PDA

View Full Version : Item Protection?

DoomJay999
2009-09-18, 06:17 PM
Hello all,

Going to be starting a new group soon, also a new player, and have a bit of information from the DM that the rogue in the party is going to actively try to steal from the other PCs. So my question is this; Is there a way that I can protect my items? :smalleek: Like a item or spell that I could put on/in my Backpack/Bag of Holding, that will prevent this? Running a 3.5 session.

Thanks,

DoomJay999, Duskblade

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-18, 06:18 PM
Apply contact poison to everything, and play a class or race immune to it?

Myou
2009-09-18, 06:20 PM
Talk to the rogue player out of characer. Tell him that you don't enjoy being screwed over by so-called friends and that when he steals to steal from NPCs, not you.

Otherwise, I belive there's a cursed item that looks like a bag of holding and shreds whatever dares reach in. Bag of Devouring?

Strawman
2009-09-18, 06:23 PM
If you can trick him into trying to steal something that is safely away from you and your other items, use explosive runes. Just put it on something cheap that you can lose without sweating over it. It should work as a nice warning.

And if you really don't want to have your items stolen, follow Myou's advice. Roleplaying integrity does not top gameplaying fun.

Assassin89
2009-09-18, 06:25 PM
Apply contact poison to everything, and play a class or race immune to it?

The problem with that is that the rogue might be a race that is immune to poison.

You could have a glyph of warding or fire trap cast on the bag

Raltar
2009-09-18, 06:27 PM
Kill the rogue.

Mercenary Pen
2009-09-18, 06:27 PM
Get the party's arcane caster to put spells up to prevent against theft... start with relatively benign spells, but if it escalates, then explosive runes is fair game. By the time the rogue has to start every day on half hit points and is going without assistance from the rest of the party, he'll either get the picture, or he'll die. Either way, the party as a whole wins.

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-18, 06:28 PM
The problem with that is that the rogue might be a race that is immune to poison.

In such a case;

Kill the rogue.

Masaioh
2009-09-18, 06:29 PM
Talk to the rogue player out of characer. Tell him that you don't enjoy being screwed over by so-called friends and that when he steals to steal from NPCs, not you.

Otherwise, I belive there's a cursed item that looks like a bag of holding and shreds whatever dares reach in. Bag of Devouring?

I think with Bag of Devouring you risk having the items in the bag destroyed forever.

To OP, if your character's budget permits so, try commissioning (or crafting if there is no magic mart) a bag or some other item that has a non-damaging contingency spell like baleful polymorph, but it recognizes your characters fingerprints. I hope your DM will allow something like that.

DoomJay999
2009-09-18, 06:31 PM
Wow thanks for the quick responses :smallbiggrin:.
I like the idea of the poison but I've pretty much got my char figured out.
I know the guy that will be playing the rogue and we get along pretty well, I just don't want to be "that guy" and stifle what he's trying to do (out of game), a sorcerer in the party with the DMs permission is going to put... basically claymore(land-mine) type runes on all his stuff, so that if an attempt is made the rogue will have to make a save throw...
So... just as far as trying to really get into my char and habits, I just was hoping to find a quick easy way to get around it when a town was reached.

DoomJay999

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-18, 06:39 PM
You could obsessively collect bells, and have lots of your items enchanted to jingle pleasantly as if they had them? Probably a bad idea if you ever want to sneak anywhere, though.

Flickerdart
2009-09-18, 06:42 PM
Rest overnight in your own personal Rope Trick. Alternately, Vow of Poverty.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-18, 06:43 PM
Kill the rogue.

Strawman
2009-09-18, 06:43 PM
I forgot to mention the method I use, A Stone of Alarm. The DM I'm playing with now makes anyone make a spot check if they're stealing from my bag. If they fail, the Stone of Alarm makes an obscene racket.

Seonor
2009-09-18, 06:46 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123200) are some useful tricks.

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-18, 06:53 PM
Beat the Rouge to death every time he steals from you, and take the rez fee from his portion of the loot.

Shpadoinkle
2009-09-18, 06:54 PM
To quote Raltar:

Kill the rogue.

/thread

Myou
2009-09-18, 06:56 PM
I know the guy that will be playing the rogue and we get along pretty well, I just don't want to be "that guy" and stifle what he's trying to do (out of game)

You don't have to steal from your closest allies to be a thief. And yet he's trying to stifle every character in his party just because he's not satisfied screwing over every NPC he meets. I'm serious when I say this, kill him. The second you catch him stealing anything from a party member mob him, tear him to shreds, and burn the body.

As a DM I would tell him to get lost - players in my games play nice or they don't play.

There is one exception - if every player agrees that they want that sort of game. But you certainly don't seem to.

Roc Ness
2009-09-18, 07:11 PM
Mark of Justice?

Gaes/Quest?

The Glyphstone
2009-09-18, 07:16 PM
Kill the rogue.

Myou
2009-09-18, 07:16 PM
Kill the rogue! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!

Mark of Justice?

Gaes/Quest?

Too easy to get removed/escape. He can't use Dispel Magic on Disintegrate.

Mando Knight
2009-09-18, 07:19 PM
Mark of Justice?

Gaes/Quest?

Both. When he's sleeping. A rogue that actively steals from the rest of the party is stifling the party. You are fully entitled to defend your stuff. And that means reducing the main source of stuff-loss. Which happens to potentially be the Wannabe-Worse-Than-Belkar.

Skorj
2009-09-18, 07:21 PM
To everyone saying kill the rogue: there's a less violent solution, if you're interested in such things. Just make it clear that the party uses a shared inventory. Whenever you find that you're missing anything, thank the rogue for carrying more than his share of the party's equipment, and ask for the item he's so helpfully carrying for you.

This was the old school solution in my groups, back when the class was called "thief": the rogue is personally responsible for everything in the party inventory. If the rogue wants to carry someone else's equipment, that's his business, but if it's in the party's inventory list, the rogue must produce it on demand. It always worked for us: we never had to actually boot a player from the group, the implied threat was enough.

Myou
2009-09-18, 07:36 PM
To everyone saying kill the rogue: there's a less violent solution, if you're interested in such things. Just make it clear that the party uses a shared inventory. Whenever you find that you're missing anything, thank the rogue for carrying more than his share of the party's equipment, and ask for the item he's so helpfully carrying for you.

This was the old school solution in my groups, back when the class was called "thief": the rogue is personally responsible for everything in the party inventory. If the rogue wants to carry someone else's equipment, that's his business, but if it's in the party's inventory list, the rogue must produce it on demand. It always worked for us: we never had to actually boot a player from the group, the implied threat was enough.

Wouldn't he just say he didn't have it? :smallconfused:

After all, you could have been pickpocketed or just lost something.

Crafty Cultist
2009-09-18, 07:42 PM
There is a spell called phantasmal theif that creates an invisible force to steal things for you. fight kleptomania with kleptomania!

Myou
2009-09-18, 07:51 PM
There is a spell called phantasmal theif that creates an invisible force to steal things for you. fight kleptomania with kleptomania!

The kleptomania also has kleptomania!

No, wait, that doesn't work....

Keld Denar
2009-09-18, 07:55 PM
Kill the rogue

Barring that, 3rd level gets you access to Craft Wonderous Item as a caster. One of the things CWI allows you to make are magical traps. So, rig up a trap on your gear that casts a spell when ever its touched by anyone other than you. I'd make it something that affects Will or Fort. Charm Person would be awesome, since if he tries to pick it up, he'd immediately become ultra friendly to you, probably returning any of your goods you might have "lost". Another is Blindness. Its PERMANENT until cured. That'll teach him a lesson...Especially if you are the only one who can cure it. Higher levels brings more shananigans, including Suggestions of "stop being a douche, appologize, and give me my crap back", Contagions that make his wang-doodle fall off, and other very nasty unfortunate effects. It'll cost you a litle gold and a very little xp, but it'll SO be worth it when the rogues character shows up all glassy-eyed, unhanding your personables on bent knee.

Or just kill him...probably easier that way...

DoomJay999
2009-09-18, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the posts and ideas. :smallbiggrin: I'ma thinking of going with a double dose of Glyph of Warding. One on the backpack and one on my bag of holding(inside backpack). It sounds like I can key it to just me, he'd have to make a DC 28 (x2) just to open the bag and then do it again, and if he fails FLAME! And it should be pretty cheap like 200 for each.

DoomJay999

ericgrau
2009-09-18, 08:00 PM
Try to solve it out of game first. Take to the player and group about how this won't be fun and that soon the party would probably kick the rogue out of the party. If this is really something the whole group thinks should be in the party, then your characters discipline or jail the rogue character. You don't just try to guard your things without retaliating after you catch him stealing.

Thajocoth
2009-09-18, 08:03 PM
Easy... Once it happens, give the rogue your weapons. Blade first. While they're sleeping.

In games I play, that would be unacceptable and the player would not be invited back.

You could also decide that the rogue is not your ally, since they clearly aren't, and therefore they cannot flank with you for sneak attack.

If you're ranged, like a wizard or something, don't worry about whether or not the rogue is in the fray when you blast it. You would only be hitting enemies, even with the rogue there, after all.

Basically, make it obvious why the rogue wants you to be their ally. If there's ANY threat of them stealing from you, they're NOT your ally.

...I just don't want to be "that guy" and stifle what he's trying to do...You have it backwards. HE'S the one being "that guy" by stealing from his supposed allies.

CheshireCatAW
2009-09-18, 08:10 PM
As a primary Rogue player myself, I say kill the Rogue. Or blind him. Then kill him after you explain why. Rogue does not mean Thief. Heck, being a Thief does not mean you steal from the people WHOSE LIVES YOU DEPEND ON!

Ideally, you could engineer a situation where, had he not stolen from you, you would have the means to save his life. Instead, you must leave him to die a horrible, long, drawn out death.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-18, 08:11 PM
Put a note in your backpack "If my **** is not here tomorrow I'm buying a heavy pick for my next weapon ... we all have to sleep sometime.".

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-18, 08:19 PM
Put a note in your backpack "If my **** is not here tomorrow I'm buying a heavy pick for my next weapon ... we all have to sleep sometime.".

I like this. Quite a bit.

The Glyphstone
2009-09-18, 08:55 PM
Setting traps for him is a bad idea because he'll just consider it an extra challenge to get your stuff, and feel extra superior when he 'beats' you and takes it.

If you want him to keep stealing your stuff, then you set traps, and it becomes a game of 'can he get past your traps' or not. If you don't want your stuff stolen. make it clear to him that he shouldn't steal it. Start gradual, like refusing to grant him flanking bonuses in combat because he's not an 'ally'. and if he doesn't take the hint, work your way up to a Channeled Scorching Ray attack in his sleep.