PDA

View Full Version : Raven in D&D? 3.5

Mystic Muse
2009-09-19, 12:34 AM
I'm looking for a class or two that would fit Raven from Teen titans. I'm guessing psion would work? I don't know since I don't have the expanded psionics handbook.

Grynning
2009-09-19, 12:39 AM
Wizard or Sorcerer. Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation cover most of what she does, and her flight and divination are easily covered by other spells.

Edit: Most of the EPH is in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/), under Psionic Rules.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-19, 12:44 AM
thanks! her and Gaara are probably the only caster type things I'll ever consider playing in 3.5

Grynning
2009-09-19, 12:45 AM
If you want Gaara, pick up Sandstorm and look at the Sand Shaper PRC. Not exactly the same, but very close.

Plus I believe that book has a bottle of endless sand as an item, which would be a must-have.

Fizban
2009-09-19, 03:41 AM
I'd only seen one episode of Teen Titans, and Raven was still just about the first character I thought of when I saw the warlock class. At-will blast, at-will flight, and you can easily crib Telekinetic Thrust for an invocation. There's a wall of force invocation in Dragon Magic as well.

Edit: assuming you're talking about the tv show version. I haven't read any of the comics, and after trying to compile a proper timeline to figure out what to read to follow the same characters, I don't think I'm going to *massive headache*

paddyfool
2009-09-19, 04:10 AM
List of abilities:
- Lots of mind-affecting stuff, primarily rooted in empathy
- Astral projection
- Flight
- Rebirth
- Healing
- soul-self shield
- manipulation & generation of shadows and darkness

Fluff: half-breed daughter of a human mother and an interdimensional demon.

So... Psion (telepath) with a highly modified version of the half-fiend template, perhaps? (Trigon being a long way from a D&D demon, it's more like she's the daughter of an evil demigod, although Divine Ranks don't really fit her abilities any better).

Grynning
2009-09-19, 04:50 AM
To me, sorcerer fits much better for fluff. Sorcerers come by magic naturally due to supernatural ancestry. Also, while Raven is "half-demon" she doesn't have any unusual physical traits from it, so no half-fiend template. In D&D terms, she'd be a lesser tiefling at most.

Also Raven's powers seem much more like spellcasting to me than psionics. There are spells to represent the mind affecting stuff, astral projection, and definitely for the shadowy stuff. Healing is the only one that's more difficult to do, but you can get those onto your spell list (with the right feats/PrC's) or out of an item if you really feel it's needed (I don't, healing in 3.5 is best left to divine characters, out of combat).

paddyfool
2009-09-19, 05:16 AM
Yeah... I've been thinking that perhaps making a modified Sorceror spell list quite similar to that for the Witch (Sorceror variant from the DMG) would fit pretty well. Take the Witch list, remove much of the nature and the polymorph spells, add Shadow Conjuration/Evocation, Darkness, Deeper Darkness, and Astral Projection and you've got a nice fit, ability wise.

As for the heritage... well, that's why I said "highly modified". You'd basically have to make up a whole new template, which would mainly grant mental stat boosts and the rebirth ability.

Fishy
2009-09-19, 05:53 AM
Shadowcaster is a terrible class, but it's very, very Raven. Pick things up and fling them around using bolts of pure darkness?

Mystic Muse
2009-09-20, 02:53 AM
one more question. Since being related to a major demon is a key part of Raven's background who could I reasonably use for this? or should I use just any god? or should I make something up entirely?

don't worry. The real version of my background won't be a complete complete ripoff of her background. just the joke version for my DM.:smallamused:

thubby
2009-09-20, 04:01 AM
one more question. Since being related to a major demon is a key part of Raven's background who could I reasonably use for this? or should I use just any god? or should I make something up entirely?

don't worry. The real version of my background won't be a complete complete ripoff of her background. just the joke version for my DM.:smallamused:

could make her a tiefling. or however that's spelled.

i vote wilder btw. all the powers of a psion but with an emotion control component.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-20, 04:17 AM
is Tiefling in the SRD? if not what book is it in?

also, I don't know about the emotion control part. I want this character to be based off Raven but not necesarrily a complete copy.

also I should ask. If you were a DM how would you rule emotion control? would that mean no emotion whatsoever and a completely unfeeling character? or simply don't let your emotions get out of control I.E. no extreme happiness, no horrible grieving, just feeling but not to an extreme?

also, what's wilder from and is it in the SRD?

FoE
2009-09-20, 04:18 AM
Is this Teen Titans from the cartoon or the comic? Her powers are somewhat different in both incarnations. In the cartoon, she was primarily a telekinetic; in the comic, she used her "soul-self" to render enemies unconsicious and sometimes show bad guys the truth of their actions, similar to the Ghost Rider's Penance Stare.

(Lousy teenagers ...)

Mystic Muse
2009-09-20, 10:05 AM
the cartoon.

Melamoto
2009-09-20, 10:08 AM
If you want Gaara, pick up Sandstorm and look at the Sand Shaper PRC. Not exactly the same, but very close.

When I first saw that PrC, Gaara was the first thing I thought of. It isn't just like Gaara, it is Gaara. My guess is that the class was actually based off of him.

Set
2009-09-20, 10:15 AM
The cartoon version is a Warlock.

Fell Flight, Flee the Scene, Eldritch Blasts and, as mentioned upthread, whip up some invocations for a Wall of Force type effect (that requires Concentration to maintain, and perhaps has a Hardness/HP score equal to a shield of adamantine, since it is breakable, only by things are ridiculously tough?) and a telekinetic type effect. (Or cheat and get a Ring of Telekinesis, ASAP.)

The comic book version probably would be done up as a Psion of some sort, although I don't know enough about Psions to offer advice there. (The comic version didn't have any of that darkforce stuff, and could heal, sense and manipulate emotions, teleport and send out her soul-self to astrally project, or zap people with some sort of calm emotions / hold person type effect. She sometimes floated above the ground while meditating, but didn't, until later when she gained some new powers, actually fly, and never threw dark energy or force fields or telekinetic stuff around.)

The cartoon version is much more mechanically simple to use, as the comic version was very passive in nature (healing battery and team transport, with some detection utility).

thubby
2009-09-20, 12:57 PM
is Tiefling in the SRD? if not what book is it in?

also, I don't know about the emotion control part. I want this character to be based off Raven but not necesarrily a complete copy.

also, what's wilder from and is it in the SRD?

tiefling is in the monster manual under planetouched, wilder is in the psionics book, both are in the srd.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-21, 10:48 PM
the only problem with Tiefling is a Wilder's key stat is Charisma and they get a charisma penalty.

Aasimar's on the other hand have a Charisma bonus............

think I could have an evil celestial as a father? could probably also get la down to 0 if I get rid of resistances.

Xallace
2009-09-21, 11:09 PM
Complete Mage has the Demonic Heritage feat tree, which is geared towards warlocks. If you go sorcerer, there's always that PrC from Heroes of Horror that builds you up to being a near half-fiend (EDIT: And the other Demonic Heritage feat tree from PHBII, geared towards sorcerers).

As for your lineage... isn't Trigon supposed to be the incarnation of hate? I believe that's Fraaz Ur'blu (or however you spell it) in D&D.

EDIT: Again. Nope, not Fraaz Urb'luu. Actually Kostchtchie.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-21, 11:26 PM
what's the extremely weird name guy from? and how in the nine hells do you pronounce his name?

Agrippa
2009-09-21, 11:53 PM
I don't know how to pronounce his name but he was created by Gary Gygax. At one point his son's party went up against the demon prince of deception. His son's character had his vorpal sword arbitrarily taken from him by the DM, his own father. The good guys still won and drove Fraaz Urb'luu back into the Abyss. Gary then apologized to his son and his friends and never drank alcohol from behind the DM's screen again.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-21, 11:57 PM
I meant kostchichie or whatever.

Agrippa
2009-09-22, 12:30 AM
Pronounce it cost-chit-chee. Also created by Gygax and named in honor of Koschei the Deathless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei).

kpenguin
2009-09-22, 01:36 AM
Isn't Raven's primary power empathy? It seems like some sort of psionic class would be more appropriate.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 11:24 AM
that's why I'm being a wilder.

Xallace
2009-09-22, 11:26 AM
Pronounce it cost-chit-chee. Also created by Gygax and named in honor of Koschei the Deathless (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei).

I had some vague inklings that might be true, thank you for confirming.

Person_Man
2009-09-22, 12:53 PM
Cartoon Raven can pretty much do anything that the plot demands with her magic, unless some other character has to overcome that particular challenge. For example, the Titans are often trapped or ambushed, and Raven forgets that she can teleport everyone. She briefly transports Dr. Light into a Cloak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloak_and_Dagger_(comics)) like dark dimension which leaves him catatonic, but she never uses this ability on any non-joke character. She can enter people's minds, but rarely does so when they actually need the truth from someone. She can stop freaking time, but only does so once.

I'm not complaining. It was an awesome cartoon, with a good mix of surrealism, humor, fight scenes, and character development. But of all the characters, Raven really translates the worst into any kind of rules based rpg.

Eldariel
2009-09-22, 02:07 PM
Cartoon Raven can pretty much do anything that the plot demands with her magic, unless some other character has to overcome that particular challenge. For example, the Titans are often trapped or ambushed, and Raven forgets that she can teleport everyone. She briefly transports Dr. Light into a Cloak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloak_and_Dagger_(comics)) like dark dimension which leaves him catatonic, but she never uses this ability on any non-joke character. She can enter people's minds, but rarely does so when they actually need the truth from someone. She can stop freaking time, but only does so once.

I'm not complaining. It was an awesome cartoon, with a good mix of surrealism, humor, fight scenes, and character development. But of all the characters, Raven really translates the worst into any kind of rules based rpg.

Isn't that pretty much just a Wizard holding back? Do whatever needs doing and let others take care of things when they can. Like, temporal manipulation (Teleport Through Time, anyone?), dimensional movement, teleportation, mind control, sounds exactly like a Wizard purposefully limiting herself to me. Alternatively Nomad with a dash of Telepath, but I think Wizard suits her power level better.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 02:14 PM
wouldn't Cyborg be the hardest to emulate? I mean he has all those tools and guns built inside him, he's an awesome mechanic and he constantly has plate armor attached to him.

Rixx
2009-09-22, 02:18 PM
I think Sorcerer would be the way to go. Especially since you can choose only theme-appropriate spells and powers, which is handy for flavor-heavy characters.

Person_Man
2009-09-22, 02:25 PM
Isn't that pretty much just a Wizard holding back? Do whatever needs doing and let others take care of things when they can. Like, temporal manipulation (Teleport Through Time, anyone?), dimensional movement, teleportation, mind control, sounds exactly like a Wizard purposefully limiting herself to me. Alternatively Nomad with a dash of Telepath, but I think Wizard suits her power level better.

Hmm. Maybe a ECL 17ish Wizard/Mindbender/Shadowcraft Mage, played by someone who doesn't understand the rules very well?

wouldn't Cyborg be the hardest to emulate? I mean he has all those tools and guns built inside him, he's an awesome mechanic and he constantly has plate armor attached to him.

Homebrew solution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6900315&postcount=3)?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-22, 02:27 PM
Please. Warforged Artificer ftw!

Robin is a Swordsage, Beastboy is a Wildshape Ranger, Raven is a Psion, and Starfire is a Warlock.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-22, 02:28 PM
Homebrew solution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6900315)?

that sounds like a pretty cool class. Might play it but definitely raven first.

9mm
2009-09-22, 02:39 PM
Raven is probably a fighter/drunken master with verious vile feats / champion of ruin material...

oh you mean the Teen Titans Raven... as in the cartoon Shadow Caster mostly. No idea how you'd mimic her empathic ablities in the comics.

Ravens_cry
2009-09-22, 02:51 PM
Raven is probably a fighter/drunken master with verious vile feats / champion of ruin material...

oh you mean the Teen Titans Raven... as in the cartoon Shadow Caster mostly. No idea how you'd mimic her empathic ablities in the comics.
Some dips in a psionic class, mayhap?

Thurbane
2009-09-22, 04:32 PM
I'm not that familiar with Raven (it's been decades since I read TT), but maybe a Binder would suit? Or maybe Anima Mage?