PDA

View Full Version : The end of comic book movies?

doliest
2009-09-18, 10:27 PM
Looking over Dark Knight I just realized something. The Dark Knight is probably the most successful comicbook movie of all time, and it's alot more grim and gritty than the competition. From what I've heard the shazam film was cancelled for not being gritty enough and although this is somewhat unrelated it seems that superman won't be getting a sequal due to the low profit of returns.(although that could be blamed on other things) Is anyone else worried that we're going to get a movie version of 90s comics? Seriously if it wasn't for the fact that Nolan isn't an idiot I'd half expect to see Azreal introduced as a sidekick in the third film. Anyway maybe I'm just an alarmist, thoughts?

kpenguin
2009-09-18, 10:29 PM
Well, Deadpool's getting his own movie and he's a Liefield creation...

*cue angry Deadpool fans*

Jade_Tarem
2009-09-18, 10:30 PM
I thought Marvel was setting up for their Avengers thing. Capt. America is still on the burner, right?

Zevox
2009-09-18, 10:56 PM
I know of at least three upcoming comic book based movies I'm looking forward to: Green Lantern, Iron Man 2, and X-Men Origins: Magneto. I know they're also working on movies for Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers, plus I think I heard they were making a second X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie. Sounds like a fair amount of comic book movies to me, although a bit one-sided as to which company they're drawing from, given the only DC one is Green Lantern. Could be I just haven't heard of whatever other DC ones are in the works, though.

Zevox

kpenguin
2009-09-18, 11:07 PM
Jonah Hex (DC) is coming out next year. I'm sort of torn about expectations about that one, though.

On the one hand, I liked Josh Brolin in No Country for Old Men and I'm quite certain he can pull off being the cowboy bounty hunter.

On the other hand... Megan Fox is not exactly the harbinger of quality, especially when she's playing a romantic interest that I don't recall existing in the comics.

EDIT: They're getting a metal band to do the score? For a film based on a Old West themed comic book? Hmmm...

Godskook
2009-09-18, 11:11 PM
If it means they'll stop making the bad comic book movies, I'm willing to pay the price.

The problem is, comic book movies refuse to hold themselves to the same standards as their non-movie peers. Thus, the movies will diverge from the comics as a result.

I'm also having a hard time separating 'comic-book movie' and 'super-hero movie', thus, the Incredibles keeps popping into my mind as being worth listing in the same list of quality(albeit, not quite as good though).

Zevox
2009-09-18, 11:20 PM
Jonah Hex (DC) is coming out next year.
Never heard of him. *checks Wikipedia*

...sounds like the reason for that is that he's kind of a minor character, the sort you won't hear about unless you actually read comic books a lot. Huh. Wonder why he's getting a movie before bigger name DC heroes, like the Flash or Wonder Woman?

Zevox

Starscream
2009-09-18, 11:21 PM
Well, Deadpool's getting his own movie and he's a Liefield creation...

*cue angry Deadpool fans*

I don't even really consider Liefeld to be Wade's creator. All he did was draw Spider-Man the same way he draws everyone (i.e., poorly and overmuscled). Fabian Nicieza is the one who truly invented him, along with help from Mark Waid and Joe Kelly, who established his personality.

But I hope you will join me in being horrified to learn that Liefeld's Youngblood is set to become a movie. And Brett Ratner, the guy who pretty much ruined the X-Men film franchise, is going to direct.

Wonder Woman and the Flash can't get their movies made, and they decided to film Youngblood?! I fear the end-times of comic book movies may be upon us.

mr_pathetic
2009-09-18, 11:25 PM
I'm not all that worried.... will there be some bad ones still to come? Yup. Yet, I think there will be some good ones around the corner that will keep this gravy train afloat for at least a few more years... enough to satisy basically.

Hawriel
2009-09-18, 11:30 PM
honestly the thing that makes me worry the most about the future of Marvel movies is Disney. Disney baught Marvel two/three weeks ago for 4 billion.

If any thing is going to screw up Marvel's plans it's that.

thegurullamen
2009-09-18, 11:30 PM
Wonder why he's getting a movie before bigger name DC heroes, like the Flash or Wonder Woman?

It's hard to do. I don't know much about WW, but she seems like a female Superman from a cinematic point of view. She's got a salad of unrelated powers and to outsiders, she seems Sueish. Aside from that, she's been in developmental Hell for years: Joss was on the project since sometime around the turn of the millennium we've still got nothing.

As for the Flash, running really fast (and all of the BS pseudoscientific applications of that power like "vibrating" through solid materials) isn't the best cinematic power. At least it requires more creativity to fill a 90 minute film, unlike the more modular superheroes like Iron Man with his many gadgets or Spider Man with his varied powers.

I say bring on the obscure heroes like Jonah Hex and Preacher.

kpenguin
2009-09-18, 11:54 PM
Preacher is never ever ever ever ever going to become a film. Remember all the uproar about the Golden Compass? The fuss over a Preacher film would be ten times that.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-19, 12:00 AM
honestly the thing that makes me worry the most about the future of Marvel movies is Disney. Disney baught Marvel two/three weeks ago for 4 billion.

Umm, because Disney takes its corporate holdings like ESPN or Miramax and fixes them with princesses?

...Wait :smallconfused:

thegurullamen
2009-09-19, 12:02 AM
Preacher is never ever ever ever ever going to become a film. Remember all the uproar about the Golden Compass? The fuss over a Preacher film would be ten times that.

I believe that was more to do with being aimed at kids than it was about religion in general. Preacher would probably fall more in line with Constantine: some would like it, most would say RUINED FOREVER, meanwhile the parents would stay in the dark because it's R and Hollywood can do whatever it feels like there.

Umm, because Disney takes its corporate holdings like ESPN or Miramax and fixes them with princesses?

This. It hasn't been a month and I'm already sick of people thinking that Spider-Man is going to be getting Mickey Mouse ears. Massive corporations know to keep their individual parts separate: profits from one won't buoy up failures in another. That logic extends to the creative aspect. Disney isn't going to derail something that's been doing well enough without it for the past (cough) years. I mean, it's not like they're Lucas or something.

Xondoure
2009-09-19, 12:02 AM
Disney won't ruin Marvel, all they are doing is getting Marvel to help them with their guy audience as they have been steadily losing that over decades of princesses and pop stars.

They know a working system when they see it, look at how they handle Pixar.

Lord Seth
2009-09-19, 12:04 AM
Hopefully Iron Man 2 will be good. We watched Iron Man in a film class and I was really surprised by how good it was.

darkblade
2009-09-19, 12:05 AM

I do believe what he actually meant was that the sale would screw up Marvel's movie deals with rival company Fox.

thegurullamen
2009-09-19, 12:06 AM
Hopefully Iron Man 2 will be good. We watched Iron Man in a film class and I was really surprised by how good it was.

What, specifically, were you guys studying?

Xondoure
2009-09-19, 12:07 AM

My only problem with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk was that the bad guys had the exact same "Argh, I copy your powers!"
Yes, I know that they are part of the Marvel universe, no, it does not justfy them using the same plot for two movies. Even if they were both amazing.

Zevox
2009-09-19, 12:13 AM
But I hope you will join me in being horrified to learn that Liefeld's Youngblood is set to become a movie. And Brett Ratner, the guy who pretty much ruined the X-Men film franchise, is going to direct.

Wonder Woman and the Flash can't get their movies made, and they decided to film Youngblood?! I fear the end-times of comic book movies may be upon us.
That name does sound familiar, actually. I wonder if...

...oh Great Cthulu, I have heard of them. From Linkara (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/7134-youngblood), a guy who does video reviews of bad comic books on That Guy With the Glasses.com. And they were among the worse ones he's reviewed. Damn, how did they manage to get a movie?

It's hard to do. I don't know much about WW, but she seems like a female Superman from a cinematic point of view. She's got a salad of unrelated powers and to outsiders, she seems Sueish. Aside from that, she's been in developmental Hell for years: Joss was on the project since sometime around the turn of the millennium we've still got nothing.

As for the Flash, running really fast (and all of the BS pseudoscientific applications of that power like "vibrating" through solid materials) isn't the best cinematic power. At least it requires more creativity to fill a 90 minute film, unlike the more modular superheroes like Iron Man with his many gadgets or Spider Man with his varied powers.
Development hell? Ah, so they were at least trying to do a Wonder Woman movie, eh? That's something I guess.

Still, even if they're harder to do than your vanilla Superman, Batman, and whatnot, you'd think they'd be able to come up with something for big-name characters like those two before turning to more minor characters. Using more minor characters will probably mean they'll have a harder time reaching big audiences with it, since there's little to no name recognition among the general public. Heck, I'd expect that even guys like Aquaman or Hawkman would be considered before an obscure Cowboy hero like this Jonah Hex guy.

Zevox

Xondoure
2009-09-19, 12:17 AM
I do believe what he actually meant was that the sale would screw up Marvel's movie deals with rival company Fox.

Ah, that could be a problem, but like I said, Disney usually does very well then working with this kind of thing. Although there is precedence for the Fox thing, with Studio Ghibli. There however, it was just subbing, so yes, that could well become a major issue... wasn't there something about Marvel; being aloud to keep any current contracts?

kpenguin
2009-09-19, 12:24 AM
Well, Jonah Hex has got Megan Fox in it. I suspect that'll draw in crowds enough. It'll probably be less special-effects intensive and expensive than a standard superhero movie as well.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 12:31 AM
I'm just waiting on a Flash, Blue Beetle *Any of the three would be cool*, JSA, or Teen Titans *Current lineup please or Young Justice lineup*.

WitchSlayer
2009-09-19, 02:20 AM
I'm if DC Comics becoming DC Entertainment means that they'll finally put out a good, modern Superman movie and change people's common held opinion about Superman sucks.

Or they'll just let Superman: UNLEASHED put through the box office. Ooh and he can wear a black costume and trenchcoat like in Smallville!

I'm not bitter at all. I think The Dark Knight actually kind of ruined DC's comic book movie prospects. Not only does Nolan insist on keeping "realism" in the Batman movies, a character who fights villains like Mr. Freeze, Clayface and the like, but with the success of TDK the execs are going to think that gritty = $$$

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 02:27 AM
I know, it makes me rage so ****ing much that they think gritty and realism is the way to go and getting my Shazam movie canned.. All so makes me rage that Nolan has the dumb **** idea that Robin, Catwoman, and Penguin are unrealistic concepts.

Lord Seth
2009-09-19, 02:32 AM
Not only does Nolan insist on keeping "realism" in the Batman movies, a character who fights villains like Mr. Freeze, Clayface and the like, but with the success of TDK the execs are going to think that gritty = $$$Except he hasn't fought Mr. Freeze or Clayface in either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight (heck, I don't think Clayface was in a single Batman movie even if we count the pre-Batman Begins movies). Claiming "in this continuity this is true, so it must be true for all other continuities!" doesn't make sense.

(bolded emphasis mine)

WitchSlayer
2009-09-19, 02:57 AM
Except he hasn't fought Mr. Freeze or Clayface in either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight (heck, I don't think Clayface was in a single Batman movie even if we count the pre-Batman Begins movies). Claiming "in this continuity this is true, so it must be true for all other continuities!" doesn't make sense.

(bolded emphasis mine)

I know he hasn't fought Clayface or Mr. Freeze, that's the point. He's not SUPPOSED to be realistic but Nolan wants to try to make him so, despite the fact that even Nolan's Batman movies have some very unrealistic thinks, like the cellphone radar.

pita
2009-09-19, 03:48 AM
HBO was working on a show but stopped because of the whole ending, beginning, and middle bits that they were afraid would offend people. More than normal HBO shows do, I mean.

I believe that was more to do with being aimed at kids than it was about religion in general. Preacher would probably fall more in line with Constantine: some would like it, most would say RUINED FOREVER, meanwhile the parents would stay in the dark because it's R and Hollywood can do whatever it feels like there.
A lot of the complaints about Watchmen were that it wasn't suitable for kids. I remember a lot of reviews saying that superhero movies should be family movies and that Watchmen was horrifying. One of their kids even asked "What are lesbian whores?" If you write "Based on the graphic novel by whoever (In this case Garth Ennis and my favorite artist, Steve Dillon. The guy should be drawing every comic book in existence), parents are going to take their kids to see it because "It's a comic book! It's for kids!" Unless it's HBO produced, in which case everyone knows HBO=Adult, it'll be confused for a kid's movie. Even if it's rated X.

In any case, I disagree with a lot of what was said in the first post. Iron Man wasn't anywhere near dark and gritty and in my opinion it's quite simply the best comic book movie ever (That includes TDK and Watchmen). It was even somewhat realistic without being dark and gritty. It was also, I believe, successful. Comic book movies will never become completely dark and gritty until parents stop thinking that comic books are for kids. Luckily (or unluckily), people are complete gibbering morons who will never let go of a perfectly bad notion. There will always be lighter comic book movies, and there will always be darker ones.
And Deadpool will be awesome. If Ryan Reynolds is half the fan he claims to be, and does half the things he claims he's doing, then it will be amazing, and may even have me forgiving the guys who made Wolverine for taking the Merc With The Mouth's mouth.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-19, 04:06 AM
IIRC I have heard people say that in the next Hulk film they would decide if he's good Hulk or bad Hulk. Then after the Iron Man, Cap America and Thor films they're going to do an Avengers film where Hulk will either be an ally or the big bad, depending on the second film.

Of course this could all have been fiction from the start, or have been an idea they're no longer using.

Finn Solomon
2009-09-19, 04:59 AM
Well, Jonah Hex has got Megan Fox in it. I suspect that'll draw in crowds enough. It'll probably be less special-effects intensive and expensive than a standard superhero movie as well.

If that's true I'm no longer going to see it. I can't stand that vapid, vacuous, overexposed joke of an "actress."

I can't wait for Thor and Captain America. The OP couldn't be more wrong. This is the boom period for good, successful comic book movies.

Bhu
2009-09-19, 05:29 AM

Given this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6173399/Charles-Darwin-film-too-controversial-for-religious-America.html

I doubt Preacher will ever be made, at least not here.

Bhu
2009-09-19, 05:32 AM
If that's true I'm no longer going to see it. I can't stand that vapid, vacuous, overexposed joke of an "actress."

I can't wait for Thor and Captain America. The OP couldn't be more wrong. This is the boom period for good, successful comic book movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800369/

Apparently Kirks Dad is playing Thor. Natalie Portman is the love interest.

Finn Solomon
2009-09-19, 05:33 AM
Miss Portman! Now, that's what you call an actress. Speaking of which, I lament the loss of Emily Blunt for the portrayal of Black Widow. Scarlett Johansson's pretty, but she's not on Miss Blunt's level.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 05:55 AM
I for one am glad Preacher isn't getting a movie or series, seriously it's terrible and pretty much the start of Ennis turning to crap. Now if Hitman, especially the Superman/Hitman or JLA/Hitman issues was to get made into a movie I would buy ten tickets.

pita
2009-09-19, 06:10 AM
Iron Man 2 has Edward Norton in it as Bruce Banner.
I'm going to assume that Iron Man will be the Avengers movie series.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 06:22 AM
Yup. SO far the team lineup is Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Cap. So the original team exact. All so the Cap movie is most likely going to end with him being frozen after he helps win WWII.

Talya
2009-09-19, 07:22 AM

Someone missed my thread a few days ago!

Why Disney buying Marvel is a very good thing for the future of Marvel Comics Animated Movies/Television (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124605)

Okay, so that's just animated stuff.

We've still got:
Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk 2, and The Avengers to look forward to.

On the DC front, I lament that Joss Whedon dropped out of the live action Wonder Woman movie in production, he could have done it perfectly.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-09-19, 08:34 AM
Miss Portman! Now, that's what you call an actress.

Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo; so long ago when there was nothing but our love.

No offense, but Portman is a pretty rubbish actress nine times out of ten. She needs an incredibly solid director in order to do any good. There are better female actresses who would probably be a better fit, but unfortunately don't have the "star power" or "geek pull" that Natalie does.

bosssmiley
2009-09-19, 09:06 AM
Wake me up when "The Authority" movie comes out. That would offend everyone; comic geeks and moronic righteous alike. :smallamused:

Until then it's just going to be more extruded movie-like comic product slopping off the production line (eg: another bloody Punisher film, [insert film here] 2, the ongoing rape of Alan Moore's back catalogue, etc.)

Finn Solomon
2009-09-19, 09:12 AM
No offense, but Portman is a pretty rubbish actress nine times out of ten. She needs an incredibly solid director in order to do any good. There are better female actresses who would probably be a better fit, but unfortunately don't have the "star power" or "geek pull" that Natalie does.

Ah well, the abomination that was the Star Wars prequels puts everybody to shame. Except Sam Jackson though.

Natalie Portman has had excellent performances in V and Closer, and I hope she brings her A game to the tale of Thor.

Starscream
2009-09-19, 09:25 AM
That name does sound familiar, actually. I wonder if...

...oh Great Cthulu, I have heard of them. From Linkara (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/7134-youngblood), a guy who does video reviews of bad comic books on That Guy With the Glasses.com. And they were among the worse ones he's reviewed. Damn, how did they manage to get a movie?

I love Linkara's reviews. I don't think he's responded to the news of the Youngblood movie yet, but considering that he named a disease after the franchise, I don't think he'll be pleased.

Daremonai
2009-09-19, 09:35 AM
I'm not really a huge comics fan, so I'm just of the opinion that a good movie is a good movie, even if it strays from the source material (and, of course, a bad movie is still a bad movie even if it follows the source exactly). People's interpretations of things like that are far too cubjective anyway, particularly with the various setting reboots, reimaginings and whatnot that the big names have gone through over the years.

That said, if it were done properly I'd love to see a movie interpretation of Transmetropolitan. Unfortunately, every time I think about it, I just know that the studios will recast it as a romantic comedy about a boy-scout news reporter starring Jim Carrey in the lead role.

Catch
2009-09-19, 09:46 AM
It's worth mentioning that the third Batman-reboot film is on the horizon for 2011/2012. No word yet on Chistopher Nolan's involvement, but it's difficult to see another writer/director at the helm.

Talya
2009-09-19, 10:51 AM
Ah well, the abomination that was the Star Wars prequels puts everybody to shame. Except Sam Jackson though.

Avast, ye scabrous dog! Ye be forgettin' Ewan McGregor. Either that lad be channellin' th'spirit of Alec Guinness through the entire prequel trilogy, or I be not a pirate, savvy?

kpenguin
2009-09-19, 11:02 AM

Er... Ed Norton isn't in Iron Man 2. At least, if he is either he doesn't know about it or he's lying.

Yup. SO far the team lineup is Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Cap. So the original team exact. All so the Cap movie is most likely going to end with him being frozen after he helps win WWII.

Cap wasn't on the original lineup. He joined in the fourth issue.

jlvm4
2009-09-19, 11:32 AM
Looking over Dark Knight I just realized something. The Dark Knight is probably the most successful comicbook movie of all time, and it's alot more grim and gritty than the competition. From what I've heard the shazam film was cancelled for not being gritty enough

I think the problem isn't superhero movies per se, but which direction you wish to go with them. At the moment, hollywood has two: campy and dire. You either seem to get a hero that is so silly you laugh (rubber nipples, anyone?) or so dark it is truly an adult movie (such as the Dark Knight). Unfortunately, both these approaches don't work for large numbers of what had once been comic book's bread and butter: young adults and optimists :smallsmile:

Kids recognize camp faster than adults do, and don't like it. Though they will tolorate it better than adults. They also don't (and as a parent I don't) want to watch hopeless, 'gritty' reality. They get scared, they get sad, they get desensitized to it. The best superhero movies that balance the real (read: gritty) and the hope that so easily can slide into camp are nearly all animated and nearly all DC. The Teen Titans animated series (if you could get past the anime-ish redesign) was brilliant at this balance. Even the DC movies aimed at the teens rather than tween stage, like Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, were good at it. In GL's case, Training Day with softer edges. Marvel's offerings never quite got that plotting and pacing right.

As for those of us who grew up reading comics, I like believing in heroes. I like the idea that these guys might have flaws, but are predominantly good. I'm an optimist at heart and would like to think that evil is an abboration that can be faced and defeated by good without depressing the hell out of me in the process. As an adult I can appreciate the realism of the Comedian in Watchmen, but it's not something I want to see over and over in my entertainment. Which defines box-office success: not just seeing it once, but wanting to be with the characters over and over again. I wanted the 'hero' Comedian arrested and stopped, not to live into old age after he shot the vietnamese girl. It was just too dark and too gritty.

I don't need everything Star Trek: TNG, but lately it seems comic movies aren't considered 'good' comic movies unless the hero is nearly as problematic to root for and believe in as the bad guys. Comics went through a similar phase in the 90's driving my dropping most of my titles. I only started reading again after things got a little better.

Anyway, I think if they don't make movies for this middle-ground of people, it could be the end of comic book movies. Camp drives me crazy. I hated the Batman and Robin movie, though I loved both **** Greyson and Tim Drake as Robin, so it should have been an 'easy win.' And while I liked the Dark Knight and Watchmen, it's not something I felt good enough about to either own or watch over again. I also would never take my kids to either. Give me something thoughtful, something good, and you'd sell a lot more tickets.

Just my 2 cents.

:smallbiggrin:BTW: Love the way Nightwing's first name gets bleeped out

kpenguin
2009-09-19, 11:35 AM
Who's **** Greyson? Its spelled **** Grayson

Tyrant
2009-09-19, 12:29 PM
Doesn't that only effect XMen (I liked what has come out so far, some more than others), Fantastic Four (will having a redo on these really upset anyone?), and Daredevil (A, do they even still own this and B, does anyone really expect a part 2 any time soon?). I assume Elektra is there with Daredevil but I don't think an Elektra 2 is on anyone's radar. Also, I would assume any current contracts would need to be honored.

I'm if DC Comics becoming DC Entertainment means that they'll finally put out a good, modern Superman movie and change people's common held opinion about Superman sucks.

Or they'll just let Superman: UNLEASHED put through the box office. Ooh and he can wear a black costume and trenchcoat like in Smallville!

I'm not bitter at all. I think The Dark Knight actually kind of ruined DC's comic book movie prospects. Not only does Nolan insist on keeping "realism" in the Batman movies, a character who fights villains like Mr. Freeze, Clayface and the like, but with the success of TDK the execs are going to think that gritty = $$$
DC has no one to blame but themselves for their current situation. They are owned by WB and they can't get movies made? They spend in excess of $200 million on a Superman movie that doesn't know if it wants to be a remake of a 20 some odd year old movie or a sequel to said movie. On top of that, $200 million apparently can't buy a real villain for him to actually fight (I like Lex and I even liked Spacey's portrayal but come on, where are his others villains he can actually fight) so he just lifts things and uses his powers to stalk Lois. As fo Nolan, he's at least getting results. I can live the rest of my life without seeing a Batman movie featuring Robin again, honestly. Should all of their movies be grim and gritty, no. Should Batman, probably. He is afterall just a guy fighting criminals in the Gotham underworld. That isn't exactly going to be rainbows and sunshine unless we're proposing a remake of the Adam West days. I'm not saying Batman should be R level material, but he shouldn't really be all that kid friendly either. He fights psychotics in costumes who kill people for fun, or money, or both. I am not sure what about that screams kid's plot.

I think Marvel, for the most part, knows what they are doing. Iron Man was great. The only thing I really want to see in a future Iron Man movie is how they handle the Mandarin. The newer Hulk movie was a huge improvement (in terms of what I expected to see) over the original. To be fair, the other was well made (in most respects) it just wasn't what people were expecting (the Hulk smashing lots of things). I think of their upcoming movies, Thor is the only one to be concerned about. I don't know if audiences today will go in for what I am expecting. I'll see it and probably enjoy it, I just don't know about other people. Captain America should be easy to make if they go with the WWII version and have him get frozen in the end. The only other challenge will be bringing everything together for The Avengers.

DC on the other hand, has been rumbling about a Justice League movie since at least Superman Returns and probably a lot farther back than that. So far, nothing. Sad for a company owned by a movie studio and that shows they know what they are doing in the animated department. I think for Superman they just need to take a clean break from what they have done so far. We don't need another origin movie. A large percentage of the people on the planet know his backstory so don't give us a third origin movie. Just jump in and take off with something resembling recent continuity (Lex as an evil corporate type, maybe have Intergang in there, etc) and a real villain. Maybe Metallo (though that brings us back to using kryptonite all the time), or set up a series and have characters from Apokolips invade as a prelude to an eventual fight with Darkseid.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 02:39 PM
For a Superman movie Whats So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way would be good, especially for this scene

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx246/haketh2/Comics/1253256189739.jpg

For the Man who has Everything would make a great movie though they'd have to deal with Alan Moore for that one.

chiasaur11
2009-09-19, 02:42 PM
Cap wasn't on the original lineup. He joined in the fourth issue.

Yup, and The Hulk left at the end of issue 2.

Which makes sense. Big Green isn't exactly a team player.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 03:10 PM
Yup, and The Hulk left at the end of issue 2.

Which makes sense. Big Green isn't exactly a team player.
True, but it depends on which Hulk. All ways wanted to see Fixit or Smart Hulk on the Avengers.

darkblade
2009-09-19, 03:24 PM
True, but it depends on which Hulk. All ways wanted to see Fixit or Smart Hulk on the Avengers.

I'd personally prefer to never see Fixit or Smart Hulk anywhere ever.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 05:11 PM
I'd personally prefer to never see Fixit or Smart Hulk anywhere ever.
Your the first person I've seen who doesn't like Fixit. How do you feel about the Green Scar out of curiosity?

Yora
2009-09-19, 05:29 PM
Avast, ye scabrous dog! Ye be forgettin' Ewan McGregor. Either that lad be channellin' th'spirit of Alec Guinness through the entire prequel trilogy, or I be not a pirate, savvy?

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan concentrate 95% of all three films quality on themselves. They are really the movies only saving grace.
With Obi-wan, even the scenes with Anakin can be kinda cool ^^

warty goblin
2009-09-19, 05:38 PM
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan concentrate 95% of all three films quality on themselves. They are really the movies only saving grace.
With Obi-wan, even the scenes with Anakin can be kinda cool ^^

It's why theMustafar part of Episode III is worth rewatching over and over and over...Anakin gets the snot pounded out of him, and Obi-Wan opens an epic can of Obi-Wanitude all over everything.

darkblade
2009-09-19, 06:41 PM
Your the first person I've seen who doesn't like Fixit. How do you feel about the Green Scar out of curiosity?

I assume by "Green Scar" you mean Hulk's Planet Hulk/World War Hulk form. Well aside from him supposedly being at the height of rage but talking like one of the smarter forms after watching too many Conan movies he was awesome.

WitchSlayer
2009-09-19, 06:56 PM
For a Superman movie Whats So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way would be good, especially for this scene
SNIP
For the Man who has Everything would make a great movie though they'd have to deal with Alan Moore for that one.

Would be good, but if I were to do a Superman movie, I would probably adapt Geoff Johns' Brainiac. Have a brief origin a-la All-Star Superman or the beginning of Up Up and Away, then lead into the main story. After a Justice League movie then you could make a Superman: What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way, probably with some added on bits on both ends to lengthen it. Wouldn't know what to do for a third movie.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 07:00 PM
Johns Brainiac would be a good one, and man would it be baaw worthy in the end.

Faceist
2009-09-19, 07:09 PM
IIRC I have heard people say that in the next Hulk film they would decide if he's good Hulk or bad Hulk. Then after the Iron Man, Cap America and Thor films they're going to do an Avengers film where Hulk will either be an ally or the big bad, depending on the second film.

Of course this could all have been fiction from the start, or have been an idea they're no longer using.They could still make him the Big Bad in a Frankensteins monster way, by playing up the whole "misunderstood monster" angle and having the Avengers repeatedly interupt his privacy and thus earn his ire, I guess.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-09-19, 08:53 PM
I've heard they are working on another Superman movie, subtitled The Man of Steel. Not sure if it's going to be a sequel or a retelling.

I've also heard that they are slowly working on a Justice League movie. And from what I've heard, confirmed characters include Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman.

The thing about most of the popular DC characters is that they wouldn't make a good movie by themselves. But, I could see a good one being done with a few characters thrown in together.

They are currently filming Spider-man number 4, same director. I've heard that they plan on having six total. I really think that's too much.

I've also heard rumors of plans of a Dr. Strange movie. Not sure if that'll work out.

I've also heard that they'll have a Nick Fury movie. I really hope not.

Bhu
2009-09-19, 09:40 PM

Considering the reports that her new film "Black Swan" is supposed to include her and Mila Kunis having 'angry lesbian sex' I'm sure her geek pull will only increase...

Vic_Sage
2009-09-19, 09:46 PM
Alot of the most popular DC characters could easily make a good movie by themselves. Even Aquaman *Aquaman has got to be the most unnecessarily dumped on character ever*

Faulty
2009-09-19, 10:10 PM
EDIT: They're getting a metal band to do the score? For a film based on a Old West themed comic book? Hmmm...

Mastodon is a pretty capable band.

Considering the reports that her new film "Black Swan" is supposed to include her and Mila Kunis having 'angry lesbian sex' I'm sure her geek pull will only increase...

Stuff like this makes me hate geeks.

WitchSlayer
2009-09-19, 10:15 PM
Saving comic book movies is simple.
We kill the Batman...
Movies.

chiasaur11
2009-09-19, 10:19 PM
Saving comic book movies is simple.
We kill the Batman...
Movies.

Why?

They're good.

warty goblin
2009-09-19, 10:28 PM
Why?

They're good.

Didn't see Dark Knight, but Batman Begins left me entirely apathetic. My major thought on the matter was that if that was a good superhero movie, standards need to be raised.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a bit if superhero movies dropped off the radar almost entirely. The last one I think I really enjoyed was the first Spiderman movie- well, and V for Vendetta but I'm not sure that counts as a superhero movie.

Zevox
2009-09-19, 10:32 PM
*Aquaman has got to be the most unnecessarily dumped on character ever*
Eh, I don't know about that. His powers are kind of lame. Generic improved physical abilities, the ability to breath underwater, plus the ability to talk with sea creatures. Meh. You can do better than that with water-themed heroes - hell, I don't even know any animal-themed heroes who have "talk with animals" as their primary power. Or even have that power at all, now that I think of it, although that may be because I only know all of three or so animal themed heroes.

Plus, if his incarnation in the Justice League cartoons is any indication, he's kind of a jackass.

Zevox

leafman
2009-09-19, 10:54 PM
That's probably the best angle approach an Aquaman movie at though. Orin, King of Atlantis should hate us surfacers for what we do to the creatures of the sea and how we tend to treat the planet in general.

Movie Concept:

Scene opens at night, camera slowly zooms in on a lone fishing vessel. Something slams into the side of the boat, rocking it hard, then again from the other side. Suddenly the boat is sucked under the water's surface. Fade to morning and transition to coastal city. A news report is playing on a t.v., talking about numerous mysterious disappearance of fishing vessels all over the planet. Reporter mentions that there are theories that all the disappearances are connected.

Basically the movie would make Aquaman out to be the bad guy in the beginning, as begins his war on the surface for poaching his subjects and polluting his waters. Once we learn why he is doing what he is doing, we begin to realize that we are the bad guy in truth.

The only thing that would ruin the movie would be if it focused more on being preachy about environmentalism than showing us how awesome Aquaman can really be.

Starscream
2009-09-20, 02:12 AM
Eh, I don't know about that. His powers are kind of lame.

This put it all in perspective for me:http://i44.tinypic.com/oshgfp.jpg

WitchSlayer
2009-09-20, 02:18 AM
He survives at the bottom of the ocean. With that much waterpressure his durability must be insane, as should be his strength. And he mentally controls fish, he doesn't talk to them. Also, I say kill the Batman movies for one reason: The rule of 3s. The third superhero movie sequel always sucks. ALWAYS. I have not seen an exception to it.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-20, 03:30 AM
This put it all in perspective for me:http://i44.tinypic.com/oshgfp.jpg
He actually did something similar to that. An Elder evil had risen from the Ocean so Arthur basically said **** YOU! went off and got a bigger Elder Evil and had it beat the **** out of the other one.

pita
2009-09-20, 04:55 AM

The fact is that Natalie Portman is an excellent actress, and no one could act in Star Wars. The set was entirely a green screen. No actor can pull off acting when there's absolutely nothing to interact with except possibly another actor. Maybe.
If you want to critique Portman's acting, watch V for Vendetta. Watch The Other Boleyn Girl (Is that the name?).
It's like saying that M. Night Shyamalan is a bad director after only watching Girl in the Water (Again, not sure if that's the name). He's become crap in the past few years, but Unbreakable was an amazing movie. So was The Sixth Sense.

chaosgirl
2009-09-20, 05:03 AM
Eh, I don't know about that. His powers are kind of lame. Generic improved physical abilities, the ability to breath underwater, plus the ability to talk with sea creatures.

The best way for him to get the respect he deserves is to change his name to "captain seizure"

Starscream
2009-09-20, 02:56 PM
The fact is that Natalie Portman is an excellent actress, and no one could act in Star Wars. The set was entirely a green screen. No actor can pull off acting when there's absolutely nothing to interact with except possibly another actor. Maybe.

Especially when the other actor is Hayden Christensen. She'd have been better off talking to one of those foam balls on a stick they use so the actors can make eye contact with CG. Love scenes with Watto would have had more romantic chemistry.

Yora
2009-09-20, 03:02 PM
Also, it's said that Lucas is a director, who doesn't give any directions.

Ever wondered why the second and third Star Wars films and Indiana Jones had so much better acting? That's why!

warty goblin
2009-09-20, 03:35 PM
He survives at the bottom of the ocean. With that much waterpressure his durability must be insane, as should be his strength. And he mentally controls fish, he doesn't talk to them. Also, I say kill the Batman movies for one reason: The rule of 3s. The third superhero movie sequel always sucks. ALWAYS. I have not seen an exception to it.

Slight correction- he survives both on the surface and at the bottom of the ocean, therefore his durability must be through the roof. Simply surviving on the bottom of the ocean, from a durability perspective, is little harder than surviving anywhere else. Organisms simply maintain internal pressure equal to external, so the net pressure on them is zero. That's why deep sea fish rupture when brought to the surface and surface dwellers squash when submerged too deeply.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-20, 03:47 PM
Arthur can take punches from Supes and John Jonzz so he is a wee bit tough.

TengYt
2009-09-20, 03:57 PM
Aquaman has the power to control everything that lives in water. Do you know just how big the ocean is?

WitchSlayer
2009-09-20, 04:20 PM
He can MENTALLY COMMAND CANDIRU :smalleek: and if you don't know what that is then don't look. You'll thank me.

Lord of Syntax
2009-09-20, 04:28 PM

me liek meegon fgioxc

Closet_Skeleton
2009-09-20, 04:30 PM
Also, it's said that Lucas is a director, who doesn't give any directions.

Actually he gives too much, when he isn't just the editor whose pretending to be the director.

Ever wondered why the second and third Star Wars films and Indiana Jones had so much better acting? That's why!

RotJ has terrible acting + Ian McDiarmid.

kpenguin
2009-09-20, 04:41 PM

Well, apparently her role is only a cameo, despite her being plastered on to the movie poster.

WitchSlayer
2009-09-20, 07:41 PM
Megan Fox sells tickets. Also by the looks of it she's playing an appropriate role for her... talent. Now Mastodon doing the soundtrack is what I question.

Cracklord
2009-09-20, 08:30 PM
Well, I just hope they make an Aquaman movie.

The Glyphstone
2009-09-20, 08:32 PM
It might be the only way he gets his reputation redeemed...

chiasaur11
2009-09-20, 08:34 PM

He got a notable boost from Brave and the Bold.

"Outrageous!"

Vic_Sage
2009-09-20, 08:46 PM
Or you know people could actually read his damn comics instead of going off of a cartoon that hasn't ever been relevant.

chiasaur11
2009-09-20, 08:58 PM
Or you know people could actually read his damn comics instead of going off of a cartoon that hasn't ever been relevant.

That's crazy person talk!

Cracklord
2009-09-20, 09:04 PM

[sarcasm]Right. Why don't you just go sit in the corner and let people who actually know what they are talking about discuss things:smallwink:[/sarcam]

Actually, I think the comics got pretty bad once they gave him a sidekick who was quite possibly more powerful then him. And he gets reconned so often that at least the Brave and the Bold is consistant.

kpenguin
2009-09-20, 09:40 PM
Superfriends isn't relevant? Don't tell that to Alex Ross.:smalltongue:

Vic_Sage
2009-09-20, 10:28 PM
{Scrubbed}

pita
2009-09-21, 01:31 AM
Especially when the other actor is Hayden Christensen. She'd have been better off talking to one of those foam balls on a stick they use so the actors can make eye contact with CG. Love scenes with Watto would have had more romantic chemistry.

I don't think Christensen is a bad actor. I think he was suffering from the same thing. He also hates the new Star Wars movies. The only good actors in the movies are the CGI ones, because those actually can react to their environment. Also, Yoda fighting.

Bhu
2009-09-21, 01:48 AM

All he really needs is for the writers to make him get ______ off once and go on a rant instead of sitting in the background.

(Warning: Following example rant may be out of date as it's been a long time since I read DC comics):

"You guys think you're so damn special just cause you have so many fanboys? Well let me tell you something. I don't have fanboys. I have a wife. A hot wife upon whom I have sired children. The rest of you have fawning, platonic, un-consummated relationships with people you one day deign to so much as kiss you. I get laid more in the average year than the rest of you all together do in your entire lives with the possible exception of Bruce. So while the rest of you in the JLA retreat to your lonely pain filled lairs that serve as reminders of your tragic hollow existence, I'm going home to the kingdom I rule and plow my significant other. See you next Tuesday if I have any energy left."

Cracklord
2009-09-21, 08:22 PM
"You guys think you're so damn special just cause you have so many fanboys? Well let me tell you something. I don't have fanboys. I have a wife. A hot wife upon whom I have sired children. The rest of you have fawning, platonic, un-consummated relationships with people you one day deign to so much as kiss you. I get laid more in the average year than the rest of you all together do in your entire lives with the possible exception of Bruce. So while the rest of you in the JLA retreat to your lonely pain filled lairs that serve as reminders of your tragic hollow existence, I'm going home to the kingdom I rule and plow my significant other. See you next Tuesday if I have any energy left."

You must write the comics.
It is obviously what god put you on this world to do. You could not have made it clearer. But be quick.

or maybe I'll hafta make a case for DC to let me write Aquaman. I mean, it's not the worst thing that could happen to the poor guy, right? Aheh.

Because if this happens, the death knell has sounded.

xanaphia
2009-09-21, 08:26 PM
The Economist has an article on this. (http://www.economist.com/people/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13782238)

chiasaur11
2009-09-21, 08:41 PM
All he really needs is for the writers to make him get ______ off once and go on a rant instead of sitting in the background.

(Warning: Following example rant may be out of date as it's been a long time since I read DC comics):

Kent is happily married, and both Flashes had kids.

Twins in both cases.

Just keeping the information up to date.

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 09:30 PM
Kent is happily married, and both Flashes had kids.

Twins in both cases.

Just keeping the information up to date.

Although I can't think that sex with somebody named 'Flash' is likely to be all that good. Superman's another thing altogether though.

Cracklord
2009-09-21, 09:53 PM
What, faster then a speeding bullet?

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 09:57 PM
What, faster then a speeding bullet?

Yeah, but he's got stamina.

Tyrant
2009-09-21, 09:58 PM
Yeah, but he's got stamina.
If nothing else, maybe light speed recharge time?

warty goblin
2009-09-21, 10:01 PM
If nothing else, maybe light speed recharge time?

Come to think of it, he probably doesn't even need that. I mean, when you can have bullets bounce off of your eyeballs without flinching, other sensations probably don't register.

Man, no wonder Supes isn't much of a playa.

Tyrant
2009-09-21, 10:12 PM
Come to think of it, he probably doesn't even need that. I mean, when you can have bullets bounce off of your eyeballs without flinching, other sensations probably don't register.

Man, no wonder Supes isn't much of a playa.
Didn't think of it that way. Maybe Aquaman does have it better than the others.

Yulian
2009-09-21, 10:14 PM

Looks like you don't have to wait very long.

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/sep/21/meatballs-triumph-over-jennifers-body.htm

Hee.

$6.8 million take in 3 days for a $16 million film. This thing will barely break even, if that. 43% at Rotten Tomatoes.

But as for comic films, I think it's just that we're seeing so many of them, of course there's going to be more crap. Like any genre, it will settle out with time, and maybe we'll see more original stuff again once the Big Two get all their stuff up on screen and over with.

- Yulian

hamishspence
2009-09-22, 04:05 PM
which comics are overdue for a movie appearance?

a modern incarnation of Wonder Woman, a la Batman, might be one example.

The Incredible Hulk has already gone through two movie incarnations since the old seventies movies.

Yora
2009-09-22, 04:40 PM
I think the problem is, that lots of comics don't make good source material for anything.
I can't see what's supposed to be entertaining about Superman or whoever. Batman and X-Men get a litle bit of interest from me, but most american superhero-comics are just a number of badly drawn pictures with words that don't make sense.
I do like comics, there's a lot of really good stuff out there. But most seem to be french or japanese. Americans, not so much...

jmbrown
2009-09-22, 04:48 PM
I think the problem is, that lots of comics don't make good source material for anything.
I can't see what's supposed to be entertaining about Superman or whoever. Batman and X-Men get a litle bit of interest from me, but most american superhero-comics are just a number of badly drawn pictures with words that don't make sense.
I do like comics, there's a lot of really good stuff out there. But most seem to be french or japanese. Americans, not so much...

There are plenty of good American comics, you just have to avoid the Big Three (DC, Marvel, and Image) to find them. Just like every other form of visual and written media, the popular stuff isn't always the best stuff.

edit: that's not to say DC, Marvel, and Image don't put out good stuff but if you're not a fan of larger-than-life people duking it out there's undoubtly little material from them you'll end up liking. DC has the subsidary Vertigo for that very reason.

edit 2: I'm also happy to see lesser known comics getting Hollywood attention. The Amulet (http://www.boltcity.com/amulet/) is getting a film, you've got the super popular Scott Pilgrim (http://www.scottpilgrim.com/), Whiteout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteout_(2009_film)) was released (to terrible reviews which is a shame because the comic is good), Bone (http://www.boneville.com/) is getting a movie, Stardust (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/) was released to really positive reviews...

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 05:14 PM
There are plenty of good American comics, you just have to avoid the Big Three (DC, Marvel, and Image) to find them. Just like every other form of visual and written media, the popular stuff isn't always the best stuff.

edit: that's not to say DC, Marvel, and Image don't put out good stuff but if you're not a fan of larger-than-life people duking it out there's undoubtly little material from them you'll end up liking. DC has the subsidary Vertigo for that very reason.

edit 2: I'm also happy to see lesser known comics getting Hollywood attention. The Amulet (http://www.boltcity.com/amulet/) is getting a film, you've got the super popular Scott Pilgrim (http://www.scottpilgrim.com/), Whiteout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteout_(2009_film)) was released (to terrible reviews which is a shame because the comic is good), Bone (http://www.boneville.com/) is getting a movie, Stardust (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486655/) was released to really positive reviews...

Avoid the big 3?

Well, yeah, if you only read from them you're depriving yourself, but Marvel and DC have had some pretty ace stuff through the years. Avoiding them just cause they're all about the punching?

Fantastic Four #51 is still the best floppy in the history of the medium. And there's only one panel with a member of the team using his or her fantastic powers beyond the ken of man, and no punching.

Tyrant
2009-09-22, 05:27 PM

The big 3 do have books that aren't just about duking it out. They just might not ever make movies out of them. Like Superman:Red Son. Sure it has fights (a few anyway) but there's more to it than that. The same with Kingdom Come. Sure there are fights, but there's more there. The problem is that neither of those is likely to ever be made. Superman as a communist (Red Son) isn't likely to be considered a big seller by Hollywood and while a final, climactic battle of the heroes (Kingdom Come) would look fantastic (and cost more than the GDP of a few small countries) WB wouldn't kill off numerous heroes. I haven't read it yet myself, but I hear Marvels is good as well. I haven't read the old series (but I have read the newer incarnation) but Squadron Supreme might work based on what I know of the basic plot.

darkblade
2009-09-22, 05:44 PM

DO NOT get me started on Scott Pilgrim. Honestly Scott Pilgrim is everything everyone dislikes about Lucky Star with none of the positive aspects, worse art, completely random fantasy elements that seem to have no effect on the world beyond the main characters and then in transplanted into a purely cosmetic Toronto with no cultural or geographical features that you would expect to see in the biggest city in Canada (where I lived most of my life).

The movie seems to seek to make it even worse. Being filmed in Toronto but still avoiding showing the city as a whole and staring Michael Cera as the title character.

Michael Cera, one of the worst actors I have ever seen in my life. Enough to make me unable to sit comfortably through the otherwise quite entertaining Arrested Development and the pretty good movie Juno.

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 05:51 PM
DO NOT get me started on Scott Pilgrim. Honestly Scott Pilgrim is everything everyone dislikes about Lucky Star with none of the positive aspects, worse art, completely random fantasy elements that seem to have no effect on the world beyond the main characters and then in transplanted into a purely cosmetic Toronto with no cultural or geographical features that you would expect to see in the biggest city in Canada (where I lived most of my life).

Man. I have been getting into a lot of duels to the death lately.

I got an opening around six on October 17th. You good for it?

darkblade
2009-09-22, 06:28 PM
Man. I have been getting into a lot of duels to the death lately.

I got an opening around six on October 17th. You good for it?

I suppose it will suffice.

In other news there has been talk of Brian K. Vaughan writing screenplay versions of Y: The Last Man and Runaways. Y: The Last Man is awesome and has a simple enough premise that it could easily draw crowds. Runaways has a slightly more complex premise but is pretty much the most awesome thing printed in the last twenty or so years.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-22, 06:35 PM
I suppose it will suffice.

In other news there has been talk of Brian K. Vaughan writing screenplay versions of Y: The Last Man and Runaways. Y: The Last Man is awesome and has a simple enough premise that it could easily draw crowds. Runaways has a slightly more complex premise but is pretty much the most awesome thing printed in the last twenty or so years.
True dat on Runaways. Yeah Moore's arc *The Zombie one* wasn't that good *Which was shocking seeing how its Moore* but everything else has been good at least.

jmbrown
2009-09-23, 07:12 PM
The big 3 do have books that aren't just about duking it out. They just might not ever make movies out of them. Like Superman:Red Son. Sure it has fights (a few anyway) but there's more to it than that. The same with Kingdom Come. Sure there are fights, but there's more there. The problem is that neither of those is likely to ever be made. Superman as a communist (Red Son) isn't likely to be considered a big seller by Hollywood and while a final, climactic battle of the heroes (Kingdom Come) would look fantastic (and cost more than the GDP of a few small countries) WB wouldn't kill off numerous heroes. I haven't read it yet myself, but I hear Marvels is good as well. I haven't read the old series (but I have read the newer incarnation) but Squadron Supreme might work based on what I know of the basic plot.

Note how I said "little." I was originally going to say "If you don't like capes, stay away from the big 3." Personally, I care little for men in tights and super powered people in general unless it's something really, really special. Something well written like Kingdom Come or deconstructs the genre like Marvels. Omega the Unknown is probably my favorite "super hero" comic from 2007 and there's very few aspects that you'd expect to see in a superhero comic.

It's a nerdy love story with likeable characters. That's enough to hook me.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-09-23, 08:03 PM
There are plenty of good American comics, you just have to avoid the Big Three (DC, Marvel, and Image) to find them.

How is Image in a "big three" with DC and Marvel, when Marvel and DC are both far above Image in size and profits while Dark Horse often (since the end of the nineties) has a higher market share than Image? There's either a big two (just Marvel and DC) or a big four (Marvel, DC, Image and Darkhorse [with IDW being close enough to make a big five]).

darkblade
2009-09-23, 08:38 PM
How is Image in a "big three" with DC and Marvel, when Marvel and DC are both far above Image in size and profits while Dark Horse often (since the end of the nineties) has a higher market share than Image? There's either a big two (just Marvel and DC) or a big four (Marvel, DC, Image and Darkhorse [with IDW being close enough to make a big five]).

In Darkhorse usually gets left out because most of what it produces are not really superheroes. Being thought more of as a licensing house.

While Image grew out of projects that blatantly ripped off DC and Marvel titles just made to be XTREME and EDGEY that is where it started and what most people think when they hear the name.

jmbrown
2009-09-23, 10:10 PM

I can't find info on Dark Horse's last fiscal year but I could've sworn Image was worth more. Image sprung up in the 90s while everyone else was crashing and they've been going strong since. I lump the three together because everyone else I know, even professional comic book journalists, do it.

Old habbits die the hardest.

Holocron Coder
2009-09-25, 09:47 AM
Although I can't think that sex with somebody named 'Flash' is likely to be all that good. Superman's another thing altogether though.

Though, there's a description of him in Justice League along the lines of "like the entire track team, at once." :smalleek:

So.... :smallcool: