like to exude. If I need to think, I can always pull them off, wipe them off, giving me a couple of seconds to form my thoughts.

In more recent news, someone came up with cheap glasses for the Third World, where people may not have access to eye doctors. They're filled with fluid that the user can self adjust until they get the clarity that they want, without the need to see a doctor.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2009/01/09/PH2009010901533.jpg

For some reason, I've seen glasses that look like that but have no idea where.

adanedhel9
2009-09-18, 03:03 PM
My dad needs glasses just to survive; my mom needs them for reading and driving but can get along without them, and my sister is somewhere in between. Up till the age of twelve, I thought I was the odd one out - I never had any issues with blackboards, books, TV, signs, or anything else.

Then I get a single-eye test at a physical and fail miserably. Turns out while my left eye was far-sighted, my right was near-sighted. The doctor said that, without correction, this would cause (and probably had been causing) severe eye strain, potentially to the point of losing the use of one or both eyes. So I started wearing glasses immediately, even though I never needed them from a functional perspective.

Thirteen years later, my left eye is nearly perfect (just a few degrees of astigmatism), while my right isn't bad at all (1 1/8 step adjustment and a little astigmatism). In theory now I don't need glasses at all. But I've found that if I go without for more than a few hours I inevitably get a headache. So I keep wearing them.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-18, 03:09 PM
Also, I have no idea. But it's pretty possible that I''m screwing up my eyes by not wearing glasses.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-18, 03:38 PM
Yeah I need glasses to live. I wore contacts for years but I was continually losing them or forgetting to take them out.

The only annoying thing is if I go to get new glasses I either have to wear contacts or depend on someone else to help me pick them out. Yeah, I'm ruddy blind. My mom wears trifocals and I try and make her feel better by saying "Hey, at least your eyes will never be as bad as mine.":smalltongue:

Stupid brother and his perfect vision :smallannoyed:. He got the cool blue/gray eyes too. What do I get? Hazel. Ah well at least I have better teeth.

Eon
2009-09-18, 03:50 PM
in the 4 years i've worn them i've broken them about 6 times. most of it was my own stupidity. but one time it was because for the past 2 years i have had gym i accidently catch a basketball with my face. luckily i don't have it this year...

CurlyKitGirl
2009-09-18, 04:02 PM
I wear reading glasses, I try not to wear them in public though.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x203/tomshaer/203633.jpg

Don't like them, never have. :I

Nameless looks pretty! And androgynous which may be why I find him so pretty. And he looks good in glasses.

My mum wears glasses, dad wears glasses, both Little Brother and Littlest Brother wear glasses, Little Sister doesn't.
I do, and have since I was twelve.
I have severe astigmatism in my left eye and some other problem I can't really remember, but is probably short sightedness or something.
Basically, I need my glasses to read (and to drive), to see and while I can and nearly always wear glasses at home and at [educational facility] I almost never wear them outside.
I really should as I get pounding headaches and eyestrain otherwise. Plus I need them to, you know, see and read.

The annoying thing with my glasses is that they always leave an imprint in the skin running back to hook over my ears no matter what and it's practically permanent now.
But my glasses are definitely classed in what people would call the 'sexy librarian' look as they're ovaloid rectangular in shape and a nice dark blue colour.

SDF
2009-09-18, 07:36 PM
I have 20/15 vision, which is too bad because I look really good in glasses. :smallcool: I might actually consider getting frames with glass lenses just for the look. Most neat looking glasses frames cost about as much as a brand name pair of sunglasses anyhow.

Nano
2009-09-18, 08:23 PM
Best glasses pic I could find. Dark, though.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/Jack_Plexus/dweeb.jpg

KilltheToy
2009-09-18, 08:32 PM
I've had glasses for about a month now. They're great. The first time I put them on I marvelled at actually seeing the signs in the back of the Wal-Mart.

However, walking down stairs felt weird for a few weeks. That was fun.

Nameless
2009-09-18, 08:41 PM
Best glasses pic I could find. Dark, though.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/Jack_Plexus/dweeb.jpg

Nano, you have the worlds most awesome glasses.

Jacklu
2009-09-18, 08:45 PM
So... day one of glasses... everyone I know that I ran into today told me that I look very good with them.... and I had at least three of the female persuasion inform me that I looked more attractive with them on... O_o

Xanedan
2009-09-18, 09:51 PM
Wear glasses. Could get lasik for free, thanks to military surgeons trying to keep their civilian skills, but I honestly prefer wearing glasses.

The only real issue is never being able to remember where I left them in the morning and being too blind to locate them easily.

evil-frosty
2009-09-18, 09:59 PM
I hate my glasses i want contacts but my parents havent let me go to get them yet. But why i hate them, they have caused me some pain in the past.

1) I play volleyball and dont have special recspecs or anything like that, so i have ran into the net giving my self a nice cut underneath the ridge above my eye. I have had it jammed in my eye a few times too, but the cut was the most painful.

2) I got into a fight with someone who was bullying me the whole year and i finally had enough and punched him. So what does he do? Slaps my glasses giving me a harry potter like cut right in the lower middle of my forehead he also threw a piece of pizza at me.

Also they have just been a nuisance a lot of time since my are pretty beat up (frame and stuff) so the left lens falls out frequently. Also the little things that hold the glasses on your nose(dont know what they are called) are messed up so they are tilted making me look very weird. They are just annoying overall.

Green Bean
2009-09-18, 10:08 PM
My entire immediate family, and most of my extended family wears glasses. I'm the black sheep; had better than 20/20 my entire life...

...up until about six months ago, when my distance vision went down the toilet. Guess you can't fight genetics, eh?

Blaine.Bush
2009-09-18, 11:18 PM
I wear glasses and am really clumsy. Whenever I try to scratch my head or adjust my glasses or something, I usually accidentally knock them off. It's kind of embarrassing. :smallsigh:

Aystra
2009-09-19, 12:53 AM
I've been wearing glasses for 6 years. Once my school went on a week long trip and my glasses fell into the wall of the cabin. The night before, I had placed my glasses on the windowstill before I went to sleep and had accidently pushed them into the layer of insulation between the wall. We couldn't reach the glasses when my friends and I woke up so I basically had to go cross country skiing without any vision at all. It was hard.

banjo1985
2009-09-19, 05:16 AM
I've worn glasses my whole life, and I'm completely used to them really. I've been tempted to swap over to contacts several times, as my eyes aren't bad enough to make this impossible. The problem is that I really can't mess with my eyes at all, let alone shove transparent patches in. :smalleek:

Castaras
2009-09-19, 06:24 AM
Glasses, had them since I was six or seven.

I've had a few times where my glasses have caused extra injury to me that wouldn't have been so bad with contacts... but there is no way in hell I'm going for contacts. It just feels so ugh and the thought of putting transparent things on my eyes....uck! *shudder*

plus the fact the 2 people I know who have contacts looked so much prettier with glasses, so I'm sticking with what I'm comfortable with. :smallbiggrin:

Starshade
2009-09-19, 06:33 AM
I use glasses, and occationally contacts after getting 1 day lenses a month ago. Im happy with glasses, but training with glasses turned too difficult.

Most ordinary sports wouldnt be a issue, Ive trained Martial arts in the past too without issues with them, but now i decided to try capoeira, and then glasses really didnt fit, id need to train without anything on unless i did go and buy contacts, or train fearing my glasses would slip off and fly away when i tried doing an acrobatic move.
After training for 1 year without anything on, i was tired and just asked for contacts, i am near sighted on my left eye where i see best, longsighted on my right and asigmatic.

Banjo: it feels completely crazy first time, but you get used to it. After one week i whent from semi scared id do something stupid, to waking up thinking "yipee, i got contacts! " :D
I was quite a bit sceptical myself, but figured i needed to try it, or i'd continue with training without seeing totally what was going on.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-19, 07:23 AM
Glasses make my vision blurry and give me headaches.

Which is a shame, since I like the way I look with glasses on.

skywalker
2009-09-19, 12:36 PM
I've worn glasses since first grade, and I have to get new glasses pretty much every year. I actually haven't changed my prescription in two years now, and I can still see well, which gives me hope that my eyes will stop getting worse eventually. My vision is really, really bad. As in the only people I know with worse eyes than me are like 50+ years old. I've only met one other person my age with eyes as bad as mine. I think my prescription is like -5.5 or something like that.

Mine is worse. -6.0, has been -6.5 before.

Yeah.

Castaras
2009-09-19, 01:20 PM
No idea what my prescription is, but I can't see more than 10cm at most in front of my face without it going fuzzy.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-09-19, 05:34 PM
My right eye has a higher prescription than my left as of my last check up, earlier this year.

I've worn glasses aver since... I'm going to say Grade Three, when my marks went down inexplicably. Quite near sighted. It's gotten me into quite a few arguments as non-glasses-wearing people try to tell me "Near-sighted means you can only see things far away." Without 'em, my head looks a lot more square.

Nano
2009-09-19, 05:42 PM
Nano, you have the world's most awesome glasses.

Why... Yes. Yes I do. :smalltongue:

Edit: Wait, damn, wrong smiley. Here we go. :smallcool:

zeratul
2009-09-19, 10:27 PM
I have really bad vision, but I use contacts not glasses. That said, I do wear sunglasses pretty often. Damn sun, with it's evil blinding rays....

Nomrom
2009-09-19, 10:49 PM

Yeah.

Dude, that sucks. I'd congratulate you, but telling someone, "Hey man, congratulations, your eyes suck." seems wrong to me.

Jalor
2009-09-20, 10:04 AM
My vision is something like 20/400 without my glasses; I look at the white paper with black letters and see a gray blob that fades into the wall. The end result is thick, heavy glasses that have to have custom-made frames to fit my lenses.

Neither contacts nor laser surgery can give me 20/20, which is fine because l look better in glasses anyway. I have these bruise-colored spots below my eyes that make me look like I haven't slept in weeks, but my glasses hide them.

I'm also extremely attracted to girls in glasses, a fact that my friends are both confused and amused by.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-20, 11:06 AM

Yeah.

I once worked in an eyeglass place where the worst prescription I had ever seen was -14.5. She had to get them special-ordered because we couldn't make them. I mean mine is -5.0 and I have pretty cruddy vision so it leaves me wondering what legally blind is considered.
A friend's husband has -7.0 and is a little younger than me so yeah... could be worse.

Yora
2009-09-20, 11:11 AM
I think I really should have my eyes checked if I need some.
My old dad can see better with his glasses than I and I noticed the last months, that it would be nice to read with a less "tense stare".
Probably still only 0.3 or less. :smallbiggrin:

With people who know this stuff around: At what point it's a good idea to start getting glasses? I read a lot, so even glasses just for reading wouldn't be a waste of monney.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-09-20, 03:46 PM
I'm outrageously nearsighted, and my vision almost seems to get worse every year. One of these days, I expect my eyeballs to just roll right out of my skull. And when that time comes, I'm banking on these (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/feb/16/news.medicineandhealth).

Speaking of glasses, I was walking the halls of my university last weekend, and I came across a framed picture of the school chess club, circa 1972. And let me tell ya, if you were a nerd in the 70s, it looks like you got issued giant cokebottle frames at birth!

Hey, they actually have the picture on flikr!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/3102374643_a59decf7bc.jpg

...and the 1968 edition.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3196/3103187938_ec17eb0412.jpg

Lioness
2009-09-20, 05:09 PM
I have glasses. They're just reading glasses, but I wear them everywhere anyway. Mostly because if I don't I will forget to put them on, and then my eyes will hurt.

Jalor
2009-09-20, 05:42 PM
I mean mine is -5.0 and I have pretty cruddy vision so it leaves me wondering what legally blind is considered.
10% normal or worse. I am 5% normal without glasses, and I legally can't operate a vehicle if I'm not wearing them.

Aystra
2009-09-20, 06:43 PM
My left eye is about -6 and my right is about -3.

Yarram
2009-09-20, 07:13 PM
I wear glasses. I'm sadly short-sighted, which is both good and bad.
Good because I don't need glasses while reading in bed.
Bad because I need glasses while playing sport but can't use them.

I've considered contacts... But I really can't be bothered getting them.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-09-20, 07:39 PM
I wear glasses. I have for a looong time.

Mostly due to a lazy eye. Before I wore glasses, I would wear a patch over my good eye every day. Made my lazy eye better.

When I first started wearing glasses, I had to wear the large plastic framed ones, because we discovered that I am allergic to nickel. And most metal framed glasses had nickel. Makes me break out into weird green bumps wherever the metal made contact with my skin.

Luckily, I have discovered that the titanium ones are nickel free. And I must say, the metal ones look better than the plastic ones did.

TheThan
2009-09-21, 12:09 AM
I had 20/15 vision until I was 17, then things started going down hill from there.

This year I finally got a new pair, turns out I’ve developed a stigmatism, which means new glasses.

The upside? Everything is in Hi-def now.:smallcool:

I love those magnetic clip on glasses, instant transition from dark to light, and light to dark. Plus I don’t have to lug around a pair of sunglasses (just the clip ons). My first pair was the early “transitions” type and they were horrible. They took forever to change.

The Extinguisher
2009-09-21, 12:44 AM
I couldn't tell you what my vision is, but it's pretty bad.

I hate glasses though I just hate contact lenses more.

Faceist
2009-09-21, 01:06 AM
I'm also extremely attracted to girls in glasses, a fact that my friends are both confused and amused by.Your friends are weird.

I wear glasses, and have done since I was about five. Short sighted + astigmatism. My vision deteriorated steadily but said deterioration petered out when I was about 17, so I'm not too fussed. The only issue is my astigmatism requires me to use a special type of contact lense that's a little more expensive than the type my mother or sister use, so I usually just get daily disposables for nights out and wear my glasses day-to-day.

Pocketa
2009-09-21, 10:02 AM
I have'm, but my teachers all know I need them so they put me at the front of the class. I only use them for fanservice, I guess. And helping my mom read signs.

Coidzor
2009-09-21, 03:06 PM
Jacklu: Yeah, they probably help balance your face out a good bit.

I've been wearing glasses since I was aboot 6 years old, so, yeah.

I'm considering getting contacts but all of my friends that have contacts seem to have horrible things happen to them. Like forgetting to take them out and having the contact become stuck to their eye such that they required medical attention to get it out, or accidentally getting habanero pepper juice in their eye and being unable to remove the contact in order to rinse it properly for quite some time.

At least I don't know anyone who had the contact accidentally cut into their eyeball or anything. yerrgh.

Worst thing that's happened to me with glasses was that I got a bloody nose and my glasses bent to hell and needed to take 'em in to get readjusted when a friend that was being tickled decided to have a weird spasm leap off of the couch she was on and hit me in the face with her breasts.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-21, 03:42 PM
I have'm, but my teachers all know I need them so they put me at the front of the class. I only use them for fanservice, I guess. And helping my mom read signs.

You! *tacklehuggles*

Welcome back! ^_^

Jibar
2009-09-21, 03:48 PM

Yeah.

I once worked in an eyeglass place where the worst prescription I had ever seen was -14.5. She had to get them special-ordered because we couldn't make them. I mean mine is -5.0 and I have pretty cruddy vision so it leaves me wondering what legally blind is considered.
A friend's husband has -7.0 and is a little younger than me so yeah... could be worse.

:smallsigh:

Came in this thread hoping to find people with worse prescriptions.

-10/-10.5

Hi guys, all my eye care is provided free by the NHS and I get huge discounts on glasses because otherwise my fees would be astronomical.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-21, 03:50 PM

-10/-10.5

Hi guys, all my eye care is provided free by the NHS and I get huge discounts on glasses because otherwise my fees would be astronomical.

=\

On the plus side, your glasses add to you being one of the cutest guys I know?

TheBibliophile
2009-09-22, 01:27 PM
My father, mother, both grandfathers, both grandmothers, both uncles, one of my aunts, one of my cousins and my younger brother all wear glasses. I don't, but it's only a matter of time...

Etcetera
2009-09-22, 01:33 PM
I wore glasses, my immediate family wear glasses, and my relatives on my fathers side have a long history of bad eyesight(he has to wear glasses just to make things look blurry). I'm wearing contact lenses atm, but that's more because I kept losing my glasses. Glasses don't have a very good survival rate when I'm wearing them though.

Gamerlord
2009-09-22, 01:35 PM
I have glasses! I get comments everywhere I go about how nice they look.

Ichneumon
2009-09-22, 01:35 PM
My left eye has something like 0.5 and the other 1.5. Don't exactly know what it means though.

Jibar
2009-09-23, 02:22 PM
=\

On the plus side, your glasses add to you being one of the cutest guys I know?

Ya know what, that's sweet.
You get a picture of me.

Timberwolf
2009-09-23, 05:02 PM
I'm a keratoconic (http://www.uic.edu/com/eye/LearningAboutVision/EyeFacts/Images/Keratoconus.jpg). Glasses are a waste of time for me. Haven't owned a pair in 10 years or so. My vision is actually better without and it sucks really badly.

I wear hard contact lenses because they hold back the development of the cone and they're a pain. I'm starting to enter the final stages of this, I've cracked my corneas twice (called a hydropse) and burst a load of membranes which meant that tears got into my eye. Agony is not the word. I couldn't look up, light hurt me so much. It took a month to recover. Both my eyes are a mass of corneal scar tissue which isn't helping as it's thin (my corneas are about a 3rd as thick as normal) and brittle, which means it's easy to snap. Corneal grafts will be mine when this lot finally breaks.

Alarra
2009-09-24, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure what the cutoff is to be considered legally blind, but I used to be. My eyes were -10, -10.5 *hugs Jibar* yay, matching prescriptions! :smallwink: Which I believe on the other scale was somewhere in the range of 20/1400.

I got glasses when I was 5 years old because I had had a terribly high fever that apparently burned the back of my eyes. When I was 10, I had to get contact lenses to slow the deterioration of my eyes, because they feared otherwise that I would go completely blind. I hated them and my mom would have to put them in every morning because I couldn't do it myself. Well, for the first year or so, I eventually got used to them.

When I was 17, I had lasik, which 'amazingly' got my eyes to 20/20. With as bad as my eyes were they weren't expecting to get even near there and were sure that I would have to wear glasses afterwards. It was about....9 years later that my eyes ended up worsening to the point where I wear glasses again. I could go and get it retouched up but I love the way I look in glasses, and since they're no longer coke-bottles and I'm capable of functioning without them (just get a headache and can't see anything really far away, probably shouldn't drive though)...I'm happy to wear the glasses I have now.

As far as glasses on other people....love them. Whenever I'm asked what attracts me to a guy, glasses is always at the top of my list.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-24, 03:09 AM
As far as glasses on other people....love them. Whenever I'm asked what attracts me to a guy, glasses is always at the top of my list.*scratches 'get contacts' off the to-do list for Zeb*

I've been wearing glasses as long as I can remember. Mom says I was 4 when I got my first pair, and they were bifocals. At the time I was horribly farsighted. The story goes that my folks knew I needed glasses when they would ask me to go get them something from across the room, but when I got to where the object to be retrieved was supposed to have been, I couldn't see it. Sometimes large objects, like laundry baskets. As I got older, my eyes actually got better and from age 10 to age 11 I didn't even need corrective lenses. But they kept going. I'm now settled into a mildly nearsighted prescription. And I hate them.

I mean, I think I look pretty good in the ones I have, but I hate needing them at all. I hate that I can't just throw on a pair of sunglasses and go outside and still be able to see. I either need expensive prescription sunglasses too (which I invariably can't keep track of) or I need some silly clip-ons (which I also lose periodically) or, worse, I need to have those goofy face-shield eye-visor things that you wear over your regular glasses. :smallyuk: Not to mention that, since I'm heavier than I'd like, I have these ugly lines on the side of my head where the frames press in on my head just below my temples.

Though, honestly, I've tried contact lenses too, and I hate them even worse. I'm not the kind of person that wants to have to worry about falling asleep in them or taking them out and caring for them, et cetera. Last time I had some, I got the kind that says you can sleep in them, so I did. For like two weeks at a time. Apparently that's not what they meant and I was risking pulling my cornea off when I finally did take them out.

That leaves something like lasik being a viable alternative, if it weren't for the fact that it's so darned expensive. The advertised rate around these parts is something like $1000 per eye, and that's with a $500 per eye discount they're doing right now for their 20th anniversary of being in business. :smallsigh:

I suppose I could try some of those photogray's, or whatever they're calling them these days. But I had some of those when I was a kid and, once they went dark, they never really went clear again. They got less dark, but still not light enough to be very useful indoors. Okay, so that was around 1985, but still. Do they work well now? Are they expensive?

Temet Nosce
2009-09-24, 03:18 AM
Zany stories? Well, I was out on a cape during a wind storm (roughly 100+ MPH), and was clinging to a bench inside a waist high stone structure while staring over it down a several hundred foot cliff (beautiful view). After around ten minutes I saw someone coming towards me... turned out it was a cop, roughly seven feet tall and over 300 lbs easy. He had his teeth gritted and his muscles taught trying to get to me, took him like ten minutes to walk 100 ft all to tell me I had to leave because it was so dangerous (which to be fair it was, my car had been moved by the wind while I was gone). Anyways, I let him continue on to find other nutjobs like me, laughed a bit and headed back, but my glasses got lost somewhere in all of that... Of course, the storm was so bad I didn't notice till I was back in the car. Thankfully my friends were with me (though they weren't crazy enough to accompany me out to the cliff), so I didn't have to drive without glasses.

Jalor
2009-09-24, 04:50 AM
*I suppose I could try some of those photogray's, or whatever they're calling them these days. But I had some of those when I was a kid and, once they went dark, they never really went clear again. They got less dark, but still not light enough to be very useful indoors. Okay, so that was around 1985, but still. Do they work well now? Are they expensive?
They only cost a little more, and they're worth it. I don't have to shield my eyes from the smallest bit of sunlight, or carry a pair of prescription sunglasses around.

Destro_Yersul
2009-09-24, 05:37 AM
I carry a pair of clip on sunglasses around. Mostly because it was an incredibly cheap alternative to anything else. Plus, it's not a hassle to put them on. Very easy to clip them to the frames and then forget they're there.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-24, 12:48 PM
I carry a pair of clip on sunglasses around. Mostly because it was an incredibly cheap alternative to anything else. Plus, it's not a hassle to put them on. Very easy to clip them to the frames and then forget they're there.That's what I do now, but like I said, when I actually want to wear them, I find that as often as not they're in the other car, still at home, in my other jacket, somewhere other than with me when I want them.

Nomrom
2009-09-24, 03:16 PM

-10/-10.5

Wow, I didn't realize eyes could be that bad. Can you see anything without your glasses?

Also, I just don't wear sunglasses ever. I've gotten used to it and the sun doesn't really bother me. However, I need new glasses and some place near me is offering a deal, buy one pair of glasses get a pair of prescription sunglasses free. So, I might do that just to try it.

artistInTheCode
2009-09-24, 03:30 PM
I've been wearing corrective lenses since I can remember. When I was younger I tried the sport glasses things and those didn't work so I eventually switched to contacts when I was like 8. Wore those up through high school until I switched back to glasses in college. For the most part as long as I'm not participating in sports, glasses do the trick for me just fine.

My eyes have gotten worse over time. Right now, in my early twenties, everything begins to get blurry about a foot from my eyes. I get really used to things just being big blobs of color with my glasses off. I guess that's why it's easy to play WoW with my character drunk because I'm used to staring at the blurry world.

Jibar
2009-09-25, 04:08 AM
Wow, I didn't realize eyes could be that bad. Can you see anything without your glasses?

I can see clearly at only 2 inches in front of my face, which gives me double vision anyway so I have to close one eye to make it work.
Otherwise all I see is coloured blurs. I can't make out anything specific and some colours override others so I can't see say... skin when it's near clothes, or read any signs because all I saw is the background colour. I've learnt to identify different things though so I can like walk around and recognise some people without my glasses on.
Rainbows are very pretty without my glasses on, as are abstractionist art.

Coidzor
2009-09-25, 04:20 AM
So I'm a -5.75, -6.50 Forget which is which. And then my astigmatism in both eyes is about -1, -2 and the angles are 179 and 180.

Behold the face of horror! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Coidzor/Self/John0010.jpg

They've got the glare reduction stuff from lenscrafters as well as being featherweights and they still have to file down the edges so that they don't look and feel bulky.

potatocubed
2009-09-25, 06:49 AM
On the subject of photochromic lenses (the ones that darken when in bright light): they're top. I love mine, although it does take them ~5 minutes to become fully clear again when I enter a darker space.

Also, something I didn't know before I got them, they darken in response to ultraviolet light, not ambient brightness. So blacklights make them darken, but sitting inside a car or train or building does not (because the UV is mostly blocked by the windows? I don't know). So if you need shades for driving, probably best to get a prescription pair and leave them in your car.

My shortsightedness isn't so bad (-2? Something like that) but a friend of mine has something similar to Jibar. She's pretty helpless without her glasses.

Also also, anyone else own the Kate Beaton t-shirt that says 'glasses makes you sexy'? :smallcool: