PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes

Demons_eye
2009-09-19, 12:53 AM
This game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Heroes), Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes, is a game me and my 2 friends played a while back. One of my friends wanted to get the game again and play but I suggested to get a newer one. Anyone know if they made a new one? or pending that a game for the 360/xbox that is akin to it?

I tryed to check the Atari site but I failed. Again any game like it or a newer game would help me alot. Thank you

shadowxknight
2009-09-19, 01:11 AM
Well I got a couple of games but unfortunately none for the xbox...

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and its sequel are hack and slash set in Forgotten Realms for the PS2. Demon Stone is also set in the Realms but its for PC and PS2.
Ya, that's all I got, not too big into xbox.

EDIT: I just did a wikipedia search, apparently Dark Alliance and DA2 are both for xbox. Heck in DA2 you can play as Drizzt and Artemis Entreri. Now I'm wondering why I never got it for the PS2.

Neo
2009-09-19, 03:42 AM
I've seen Dark Alliance for the Gamecube, therefore you can play it on the Wii.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-09-19, 08:20 AM
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
Too Human
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2

Those are all Hack & Slash multiplayer games I can think of on 360. I'm enjoying playing multiplayer with The Missus on M:UA2 right now, and did the same on M:UA, but you'll probably only like it if you're a fan of Marvel comics... or Deadpool. Deadpool makes everything better. Big bonus about them both having 4 player same console support.

Sacred 2 is a really enjoyable Diablo Clone that supports 2 player couch co-op, and, while alright single player, really shines in Multiplayer. It is the closest thing I can think of to something like D&D Heroes on the 360.

KuF:CoD is okay, but the main problem is it is single player unless you're playing online on seperate consoles. Plus it gets very boring very quickly IMO due to the slow-paced combat and for a hack & slash the pacing between combat really plods along.

Too Human is a "Love or Hate" game. I'm a fan of hack & slash "RPGs" *cough* similar to Diablo, where I get to kill droves of enemies for "teh phawt lewtz" and enjoy this game only because I got it on the cheap during a sale. Not worth full price, but really worth it if you can find it half price, and again a great multiplayer hack & slash that might suit what you're looking for on the 360. But, like KuF, you have to be on Live to play it multiplayer.

Those are all I can think of right now. If you weren't limited to the 360/Xbox I could probably add another 5-10 games to this list without pausing to think.

Demons_eye
2009-09-19, 08:23 AM
While I guess it does not have to be limited to 360/xbox it is the only systems we have. Name any others and I'll talk to my friends about getting a PS2 or WII.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-09-19, 10:59 AM
For PS2, there are two games off the top of my head I can think of that fit your needs perfectly. Champions of Norrath & its sequel, Return to Arms. They are to Everquest what D&D:Heroes was to Dungeons & Dragons.

You can also get both Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games and Demon Stone on the PS2. There are others as well, like Justice League: Heroes (comic books, again) and the Hunter: The Reckoning series which the first & third installment were on Xbox only, and the second, HtR: Wayward, was a PS2 exclusive oddly enough.

JMobius
2009-09-19, 01:04 PM
D&D Heroes was quite possibly my favorite Dungeon Hack of all on the original XBox. It is probably my favorite genre for co-op.

Unfortunately I've not found any entries on the 360 that hit the spot quite the same way D&D Heroes, Baldur's Gate, or Hunter did. The fantasy entries I've found tedious and bland, and I'm not really interested in Marvel. Unhappy camper. :/

Demons_eye
2009-09-19, 01:13 PM
That is how I am feeling at the moment. But we are still looking and if we find some thing I will give you a heads up.

Inhuman Bot
2009-09-19, 01:40 PM
I've never played it myself, but I've heard the game Champions of Norrath is similar to Baldur's gate: DA, but better.

Hzurr
2009-09-21, 02:16 PM
I'm also a big fan of D&D Heroes, and of the genre in general:

Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance - Stay as far away from the first one as you can. The 2nd is a lot of fun, and I have an absolute blast with it, but we (my friend and I who play these kinds of games together) got about a 1/3 of the way through the first one, before looking at each other and realizing that we weren't enjoying it. At all. Pick up the 2nd one for Xbox or Gamecube, but stay away from the first The one downside is that it's only 2 player co-op instead of 4

X-Men Legends 1 & 2 Again, stay away from the first one, because they break some of the cardinal rules of co-op hack-n-slash (i.e., limiting the game so that not all players can play at once. Sometimes you can have 4 people, sometimes only 1. This gets really frustrating). X-Men Legends 2 is fantastic (Nightcrawler For the Win!) and I definitely recommend picking it up.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 A continuation of the X-Men Legends games, and both good. (I'm in the process of playing through the 2nd, and am really enjoying it)

hamishspence
2009-09-21, 02:18 PM
I was wondering how the old arcade games like Shadow over Mystara are for D&D hack-and-slash?

I believe that its possible to play them on PCs with the right equipment- is so, has anyone done that and can say how good these games are?

Xenogears
2009-09-21, 02:20 PM
I've never played it myself, but I've heard the game Champions of Norrath is similar to Baldur's gate: DA, but better.

I had the exact opposite opinion of the two games. They play very similiar but I just found the Baldurs gate one so much more fun.

I'm also a big fan of D&D Heroes, and of the genre in general:

Baulder's Gate: Dark Alliance - Stay as far away from the first one as you can. The 2nd is a lot of fun, and I have an absolute blast with it, but we (my friend and I who play these kinds of games together) got about a 1/3 of the way through the first one, before looking at each other and realizing that we weren't enjoying it. At all. Pick up the 2nd one for Xbox or Gamecube, but stay away from the first The one downside is that it's only 2 player co-op instead of 4

X-Men Legends 1 & 2 Again, stay away from the first one, because they break some of the cardinal rules of co-op hack-n-slash (i.e., limiting the game so that not all players can play at once. Sometimes you can have 4 people, sometimes only 1. This gets really frustrating). X-Men Legends 2 is fantastic (Nightcrawler For the Win!) and I definitely recommend picking it up.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 A continuation of the X-Men Legends games, and both good. (I'm in the process of playing through the 2nd, and am really enjoying it)

I really liked Baldurs Gate 1 and X-men Legends 1. In fact I liked X-men legends 1 a lot better than 2...

Blue Paladin
2009-09-22, 11:14 AM
I always termed these kind of games as "beat-em-ups" rather than hack-n-slash... The basic idea is the same anyway.

Does Dynasty Warriors count? For X-Box 360 there's Dynasty Warriors 6, and for an anime version there's Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 1 & 2.

Optimystik
2009-09-22, 11:37 AM
I was wondering how the old arcade games like Shadow over Mystara are for D&D hack-and-slash?

I believe that its possible to play them on PCs with the right equipment- is so, has anyone done that and can say how good these games are?

If by right equipment you mean MAME, then yes they are quite playable on PC. I've tried them and they are standard arcade fare; obscenely difficult as a way of eating quarters (naturally, this isn't a problem on emulators.) It was somewhat fun but felt more like Final Fight with level-ups than an action-rpg.

Sacred 2 would be my recommendation as well. The little I managed to play of it still has me salivating for the full game, which I fully intend to pick up as soon as possible.

hamishspence
2009-09-22, 02:57 PM
How do emulators work- are they downloadable programs? And are the arcade games themselves downloadable?

Its nice to hear that the game is somewhat fun.

Blue Paladin
2009-09-23, 02:12 PM
[Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara] was somewhat fun but felt more like Final Fight with level-ups than an action-rpg.Well then Capcom succeeded, since they wanted to leave the beat-em-up field on a high note. D&D:SOM is probably my favorite arcade game of all time; I spent a summer and probably a hundred something dollars learning the ins and outs of the game. Got to the point where I could beat the game on a single credit using any of the characters (props to Luis who showed me how to time out sections as the Magic User). For most of the characters it's just a question of learning how and when to chain your command moves.

I have a friend who runs MAME on his computer, and I talked him into playing SOM once. He'd had the ROM but never tried the game before. We had a lot of fun. I don't know the details about MAME myself, but I don't think it should be that hard to figure out.

Vaynor
2009-09-23, 04:32 PM
Oh wow, I haven't played that game in ages. I remember it being very good though.