PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Alter Self & Monstrous Humanoids

Thurbane
2009-09-18, 11:30 PM
I've been pondering the possibilities of a Goliath Sorcerer (or Gish), and the usage he could get from Alter Self. I've been going through the books, trying to find good monstrous humanoid forms of 5HD or less. This is what I've found interesting so far:

Movement: centaur (50 ft), gargoyle (fly 60 ft), sahuagin (swim 60ft), armand (burrow 10 ft), boggle (cimb 30 ft), ophidian (climb 15 ft & swim 50 ft)

Natural Armor: yak folk (+7), khaasta (+6), blackscale lizardfolk (+7), sahuagin (+5)

Natural Attacks: gargoyle (2 claws, bite & gore), centaur (2 hooves), blackscale lizardfolk (2 claws & bite)

Large Size: centaur, blackscale lizardfolk, equiceph, yak folk

Bonus Feats: grimlock (track), sahuagin (multiattack), yuan-ti pureblood (alertness, blind fight), equiceph (endurance), thri-kreen (deflect arrows), whitespawn hordeling & greenspawn sneak (two weapon fighting)

Skill Bonuses: greenspawn sneak (+5 hide, bluff, move silently), boggle (+10 escape artist), ophidian (+8 climb, +10 hide in forest & undeground)

...anything good that I've missed?

Also, I have some questions too:

* Would a Goliath retain Powerful Build in alternate forms?

* If the new form is aquatic, does it allow the caster to breathe underwater?

* Would natural attacks include poison, such as that of the abeil vassal?

* The spell says forms with extra limbs don't allow you to make extra attacks - would that include the hooves of a centaur, or claws of a thri-kreen?

Nohwl
2009-09-20, 04:54 PM
there was a thread on gleemax listing the forms for alter self. here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871862/[35]Forms_for_Alter_Self) is the link.

kamikasei
2009-09-20, 05:00 PM
* Would a Goliath retain Powerful Build in alternate forms?

As a special quality, it should be retained.

* If the new form is aquatic, does it allow the caster to breathe underwater?

Yes. However, I'm not sure if it would still be able to breathe air. A creature with the Aquatic subtype can only breathe air if it has the Amphibious special quality, but you don't get special qualities of new forms, so be careful!