PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Windows 7.

oxinabox
2009-09-19, 06:29 AM
So, Windows 7 RTM has been out for ~1months, and the RC out for 2 moths before that, and beta's been out all year.
for those of us lucky enough to be able to get it.

What are peoples thoughts?
Basically it comes out as beeing what windowes vista should have been- wonderfull features, that runs better than xp.

But on the other hand:
2 hour safter installing i got my first Blue Screen of Death.
and office 2007 doesn't apear to be compatable.

V'icternus
2009-09-19, 06:38 AM
A literal blue screen of death? Wow, haven't seen one of those in years...

Is it wrong to be nostalgic over something so hair-rippingly annoying that I now twitch every time I see a blue screen?

oxinabox
2009-09-19, 06:53 AM
A literal blue screen of death? Wow, haven't seen one of those in years...

Is it wrong to be nostalgic over something so hair-rippingly annoying that I now twitch every time I see a blue screen?

Itestingly i have see two in the last two days.
the other was one on an XP computer i was formatting that just came in to the computer club. (Were going ot install: Madriva,slackware, sababyon,... and XP.

apart from that i have hardly seen a BSOD since i was runniong '98. and those were real blue screens of death, not like hte ones you gen now days.

Yarram
2009-09-19, 07:02 AM
I'm using windows 7 and haven't got a single BSoD yet... I both like it and dislike it. It's a liddle bit faster than XP when aero is turned off, but it's not compatible with some programs I use.

Ichneumon
2009-09-19, 07:03 AM
I used it for 10 minutes. I switched back to vista. I think I'll switch to windows 7 when it does come out for real.

Also, the last Blue Screen of Death I saw was on my netbook, windows xp, almost a year ago.

Jacklu
2009-09-19, 09:50 AM
My thoughts on 7? Love it. I won't be switching back to Vista, EVER. If I had to downgrade for some reason, I would go back to XP. >.>

B-Man
2009-09-19, 10:16 AM
I want Windows 7 to impress me. I really do.

I've not had an opportunity to test out Windows 7 but I'm going to be picking up a laptop that will be getting a free upgrade copy of Win7. All I ask is that I can run my wallpaper switcher program (circa. Win 95) and be able to retro-game on the weekends.

On the new laptop I think I'm going to split it WinXP Pro/Win7 if I do wind up liking Win7. Else I'm just sticking to my usual WinXP/Ubuntu split.

Starscream
2009-09-19, 10:59 AM
I tried it. I liked it. I'm sure I'll get it eventually. Vista has been disappointing, but I got it for free, so no point in complaining.

Jacklu
2009-09-19, 11:22 AM
From my experience with 7, it is as pretty as Vista, but as efficient with resources as XP. It works well and is considerably more user friendly than Vista. Actually, my lappy was having a lot of picky issues, and installing 7 fixed them. Vista is not mah friend.

Trog
2009-09-19, 11:57 AM
It looks to be the first Windows OS in a quite a while that has features (or possibly only feature, singular) that Apple copied from Windows instead of the usual other way around so I think that's promising from what I've seen.

I've yet to use it but hopefully it's a good solid OS for them and people can finally begin to use it with confidence versus going back to a previous system as happened with Vista. :smallsmile:

I had heard that it wasn't possible to upgrade from XP to 7, is this true?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-09-19, 08:08 PM
My dad's been using it all year, or for a long time, at any rate, and he loves it. He works on his computer practically 24/7 for work, and is a software tester.

Kneenibble
2009-09-19, 08:34 PM
I have never had any problems or complaints with Vista, to be frank, and I never understand the kind of bellyaching it appears to foster. I like it better than XP, that's for sure, which was a swiss cheese of annoyances to me.

I just bought a sexy new laptop, though, which came both with Vista installed, but also with a free Windows 7 CD. Program compatibility seems to be the biggest, indeed the only complaint in this feedback -- any other reasons I shouldn't switch over?

RS14
2009-09-19, 08:35 PM
Not having to pay for my operating system has spoiled me. I'm never going back. :smallwink:

oxinabox
2009-09-20, 12:22 AM
I just bought a sexy new laptop, though, which came both with Vista installed, but also with a free Windows 7 CD. Program compatibility seems to be the biggest, indeed the only complaint in this feedback -- any other reasons I shouldn't switch over?
I thought RTM was speficially baned from being used for oem or retail?
Or has Retail version been released?

Lorn
2009-09-20, 07:33 AM
My thoughts on 7? Love it. I won't be switching back to Vista, EVER. If I had to downgrade for some reason, I would go back to XP. >.>
This.

Seven is amazing.

Program compatability was an issue, but it's easily sorted if you can find what you need... some can be fixed by downgrading DirectX.

SDF
2009-09-20, 07:43 AM
I might switch over maybe 6 months after it comes out (never trust launch software) I've also never had a problem with Vista. Just about every complaint I've heard from people I know I've explained away with, "No, your just an idiot, you do it like *this*." And after I discovered you can use portable storage devices as virtual memory it's never run faster.

Erloas
2009-09-20, 08:36 AM
I had heard that it wasn't possible to upgrade from XP to 7, is this true?

It was the same way with Vista too, because both Vista and 7 were built from the ground up differently from XP. I think they might be able to import some settings from XP on an upgrade install, but even upgrade installs are really full installs.

Miss Nobody
2009-09-20, 11:49 AM
From my experience with 7, it is as pretty as Vista, but as efficient with resources as XP. It works well and is considerably more user friendly than Vista. Actually, my lappy was having a lot of picky issues, and installing 7 fixed them. Vista is not mah friend.

Really? So I'll finally get an OS for my laptop that won't make me want to thrust a kitchen knife through the display. Yay!

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-22, 02:15 AM
I thought RTM was speficially baned from being used for oem or retail?
Or has Retail version been released?:smallconfused: RTM means "Released To Manufacture". It's basically the quickie lingo for "release version".

I am a TechNet subscriber, so I've been "trying out" Windows 7 by installing it on Alarra's new laptop which came with Vista. I can find nothing to complain about. It's run everything that we've tried to do on it, though admittedly that doesn't include anything old.

Also, I don't know why you can't get Office 2007 to work with it. We're using it just fine.

Ditto what Jacklu said. That is almost exactly what I've been telling people I talk to about it. Pretty AND fast. I've read anecdotal stories of 7 being run on a x486. The guy wouldn't recommend doing it, but the fact that he could is pretty impressive. I've also read several reviews where slightly older systems have actually run BETTER with 7 than they did with XP (i.e. shorter bootup times and faster login times).

oxinabox
2009-09-23, 12:44 AM
:smallconfused: RTM means "Released To Manufacture". It's basically the quickie lingo for "release version".

But by the RTM rules the manufacture can't then sell it with a computer.
like B-Man said he was getting.
maybe he ment after the release date.
(its that in october?)

Also, I don't know why you can't get Office 2007 to work with it. We're using it just fine.

I know 2007 works for other people, i guess it's a flaw in my disc.
annoying since it's legal and i only bought it at the start of the year.
I'll download an iso and install using that, with my legal key.

Zeb The Troll
2009-09-23, 12:52 AM
But by the RTM rules the manufacture can't then sell it with a computer.
like B-Man said he was getting.
maybe he ment after the release date.
(its that in october?)Oh, that. Yes, the manufacturers are not allowed to sell it on a computer until the official release date. They ARE, however, authorized to offer free upgrades to it once the release date arrives, and many of them are doing just that. Notice that his post says "going to be getting" not "already have". :smallcool:

Archonic Energy
2009-09-23, 05:30 AM
I've also read several reviews where slightly older systems have actually run BETTER with 7 than they did with XP (i.e. shorter bootup times and faster login times).

is that better than a clean install of XP or an "old" install of XP? :smalltongue:

so far i have owned 95*, 98, ME, XP, & Vista. and by the sounds of it i may be upgrading to 7 soon too :smallsigh:

* showing my age here!

Dispozition
2009-09-23, 05:35 AM
I'm loving windows 7 so far. Upgraded from XP and haven't looked back. Only have two minor problems with it. The fact that my tablet doesn't detect pressure sensitivity and that WMM doesn't come with it.

It boots and shuts down a whole heap quicker than XP and it runs more efficiently as well. I've had no BSOD, only crashes caused by hardware/non-OS software. Pretty much, my graphics card doesn't like games sometimes, but it's old, so that's fair enough. I definitely prefer it over XP right now.

@B-Man: Win7 has an inbuilt wallpaper rotation, the thing is epic. It might only work with aero though, I haven't tried it otherwise.

Catch
2009-09-23, 07:33 AM
It's worth noting that though Windows Vista doesn't show the dreaded Blue Screen O'Death, the faults still happen. Take a look into your error report details sometime, and you might notice a message like "Type of Error: BSOD."

That aside, I'm hesitant about Windows 7. I recently had to uninstall Vista Service Pack 2 because it made my USB network adapter (claiming to be specifically Vista-compatible) go intermittently wonky and the whole darn machine would seize up any time I tried to fiddle with the network utilities.

Before VSP2, I wasn't aware you could crash a computer while pinging with ipconfig. :smallannoyed:

B-Man
2009-09-23, 08:56 AM
@B-Man: Win7 has an inbuilt wallpaper rotation, the thing is epic. It might only work with aero though, I haven't tried it otherwise.

Windows 7 has just been sold to me. :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

LCR
2009-09-23, 09:10 AM
is that better than a clean install of XP or an "old" install of XP? :smalltongue:

so far i have owned 95*, 98, ME, XP, & Vista. and by the sounds of it i may be upgrading to 7 soon too :smallsigh:

* showing my age here!

I've owned 3.1 (or was it 3.2), 95, 98, ME and XP until I saw the the light and switched to OSX. I've also owned a computer with only that black screen interface with the blinking dot. DOS I think it was called.

Trog
2009-09-23, 09:17 AM
I've owned 3.1 (or was it 3.2), 95, 98, ME and XP until I saw the the light and switched to OSX. I've also owned a computer with only that black screen interface with the blinking dot. DOS I think it was called.
*hugs his fellow OSXer and gives him an Apple holy symbol on a lanyard* :smalltongue:

oxinabox
2009-09-23, 09:44 AM
I was considering installing straight unix on a machine today...

What's wrong with the command line?
only way i know how to use a mac, there gui is confusing so i go back to the shell.
Drag and drop is nice i guess for moving files.
And for some programs a gui helps. Web browser, graphical games.

Archonic Energy
2009-09-23, 10:13 AM
I've also owned a computer with only that black screen interface with the blinking dot. DOS I think it was called.

C:\dos
C:\dos run
run dos run... :smalltongue:

@^
yes command line is so great... :smallsigh:
imagine trying to connect here to view the comic in a command line interface
"connect to 174.132.204.34
cd comics
download oots0681.png"

a GUI is so much more intuative... it's why i hate working with CISCO kit

valadil
2009-09-23, 11:48 AM
yes command line is so great... :smallsigh:
imagine trying to connect here to view the comic in a command line interface
"connect to 174.132.204.34
cd comics
download oots0681.png"

a GUI is so much more intuative... it's why i hate working with CISCO kit

The GUI is absolutely more intuitive, but CLI (command line interface) is more expressive. When you already know what you want the computer to do, it's much easier to tell it to do exactly that than to wave your mouse around and hopefully stumble upon the right option, which may have moved locations since the last time you used it.

I currently have Ubuntu with a side of XP. For my purposes, Windows is only useful for gaming. 7 looks like a big improvement over Vista, but not a big enough improvement for me to ditch XP as my gaming OS. Maybe I'll get it when I get a new box.

mr_pathetic
2009-09-23, 03:52 PM
I've highly considered Windows 7... hopefully office 2007 isn't totally unusable... may attempt to use it on my notebook if I get brave enough.

Alarra
2009-09-24, 01:30 AM
I'm liking Windows 7. Granted, I didn't really dislike Vista, and I like xp just fine. I guess, as long as it works I'm happy with whatever on my computer. Windows 7 is pretty though. And the rotating wallpapers thing is neat. Granted, I'm not using it, but I've considered it. :smallsmile:

drakir_nosslin
2009-09-24, 07:47 AM
So far I've been using the RC now for a couple of weeks and I'm very pleased. I upgraded directly from Vista when I bought a new laptop and so far I haven't found a single program that doesn't work properly, though some requires some fixing at first.
Way faster than Vista (not that it is an achivement, anything is faster than that piece of bad stuff), and though I really like XP:s gui, I find this one decent enough.