PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a Houdini, But Worse (3.5)

TroubleBrewing
2009-09-19, 04:09 AM
I've got a serious problem in a campaign I'm a player in, so what do I do? I turn to the forums for aid!

I'm currently a prisoner in a dungeon. The cell walls are made of walls of force, as the spell. The floor is stone, as is the ceiling. The cell is also the center of a constant anti-magic field, as the spell. I'm a tiny-sized monkey assassin 5/rogue 5 with a hand crossbow, a Heward's Handy Haversack, roughly 10,000 gp, a number of daggers, masterwork thieves tools, a few bells, a pair of cymbals, and a pineapple at my disposal.

Any ideas on how I could potentially escape?

Roc Ness
2009-09-19, 04:15 AM
Sorry, but your plight seems impossible to escape from. The most you could hope for is to try to dig at the ground with your thief's tools and hope it does something other than break the tools.

You're a monkey? :smallconfused:

ShadowFighter15
2009-09-19, 04:26 AM
...a few bells, a pair of cymbals, and a pineapple at my disposal...

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Cicciograna
2009-09-19, 04:32 AM
Can't see any way to exit this prison. Apart from the fact that I think that HHH is useless, since you're in an Antimagic field...otherwise i'd have suggested you to hide into the Haversack, wait for you guardians to notice that the prison is empty, enter the cell to look for you and then jumping out screaming as hell, throwing daggers against anything moving.
This plan won't work if your DM read this (http://www.sff.net/paradise/overlord.html).
The SRD lists the DC to squeeze through Wall of Force (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#escapeArtist), but being 120 I think that is a little out of your league...

charl
2009-09-19, 04:33 AM
What type of stone are we talking about here (for the floor)? It could be possible to wedge your daggers in between slabs of stone and thus lift them, and maybe somehow dig yourself out that way, possible using the cymbals as a spade if there's dirt underneath.

EDIT: And if that won't work, you could always hide in the HHH (which is inside the AMF basically just an ordinary backpack) and wait for your captors to freak out and turn of the forcefield. That's when you jump out and strike them with your sneak attacky goodness in their face.

Kol Korran
2009-09-19, 04:36 AM
are there guards? a jail warden? the arcane caster that created this thing? anyone? if not, then IMO you're screwed, but i'd take 20 on search checks and spot checks to tey and find ANYTHING that might be of use.

if there are other people there (and not just golems to guard you), then i suggest trying to somehow persuade them/ bluff them into letting you go, perhaps in return for some service you can provide (you're an assasin, right? and a very, very, very unexpected one at that). or perhaps bribe (10000 gp can mean quite a bit to many people, though the wrath of an arcane caster that create permenant walls of force may be worse).

not much of an advice, but it's all i've got. sorry.

Kol.

P.S. you really, really have to explain you playing a monkey, the bells, cymbals and pineapple. curious minds want to know!

JeminiZero
2009-09-19, 04:42 AM
I'm a tiny-sized monkey assassin 5/rogue 5 with a hand crossbow, a Heward's Handy Haversack, roughly 10,000 gp, a number of daggers, masterwork thieves tools, a few bells, a pair of cymbals, and a pineapple at my disposal.

A Houdini is when you escape using nothing. Since you have a bizzarre selection of seemingly random items, what you need to pull is a Macguyver instead.

How is air getting into your cell? Are the walls and floor airtight?

TroubleBrewing
2009-09-19, 05:09 AM
I'm playing an awakened animal. A monkey, specifically. I snuck into the castle of the ruling noble by pretending to be a performing monkey (hence the cymbals and bells). I was given the pineapple as a reward. I got caught when I looked the noble dead in the eye and muttered, "Well, aren't you the cat's pajamas?" See, normal monkeys don't talk. I momentarily forgot...

Forevernade
2009-09-19, 05:17 AM
Firstly, how do the walls of force exist if the cell is also the center for an antimagic field? The walls would be cancelled out.

I have a few quite ridiculous ideas...

1. Pray to a God.

By praying to whatever god you can, you may be able to have some divine intervention. A summons will allow you to push over the cages by snapping their contact with the concrete as per OoTS comic and the paladin.

2. Create a fequency of resonance of the concrete

Using your cymbals you can crack the concrete from underneath and above you, allowing wedges for your daggers to dig into.

Equally, if your DM decides the concrete is too variable, if you have a masterworks dagger, you can use a non-masterwork dagger to dig a small crevice in which you jam your masterwork dagger into, creating a resonance that matches the masterworks dagger. The vibrations should crack the concrete.

3. Create a God

By praying to a wall, your pure and intense belief may cause the wall to have some kind of sentience. You may then use diplomacy on the wall of force to convince it to change shape to let you through (I believe a God of the Wall would be a True Neutral God).

4. Make a Deal with the Devil

For a price, your DM may allow you to call upon some terrible and evil force to grant you the spell Dimension Door, or give you 2 Assassin levels (to cast 4th level spells).
You can Dimension Door out of the cell.
You can trade - your soul, another player's life, an npc's life, an amount of time under which they can control you, etc

5. Use the Pineapple

This is the obvious choice.

6. Pass without a trace

The subject or subjects can move through any type of terrain and leave neither footprints nor scent. Tracking the subjects is impossible by nonmagical means.
Convince your DM that concrete is a terrain.

7. Invisibility

Use your invisibility and non-detection to trick guards, and of course the 'hide in the sack trick' sometimes works too.

Learnedguy
2009-09-19, 05:18 AM
I don't know exactly what you're supposed to do, but I'm absolutely certain it involves pineapple.

Fizban
2009-09-19, 05:53 AM
It depends on how the antimagic field and walls of force are constructed. If they come from epic magic, "permanent construction", or just plain fiat, you're screwed. If for some reason your DM decided to make them using the magic trap rules, all you need to do is beat a pitifully easy disable device check.

So, search for traps.

Learnedguy
2009-09-19, 06:03 AM
Seriously though, dress up the pineapple as you were dressed up before. Then, while the confused guards investigates out the monkey turned pineapple (why not?), sneak out through the now opened gates.

Or you know, just beat them up.

Myou
2009-09-19, 06:10 AM
Firstly, how do the walls of force exist if the cell is also the center for an antimagic field? The walls would be cancelled out.

Wall of Force isn't affected by AMF. It's an instantanious conjuration with SR: No.

Adumbration
2009-09-19, 06:34 AM
Seriously though, dress up the pineapple as you were dressed up before. Then, while the confused guards investigates out the monkey turned pineapple (why not?), sneak out through the now opened gates.

Or you know, just beat them up.

Another idea: carefully skin the pineapple, and eat the insides.

Then dress as the pineapple. Da-dah! Monkey has escaped from the prison, let's just throw his stuff away, right?

Kol Korran
2009-09-19, 06:50 AM
Wall of Force isn't affected by AMF. It's an instantanious conjuration with SR: No.

i think you're mistaking with wall of stone, that does follow these characteristics. wall of force is an evocation spell with a duration of 1r/l that is affected by AMF.

Kol.

also... go pineapple! most awesome reward ever. i hope the DM have somehow managed to give you one in RL. i would have definetly remembered such a game session!

Rainbownaga
2009-09-19, 07:04 AM
I take it there's no door....

Yeah, agreeing with most of the previous posters; either find out why you're not suffocating to death and exploit it with escape artist checks or hide in your bag.

Alternatively, if there's nowhere that air can get in, pretend you're suffocating and then kill them when they drop a wall.

Myou
2009-09-19, 07:06 AM
i think you're mistaking with wall of stone, that does follow these characteristics. wall of force is an evocation spell with a duration of 1r/l that is affected by AMF.

Kol.

also... go pineapple! most awesome reward ever. i hope the DM have somehow managed to give you one in RL. i would have definetly remembered such a game session!

Gah, yeah, mixing them up.

But my point about Wall of Force stands.

Certain spells, such as wall of force, prismatic sphere, and prismatic wall, remain unaffected by antimagic field (see the individual spell descriptions).

BobVosh
2009-09-19, 08:57 AM
Bluff the guards that you are a normal monkey, and they got the wrong one. Surely they will let you free!

quick_comment
2009-09-19, 09:31 AM
Try digging around the wall of force. You shouldnt need to dig out very much to make an escape artist check through.

ericgrau
2009-09-19, 09:35 AM
...a few bells, a pair of cymbals, and a pineapple at my disposal.

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

Because he's a monkey. And these 3 items are in fact exactly what he needs to escape. A circus monkey trapped inside a magical cell screams "Adventure hook!" louder than a rock concert to any adventurer within eyeshot. No party will give up until they figure out how to get that monkey. Wear the bells, clang the cymbals, and balance the pineapple on your head and you're as good as free.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-19, 09:37 AM
Is there no bunk? A large wooden bunk turned up right could serve as a towershield so you could at least get your haversack open.

JeminiZero
2009-09-19, 09:41 AM
Bluff the guards that you are a normal monkey, and they got the wrong one. Surely they will let you free!

That would be one interesting bluff check to attempt.

Awakened Monkey: hou! hou! eek! eek!

Guard: Uh... I wonder what he's trying to say.

DM: They don't speak Monkey. You can't bluff them since they can't understand you.

Awakened Monkey: Right then. *Ahem* I am a normal monkey. Absolutely nothing suspicious about me. You can let me go fr... Uh... I mean... hou! hou! eek! eek!

DM: Ha! You take a -20 modifier since its obviously not true. The guard's sense motive is... *rolls a one*

Guard: Duuhhh... sure thing little monkey. I'll just deactivate this force door...

ericgrau
2009-09-19, 09:43 AM
Is there no bunk? A large wooden bunk turned up right could serve as a towershield so you could at least get your haversack open.

Oh that's right, AMF emanates from the center of the spell which means it should be blocked by any old solid object. I doubt the DM would allow such a thing though.

jiriku
2009-09-19, 09:48 AM
You are stuck. Enjoy the pineapple.

charl
2009-09-19, 10:19 AM
At size tiny he could pretty much use the pineapple as a tower shield.

Sliver
2009-09-19, 11:01 AM
That would be one interesting bluff check to attempt.

Awakened Monkey: hou! hou! eek! eek!

Guard: Uh... I wonder what he's trying to say.

DM: They don't speak Monkey. You can't bluff them since they can't understand you.

Awakened Monkey: Right then. *Ahem* I am a normal monkey. Absolutely nothing suspicious about me. You can let me go fr... Uh... I mean... hou! hou! eek! eek!

DM: Ha! You take a -20 modifier since its obviously not true. The guard's sense motive is... *rolls a one*

Guard: Duuhhh... sure thing little monkey. I'll just deactivate this force door...

If your bluff is high enough you can try to convince them that they do speak monkey and can understand you, right?:smallamused: Their sense motive sure isn't high.. There won't be any high level guard guarding a monkey, in a cell made of walls of force, with a pineapple.. Right?
You can try bluff, say that the pineapple is a bomb that will destroy the entire plane and some stupid anti-magic fields and walls of force won't stop it, and as you have nothing to lose, unless they let you out, its gonna blow.. Sound the bells, slowly, then faster and faster, it will help their feeling of impending doom.. They do live in a world with a monkey assassin..

Chrono22
2009-09-19, 11:18 AM
The walls of force are transparent, so if you are under constant surveillance this idea won't work:
Use the daggers to carefully cut a whole out the bottom of the pineapple. Eat the interior of the pineapple when you are not being observed. Otherwise, keep it hidden inside of your bag.
Wait until you are alone...
Scatter a large quantity of coins about the enclosure.
If there is a bucket which serves as a latrine, overturn it and place it in one corner.
Place some of the coins inside your bag, and place it in a different corner, somewhat upright.
Now comes the hard part: get inside the pineapple without breaking it apart. A decently large pineapple is roughly the size of a smallish tiny creature. Using the rules for occupying a small space, you should be able to use escape artist to squeeze inside at a reasonable DC (20 or so).
As a tiny sized creature with a good dexterity, you have a massive bonus on hide checks. Now that you are inside the pineapple, you have cover, and thus, concealment. Make a hide check, take your time if possible (take 10).

When the guards return, they'll see the pineapple, the overturned bucket, a bag, and a pile of coins. Unless these guards are exceedingly paranoid, they'll assume you are in either the bucket or the bag... hopefully they investigate and discover you aren't in either. They assume you escaped, and take/dispose of your equipment in due fashion. You (the rotten pineapple) get tossed out with the garbage.

Achos
2009-09-19, 11:28 AM
Take the pineapple
collect its juice
boil down the juice into a solution of acid and water
now attempt to boil out the rest of the water so you have a super saturated acid
take the acid and apply to concrete
melt away concrete
escape

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-19, 11:34 AM
Couple of things.

It sounds like you will be questioned at some point. So be ready for someone to come and open the cell.
So far the best ideas do seem to be A) disguise the pineapple as yourself (Disguise skill check) B) Hide in the HHH. I suggest doing both. And as the person who comes to question you looks on in confusion at the monkey who has turned into a pineapple, leap out of the HHH and escape.

The only problems I can think of is:
What if no one comes?
What if the guard fills the room with knock out gas before open the door?
If you have a normal sized HHH that you can hide in, how do you carry it?
If you have a tiny sized HHH, how do you hide in it?

Dienekes
2009-09-19, 11:40 AM
Bribe the guards?

Seriously, you have 10,000 gold pieces. This is more than a guard will have in a lifetime. Pick a guard who seems greedy or dishonorable and show him the loot.

PinkysBrain
2009-09-19, 11:42 AM
The gold has to be in his haversack (he couldn't have hid that on his person, even in platinum pieces). Which means it's not in reach at the moment.

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-19, 11:53 AM
or, you know:

Monkey: *Shows 10,000 gold to guard*
Guard: Sure, I'll let you out if you give me that gold. Then I'll be executed for letting you escape. I have a better idea. *Fills cell with poison gas* You were tragically killed while trying to escape. I'll get a comendation. *waits for you to die, then goes in and collects gold* Of course, it is unfortunate that you only had 250 gold pieces in your posession, but I will dutifully hand them over to my lord.

Dienekes
2009-09-19, 11:59 AM
Not necessarily, if you're gonna be there awhile. It shouldn't be hard to take one and continually tell how you have some buried somewhere.

If you had gold out of the sack to show him, like a coin or two it'd be easier though. Saying you take money from kings (thus why you're in there in the first place) and let him do the work for you.

Trick is to never tell them where the gold is until you're able to escape with your life.

HealthKit
2009-09-19, 12:23 PM
Convince the guards that you're a magical wish granting monkey, who can grant them any desire if they let you go.

If they don't believe you, remind them that you're a talking money and who are they to argue?

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-19, 12:23 PM
One thing I'd like to mention. When it comes to some DMs, wackiness and off the wall thinking (like the monkey polymorphed into a pineapple idea) has a better success rate than logical simple ideas (like bribe the guard). Other DMs, however, will penalize wackiness. What kind of DM is yours?

icefractal
2009-09-19, 12:38 PM
1) Hollow out the pineapple.
2) Hide inside the pineapple, blocking LoS to the antimagic field.
3) Get inside the (now functional) Handy Haversack.
4) Use a dagger to rip it, from the inside.

Looking at a Bag of Holding for reference, it appears you are now "lost forever". But looking at the way the extradimensional storage items work, especially when combined, you're probably just in some random place on the Astral Plane (if this does vanish you from existance, make a note of it, and use the same technique on any future BBEG that looks in danger of recurring). As a highly-skilled assassin monkey, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a way back to the Prime Material.

NOTE: The DM may be surprised that an AMF can be blocked this way, but it definitely can (see the rules for LoS and emanations). Be ready to back this up. Of course, he could claim it's some kind of special "emanates from everywhere" AMF, but there's no defeating DM fiat anyway.

Edit: Trying to edit a message multiple times on this board makes me want to burn the world down.

Arachu
2009-09-19, 01:01 PM
A list of ideas:

Cut off your own hand, and convince them it's cursed now and will kill them.

Bluff them into thinking that you can get into their heads, control/see their thoughts, etc.

Assert that you are, in fact, an emissary of whatever deity or force they follow until they start to believe it.

And, as HealthKit mentioned, you can convince them into thinking you'll grant a wish.

Any of these, plus blaming the antimagic field for any inconsistencies or mistakes.

Additionally, you could get into their heads, convince them that you hold true power and are merely awaiting the need to exert it, assert that you're the true path to freedom, salvation, sex, or whatever the **** motivates them, and then tell them to release you.

Take the last one, and now you have armed, trained, strong men that know the layout of the castle, are well-known and trusted, and are willing to die for you at a moment's notice.

Hell, you could mindrape them without even using the spell :smallamused:

woodenbandman
2009-09-19, 01:33 PM
If there's an antimagic field, the creator has probably thought of a counter and dealt with it somehow. Maybe there are 2 AMFs in the room, one above and one below.

Tyrmatt
2009-09-19, 01:45 PM
I like the idea of convincing the guards that cutting off your hand will give them a wish granting item. Once they step inside, break out the monkey-fu and escape. You could even death attack one of them since you've had more than enough time to observe them.

You could also let the pineapple ferment and use the resulting pineapple jack to crack open the concrete floor/ceiling and escape. Bit of a long winded situation. As is encouraging the pineapple to grow so the roots can break into the floor and crack it for you.

Pazuzu cheese also works well in this situation. Or pray to Wee Jas to ask for a temporary power boost (costs less than permanent) to give you the power to Dimension Door out in exchange for killing someone she wants dead.

Oh of course, there's an obvious solution I just realised: Start combing the monster manual for some kind of animal that eats rock or can burrow through it as a mundane effect. Step inside Haversack to beat the AMF and use Alter Self to become it. Burrow away to freedom!

Admiral Squish
2009-09-19, 01:51 PM
Maybe they're lying, and there is no AMF. That's just to discourage mages who think themselves lucky.

Sliver
2009-09-19, 01:59 PM
You can start talking (or singing) to the guards about GNS theory.. As there is that AMF silence won't work, so they will have to get in to shut you up.

Mongoose87
2009-09-19, 02:03 PM
You can start talking (or singing) to the guards about GNS theory.. As there is that AMF silence won't work, so they will have to get in to shut you up.

Better yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_47KVJV8DU

Mewtarthio
2009-09-19, 03:02 PM
One thing I'd like to mention. When it comes to some DMs, wackiness and off the wall thinking (like the monkey polymorphed into a pineapple idea) has a better success rate than logical simple ideas (like bribe the guard). Other DMs, however, will penalize wackiness. What kind of DM is yours?

The solution is simple: When the DM remarks that your plan is the most ridiculous thing he's ever heard in his entire life, simply remind him that your character is, in fact, a highly trained monkey assassin, and would therefore know better than him.

Arachu
2009-09-19, 06:53 PM
This is true, it's hard to argue with a talking, sociopathic monkey.

'Course, it'd be even harder to argue with a talking, psychotic monkey with a frigging cult of armed soldiers, but... :smalltongue:

Dixieboy
2009-09-19, 06:59 PM
Monkey has escaped from the prison, let's just eat this delicious pineapple, right?

:smallannoyed:

sonofzeal
2009-09-19, 07:04 PM
Assumption - the walls are tied to the AMF; if one goes down, both go down.

1) Hide in the Handy Haversack

2) Guards fail to see you, so they open walls to check.

3) Guards investigate Handy Haversack, but reaching inside takes them to the extradimensional space instead of to you.

4) ????

5) Profit!!!

Arachu
2009-09-19, 07:12 PM
Assumption - the walls are tied to the AMF; if one goes down, both go down.

1) Hide in the Handy Haversack

2) Guards fail to see you, so they open walls to check.

3) Guards investigate Handy Haversack, but reaching inside takes them to the extradimensional space instead of to you.

4) ????

5) Profit!!!

Wouldn't that cause him to be aborted from reality? :smalleek:

sonofzeal
2009-09-19, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't that cause him to be aborted from reality? :smalleek:
Possibly!

More likely, he's just trapped in a sack-sized space until it travels into an AMF again or gets otherwise suppressed. It's a great way to smuggle goods if you've got someone on the other end who knows the trick, but you're right that it might cause.... problems for our little monkey.

Arachu
2009-09-19, 07:23 PM
... Well, he might just pop into the plane, rather than being displaced into -?- by it...

Interesting, the metaphysics of that which by all logic is impossible, yes? :roach:

Toliudar
2009-09-19, 07:38 PM
A prison of this sophistication requires a low-tech solution. Suggest to the DM that you borrow a page from the the old serial cliffhangers. Your next session begins with the monkey climbing out of the smouldering ruins of the prison cell, holding the smoking top of a pineapple.

sonofzeal
2009-09-19, 07:41 PM
... Well, he might just pop into the plane, rather than being displaced into -?- by it...

Interesting, the metaphysics of that which by all logic is impossible, yes? :roach:
Why would he be displaced by it? By my reading, the only intrusion into our plane is in the mouth of the bag. There's effectively a little membrane-portal at the opening, and anything that reaches in from the outside ends up somewhere else. Now, interesting things could happen if he crossed that membrane from the inside. He might likely end up in the Astral plane, outside his extradimensional storage place. I'm guessing it would look like a very very big canvas bag, but that's just me.

thefinalbattle
2009-09-19, 08:25 PM
switch all your points into whatever would allow you to make bombs that are charged with antimagic energy using what little you have. the pineapple would, of course, be what you would use to assemble the bomb in. then, build one. use them, and the force wall should have a hole in it. walk out.

Volkov
2009-09-19, 08:27 PM
Offer the guards a bribe if they let down the field. Unless it's soundproof....Or there are no guards, or they have no lust for wealth.

Arachu
2009-09-19, 08:47 PM
Why would he be displaced by it? By my reading, the only intrusion into our plane is in the mouth of the bag. There's effectively a little membrane-portal at the opening, and anything that reaches in from the outside ends up somewhere else. Now, interesting things could happen if he crossed that membrane from the inside. He might likely end up in the Astral plane, outside his extradimensional storage place. I'm guessing it would look like a very very big canvas bag, but that's just me.

It depends, as far as I can tell... If the entrance is at the opening of the bag, then he would probably be fine (don't even begin to dip into the confusion of anything going on in there :smalleek:), although if the bag itself is the plane (supported by it ceasing to function if you rip it (it does stop, right?)), then either (vacuum into plane) or (displacement from the planes) would occur.

Just... Try not to think about what the inside would look like from the former... *enjoys the smell of scorching brain*

quick_comment
2009-09-19, 08:49 PM
Ask if the guards are allergic to pineapple

Arachu
2009-09-19, 09:07 PM
I wonder if you could bluff them into thinking that the bag contains their souls...?

Okay, what kind of guards are we talkin' here, "best in academy" smart, "knuckle-dragging ape-man" dumb, or "what does he even think about" (in the middle)?

... Wait. :smalleek:

... Carve a face into the pineapple, worship really hard until it becomes a god, and tell it to tell them their futures and that prosperity equals them setting you free.

And then exploit the new-found cultists for cheap labor :smallamused:

Arachu
2009-09-19, 09:08 PM
*SNAP* Wait, I gots it!

Tell them you'll sue their assess for animal cruelty.

:smallcool:

Assassin89
2009-09-19, 09:15 PM
*SNAP* Wait, I gots it!

Tell them you'll sue their assess for animal cruelty.

:smallcool:

What if there are no laws against animal cruelty? What happens then? Suing for cruelty to pineapples?

Mewtarthio
2009-09-19, 09:47 PM
Yes! Hold the pineapple hostage!

Arachu
2009-09-19, 10:02 PM
Wait, they let you keep your dagger? Ah, soddit-

"Freeze, or the pineapple gets it! :smallfurious:"

"Oh, no, don't hurt the innocent pineapple! :smalleek:"

Ha, ha... Yeees, let us make zat happen :xykon:

Volkov
2009-09-19, 10:03 PM
Turn into a viroid, surely such a small life form could squeeze through the holes.

OracleofWuffing
2009-09-19, 10:18 PM
Try to sell the pineapple to the guard as a miracle cure and/or powerful aphrodisiac, depending on how your DM thinks. Be sure to steal the pineapple back when you're free.

Alternatively, bluff the AMF and Walls out of existence.

Arachu
2009-09-19, 11:18 PM
Alternatively, bluff the AMF and Walls out of existence.

"Remember, if you don't believe in him, he can't hurt you. Hey, Robot Santa! I don't- AH! OHGOD the pain!"

Oh, yeah, I turned to Futurama :smallamused:

GeneralPatten
2009-09-29, 03:02 PM
He also failed to mention the fact that this is in the basement of the ruling house of the city and the DM is an evil evil man.
*(is also playing in said game)*

Starbuck_II
2009-09-29, 03:17 PM
Wait, they let you keep your dagger? Ah, soddit-

"Freeze, or the pineapple gets it! :smallfurious:"

"Oh, no, don't hurt the innocent pineapple! :smalleek:"

Ha, ha... Yeees, let us make zat happen :xykon:

Awesome, bluff them that you'll do it too.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 03:22 PM
tell the guards to tell the lord you would assassinate someone for him, for free, if he lets you go.

Kallisti
2009-09-29, 03:49 PM
I like the idea of bluffing the guards into thinking you're a magic wish-granting monkey, but it'd probably be easiest to wait until someone comes and opens the door, whether to feed you or question you or whatever, then bolt, possibly while unleashing dagger-powered monkey-fu on unsuspecting guards.

Woodsman
2009-09-29, 03:55 PM
Take the pineapple
collect its juice
boil down the juice into a solution of acid and water
now attempt to boil out the rest of the water so you have a super saturated acid
take the acid and apply to concrete
melt away concrete
escape

I don't think pineapple juice is quite that acidic. And how would he boil it?

potatocubed
2009-09-29, 04:31 PM
Hollow out the pineapple and hide inside.

Hopefully, someone will spot a perfectly good pineapple going to waste and swipe it. Remember to leap out before they try to slice the thing, though.

talus21
2009-09-29, 04:37 PM
If there is a door on this cell, I say use the pineapple juice to gum up the hinges. Then use cymbals to create a wedge to hold the door just open when it closes next. Once guards walk away push open the door and walk out.

If there is no door just force walls then use one of the various disguise/persuade methods above.

Arachu
2009-09-29, 04:59 PM
Mayhap thou couldst convert thine pineapple into some variety of improvised sock puppet, entertain thy guards and merely stroll freely toward yonder window and make thine escape.
[end:inexplicable_medieval_accentjoke]

In other words, make a pineapple puppet and jump out of a window! :thog:

... Unless they don't think like three-year-olds, in which case that may not work...

Um, saying "I HAVE A BEARD, I'M A BEARDED, TALKING MONKEY AND YOU WILL BOW TO ME!" might work... I'll leave it to you to figure out the beard :elan:

I recently read about a certain being called Hastur on another thread (I don't have the book).

Call Hastur. If you obey him and spread his name, then TPK :smallamused:

You know, because you're useless in a dungeon, but very useful outside of it. :smallbiggrin:

What's everyone looking at me like that for? :smalleek:

madtinker
2009-09-29, 05:23 PM
From the spell description, the wall can only be formed into a flat vertical plane. So at the corners there must be some gap, even if very small. try to squeeze through it.

Start making control checks to see if there are any spheres of annihilation anywhere nearby.

Make a gaze attack (doe eyes) at the guards for 3d6+cha morale damage.

SoD
2009-09-29, 06:00 PM
You could call Pazuzu.

taltamir
2009-09-29, 06:02 PM
that DC 120 check is to go through a solid wall of force, not through wall of force bars...

To go through a 2 inch hole you need a mere DC80 escape artist check... thats right, with a DC80 escape artist check you can push your humanoid sized body through a 2 inch hole.

If it is a solid wall of force, how are you not choking to death? if it has BARS, what is the DC to squeeze between them? (much lower than 120)

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-29, 06:06 PM
How are you breathing?

Kallisti
2009-09-29, 06:54 PM
I know it's been said, but it's a very good answer:

Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu...

chiasaur11
2009-09-29, 07:31 PM
How are you breathing?

Very carefully.

Heliomance
2009-09-30, 05:25 AM
that DC 120 check is to go through a solid wall of force, not through wall of force bars...

To go through a 2 inch hole you need a mere DC80 escape artist check... thats right, with a DC80 escape artist check you can push your humanoid sized body through a 2 inch hole.

If it is a solid wall of force, how are you not choking to death? if it has BARS, what is the DC to squeeze between them? (much lower than 120)

If he's Tiny, then that DC80 Escape Artist check is to go through a hole 1/2 inch wide.e

gdiddy
2009-09-30, 07:41 AM
A) Somehow empower the AMF to affect the Wall of force.
B) Violate guard with pineapple, hope he becomes catatonic with shame.
C) When the next person comes in, say your enchantment is finally wearing off. Oh woe. Oh poor you. You thought it would last in the AMF. Slowly curl up with the cymbals and bang them together. Grin madly. Pretend you are a toy. When they pick you up to inspect just what the hell is going on, grapple check their eyelids and rip them off.

Arachu
2009-09-30, 06:04 PM
A) Somehow empower the AMF to affect the Wall of force.
B) Violate guard with pineapple, hope he becomes catatonic with shame.
C) When the next person comes in, say your enchantment is finally wearing off. Oh woe. Oh poor you. You thought it would last in the AMF. Slowly curl up with the cymbals and bang them together. Grin madly. Pretend you are a toy. When they pick you up to inspect just what the hell is going on, grapple check their eyelids and rip them off.

:smalleek:

:smalleek::smalleek:

That was... That was just epic.

ondonaflash
2009-09-30, 07:07 PM
Pretend you're sick, and when the guards come in to check on you knock them out and run through the open cell! or, the classic stand by: "I sit in the cell and wait for something significant and/or plot related to occur"

Arachu
2009-09-30, 07:20 PM
Spin around in the Pause menu until you vomit and they have to clean it up!

Hide under something and stab them in the eye when they look for you!

Throw your food at them until they like you and give you something they don't know can help you escape!

[/MGS3references]

taltamir
2009-09-30, 09:57 PM
1. you cannot make permanent AMF
2. you cannot make permanent forcecage; but you can make wall of force permanent.
3. Guards cannot "lower" the wall of force unless they are very high level casters and use magic to do so... which will not work because it is in AMF.
4. AMF has a rather short duration.
5. i think the force line is immobile and that the OOTS episode where she broke the floor is non raw...