PDA

View Full Version : Warlocks and ability focus

Kyrthain
2009-09-19, 05:46 PM
I'm planning on making a warlock, and I recently noticed that it said that warlocks can take ability focus for their invocations. After a bit of searching, i found that they had to take it separately for eldritch blast from other invocations. However, does anyone know if you can take ability focus (invocations) to apply to all your other invocations (since eldritch blast is treated somewhat differently from other invocations) or if you would have to take the feat separately for each invocation you want it to apply to?

Thanks in advance:smallsmile:

Douglas
2009-09-19, 05:52 PM
You have to take it separately for each invocation. Eldritch Blast is a special case in that Eldritch Essense and Blast Shape invocations modify it rather than being their own independent abilities.

Kyrthain
2009-09-19, 06:09 PM
Dang. Oh well. Thanks for the help:smallsmile:

deuxhero
2009-09-19, 08:10 PM
You might still want to check out the meta spell like ability abilitys. Quickened blast doubles your damage or lets you use a control evocation and normal blast at the same time.

Tokiko Mima
2009-09-19, 09:37 PM
I think the Feat you might be looking for is Sudden Ability Focus, (ToM pg. 74.) It allows you to apply a +2 to the DC of any special ability (meaning all your invocations) you have, but only once a day. It stacks with regular Ability Focus for a +4, and can be taken multiple times.

Keep in mind, Warlocks Eldritch Blast save DC only comes into play when you're dropping area effects, like Cones, Lines, and emanations. Any other time, Sudden/Ability Focus doesn't help them, since they're making ranged touch attacks based on Dexterity and attack bonus, not Charisma save DC.

Kyrthain
2009-09-20, 06:42 AM
Those are all good ideas, but I'm really stingy with my abilities, so i don't like getting things that can only be used once or twice a day (that's partially why I'll be a warlock)

Rainbownaga
2009-09-20, 07:12 AM
Keep in mind, Warlocks Eldritch Blast save DC only comes into play when you're dropping area effects, like Cones, Lines, and emanations. Any other time, Sudden/Ability Focus doesn't help them, since they're making ranged touch attacks based on Dexterity and attack bonus, not Charisma save DC.

What about essences that require saves?

Narmoth
2009-09-20, 10:08 AM
Then focus on charisma.
There's Beguiling Influence: +6 on Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate, duration 24 hours, that combined with a high charisma and full investment in those skills give you power to rival any Bard, while at the same time having your Eldritch Blast on hand.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-09-20, 11:48 AM
Quicken (Sp) is a better feat. Ability Focus is too narrow. That is a ton of feats if you take lot of invocations that have a save. Maximize (Sp) is also a decent choice.

Warlock is little more than a blaster. They are one of the few classes that can seriously benefit from having a Bloodline (devil is particularly fun) and can pull off being a blaster. The best invocations you can take do not even require a save; Eldritch Glaive, the Flight one, Hellrime Blast, etc.

That coupled with having the best skill in the game (UMD), and can Take 10 on it at effectively any time? Sign me up George.

Wait, I did...

Garet Yasur
(Pathfinder) CE (Eventually LE) Gnome
(Unearthed Arcana) Devil Bloodline
Warlock 5 / Enlightened Spirit (re-fluffed to Evil alignment) 10 / Hellfire Warlock 3

After Racial mods:
Strength 11
Intelligence 18
Wisdom 10
Dexterity 18
Constitution 16
Charisma 18

Feats:
Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Violate Spell Like Ability, Empower Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast), Craft Wondrous Item, Quicken Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast)