PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Item Creation; Magical And Mundane

CheshireCatAW
2009-09-18, 01:12 PM
I'm playing my first character that has ever tried to craft things, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules and have some questions.

If you have 10 ranks and take 10, a DC 20 item that costs 100 gold will take 2 1/2 weeks of work and 33 gold to make, correct? There's no XP cost?

Making a Masterwork anything is a flat DC 20, yes? Masterwork Armor, Crossbow Bolt, Dagger, Spoon or Thief Tools are all DC 20 to create?

Enchanting an item will cost me 1/2 the base price of the enchantment, 1/25 the base cost of the enchantment in XP and a day for each 1000g in the base price, correct?

As a Psionic Artificer, if I want to enchant the item I'm working on, I just have to roll Use Psionic Device until I get (20 + Power Level) of the power I want to emulate?

Thank you for the help.

deuxhero
2009-09-18, 01:19 PM
Don't think so, RAW says DC20 for the masterwork part of masterwork armor weapon or tool then the regular DC. Look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm). Really would have worked a lot better with making masterwork a fixed modifier to craft checks.

CheshireCatAW
2009-09-18, 01:24 PM
Ah, I see what I was missing, although, effectively, DC 20 will be the hardest thing you'll have to hit.

Creating Masterwork Items
You can make a masterwork item—a weapon, suit of armor, shield, or tool that conveys a bonus on its use through its exceptional craftsmanship, not through being magical. To create a masterwork item, you create the masterwork component as if it were a separate item in addition to the standard item. The masterwork component has its own price (300 gp for a weapon or 150 gp for a suit of armor or a shield) and a Craft DC of 20. Once both the standard component and the masterwork component are completed, the masterwork item is finished. Note: The cost you pay for the masterwork component is one-third of the given amount, just as it is for the cost in raw materials.

So, you create the item, wether it's DC 5 or 10, and then make an additional DC 20 check to create the Masterwork component of the item. Hmm... Ok, I get it. This leads to another question. Does this add to the crafting time or is it included in the original item creation time?

Also, eeww. It looks like if you take the "Progress By Day" option, you're actually hurting your speed by about 1/3 or so. Am I reading that wrong as well?

CheshireCatAW
2009-09-18, 01:45 PM
Yet another question.

Does adding an exotic material to the crafting make the DC rise? IE, is it easier to make a wooden spoon than an Adamantine Spoon?

Starbuck_II
2009-09-18, 01:52 PM
Exotic stuff is auto materwork.
So you aren't making a normal spoon; an adamantine spoon is awesome naturally.
Cost is only difference (so takes longer to make).

Tyndmyr
2009-09-19, 05:25 PM
So...if mundane crafting maxes out at 20 for masterwork(Im aware that there are additional options, such as dwarven crafted or w/e it's called, but they are much less useful)....and you can take 10 on crafting...is there any real point to boosting craft skills beyond a +10? With a good modifier, that could be very few ranks per craft skill indeed to max out.

Dragon Elite
2009-09-19, 05:36 PM
Bonuses=speed.

deuxhero
2009-09-19, 08:35 PM
Fabricate=speed