PDA

View Full Version : So... I'm looking for a character concept 3.5

Kris Strife
2009-09-18, 03:48 PM
I'm thinking of joining some additional PbP games, both here and on other formats, but I have a problem... I can't come up with a concept I like. I've only gotten to truely play two: A paladin I took from level 1 to level 25 and Larin, a gestalt Warmage//DFA for Kerluddin. I kind of want to try something different, but I'm not wanting to play a heavy book keeping character, so no Sorcerers, Favored Souls, etc.

I don't want a build, just two class/race combos, one standard and one gestalt for me to work on and have ready.

If there are any questions, please ask.

Grumman
2009-09-18, 04:06 PM
Warforged Cleric / Techpriest of the Becoming God, a cleric building a material shell worthy of his god?

Human Urban Druid / Renegade Mastermaker?

ex cathedra
2009-09-18, 04:07 PM
Human Factotum (Dungeonscape).
Beguiler (Shining South) Beguiler (PHBII).

Both are pseudo skill monkeys. The first is more martial, the second is more arcane.

Human Warblade (Tome of Battle)//Psion (Expanded Psionics Handbook).

A nice psi-gish, with great int synergy and a moderate control of the action economy. Much less book keeping than arcane classes, as there are only two books with powers to look through.

Kris Strife
2009-09-18, 04:17 PM
Wow, just noticed I forgot the 'm in the thread title... Yay for 21 hours of no sleep! :smalltongue:

And acutally, I've thought about doing something with warforged, probably some Paladin and Greyguard levels so I can do G-Gundam jokes, but where are Renegade Mastermaker, Techpriest and the Becoming God from?

talus21
2009-09-18, 04:19 PM
Why not start with a personality type and do the class/race around it?

quick_comment
2009-09-18, 04:22 PM
Sorcerers, Favored Souls, etc.

Sorcs and favored souls have some of the least bookkeeping of any class. They have 0 abilities that change.

I think a beguiler/shadow adept would be neat. For gestalt go beguiler/shadow adept//swordsage (focusing on shadow hand). Shadow trickster gives your illusions a bonus while in a shadow hand stance.

Eldariel
2009-09-18, 04:34 PM
...Concept is hard to help you with. What kind of a concept would you want to play? A master of the blade? A seeker of immortality? Maybe man who lost someone important early on in his life and was so traumatized that he devoted his life to making sure nobody else would have to live through the same?

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-18, 04:38 PM
I always liked the idea of an unwilling necromancer.

I made a human child whose family was slaughtered in a magical catastrophe, while he himself just barely survived, see. He was infused with magical energies and his soul got 'fused' with the soulstuff floating around. He develops innate magical powers stemming from positive and negative energy. The spirits of his dead family (especially his parents) follow him around, inhabiting the bodies of the slain nearby, using those vessels to protect him in the only means he has available.

At later levels, undead spontaneously arise around him, and flock to him in large numbers. He hates it, but eventually learns to accept it and use them for good ends (since he has no possibility of NOT raising the undead, so he's stuck with it, and can either use them or let them wander around uncontrolled).

TN human psion (any)/incarnate 1/thrallherd, with Shape Soulmeld (Necrocarnum Circlet). For gestalt, TN human psion (any)/thrallherd // incarnate with Necrocarnum Acolyte or Shape Soulmeld (Necrocarnum Circlet).

Note that the thrallherd's thrallherd ability isn't mind-affecting, and isn't restricted by type or subtype. He can pull in lots of undead, including necrocarnum zombies, regular zombies and skeletons, and even vampires, wraiths, shadows, and liches.

Grumman
2009-09-18, 04:40 PM
And acutally, I've thought about doing something with warforged, probably some Paladin and Greyguard levels so I can do G-Gundam jokes, but where are Renegade Mastermaker, Techpriest and the Becoming God from?
Renegade Mastermaker is from Magic of Eberron.
Techpriest is from Faiths and Pantheons, a Faerun book.
The Becoming God one of the Warforged gods from Eberron.

I always liked the idea of an unwilling necromancer....
No offense, but it sounds like something I'd lump in with child characters and blind fighters as "special snowflake" characters. They might be interesting character concepts for a story, but they beg the question of why the rest of an adventuring party puts up with them.

Kris Strife
2009-09-18, 04:43 PM
Quick, it might just be I viewed it as more book keeping than I liked, I made a favored soul (never got to play it) and choosing spells known was a good deal more book keeping than Paladin gave me, and definantly more than a warmage.

I can set almost any personality and fluff to a character, but I'm having trouble picking race/class mechanics that interest me, if that clarifies things.

Edit: Lycanthromancer, thats actually similar to an idea I gave to someone once who wanted to play an elf Cleric of Correllon. He was for what ever reason unable to channel positive energy (CN alignment btw) but was able to channel negative and was questing to find someway to fix this.

Eldariel
2009-09-18, 04:49 PM
We just had a thread about our favorite level 20 character builds, so mayhap look for there to see if some really strike you as interesting. My post, for example:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6615142&postcount=68

Kris Strife
2009-09-18, 05:03 PM
Definantly some intersting things there and I'll be looking at them.

As for personality/fluff/etc, I do have an idea I've wanted to try, but would require DM permission (probably), is an adventurer or the disciple/squire of one from a prior version of the universe (like aboleths) who got turned to stone by a diety and placed on the astral plane for safe keeping until they found a cure. Obviously they did not and he was left there for some time. I'd like the party to acquire the statue cheaply somehow, and accidently release the curse. He's gone slightly cracked from being trapped there so long and has been exposed to things that don't, haven't yet or can't exist in the universe now. Basically an excuse to have his first lines be 'At last, after 10000 years I'm free! Time to conquer... Wait, no. Thats not the right line... One moment please?' and make anachronistic references. :smallbiggrin:

Lycanthromancer
2009-09-18, 05:06 PM
Shaper 6/Constructor 10/Shaper (or some other manifesting PrC) 4.

Astral constructs and the psionic minor creation powers are great fun. In fact, I found that my LA 0 LE blue goblin with this build was probably the most fun I've had with a character ever. If gestalting, just toss on straight factotum to the other side.

How about a divine minion shifter (or changeling) totemist/master of many forms/warshaper?

Psychic warrior 20, with Linked Power, a low level swift-action power (say, grip of iron and/or hustle), and plenty of buffs. Psywars are amazing if you know how to play them. Research metamorphosis, and take the Darkstalker and Metamorphic Transfer feats for LOTS of interesting combos. Add a psicrystal and a couple of psychoactive skins of proteus (self-made, o' course) for even more awesome. You can be a stealthy assassin at low levels (via chameleon), and be a stealthy juggernaut of destruction with access to the antimagic cone of a beholder later on. Fun for the whole family you!