PDA

View Full Version : one year ago today

Jayngfet
2009-09-20, 02:01 AM
It's september 20th. One year ago toonami was pulled off the air,one year ago TOM4 told us to stay gold. I'm opening this thread to discuss all things toonami, the bumps, the shows, it's influence, and how it's affected you.

Personally toonami's been with me so long it'd be a lie to say it didn't greatly affect my personality. Hell I've been toonami faithful since preschool. Today I'm re watching every single toonami bump I can find to remember what the earliest of animation fans had.

Bang.

Fan
2009-09-20, 02:03 AM
Indeed, it was one of the silliest descisions I've ever HEARD of in all my years of hearing about silly/and or stupid actions.

Toonami was one of the best line ups for games/anime/shows that ever existed.

Hell, without it, we wouldn't have had great shows like Reboot, and G Gundam.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-20, 05:59 AM
Only thing I remember Toonami for is DBZ (literally I can't remember anymore of their shows). Admittedly that alone did lead me down the path to being the uber-geek I am today, so I guess it did have a big impact on my life.

Of course I haven't had cable for about 6 years, so I didn't even realise it had gone off the air.

Nameless
2009-09-20, 06:02 AM
I used to wake up at half six in the morning to watch that show. e_e

Xallace
2009-09-20, 09:25 AM
I remember seeing it happen. It was the first time I'd watched TV in a while, too. I actually cried out, "No, Tom!" Man, it was bad.

Toonami was basically responsible for developing the kind of shows I enjoy. Reboot, YuYu Hakusho, Big O, I believe Trigun was on there, wasn't it? Samurai Jack... were Voltron, Swat Cats, and Thundercats on Toonami, because I seem to think they were. I know Kikaider was on Midnight Run, and less censored YuYu Hakusho and Big O were too.

GoufCustom
2009-09-20, 10:34 AM
In honor of it, we should have some pineapple salad.

Zevox
2009-09-20, 07:35 PM
were Voltron, Swat Cats, and Thundercats on Toonami, because I seem to think they were.
Don't know about Swat Cats, but I know Voltron and Thundercats were, at least early on in Toonami's life. I actually recall first seeing Thundercats on the first day of Toonami because it was on just before Voltron, which I had watched when I was younger and wanted to see again.

Personally though, I stopped watching Toonami long before its death, so I wasn't really bothered when that happened. The anime-heavy schedule they wound up with just didn't interest me. Well, that and I stopped watching most TV a good while before Toonami died anyway.

Zevox

Steven the Lich
2009-09-20, 09:38 PM
I only heard about this a week or two ago...:smallfrown:

Toonami was one of the best things on CN. I'm sad that they took it off.
I don't watch television that much anymore, but damn it, that show was cool...

I swear, companies and channels like CN and Disney are becoming dumber and dumber. :smallannoyed:

Jayngfet
2009-09-20, 11:12 PM
I only heard about this a week or two ago...:smallfrown:

Toonami was one of the best things on CN. I'm sad that they took it off.
I don't watch television that much anymore, but damn it, that show was cool...

I swear, companies and channels like CN and Disney are becoming dumber and dumber. :smallannoyed:

Ironically Disney shows some signs of becoming a new toonami of sorts if things go right. They're acquiring anime, acquiring action titles, have a channel devoted to the boys demographic that due to being non basic cable doesn't need to give in to the ratings race as much and thus can take more risks. They've already got four old toonami shows playing that seem to be doing alright.

WhiteHarness
2009-09-21, 09:47 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Toonami's effect on youth culture had a lot to do with ruining modern society, so I was happy to see it go.

Dragonus45
2009-09-21, 10:05 AM
Dude, toonami brought anime to the mainstree... wait ok so that wasnt such a great thing in the end. But the Brought serous anime across shore where people all over could see it. Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z. Some non amine like Re Boot that never got much attention before it aired there. They started What would eventually turn into adult swim... well i really need to stop ruining my own arguments. But they did and before that went down the tube that brought many youngins to the Cowboy Bebop and Trigun. How did it bring down modern society. I do really hope your joking because i cried when i heard about it endeing. >.> it was a quit manly cry. But i grew up on that stuff, its the reason i believe that hot bloddedness will solve all of my giant mecha related problems.

Back to the OPs point. Yea Toonami kicked some major ass. I threw my own little party with a few friends i used to live near and hang out with with back when it first started. O yea and Ronin Warriors. That's all the win they need right there.

Haven
2009-09-21, 11:12 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Toonami's effect on youth culture had a lot to do with ruining modern society, so I was happy to see it go.

Here we see what happens when Transformers fans go into sociology.

Rogue 7
2009-09-21, 12:22 PM

Really? Please elaborate.

BatRobin
2009-09-21, 03:08 PM
"Stay gold."

BOOM.

That scared me to death and I almost cried.

Vic_Sage
2009-09-21, 03:31 PM
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww48/msesets/Reaction%20Faces/1251524431648.jpg

Phase
2009-09-21, 06:56 PM
Shed a tear for Samurai Jack, Bobobo bo bo bobobo, and, most importantly...

Megas XLR! :smallfrown:

Icewalker
2009-09-22, 01:38 AM
Oh, Toonami...

DBZ, a bit of Zoids, and highest on the list, G Gundam. Good times.

Rewatched G Gundam not too long ago. It's over the top, but really an amazing show. Yeah, I remember Toonami. Of course, they had some pretty awful stuff too, but it was one of my main sources of badass shows when I was younger.

Xallace
2009-09-22, 08:57 AM
Rewatched G Gundam not too long ago. It's over the top, but really an amazing show.

Was that one where the guy thought his finger talked to him and told him to kill people? With heart-shaped lasers? And there was a gundam in a sombrero?

Kris Strife
2009-09-22, 09:00 AM
Was that one where the guy thought his finger talked to him and told him to kill people? With heart-shaped lasers? And there was a gundam in a sombrero?

and one with a British guard hat, and one riding a cobra, and one shaped like a fish, and one that turned into a windmill, and one was a footballplayer/surfer/cowboy, and one looked like sailor moon, and was one piloted by a horse.

And it never told him to kill people, just to beat the crap out of them or to grasp 'victory'