PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Fey Lords

LordRahl
2009-09-18, 03:25 AM
Hey GitP,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought of something that I would like your expertise and advice on for my Faerun campaign. I'm making a couple of semi-custom monsters to set up as Fey lords and drawing inspiration for them from other Fey type monsters. So far I have one of them being good aligned and having abilities similar to a Nymph (Summer court). One being neutral and having similar abilities to the Master of the Hunt (from MM 5) and one being evil and similar to the Frostwind Virago (Winter Court). I was wondering if you guys might know of other Fey monsters that might be good to draw from. I'm thinking the Master of the Hunt might be good for Fall or maybe not tied to any particular court but roaming through all of them. No ideas so far for Spring or Fall (other then Master of the Hunt for Fall). Any help would be much appreciated.

Heliomance
2009-09-18, 03:56 AM
If you're going with the Fey from Celtic mythos, then you don't want a good aligned one. The closest you get to good is "this amuses me. Let's help these people out for our own unknowable reasons, while completely messing with their heads." The Winter court are downright evil, the Summer court are capricious, unpredictable and dangerous, and all Fey have a mindset that is completely alien to mortals.

LordRahl
2009-09-18, 05:03 AM
If you're going with the Fey from Celtic mythos, then you don't want a good aligned one. The closest you get to good is "this amuses me. Let's help these people out for our own unknowable reasons, while completely messing with their heads." The Winter court are downright evil, the Summer court are capricious, unpredictable and dangerous, and all Fey have a mindset that is completely alien to mortals.

This is good, the main reason I had one be good aligned was because it was dealing with the party temporarily. But it works just as well to let the party think that she's good while she needs a favor from them, then have her change when she no longer needs them. I'm still looking for ideas on powerful Fey monsters to draw ideas from for abilities.

paddyfool
2009-09-18, 05:51 AM
Yes... although CN-acting-CG ("plays nice-in-order-to-manipulate"), versus CN ("plays wild") vs CE ("plays cruel") would work well for different possible factions of fey pretty well.

AslanCross
2009-09-18, 07:03 AM
I believe MM4 has an evil fey called a Verdant Prince, which could do for your Spring court.

Darcand
2009-09-18, 09:08 AM
I designed (but never got to use) an Ogre Mage as the King of Wild Storms, a sort of Fey Court. The first time the PCs would have encountered him would have been at the Darkwood Moot, meeting the other Lords of the the Darkwood a Green Dragon and a Coven of Hags. The whole meeting had a traditional Fey feel, with Goblin pipers, Ogres dancing around a bonfire, enslaved elves serving jeweled goblets of wine. And a bugbear ranger meant to become obsessed with eating one of the PCs.

Keep in mind that alot of "mundane" monsters in D&D have their roots in the same stories as "fey"

bosssmiley
2009-09-18, 10:14 AM
This is what the Eladrin were intended as before 3E derailed them into being 'CG angels', and 4E nerfed them into 'blinky elf' irrelevance. Planescape did the heavy lifting for you already, including unique (Un)Seelie Courtiers.

Cieyrin
2009-09-21, 09:45 AM
If you want something a bit different than Master of the Hunt for autumn, you could possibly substitute in an advanced Rage Walker (MM3, p. 132) could definitely be appropriate.

If you're feeling particularly lazy, I have stats for a CR 25 Frostwind Virago that I designed for a one shot that could serve as the queen of your Winter Court. Let me know and I'll get it to ya.

Kizara
2009-09-21, 10:43 AM
The Verdent Prince is basically exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately I don't recall what MM he was from.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-21, 10:54 AM
Take a look at Goodman Games' Complete Guide to Fey. They have the courts drawn out for you, complete with custom fey.

♠Spade♠
2009-09-21, 12:59 PM
I must admit to some confusion; last time I checked, there were only the summer and winter courts: Seelie and Unseelie. I don't understand why you would need more courts or what role they would play. Maybe I'm missing something, so could you please explain your reasoning to me?

Heliomance
2009-09-21, 03:38 PM
Depends on your mythos. Faerie lore varies immensly.

LordRahl
2009-09-22, 03:47 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll take a look at the Complete Guide to Fey, sounds interesting if nothing else. The reason I was looking for good choices for Summer and Autumn is because I wanted more then two court lords for the PC's to interact with. Verdant Prince seems pretty good, just gotta power him up a bit, which shouldn't be too hard. The Rage Walker doesn't fit my idea for lord of Autumn as well as The Master of the Hunt but would seem to be very good for a fey general of some sort. I appreciate the offer, Cieyrin, but I'd prefer to make the Queen of Winter myself. Thanks again.