PDA

View Full Version : Two Campaign Ideas, thoughts?

OrangeQuarter
2009-09-18, 01:50 AM
Well, I'm trying to figure out what type of campaign to run for me and my fellow first timers, I've got several ideas for what the start out with, and no idea which to choose. So, without further Adiue:

Colonization:
Still rather unformed, I was considering the idea of having the PC's being 'Space Colonists' in a huge group of survivors from their homeworld that fled from an apocalypse with magic and steam technology. The campaign would likely focus on either exploration of the new planets never-before-seen sights, and the building of a proper colonial government. Could be fun...

Vengeance:
The second campaign takes place in a highly anti-magic community; that is, all across the world, magic of all kinds (even divine) has been outlawed. The territory, aside from pockets of civilization (like a large nile-like slavebased Kingdom build not in a river valley, but a river canyon) is largely wild, as the world is dominated by only recently receeding glaciers brought on by a world-wide magic based apocalypse of god-killing proportions. In fact, all the gods are dead, aside from the recently reawakened God of Magic, who is determined to 'correct' the situation by removing the divine spark and magical potential from every single sentient being.

Prolouge:
The final option is a prolouge to the Vengeance campaign, allowing the players to learn how to play (and roleplay) before they get into a slightly higher intensity campaign. Basically, their small group of first level adventurers would just be trying to survive while the entire world fell appart around them.

Thoughts? Concerns?
(Also, what are some good sites for me to have bookmarked, as a DM?)

Temet Nosce
2009-09-18, 02:00 AM
The first one made me go, meh. The second however, while arguably perhaps even more cliche than the first sounds like something I'd enjoy personally. I think you could run it as a party divided campaign, with the opposition to the god of magic uniting them (some of the party want magic restored, some not, but all oppose the god of magic).

That said, with a little improvement I think they'd work best together. Make it a heavy political campaign where their ancestors fled to another world from the apocalypse brought on by magic and everyone hates it. Have the campaign focus on them discovering that the apocalypse was actually brought about by some outside force, and trying to revolutionize society so they can begin building up to repel what destroyed their ancestors.

OrangeQuarter
2009-09-18, 02:30 AM
Hmm. Would the motivation be returning magic to the world, then? Proving it's innocence? On that note, how would the magic users exist, if the society came over on Ships? Wouldn't there be more than enough time in the journey to eliminated the magicusers among the ships?

Temet Nosce
2009-09-18, 02:39 AM
Hmm. Would the motivation be returning magic to the world, then? Proving it's innocence? On that note, how would the magic users exist, if the society came over on Ships? Wouldn't there be more than enough time in the journey to eliminated the magicusers among the ships?

To be honest I was just saying what came to mind, I pictured a campaign where the players had to both revolutionize technology/magic and deal with religion/politics/tradition before they could even begin to confront the external threat which caused it. The motivation I assume would be to face the cause of it all, but they've have to overcome severe cultural handicaps first.

As for how they would continue to exist... They could have hidden among the non magic users on the ships or so I assume (or in the case of prepared magic users, they could of course have preserved the knowledge in secret).

Oh and I didn't notice your site request earlier. You should consider the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm), and this (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/index.php). The ability to search for spells on the second site in particular is incredible.