PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Extra attacks with Flick of the Wrist

LordRahl
2009-09-18, 03:28 AM
Hey guys,

I thought I read or heard of a feat or ability that increased the amount of attacks you could get with Flick of the Wrist. But now I can't find anything like that. Was wondering if you guys might know something about it or if it existed in the first place. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-18, 04:15 AM
Well... if could be useful to you, we could get around this.

1) I mean: there is a skill trick (complete scoundrel)that works like the feat FotW. I guess if they can be combined..
2) There is another skill trick that allows you to tumble to SA in the following round
3) You can improve your initiative through feats and equip to a +11, and continue to attack a flatfooted target.
4) Ther is an ambush feat (CS) allowing to lower the SA for a blow and be able to SA in the subsequent round.
5) mercurial strike (dragon magazine) is a sort of FotW as immmediate action.

1) can be MAYBE combined with FoTW. The other allow you to SA in several rounds.

More, take a look in the Iaijutsu focus skill in Oriental Adventures: it allows to add several D6 (stacking with SA) against a flat footed target if you strike him after drawing a weapon. In the book there is a PrC (iaijutsu master) that is not so powerful but allows to add your Cha modifier to each strike. I don't know your character, maybe can be useful.

Combine this and you could deliver some nasty surprise atatck.

LordRahl
2009-09-18, 04:58 AM
Well... if could be useful to you, we could get around this.

1) I mean: there is a skill trick (complete scoundrel)that works like the feat FotW. I guess if they can be combined..
2) There is another skill trick that allows you to tumble to SA in the following round
3) You can improve your initiative through feats and equip to a +11, and continue to attack a flatfooted target.
4) Ther is an ambush feat (CS) allowing to lower the SA for a blow and be able to SA in the subsequent round.
5) mercurial strike (dragon magazine) is a sort of FotW as immmediate action.

1) can be MAYBE combined with FoTW. The other allow you to SA in several rounds.

More, take a look in the Iaijutsu focus skill in Oriental Adventures: it allows to add several D6 (stacking with SA) against a flat footed target if you strike him after drawing a weapon. In the book there is a PrC (iaijutsu master) that is not so powerful but allows to add your Cha modifier to each strike. I don't know your character, maybe can be useful.

Combine this and you could deliver some nasty surprise atatck.

I like the Iaijutsu Focus skill and that class quite a bit for the character concept. Only problem being that I'd prefer the character to use a knife. Do you think it would be too much to ask a DM to allow that class and skill except instead of a Katana use a dagger or some such?

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-18, 05:03 AM
I like the Iaijutsu Focus skill and that class quite a bit for the character concept. Only problem being that I'd prefer the character to use a knife. Do you think it would be too much to ask a DM to allow that class and skill except instead of a Katana use a dagger or some such?

Iaijutsu master can unse weapon finesse with Katana (bastard sword) but I don't see restriction about the weapons you can use with class features, barring in some setting your honour (as an example, crab samurai beat oni and tsuno with maces, but when dueling another samurai should use katanas).

But that's fluff based, unless I miss something.

LordRahl
2009-09-18, 05:07 AM
Iaijutsu master can unse weapon finesse with Katana (bastard sword) but I don't see restriction about the weapons you can use with class features, barring in some setting your honour (as an example, crab samurai beat oni and tsuno with maces, but when dueling another samurai should use katanas).

But that's fluff based, unless I miss something.

The "One Strike, Two Cuts" and "Strike with No Thought" abilities say that you must be using a Katana. Given the main idea of the class seems to be striking very fast I'm not sure why you couldn't re-word it to let you use any Weapon Finesseable weapon but a DM might see it as unbalanced. Of course I could just ignore those and only take it to level 5 for "Strike from the Void" since the Iaijutsu Focus skill and that ability don't require one to use any particular weapon.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-18, 05:34 AM
Exactly. Optimization wise, IM is 5 levels (even if we played with a 10 level + epicl level WE one - fun).

Person_Man
2009-09-18, 10:05 AM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633) is all about Skill Tricks. Here's the relevant section:

Iaijutsu Focus (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/3.5_L5R_Skills) is a Skill from Oriental Adventures. (By RAW, 3.0 is grandfathered into 3.5, and the Factotum has all Skills as class Skills). Whenever you are making an attack roll immediately after drawing a weapon and your target is flat footed (not just denied their Dex bonus – they specifically have to be flat footed), you may make an Iaijutsu Focus check as a free action. You gain up to 9d6 bonus damage to your attack, based on your check. You’re can carry a ton of weapons and use Quickdraw, so drawing a new one each time you attack isn’t a problem. And it goes without saying that Skills are quite easy to boost via feats, items, dips into Marshal or Exemplar, Item Familiars, and spells.

In addition, it’s a free action to sheath the Gnome Quickrazor (Races of Stone) at the end of the turn, so that’s two weapons (one for each wrist) you don’t have to drop. Or you can use the Collapsing Crescent Fan (Sandstorm), which gives you +4 to attack any flat-footed foe.

In addition to winning Initiative, the Acrobatic Backstab, Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw, and Escape Attack Skill Tricks all specifically make your enemy flat footed for one attack with various restrictions. Complete Warrior also has an alternate use of Sleight of Hand which lets you draw a dagger as a free action and treat your enemy as Flat Footed for your next attack after 2 rounds of fighting the same enemy with no weapon in off hand.

Instead of tricks, you could take Underfoot Combat and Confound the Bigfolk (Races of the Wild) and use magic or psionics to get yourself to be as small as possible. You can then enter your enemy's square, and the next turn they count as being Flat Footed.

So while you probably won’t be dealing as much damage as a dedicated Power Attack or Sneak Attack build, it’s nice to know that you’ll have a reliable source of bonus damage. It’s also worthwhile to note that it doesn’t have Precision damage restrictions, so you can use it against undead, constructs, etc.