PDA

View Full Version : Second Level Divine Spells (PF/3.5)

Mauril Everleaf
2009-09-19, 01:47 AM
I need the best second level cleric spells for my Archivist. Also, other excellent first and second level spells to look for while adventuring would be awesome.

I talked to my DM tonight and any cleric spell is fair game and I can search for any other divine spells while adventuring, just not to start with.

I am planning on focusing on ranged buff spells and battlefield control. Thanks!

Kol Korran
2009-09-19, 02:55 AM
i don't know about "best", but there are a few nice ones in my opinion:
- the ability buffs are real nice. "owl's wisdom" might realy shine for you for battlefield control speslls, as it basically increases your DC by 2.
- from complete devine there are two great spells (IMO), one utalitary, one combative. the utalitary is divine Insight, which basically gives you huge bonus to ANY one skill check you make in the next few hours. needing bluff? that's your ticket. an obscure knowledge check? the same. sense motive, you got it. how about crucial save checks, such as escape artist, jump or the like? the same. the great thing about the spells is it's versatility- you choose what skill when the opportunity presesnts itself, and also- you cast it way ahead of time.
- i also really likeWaves of grief as a sreious debuffer. basically, close cone, will save negates, if failed each target get -3 to it's attacks and saves for 1r/ level. i am playing a clerci and this spells has saved us many times. it has only two downsides. first it's a cone, so you need to aim not to include your party memebrs. secondly it's fairly low level so the DC is fairly low. but it's fine for low -low/mid levels, and you can always boost it with ow'ls wisdom anyway.

note, i have very few books so my suggestion definetly doesn't span all possibilites, just personal favourites so far.

Kol.

Eldariel
2009-09-19, 04:10 AM
Darkbolt [Lords of Madness] is an insanely good level 2 Clr spell. Lesser Vigor [SC], Command & Resurgence is decent. Close Wounds [SC], Divine Insight [SC] and Guidance of the Avatar [Here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)] are all quite decent. For other spells, Entangle is the best level 1 control-spell any divine caster gets (other than getting stuff from Wizard-list), and Soften Earth and Stone is a great level 2 control-effect. Summon Nature's Ally-line is also great and something you should definitely get. Summon Monster-line isn't horrible either.

Glitterdust and Web are incredible if available (Web is on Adept spell list and Glitterdust is a Divine Bard-spell, so they should be) and Grease could be great if you got it from e.g. Divine Bard list.

jiriku
2009-09-19, 10:14 AM
+1 to close wounds. Ranged healing as an immediate action? Thank you!

It's probably rather obvious, but cure moderate wounds has value as well.

I use brambles extensively (it works well with bronzewood weapons).

If your heal skill is maxed out, healing lorecall is useful at higher levels - you can combine it with close wounds to remove negative status effects as an immediate action. Its duration is long enough to be cast prior to combat.

If you have the augment healing feat, remove paralysis is quite effective. Since it's a conjuration (healing spell), your augment buffs it, allowing you to heal four points of damage to up to to four targets at range with a second-level spell and making this your first access to AoE healing spells. Once augmented by augment healing, it's also eligible for use with healing lorecall, so with a single standard action you can give four allies a little healing, a new save against paralysis, and automatically dispel a variety of negative status effects.

AmberVael
2009-09-19, 10:38 AM
divine guidance, which basically gives you huge bonus to ANY one skill check you make in the next few hours.

The spell you're thinking of is Divine Insight. And I also heartily recommend that spell. Its very good.

Eldariel
2009-09-19, 11:30 AM
The spell you're thinking of is Divine Insight. And I also heartily recommend that spell. Its very good.

I think he's actually thinking of a combination of Divine Insight and Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a). Both are worth having; Guidance is Competence, Insight is (obviously) Insight together giving you +35 to any skill check you really need to make.