PDA

View Full Version : Modders/Game Devs itP

Rutskarn
2009-09-18, 12:50 PM
Thought we could use a thread about this. Who here indulges in a little game modding/game programming?

Can be anything from sweeping Half-Life 2 mods involving pineapples and circus clowns to homemade flash games that aren't quite Pac-Man. Tell us your story, show us your work! Show us your moves!

Lorn
2009-09-18, 02:04 PM
I've played around with mods for both Dawn of War (maps only) and TES4: Oblivion, the latter more than the former.

Nothing huge - a player house, some vanity mods, a couple utility mods. Was considering modding in a sewer system for the cities that don't have one, but gave up in the end.

Player house details:

The player house was the biggest one I created. Under the name of BasTyra, it contained (among other things) spellmaking and enchantment altars which for some reason didn't show up, a training dummy pet Daedroth I'd set so it shouldn't be able to move which wandered off and was later found fighting three Dremora Lords and winning (put the damn thing in an actual arena next time round) and an inventive way to stop the player grabbing the house too quickly...

The house itself was made to look pretty impressive - a marble walkway, flush with the water took you to the front garden. To your left was the training dummy bit, to your right open water leading to Anvil Docks, and straight ahead was the house itself. Two stories, in elegant stonework, design inspired by chapels found all over Cyrodiil. To the back was a beautiful view over the horizon, which you could admire sitting under the trees - a small section of paradise. Or, you could train with your bow in the conveniently placed target area.

The key was held by a level 50 skeleton (previous owner of the house :p) with its speed bumped up to about 150. This skeleton was HARD. Loads of health. Its weapon - half the prize for beating it - was an elven longsword with stats slightly better than Daedric with a paralyse for two seconds enchantment on it. And about 50 uses.

Let's see a level five guy take that thing :smallwink:

And that's if they can find it... you had to go to the back of the house, then swim straight down to the ocean floor. There was a sunken shipwreck nearby. You went through a trapdoor into a cave - aptly named the Test of Courage, with multicoloured walls of flame preventing you from getting to a cupboard, containing some armour and a weapon. At the end of this corridor was another trapdoor, leading to the skeleton room... which, also, had in it a giant crystal ball (widescreen scrying stone :p) which acted as a gateway to the top of White Gold Tower. Modded so you could stand on top of it and see all of Cyrodiil - so long as you didn't decide to jump off, at which point you'd be experiencing the weirdness inside the Imperial City Walls on the main land map :p Not sure how well it combined with Open Cities, will have to check...

I was proud of that house :p I never updated to the final version on Fileplanet, though... probably should have. Not sure where it is now, might be stuck on my portable hard drive.

Vanity/utility mods were pretty basic - modding weapons to looks, basically. Nothing game-breaking, just maybe replacing the Fine Steel Shortsword mesh with the Debaser mesh.

Astrella
2009-09-18, 02:13 PM
Well, I've dabbled a bit in Game Maker.

And used to make custom maps for Warcraft III (the highlights probably being a turnbased card game map and a conversion of stronghold crusader).

valadil
2009-09-18, 02:15 PM
I did a half-life mod a while ago. The site's long gone but the mod was awesome.

It replaced most things in the game with Yoda. Players were Yoda. Explosives were Yoda. Crossbows were Yoda. It wasn't uncommon to see Yoda beating down Yoda with a Yoda.

Most of the mod was just a matter of searching through the code and replacing random models with yoda.mdl and a bunch of sounds with yoda noises scoured from all over the internets. The only real bit of coding was the bee gun. It launched a yoda bee (unsurprisingly). When the bee hit a wall it became a snark (also yoda) and ran around the level trying to eat people. This was cool because the effect was pretty seamless.

I've had ideas for game modding since then, but haven't had the time.

Fri
2009-09-18, 04:36 PM
Okay, that's the best thing ever since yoda. You must give us the mod, or at least some screenshot.

revolver kobold
2009-09-18, 09:43 PM
While I don't design myself, one of my mates is currently doing a university course on design & development, and I have been helping him over the past few weeks in beta testing his card game: Peasant Quest.

Its a parody of D&D where you play as a peasant, stuck between horrible things happening to you and your farm, and horrible adventurers who rock up to help you but usually make things worse.

The aim of the game? First person to 10 copper pieces wins.

valadil
2009-09-18, 11:43 PM
Okay, that's the best thing ever since yoda. You must give us the mod, or at least some screenshot.

I wish I could, but my google fu is weak. You want a cached version of planethalflife.com/yoda. It was up between 2000 and 2007.

Dogmantra
2009-09-19, 01:33 AM
I made a crappy flash game where you're a dude who has to jump over and slash or duck under flying rocks. It's fairly easy and only took me a short while to make.

I also made a mod for Morrowind that adds two weapons to the game (that you can only add with the console, currently). One is a broom that you can hit people with, the other is a broom that can be fired out of a crossbow. Hilarious.

Dihan
2009-09-19, 11:39 AM
I've made several mods for Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PC. That's it though.

Johnny Blade
2009-09-19, 11:43 AM
I wish I could, but my google fu is weak. You want a cached version of planethalflife.com/yoda. It was up between 2000 and 2007.
I don't think Google is what you really want (http://www.archive.org/index.php).

Rayzin
2009-09-19, 11:52 AM
I can do some basic coding, and i learned it to be able to manipulate the Warcraft III World Editor, and the Starcraft Map Editor.

Very easy to use and you can make so many custom maps easily.

Dairun Cates
2009-09-19, 12:06 PM
I've made games before, and I'm currently doing so. Of course, nothing major enough for a release, but this is essentially my schoolwork. I think I've talked about Gumslinger before, but it's been a while, and I'm currently the level design lead on "Psych Ward".

Neo
2009-09-19, 12:47 PM
I'm doing a game dev degree atm, on the art side anyway. So probably gonna be looking into mods this year at some point.

My only claim to fame was working for Alchemic Dream for the doomed Dark and Light game. Mostly just your average Game Masterly stuff.

Ikialev
2009-09-19, 02:10 PM
I consider myself a modder for Baldur's Gate 2, if somebody provides the idea for a mod. I could never invent anything by myself. well there was this mod with the heads from beginning of ToB singing the fresh prince of bel-air but that was stupid

KataraAltinaII
2009-09-19, 11:03 PM
I'm not much of a modder, mostly because I haven't tried too much.

as far as stuff I HAVE done, I totally modded FATE so that the tips that show up while the game loads said stuff like "Pikachu is the best character in Smash Bros." or "Nephi wuz heer!" or something. (FYI, my real name is Nephi)

and of course, in-game hacks. made moronic people disapear, made this one idiot turn into a clone of my character., and made this one spell have godly powers that could kill anything.

it was fun :smallbiggrin:

Ellye
2009-09-20, 12:00 AM
I had two popular Neverwinter Nights servers with my own modules, and I've made a handful of popular script systems.
That game was basically the reason I got into programming for real.

I also programmed some .lua UI for World of Warcraft and some .lua AI for Ragnarok Online.