PDA

View Full Version : This..has..just...started!(3.5 spell)

Gamerlord
2009-09-19, 03:25 PM
A spell I specifically designed for boss fights but maybe PCs can use it as well:

Phoenix Rebirth
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Clr 9, Scr/Wiz 9
Components: V,S,M,XP
Casting Time:1 minute
Range:Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/caster level before trigger, 5 minutes/caster level once triggered(See text)
Saving Throw:none
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Upon completion of the spell, the spell remains Dormant until the Target dies(or the spell ends), at which point the target returns to life at full health and all spells restored,sheathed in flames for 5 minutes/ caster level. The spell grants the user immunity to fire, a flight speed of 30ft(good) as well as having all weapons do a additional 3d6 fire damage, once the spell is over the target remains alive unless killed but the effects of the spell end.

Components: 10,000 GP worth of Diamond, 5,000 XP

Dragon Elite
2009-09-19, 03:44 PM
Definitely needs an XP cost.

Ashtagon
2009-09-19, 03:58 PM
This is essentially a resurrection spell, except with the dire and half-fiend templates tacked on. Definitely needs XP cost.

Unless you make the bringing back to life bit expire after 24 hours or something. That makes it a good revenge spell, but not a "get out of afterlife free" card.

Gamerlord
2009-09-19, 04:02 PM
Added a XP cost

Gorgondantess
2009-09-19, 05:20 PM
Emmm... xp cost? It's a contingent resurrection. And a 9th level spell. And it has a rather short duration... I'd call it 10,000 gp worth and no more.

Ashtagon
2009-09-19, 05:31 PM
Emmm... xp cost? It's a contingent resurrection. And a 9th level spell. And it has a rather short duration... I'd call it 10,000 gp worth and no more.

9th level spells are one a day (or more) once you got them. And that duration is *once triggered*, meaning it can be cast on you years before it actually gets activated.

The line about "all spells restored" actually makes nova-ing, then intentionally getting killed into a strong tactic in a big battle.

Heck, that line actually makes this spell an infinite spells per day cheat, as long as you remember to recast this spell on yourself each time before allowing yourself to get killed.

Gorgondantess
2009-09-19, 05:37 PM
9th level spells are one a day (or more) once you got them. And that duration is *once triggered*, meaning it can be cast on you years before it actually gets activated.

The line about "all spells restored" actually makes nova-ing, then intentionally getting killed into a strong tactic in a big battle.

Heck, that line actually makes this spell an infinite spells per day cheat, as long as you remember to recast this spell on yourself each time before allowing yourself to get killed.

Ah. Didn't notice that. I suppose it is worthy of an xp penalty, what with the "all spells restored" clause... though you couldn't pull it off in the middle of combat, as it's a one minute casting time.

Debihuman
2009-09-19, 05:41 PM
The spell grants the user immunity to fire, a flight speed of 30 ft(good) as well as having all weapons do a additional 3d6 fire damage, once the spell is over the target remains alive unless killed but the effects of the spell end.

How long does the immunity, flight and weapon damage last?

This strikes me as a fancy-schmancy contingency spell that tries to do too much.

Debby

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-19, 06:17 PM
This seems a bit powerful to me. Contingent Resurrection is an Epic Spell, and this does it along with spell restoration and other stuff for a lower level. I'm sure the costs balance it out a bit, but it just seems a bit strong to me.

DracoDei
2009-09-19, 06:45 PM
MAYBE include level loss as per Ressurection... but probably not.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-19, 06:53 PM
I think it should have a set duration for how long it can be triggered for. As is, you cast it, and you never have to worry again.

Maybe make it last an hour per caster level? Then in changes from "I cast this spell, and I never have to worry about dying" to "I cast this battle in case I die in the coming fight against the BBEG".

Gamerlord
2009-09-19, 07:29 PM
Got it, will put a before-trigger expiration date.