PDA

View Full Version : [4.0]The Cursed City of Cuildport [IC]

Cilvyn
2009-09-18, 08:28 AM
[Western Marketplace in Guildport (C7/8) . Noon]

It's noon. The sun shines shy through the thick but white layer of clouds, birds sing in the few trees around the market place. A chilly wind blows through your hair flutters your cloths. It has been a while since you felt the warm sun on your skin and saw a bright sky without clouds.

When you enter the western market place there are many people walking around between the stands. Poor looking farmers praise their wares, tailorers show their finest cloth. Little children run around chasing eachother and laughing. A bent old lady passes by and askes for a copperpiece.

On the other side of the marketplace you see the temple of St. Cuthbert. It is an old looking round church. The entrence is adjacent to the marketplace. Two guardsmen stand at each side of the big dark wooden door. They are dressed in chainmail with red tunics with the sighn of St. Cuthbert on their chest.

When you stand there waiting you see other people who do not look like normal civilians stand a few meters away. They also seem to be waiting for somthing. You suspect they have come to the market place for the same reason you did.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-09-18, 09:51 AM
Donan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=151454), werewolf scout

Donan looks up at the cloudless sky, and wonders where the sun was all of last week, mostly spent darting from tree to tree under a cold rain. Rubbing his face, he steps forward, noticing by the squelching sound that the boots have yet to completely dry.

As he moves towards the guards, he scratches his three day beard, and attempts to comb down his hair with his dirt-caked fingers, wondering if he should've stopped by the house to clean up. The summons had not come from father Stanbert, his superior and supervisor of the scouts, and so this could be dangerous. On the other hand, he had only received note of the summons a half-hour ago, sheer luck in passing by the sentries on his way to the south forest, and only a mad dash through the city had allowed him to arrive in time. Being late - he hoped - would've been worse than being dirty.

Donan recognises the two guards, and bows respectfully at both before asking, "Hey, brother Ianise, any idea of what in Cuthbert's name is going on?"

Cilvyn
2009-09-18, 02:54 PM
One of the guards looks at Donan as he steps towards him. As response on the question of Donan he points at the people at the market place.

Hail, Donan. Nothing special. I'm on duty as usual. You know, the Abbot doubled the guard on the market days. Nothing to worrie about realy. I don't think herretics would do anything stupid wich al people gathered here on the market place.

His eyes are now focussed on a man standing in the middle of the place, in an open square surrounded by stands. He looks like an important person, and he seems to be waiting for somthing.

But that man, what is he doing. Do you know him Donan?

Others: You see one person (Donan) talking with the guard, which is unusual for a normal civilian.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-09-18, 03:54 PM
His eyes are now focussed on a man standing in the middle of the place, in an open square surrounded by stands. He looks like an important person, and he seems to be waiting for somthing.

But that man, what is he doing. Do you know him Donan?

Donan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=151454), werewolf scout

Donan turns around and takes a good look at the man, his penetrating eyes reading him as well as they can in the busy marketplace.

"You know me, brother, I am not often in the city," he mentions off-handedly as he examines the man

[roll0] to get a good look at him
[roll1] to see what Donan can deduce
[roll2] in case luck is with me and Donan has seen him before

A'den
2009-09-18, 04:13 PM
Kane Bloodburner (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153917) - Northman Barbarian

Kane hardly noticed the chill breeze rippling through the coat he had purchased a few hours ago (-10SP Mundane Clothing) a day like today with the sun a pale ball against the thick clouds would of been considered a warm spring day in the North, warm enough for a quick dip in a thawed river. Kane crushed the thought of his homeland, bitterness was too strong still to think about it, he moved through the crowded market space in a small bubble of space. It wasn't that he forced anyone too but people seemed to sense his mood one look and they'd dart off the away from him or look at the ground and rush by him. He didn't try to scare these people but they seemed scared of him simply being who he was. (Intimidate take 10(+10)).

A knurled old woman bent from age passed in front of him her eyes so squinted from age Kane was surprised she could see at all. He pressed a few silver pieces (-4 SP) into her outstretched palm without a thought, it tore him up that the old bat didn't have somewhere to prop her feet up at the end of the day. He was familiar with the feeling though, years on the run in the North when Ulrik had taken power had made him familiar with hunger and sleeping in a muddy ditch more often that not. Kane frowned not at the old woman but at the memories. He walked on, the red long coat catching the wind and flowing out behind him for a moment like a noble's cape. It revealed a thickly muscled man wearing dark armor that was scratched and worn a few old slashes had obviously been made with a sword or axe.

A man extolling to a crowd in the center of the market square caught his attention for a moment, pushing his darkly tinted classes up the bridge of his nose he tried to get a good look at him but the crowd blocked him as much as the din of the crowd droned out his words. The glasses and red coat with a cheap hair cut had been one of the few attempts to change his appearance a bit.

The trip to Guildport had been an unintended one for him. As one of the leaders of a small Norther resistance against an established tyranny there Kane had fought to free his people. Unsuccessfully. The last pitched battle on the Cliffs Coast had cost him everyone he had known in the last few years and left him barely alive to be rescued by merchants sailing south. Ulrik not finding his body washed up on a beach would of probably put a price on his head, or at least his dead body the man was relentless.

After being hauled aboard Kane had briefly made an aquiatance of a woman on the vessel named Eirian. He hadn't much time to learn much about her past but she had discussed at length some theories about magic and revealed her background as a Wizard. Kane wasn't sure what to make of her she had been prim rather reminded him of the old woman who taught him his letters but she was the closest thing he had to a friend in this city. They had split apart after the ship each with their own business but Kane hoped to bump into her on the streets sometime soon.

Kane pulled his thoughts out of the past again looking up to see a man conversing good naturally with one of the Temple (he didn't know the name of whatever god the people worshipped here, nor cared to find out) Guards. That was a bit odd since he had seen most of the townspeople walk small around the shiny metal boy-soldiers. Contempt flashed through his thoughts any soldier who spent his career standing in one spot all day probably didn't know which end of the spear to stick in a boar.

Kane drifted through the crowd to a point wear he could listen. He didn't bother to hide, with his red coat, and claymore [Fullblade] strapped to his back he stuck out of the crowd like a pumpkin in the tomato patch. He merely let himself appear to be more interested in what was going on toward the center of the market while standing near the Temple Guards and the odd disheveled man.

Perception:[roll0]to see what A'den can hear

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-18, 11:42 PM
Eirian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=151019), Wizard

After leaving her horse Ravenstar in the stables at the tavern (-15sp for room and stable services) Eirian went to the marketplace as she saw a lot of people gathering there.

Eirian hangs back trying to blend in with the people gathered there and scans the crowd for Kane, as he mentioned something about going there when they disembarked. Keeping silent, but her ears open, she tries to pick up what is going on from what other people are speaking and if it has anything to do with the rumours she has heard about Guildport.

Perception, to find Kane [roll0]
Insight [roll1]
History [roll2]

Silver Coin
2009-09-20, 01:03 AM
Aurelia Aestari (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=151388), Human Sorceress

Aurelia watched from the edge of the crowd. She had heard rumours, whisperings that this might happen. Scanning the crowd, she attempted to spot the leaders.

Her eyes lit up when she spotted Eirian. Clearly an arcane practitioner, judging by the emanations from the orb hidden in her backpack. And by the looks of her, probably quite a good one. Perhaps she would finally have someone to talk to later.

A quick glance also meant that hulking form of a Northman was also clearly visible. he was clearly new in town, since Guildport didn't have that big a population. This might prove interesting.

Cilvyn
2009-09-21, 01:42 PM
You see the people walk and discuss with sellers and vendors, it is like a normal market day, though you feel therer is somthing comming, somthing is hanging in the air, and it doesn't feel good.

One man in the crowd dressed in remarkable cloths, it looks a bit like a magican, looks you directly in your eyes and hints you to come near him.

>Donan: you see the strange man, which the guard spotted, looking questionly looking at you. you thing the man want's to ask you sonthing, but not to close to the churche it seems.

Well Donan it seems that man requires your aid, go talk to him, i shouldn't leave this spot, you know.. orders...

The clouds turn darker and darker, it's looking like it's going to rain. no thinderstorm just a downpour as usualy happen's the last weeks. only the last time more frequently. Poeple close their deals, vendors start to wrap up their wares to go home. The man in the middle of the market place remains on his spot waiting for you.

A'den
2009-09-21, 03:00 PM
Kane Bloodburner (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153917) - Northman Barbarian

Curiosity won over Kane's caution he stood straight from he had been leaning against listening to the guards and scout converse, nothing of importance it seemed but any information was better than none. He felt like somone was watching him it made the spot between his shoulder blades itch.

He scanned the crowd and caught the sight of Erian she had a tendency to stick in out in crowd with honey colored skin and dark hair with hazel eyes, all the women north were pale and the folk around here seemed to fall somewhere in between. Looking up Kane's eyes met with that of an oddly dressed man, he couldn't tell if the man was someone's jester or something more but for some reason he wanted to talk to the man.

Kane strolled through the dispersing crowd, he did not mind in the rain it broke up your scent when hunting dogs were hounding you, over to the spot Eirian was standing in the crowd, he took of his shades and cleared the water from them before putting them back on.

"Hello Eirian." The hackles on the back of his neck stood up, he could still feel that man staring at him.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-09-21, 03:55 PM
Well Donan it seems that man requires your aid, go talk to him, i shouldn't leave this spot, you know.. orders...

The clouds turn darker and darker, it's looking like it's going to rain. no thinderstorm just a downpour as usualy happen's the last weeks. only the last time more frequently. Poeple close their deals, vendors start to wrap up their wares to go home. The man in the middle of the market place remains on his spot waiting for you.

Donan stretches brother Ianise's hand and says, "I understand perfectly. I'll check it out. See you around!"

Stepping down the church stairs, Donan looks up at the sky and notes the coming rain. "I knew the sun was too good to last," he mutters as he makes his way through the people towards the watching man. He has little difficulty, most people moving out of his way automatically, since Donan doesn't so much smell as reek, and his clothes are so caked in dirt and mud it would be quite impossible to tell what their original colour was.

Reaching the man, Donan rests on his hiking staff and stares straight at the strange man. "Sir, are you the one that sent a message saying I was to meet you here?" Donan asks politely, but with a firm voice. As the sun is about to hide behind the quick clouds, his pendant of St. Cuthbert catches the sunlight one last time. Interestingly, it is spotless, and shines brightly in the dimming light.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-21, 06:08 PM
Eirian pulls her hood over her head as the rain started to fall.

"Well met, Kane. Have you managed to glean any information about the situation? By my art, I can tell that that man over there is versed in Arcane lore, though more than that I cannot say. I think we should speak with him."

A'den
2009-09-22, 03:30 AM
Kane nodded to her answer. He felt like he was forgetting something, oh thats right southern people had titles.

"I feel the same way, Miss Eirian, like hes fling' mud at my back when I ain't lookin' at him." Kane accent thinckened as he became more aware of his surroundings.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-22, 03:51 AM
Putting aside the fact that Kane had obtusely ignored her question, Eirian looked again at the unknown man and noticed he was in conversation with what appeared to be some sort of initiate of St Cuthbert.

"Perhaps we would be better served by simply listening, I think that man is from the town and he may something of note that he would not tell to outsiders."

OOC: Some how my roll for the perception check stuffed up in an edit. I'll make it in the OOC thread

A'den
2009-09-22, 05:10 AM

"Seems like the best idea I've heard today other than lets grab an ale. Maybe they won't take much notice of us if we appear to be doing something else, stand a little closer to me."

Kane put on an attractive smile, he had good teeth for a man on the run half his life, good care of his body kept him from getting holed up anywhere for too long sick. There was a mischevious glimmer in his eyes that hadn't been there when he had first met Eirian, a sign of life beyond that of a heartbeat.

"Just lean in a bit."

[roll0] Diplomacy: to get Eirian to work with him.
[roll1] Bluff: So the Magician and Donan don't notice Kane is trying to listen in on them.
[roll2] Perception: To listen to the conversation while appearing to kiss Eirian.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-22, 05:29 AM
Eirian is a bit affronted and flustered at Kane's suggestion, but reluctantly leans in closer.

"I only wish I could speak well of your breath." Eirian says, trying to hide her expression.

Cilvyn
2009-09-22, 07:30 AM
If Donan walks down the stairs you see the man look up to the sky and rearranges his cloths more tight against the cold raindrops which start to fall.

Hail Stranger. You must be the one I am looking for. You have come to this place to volunteer for a mission right? The mist, you know.. But i Rather not speak about is in publik. If you agree we wait for the others He looks frowning in the direction of Kane and Eirian. You don't think your fake kissing creates the illusion you wished for.
Are finished and will come over here. As for the others I counted on 5 people.

The market place becomes more and more disbanded, the last people wave eachother goodbye and heading home.

[ You can hear perfectly what the magican sais]

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-22, 07:37 AM
Gratefully, Eirian steps back from Kane and approaches the man.

"The next time I think something is not a good idea, I will listen to that thought," she says in a low voice. "Forgive the pretense," she says to the magician, but what rumours I have heard of this town have informed me that people are not so kind to those who...of our persuasion. Perhaps we can gather at my room at the inn and you can tell us more about the plight of this town."

Rael
2009-09-22, 09:36 AM
Lyn plays to the crowd in the marketplace, occasionally hearing the clink of a coin as it drops into her open backpack. But the sadness in the air and the suffering of the people made those coins very few and far between. Every now and then she steals a glance at the church of St. Cuthbert, taking in the sight of the men standing outside. As the day gets later she spies the old woman begging for money for food, and gives her the money that she received for performing for the day. Sighing heavily, she takes up the lute and begins playing again.

A'den
2009-09-22, 03:27 PM
Kane smiles at Eirian's joke, at least he hoped it was a joke, he wasn't about to check his breath lest he look more the fool. Grateful for the distraction he turned to the magician. Kane let Eirian take the lead keeping his eyes open for the unexpected.

He wasn't much one for conversation anyways, hang back let the diplomats deal with the problems. Somewhere around the market he could hear the song of a bard playing. His eyes flickered around as listened to the magician.

Two other people he noticed were in no rush to get out the rain a woman stringing the lute, the willowy tones seemed more dreary than a funeral dirge. The other woman strolling through the marketplace had dark hair tied back in a ponytail and large blue eyes, he couldn't quite place it but something about her made the hairs on the his forearms stand up and look in the sky for lightening. He turned back to the conversation keeping his attention split between the native ruffian that looked to be some kind of scout and the magician.

Rael
2009-09-23, 09:33 AM
Raelyn

As the marketplace empties and the rain goes from drizzle to a steady pour, Raelyn closes her backpack and lifts the lining of her lute case, making sure her sword was still there and safe from the rain. Placing the lute in the case and closing it, she looks around once again before starting towards the inn across from the temple. As she walks she spies a well dressed woman looking at a small group of people still standing and talking in the rain.

People don't dress like that to hang around the marketplace and docks...

Raelyn walks over and stops in front of the woman (Aurelia) and blocks her view of the small group.

"It's probably none of my business milady, but perhaps just approaching those you have been watching may give the result you want. I always find just asking for something works best..."

Silver Coin
2009-09-25, 02:42 AM
Aurelia

Aurelia watched the exchange, a little amused by it all. The Barbarian had leaned into the young woman, who had shied away. It seemed clear to her that he was distinctly glad of the convenient distraction that had arrived at a rather inconvenient situation.

As the rain began to fall, Aurelia looked up towards the sky. She was usually charmed by the rain, which always seemed pure and refreshing, but recently, it seemed to have become distinctly unwholesome. Something inside her seemed to stir and she like the whole thing not at all.

Moving away from the crowd, she tried to find a sheltered path that would allow her to hear the conversation more clearly.

Perception Roll: [roll0]

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-25, 04:10 AM
Turning around, Eirian saw the woman with the lute, gazing at them. She turned back to the magician. "Is this not one of those you expected to see? Who are here for the same reason that we are?"

Cilvyn
2009-09-25, 07:17 AM
Wel milady, That might be a good idea, I and i suppose you neither would like to stand any longer in the rain like this.

The market place is now empty, only the five of you are left.
The magican nods you to come near him.

So it seems, you are the five who will investigate the mist. This lady he nods at Eirian Invited us to her room at the inn. I understand that you want to discuss the mission on known grounds, though we can also go to my place, I and my order guarantee your savety

He looks at all of you, asking what you will decide.

Oh, and we won't send you immediatly to the front lines, don't worrie. I think the five of you would like to know eachother better before you trust eachother in perilious situations.

Grey_Wolf_c
2009-09-25, 10:00 AM
So it seems, you are the five who will investigate the mist. This lady he nods at Eirian Invited us to her room at the inn. I understand that you want to discuss the mission on known grounds, though we can also go to my place, I and my order guarantee your savety

As the rain starts, Donan pushes back the hood of his cloak, letting the water clean the worst of the mud from hair and clothes. As the strange magician talks, he stares at him intently, and every so often sniffs, as if he had a cold.

... ((Rest of the post depends on the guy's truthfulness - see this OOC post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6996759&postcount=52)))

A'den
2009-09-27, 05:35 PM
Kane eyed the musician Eirian addressed otherwise kept his attention on the old man and the odd fellow talking to the soldiers. He inclined his head briefly giving his ascent to the man's request for aid.

Either way he had to pass through the stuff eventually to get home better with some allies and a bit of fore-knowledge than alone.