PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Use Magic Device

Navigator
2009-09-20, 03:48 AM
A friend in my gaming circle seems to think that the rules allow for UMD to qualify you for things like Divine feats, Wildshape feats, or casting classes that require "Ability to cast Xth-level spells".

Am I totally insane or is this crazy?

If it's crazy, what are some examples of abuse?

If I'm insane, I need to be enlightened, so please do so.

Yora
2009-09-20, 03:51 AM
Let's just take a look at the skill:

You can use this skill to read a spell or to activate a magic item. Use Magic Device lets you use a magic item as if you had the spell ability or class features of another class, as if you were a different race, or as if you were of a different alignment.
It specifically says it works for magic items. So that means only for activating magic items.

Myou
2009-09-20, 04:05 AM
Your friend is the insane one. :smallyuk:

Curmudgeon
2009-09-20, 04:27 AM
3.0 D&D had Emulate Class Feature as one of the uses of Use Magic Device, and you could make a case for emulating spellcasting via that method. However, UMD is always limited to activating magic items, and there's no way that the skill could allow you to satisfy feat or PrC requirements. 3.5 D&D did away with that application of the Use Magic Device skill anyway, so your friend is trying to take a long walk on a short pier -- totally without support. :smallsmile:

olentu
2009-09-20, 04:29 AM
3.0 D&D had Emulate Class Feature as one of the uses of Use Magic Device, and you could make a case for emulating spellcasting via that method. However, UMD is always limited to activating magic items, and there's no way that the skill could allow you to satisfy feat or PrC requirements. 3.5 D&D did away with that application of the Use Magic Device skill anyway, so your friend is trying to take a long walk on a short pier -- totally without support. :smallsmile:

It still has emulate a class feature.

Killer Angel
2009-09-20, 04:34 AM
Your friend is the insane one. :smallyuk:

Yep, and it's easy to demonstrate. It's sufficient to read the skill's text (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/Usemagicdevice.htm). Only item, sorry.

And seriously... UMD is probably the most broken skill in existence. There's really no need to read it in an even more broken way.

Curmudgeon
2009-09-20, 07:15 AM
It still has emulate a class feature.
Yeah, I had an editing goof there. I meant to say that 3.0 had Emulate Spell Ability as a clearer approximation of pretending to be a spellcaster than 3.5's Emulate a Class Feature, but the skill is still limited to activating magic items, and can't satisfy feat or PrC requirements.

Sorry for the mistake.

AxeD
2009-09-20, 08:51 AM
I assume he'd be able to do it if he had the required scrolls (it'd be costly though)

sofawall
2009-09-20, 08:56 AM
I assume he'd be able to do it if he had the required scrolls (it'd be costly though)

Are you saying my Fighter can take levels in Iot7V if he gets a few scrolls?

Myou
2009-09-20, 09:34 AM
Are you saying my Fighter can take levels in Iot7V if he gets a few scrolls?

As long as he doesn't lose them, because if he does then he forgets how to use his class abilities. :smallbiggrin:

Navigator
2009-09-20, 02:51 PM
As long as he doesn't lose them, because if he does then he forgets how to use his class abilities. :smallbiggrin:
Isn't using a scroll just spell-completion? Does it actually count as "casting" a spell?

Myou
2009-09-20, 02:54 PM
Isn't using a scroll just spell-completion? Does it actually count as "casting" a spell?

That's the point actually - UMD can't let you cast spells. I was just pointing out how stupid it would be if you let it be used to enter a PrC.