PDA

View Full Version : classes for non-intelligent creatures (3.5)

grubblybubbly
2009-09-18, 12:54 PM
my friend seems to think his animal companion for his druid should be allowed to take classes in sorcerer. i have briefly searched the players handbook and the other core books, but i can't seem to find any rules that allow it or say that it shouldn't be allowed. if the companion can gain levels, should it get a percentage of the group xp? or maybe some of the druids xp would be more reasonable? please respond with your feedback!

thanks

Kylarra
2009-09-18, 01:05 PM
It gets bonus HD for his druid levels, those HD are racial HD per the Improving monsters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm) page. If he wants a cohort he has to take the Leadership feat (not that he can't afford it as a druid anyway).

deuxhero
RAW it adds bonus hit dice, not class levels. We don't need a druid who is a fighter and 2 spellcasters, already enough issues with a druid that is 2 Fighters and a spellcaster

Mastikator
I'm pretty sure it would only be allowed if the animal is awakened.

Though, sorcerer levels ought to count as at least as -2 bonus hd & abilities from druid level, per sorcerer level.

On the other hand, druids are already too powerful.

Glimbur
2009-09-18, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty sure it would only be allowed if the animal is awakened.

Once you Awaken it it can't be an animal companion anymore.

I thought there was a rule that you had to have at least 3 Int to take class levels, but all a quick search turned up was that you need at least 3 Int to be a PC.

Eldariel
2009-09-18, 01:15 PM

I thought there was a rule that you had to have at least 3 Int to take class levels, but all a quick search turned up was that you need at least 3 Int to be a PC.

Exalted Companion makes your AC celestial which gives it Int 3.

Kylarra
2009-09-18, 01:27 PM

I thought there was a rule that you had to have at least 3 Int to take class levels, but all a quick search turned up was that you need at least 3 Int to be a PC.Savage species says a creature with base int less than 3 can't have class levels.

bosssmiley
2009-09-18, 01:35 PM
my friend seems to think his animal companion for his druid should be allowed to take classes in sorcerer. i have briefly searched the players handbook and the other core books, but i can't seem to find any rules that allow it or say that it shouldn't be allowed.

Hahaha haha hahahaha haha ha. No! :smallamused:

An animal companion is a class feature that improves as the character it is associated with levels up.
An awakened animal with class levels would be an NPC cohort (see the DMG) with its own XP total.

Tell the greedy little munchkin to whistle for it. Druid is already one of the most powerful classes in the game.

valadil
2009-09-18, 01:41 PM
You could homebrew something like that, but it would definitely overpower the character. If it's a friendly hack and slash game, I say go for it. If it's already optmization heavy then it's probably a bad idea.

To reconcile the animal companion or NPC problem, I think that when awakened the animal should gain reverence for the druid that awakened him. He'd see the PC as something between a parent and a deity. Even though he'd technically be an NPC he'd stick around to play the animal companion part. I'd probably make the druid take leadership at this point too.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2009-09-18, 02:07 PM
I smell a useful ranger buff :)

But not for druids. Oh no

Telonius
2009-09-18, 02:33 PM
Hahaha haha hahahaha haha ha. No! :smallamused:

An animal companion is a class feature that improves as the character it is associated with levels up.
An awakened animal with class levels would be an NPC cohort (see the DMG) with its own XP total.

Tell the greedy little munchkin to whistle for it. Druid is already one of the most powerful classes in the game.

This. If he wants it to have class levels, he needs to spend a Feat on Leadership. The cohort will earn a fraction of the Leader's XP.