PDA

View Full Version : Interrogation! [3.5]

goken04
2009-09-20, 04:00 AM
Tomorrow (Sunday) I am running a solo-session with a player. She's a low-level character who was part of a party who escaped from their hometown when it became overrun with homebrewed zombie-like creatures (that are actually Aberrations). Their escape (through a Teleportation Circle) was botched, but they were eventually rescued by a wizard on the Kingdom's payroll.

The party told their story to the wizard, who dutifully informed the clerics who hired him. While waiting for them to arrive, the wizard sent the rest of the party off on a sidequest while the party member in question stayed behind in order to respond the the clerics upon their arrival.

The session will center around the small contingency of powerful, high-level Clerics interviewing the party member. The clerics are Neutral/Good leaning (with no particular leanings on the Law/Chaos axis) high-level, high-influence members of the Kingdom's only faith and have no information regarding the events that took place in the town (and led to the party's illegal use of the teleporter...) save for what the party has told the wizard. The PC is a drow, which are generally part of an enemy nation and not found in this Kingdom. The PCs have uncovered that said enemy nation (and mostly drow, at that) were involved with the mini-apocalypse in their hometown, but the clerics do not.

What I need from the inquisitive minds of the Playground are ideas for this interrogation/interview! The clerics want to find out exactly what happened and how in as short a period of time as possible so they can send in members of their order to clean the town up. What sort of spells would be appropriate for their use in this questioning? Between the wizard (highest ECL wizard in the Kingdom) and the clerics, pretty much any spell of 7th level or lower would be available for their use. I already plan to make use of Zone of Truth. What sorts of questions should they ask? Any good experiences with details or tactics that would really set the scene for this urgent and impromptu information-gathering meeting? Any ideas would be welcomed! Also, just because their neutral or good, doesn't mean they have to be nice!

AxeD
2009-09-20, 09:05 AM
Does non-magical interogation exist in 3.5?

Can you make use of your skills in heal (so you know what parts of the body wil hurt the most without them dying), together with diplomacy (to convince them to see your 'point' of view), and have them make a will save to avoid telling all?

Or you can skip all that and just go for the KODT method of a 'Buring torch to the groin' :smallbiggrin:

If that fails (or isn't to your taste) maybe you can use the speak with dead spell? The spell description does say that the "Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive", but the PC can't resist it if they manage to get a cleric with a the same alignment "If the creature’s alignment was different from yours, the corpse gets a Will save to resist the spell as if it were alive."

Heck, since the PC "can’t even remember being questioned", they could kill him ask him questions and there's no way the party would know what info he has given up.

RandomLunatic
2009-09-20, 09:34 AM
The bulk of your questions should call for simple yes/no answers. Otherwise, people can make utter nonsense of Zone of Truth with evasions and half-truths.

Owl's Wisdom will increase those Sense Motive checks.

SparkMandriller
2009-09-20, 09:38 AM
Dominate person and ordering the subject to tell you what you want should work. I think.

Probably not so fun to actually play though.

Lysander
2009-09-20, 10:03 AM
They might use Discern Lies just in case she successful resists the Zone of Truth.

They'd definitely Detect Evil right off the bat to determine her alignment.

They could have cast Divination in advance in order to get hints about what questions to ask.

A symbol of persuasion could be on the chair they ask her to sit on. She instantly becomes as friendly and helpful to the clerics as possible.

Or, what if one of the clerics is a Mystic Theurge? Then they could cast Charm Person, Suggestion, etc.

goken04
2009-09-20, 10:34 AM
They might use Discern Lies just in case she successful resists the Zone of Truth.

They'd definitely Detect Evil right off the bat to determine her alignment.

They could have cast Divination in advance in order to get hints about what questions to ask.

A symbol of persuasion could be on the chair they ask her to sit on. She instantly becomes as friendly and helpful to the clerics as possible.

Or, what if one of the clerics is a Mystic Theurge? Then they could cast Charm Person, Suggestion, etc.

Good ideas! This campaign doesn't actually use Alignments, so Detect Evil is out. That makes this more fun, for sure!

Mystic Theurges are very viable! One of the God's domains is Magic and many of his clerics are multiclassed to wizard or sorcerer.

Lysander
2009-09-20, 11:57 AM
Perhaps they have a very charming interrogator too. They don't need to just use compulsions and threats. What if their chief interrogator has a really high charisma, and maxed out diplomacy and sense motive. Does your player have any reason to conceal information? If they don't sense signs of subterfuge they might not treat her with hostility. Plus, a mundane sense motive roll lets them use Guidance to boost it.

As to how to conduct an interview, before-hand Augury could reveal the best strategy and answer questions like "Should we treat her with suspicion?" and "Can we trust her?"

9mm
2009-09-20, 12:02 PM
well you start with the top joint of the pinky and work your way up...

Oh, Normal interrogation methods; charm, diplomacy, domininate + questions, zone of truth...

Lysander
2009-09-20, 12:10 PM
This one's just obvious: Detect Thoughts. They can read her mind during the entire interrogation. Perhaps the interrogator could ask a lot of seemingly unrelated questions about many different topics, the idea being just to provoke thoughts about various topics so they can get a comprehensive impression of who she is.

Dixieboy
2009-09-20, 12:46 PM
Another option is a biased interrogator, one who misinterprets your words on purpose, deem you a liar without any proof and/or dismiss you from the very beginning.

It'd make sense seeing as the PC is a drow.

quick_comment
2009-09-20, 01:05 PM
Also, BoVD has rules for torture and getting information that way.

NEO|Phyte
2009-09-20, 01:31 PM
If psionics are in, a good Mind Probe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindProbe.htm) would be handy.

goken04
2009-09-20, 01:37 PM
If psionics are in, a good Mind Probe (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindProbe.htm) would be handy.

Psionics ARE available! The PC is a telepath. Unfortunately, it's a skill exclusive to the Drow, of which there are none employed by this Kingdom!

goken04
2009-09-27, 12:25 PM
Thanks for your help everybody! The session went great!

We have a little more to finish in the interrogation, but here's what we did last week, if anyone is interested:

Background Information
We run 3.5, but with heavy house-ruling, including a skill list that more closely resembles 4E's. And no Alignments, as mentioned.

The name of their nation is Arkios and, politically, it is run by the Order of Robin, clerics devoted to the only remaining god, a halfling who overthrew the previous pantheon. One of the three other competing kingdoms is Hellgate, which is ruled by Lilith, Queen of the Undead. The Drow, along with thousands of undead, are bound in service to Queen Lilith.

Father Melvin is the High Cleric (a role essentially functioning as both a Mayor and High Priest) of Waynwood, the small, backwoods town that the PCs were born and raised in. It is found on the border of Arkios which is shared by Hellgate. As the OP mentioned, the party botched a scroll use on a homebrewed Teleportation Circle (which come standard in all Temples of Robin), which resulted in them ending up in the (exceedingly dangerous) wilderness. They were then rescued by a famously powerful wizard named Balkus, who was asked to find those who had misused the Teleportation Circle.

The Infected Template can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7011355#post7011355).

Balkus appears as a middle-aged elf with dark hair and a goatee. You are waiting quietly, alone, in his expansive study. His large mahogany desk on one end of the room, book-case-lined walls on the other. An active fireplace casts a warm light on the room. Balkus has just teleported out with your other party members after asking you to wait quietly.
Alliamdra: Perception:
Skill Roll: (Natural 20!) = 36
The room is filled with all manner of trinkets and baubles, many of which you are sure are highly magical. A scrying mirror sits on the left of his busy desk. The rug on which you are standing appears to be made from the skin of a displacer beast. Several very small creatures or things seem to be moving on one of the book shelves. You notice the two squat granite statues in either corners of the room opposite Balkus's desk are not in any way affixed to the wall or the floor.
* Alliamdra walks over to the scrying mirror and peeks down at it
It appears to be inactive, a familiar looking Drow peeks back at you.
* Alliamdra walks over to book shelves to observe the small creatures or things
Two clay figures, each about 1.5 inches tall, move about on the edge of the shelves, in front of the books. One seems to be trying to load a miniature clay cannon while the other one prepares to fire his.
* Alliamdra waits to see what happens when the one fires his cannon
The more prepared figure shoots his cannon at the other creature who is immediately blown to tiny clay bits as the cannonball fires through him.
The surviving figure hurries to retrieve his cannonball and roll it slowly across the bookshelf back to his cannon. The exploded figurine quickly reforms, his pieces coming back together on their own. He aims and fires his already-loaded cannon just as the other figurine manages to lift his cannonball into his cannon. The previously-exploded clay man catches his murderer off-guard and his cannonball finds its mark in his attacker's chest. He, too, explodes into tiny clay bits.
The executed murderer reforms himself as the other clay figure hurries to retrieve his cannonball and the fierce battle begins anew.
* Alliamdra walks over and checks around the granite statues
The two statues are identical. They have the bodies of dwarves, but inhuman heads. Their eyes are overly large, with exaggerated fang-bearing smiles. Both have large ram-like horns above their pointy ears. They face the desk and each holds a pole-axe in their hand opposite the other.
You hear a sudden crack in the air behind you.
* Alliamdra turns toward the noise
Behind you, on the right side of Balkus's desk, Gregory, Balkus's black blink dog, appears.
Gregory acknowledges your presence, but seems utterly unconcerned.
Alliamdra: You don't mind if I just look around here do you? Didn't think so
Gregory pants nonchalantly and sits by the desk.
* Alliamdra walks over to the closest clearly magical item she noticed and takes a gander
On the shelf of one of the book cases, nearby, a sky-blue mask is set on display
* Alliamdra glances toward the blink dog
Alliamdra: You don't suppose you'd let me put this mask on you to see what it does?
The mask is a human face without detail. It seems to be made out of highly-polished wood. The mask has eye-holes, outlined in white swaths. A green gem is set in its forehead.
Gregory seems to almost shrug. He doesn't look concerned.
Alliamdra: right, that either means it doesn't do much of anything, won't work on you, or something will happen to me just for touching it
Alliamdra: I'm not risking a 33% chance of dying
Gregory does not react.
Alliamdra: So I guess he doesn't keep you around for company
Gregory scowls at you.
Alliamdra: It was a compliment, I'm not one for company
A few seconds later another crack echoes through the large room as Balkus appears behind his desk.
Balkus: Hope that I did not keep you waiting too long, Miss Alliamdra.
Alliamdra: I like your dog
Balkus: Yes, Gregory is a faithful companion. Thank you.
Alliamdra: Think you can turn Jarit into one?
* Balkus takes his seat behind his desk and Gregory pads over to him as he pets him.
Balkus: Ha! I'm quite positive I could.
Balkus: Though I think that Gregory might be a little jealous in that case.
Balkus: Pull up a chair, Miss Alliamdra.
Balkus indicates one of a few arrmchairs lining the walls near his desk
* Alliamdra pulls a chair to the desk and sits in it
Balkus: We have a few moments before the clerics arrive, I'm sure.
Balkus begins to play with the many rings adorning his long fingers.
Balkus: So... Miss Alliamdra... May I be so bold as to ask you
Balkus: Exactly how it is that you and Danton came to live in Waynwood?
Alliamdra: I don't know much of Danton's past
Balkus: Oh? I'm sorry.
Alliamdra: He's older than me you see, and I was there after him
Alliamdra: He's an orphan, raised by humans
Balkus: A drow orphaned in Arkios?
* Balkus smiles
Balkus: Interesting
Balkus: And yourself?
Alliamdra: My mother brought me to Waynwood
Balkus: I see. That's very surprising!
Balkus: Why would she do something like that?
Alliamdra: My dear Balkus, you are somewhat familiar with Drow culture are you not?
Balkus: You peg me correctly. I like to consider myself a student of all cultures. But the drow in particular interest me.
Balkus: Your predilection for the manifestation of psionic powers is....
Balkus: fascinating
* Balkus smiles
Alliamdra: I'm sorry Balkus, I was raised Drow
Alliamdra: So you should realize
Alliamdra: It will take quite a bit more years of building trust before I'll willingly give you my history
Balkus: Haha!
Balkus: Yes, of course.
Balkus: And while I understand your desire to obscure your racial disposition and think it wise.
Balkus: You should be aware that the clerics will certainly see your hood in their presence a sign of disrespect. I do not know how things are done in Waynwood, but in most of Arkios covered-heads in the presence of clergy is interpretted as an insult.
Balkus: You are, of course, free to weigh the pros and cons yourself.
Alliamdra: Yes, the conundrums of my life
Balkus: Indeed.
Balkus: So tell me more about this powerful curse!
Balkus: Were any attempts made to remove it?
Alliamdra: Not by any in the group
Balkus: In your group, you mean?
Alliamdra: We figured if the clerics were taken by it, then our meddling would probably not end well for us
Alliamdra: well
Alliamdra: I speak for myself
Alliamdra: To be honest, I cannot recall if the thought was ever mentioned out loud
Balkus: Yes, well.
Balkus: As self-sufficient as all of you are
Balkus: From what I observed, it seems likely that you did not possess the necessary resources to even attempt it. This is a fair assumption, is it not?
Alliamdra: I'd say that is beyond assumption, since you can clearly see what the results were of us even attempting to use a teleportation circle
Alliamdra: I know that Father Melvin was attempting to cure another while we were searching for the ones that were lost
Balkus: Ah. Yes. I see.
Alliamdra: Anyway
A bell is heard ringing from another room.
* Balkus smiles.
Balkus: Ah, that must be our guests. Gregory, if you would?
Gregory disappears immediately.
Alliamdra: Oh good, the questioning committee
Alliamdra: Excuse my sarcasm
Balkus: Ah, don't pay them too much heed. The clerics really think too much of themselves.
Balkus: Best off cooperating, though, I suppose.
Balkus: Less, of course, you have something to hide.
* Balkus smiles with a glint in his eyes.
* Alliamdra nods but does not share his smile
Shortly, one of the two doors of the study open, revealing Gregory, having opened the handle with his front paws, leading a halfling into the room.
* Alliamdra whispers
Alliamdra: are you sure you won't make Jarit into one?
The halfling, dressed in the midnight-blue robes of Robin's clerics, appears well-groomed, but his face belies a life of hardship that makes him appear much older than his years. He wears an ivory horn on a necklace around his neck.
Cyrrin: Greetings Balkus. My name is Cyrrin. Father Yorrick has sent me ahead to begin while he waits for the arrival of Father Tenebrius.
* Alliamdra reluctantly lowers her hood and pulls her hair free from the cloak
Balkus: Well met, Cyrrin. This is our esteemed and most notable guest, Alliamdra D'Arabviis
* Cyrrin appears quite surprised
Cyrrin: Greetings, Alliamdra.
* Alliamdra does not seem surprised by his surprise in the least
Alliamdra: Well met Cyrrin
* Cyrrin composes himself quickly. He moves casually to stand beside Balkus's desk.
* Cyrrin gives a slight smile in greeting and then speaks in his strong, but slow halfling voice.
Cyrrin: I have not been well-briefed on the situation. I suppose it'd be best that you start from the beginning.
* Balkus eyes you with a slightly playful smile.
Alliamdra: It is not the best omen when the better briefed has no idea as to what is going on
Cyrrin: Indeed. Then tell me simply what you saw.
Alliamdra: My party and I were summoned by Father Melvin, he had sent clerics on to investigate an ancient tomb only a couple hours travel away and only one had returned
* Cyrrin 's face turns grim.
Alliamdra: The one that had returned was in poor shape at best, he had been bitten
Cyrrin: Father Melvin is the high cleric of Waynwood, yes?
Alliamdra: Yes
* Cyrrin nods
Cyrrin: Please continue
Alliamdra: It wasn't too long in our travels that we ran into drow, crazed, driven mad, blood flowing from their eyes
Alliamdra: They had already begun to spread from the tomb you see
Cyrrin: Spread from the tomb? What do you mean?
Alliamdra: You see, when we reached the entrance to the tomb, there was an elf of some sort on his way out
Alliamdra: He did not tell us much, rather he seemed more inclined to turn into a bat and fly away
Cyrrin: A bat? What did this elf look like?
Balkus's interest is visibly piqued at your mention of the transforming elf.
Alliamdra: I do not remember much about him, other than he was tall and wearing black leather
Alliamdra: And an elf, clearly
Cyrrin: I see.
Cyrrin: The drow suggest Lilith's involvement. But an elf sorcerer is incongruous.
Balkus gives the back of Cyrrin's head a look after his comment, but you are uncertain what he means by it.
Alliamdra: He said he got what he came for, a skeleton followed behind him
Alliamdra: When I asked him about the drow all he said is that it was "a pity"
Cyrrin: What else can you tell us about him? What else did he say?
Alliamdra: You must excuse me if I do not remember his exact words
Alliamdra: It was a rather brief meeting, and I've had a bad week
Cyrrin: Of course. Just do your best.
Alliamdra: He said he had gotten what he came for. I asked about the drow, he said it was unfortunate. He also assumed we were friends of the halflings
Alliamdra: So clearly he knew of the clerics
Alliamdra: But he was in a hurry to leave
Alliamdra: and left abruptly, by turning into a bat and flying away
Cyrrin: Yes. You said one of the clerics were bitten.
Cyrrin: By what?
Alliamdra: The curse
Alliamdra: The curse spreads by biting
Alliamdra: Turns everyone into some sort of zombie
Cyrrin: A zombie?
Cyrrin: And then they bite others, spreading the curse?
Alliamdra: I do not know exactly what it is
Alliamdra: but for the most part yes, zombie, ghoul, something of that nature
Alliamdra: My party knows for a fact that entering the tomb does not spread it, at least not any more
Alliamdra: The trap has sprung, so to speak
Cyrrin: What is it that the elf had come for? What was in the tomb? Do you have any knowledge of his involvement in this curse?
Alliamdra: If you want my theories I would guess he used the drow to get through the curse
Alliamdra: but that's only theory
Cyrrin: What was it that he was after?
Alliamdra: They were mostly males though, so labor is about all they're good for
* Cyrrin does not seem to understand that comment.
Cyrrin: You mean that the drow were serving as some sort of work crew for him?
Alliamdra: Possibly
Alliamdra: There was only one female that we ran in to down in the tombs, and she was dead. Dead but not bitten
Alliamdra: My mistake, there were two and one was bitten. I shot her in the eye.
Alliamdra: I do not know what item he was after
Alliamdra: All I know is that a poem, warning those who would enter, referred to him simply as the "Great High King"
Cyrrin: Where was this tomb?
Alliamdra: Breld
* Cyrrin nods
Alliamdra: I guess there were some reports of it being related to Queen Lilith in some way
Cyrrin: Well, that seems almost certain if skeletons and drow were involved.
Cyrrin: What of the clerics? Were they inside?
Alliamdra: Depends on what you mean
Alliamdra: Halflings were certainly inside
Alliamdra: but they weren't clerics any more
Cyrrin: What do you mean?
Alliamdra: One was, for a short period before biting my friend’s hand
Alliamdra: To put it gently, the only ones to leave the tomb without the curse was my party, and the elf
* Cyrrin's expression turns dark
Cyrrin: What were their names?
Alliamdra: The clerics who were sent to the tomb were Frederick, Rory, Marley and Fezziwig

Alliamdra: Only Frederick made it back
Alliamdra: but he was bitten
Alliamdra: and by the time we returned so was the rest of Waynwood
* Cyrrin is shocked by that statement
Cyrrin: What?!
Cyrrin: The entire town?!
Alliamdra: Overrun
Alliamdra: I cannot say it as an absolute
Cyrrin: By Robin!
Cyrrin: What of Father Melvin? And the rest of your party?
Alliamdra: but you'll understand why we didn't search every home for survivors when the streets were filled with the monsters
Alliamdra: Father Melvin was no where to be found
Alliamdra: Not living, dead, or dying
A bell, like before, is now heard from elsewhere in Balkus's home. It has been roughly half an hour since Cyrrin's arrival.
Alliamdra: One friend lost his hand to survive the curse, another Jensen died in the tomb
Cyrrin: Hold, Miss D'Arabviis. I believe that would be the Fathers.
Balkus: Gregory, if you would?
Gregory disappears again
Awkward silence prevails in the room for a few moments. Cyrrin seems to be going over something in his own head. Balkus looks mildly bored and rather unflustered.
* Alliamdra coughs
In a few moments, Gregory returns to the same door, leading behind him three halflings and a human, none of whom you recognize.
One of the halflings, relatively young, and the human are both dressed in half-plate and carry several weapons with them, but wear darkblue robes beneath their armor. The human is carrying a finely-made backpack. The other two halflings look much more mature, one in his mid-40s and the other in his early-60s. They both wear very fine navy robes with gold trimmings, much like the kind you've always seen Father Melvin in, but clearly more expensive. The older halfling's is particularly ornate. Neither is wearing armor or carrying weapons.
Balkus: Greetings Father Yorrick! And Father Tenebrius, so good to see you again!
The younger of the golden-trimmed halflings speaks first
Yorrick: Greetings Balkus. We of course wish that this visit were made under more joyous circumstances.
* Yorrick gives a brief smile of greeting before turning grim again. His face appears as if a smile naturally belongs on it, rather than the more solemn expression. His bright green eyes are partially obscured by his bushy eyebrows. His hair is frazzled and unkempt, but he doesn't seem to mind.
The oldest halfling forces a smile before returning his expression to one of total solemnity. His dark brown hair falls in long dreadlocks down his back. His piercing gray eyes appear even sharper underscored by his lined face. The right side of his elderly face is covered with thick, curved lines; navy blue tattoos that you can only assume represent some sort of religious symbols.
When the older halfling speaks, his voice rumbles with a depth much greater than his unassuming height would suggest
Tenebrius: Hello Balkus. Where are the others?
* Alliamdra looks around for others
Balkus: The others? Oh, I sent them on a quick errand. I'm sure they'll be back shortly. But in the meantime, Miss Alliamdra here seems to know all there is to know.
* Balkus smiles a ****-eating grin.
* Tenebrius glowers, but does not comment.
Yorrick: Miss Alliamdra. Nice to meet you.
* Yorrick turns his attention from you quickly
Yorrick: Cyrrin, if we could speak to you outside for a moment?
Yorrick: We'll be with you in a moment, Alliamdra.
Alliamdra: I don't doubt it father
Cyrrin: Of course, Father. Excuse us.
* Cyrrin says to you and Balkus
* Balkus remains sitting as Cyrrin, Father Yorrick, Father Tenebrius, and the other two clerics leave the room and shut the door.
* Balkus rolls his eyes.
Balkus: That wasn't so bad, now, was it?
Alliamdra: I have gotten used to holding my tongue
Alliamdra: I must admit, however, that I despise politics
Alliamdra: unless, of course, there is opportunity for me to gain something from it
Balkus: Then, I'm afraid, you are likely to be very displeased in a short manner of time.
Alliamdra: I'm drow
Alliamdra: I'm always displeased
* Balkus chuckles
After a few minutes of a flurry of voices from behind the door, the door swings open and Yorrick pokes his head in.
Yorrick: Balkus.... Father Tenebrius would like to speak to you briefly.
* Yorrick turning to you
Yorrick: It'll just be a moment dear.
* Alliamdra smiles
* Yorrick nods, smiles, and shuts the door as Balkus, a tad amused, exits.
Alliamdra: What do you think Gregory? Am I screwed?
Gregory nods.
Alliamdra: Blunt honesty, I like that
After a few minutes, the door opens again and Balkus, and the two Fathers and Cyrrin enter.
Balkus is carrying a glass box containing a large, sturdy forge hammer. He sets it on his desk, smiling, while Father Tenebrius, now carrying the backpack the human had been carrying, takes Balkus's seat behind the desk. The two armored clerics remain in the hall, shutting the door. Cyrrin and Father Yorrick take opposite sides of the desk.
Father Tenebrius removes parchment, ink, and pen from his backpack and sets them on the desk as Father Yorrick begins to speak.
Yorrick: Greetings Alliamdra. My name is Father Yorrick, as I'm sure you've gathered, and I am the High Cleric here in Agophi.
Alliamdra: Pleasure, Father
Yorrick: This is Father Tenebrius, the High Cleric of Helena and right-hand of Supreme Pontefix Grublix.
Yorrick: Cyrrin, we understand, you have met. From what we understand matters are quite urgent.
Yorrick: However, the Order of Robin is not in the habit of jumping blindly into dangerous situations, as I'm sure you understand.
Alliamdra: Clearly you must have known that it was urgent already to have someone of such importance as Father Tenerbrius come all the way down here just to talk to little me
Yorrick: Indeed. In the interest of expediency, we would like to cast a spell that will assist in our gathering of information in the most efficient way possible. It will not hurt you, you have my word as a High Cleric of Robin the Impeccable. We ask that you do not resist. Do you consent?
Alliamdra: I do not mean to be uncooperative, but what type of spell are you referring to?
* Tenebrius matter-of-factly states, "Zone of Truth."
Alliamdra: Absolutely
Yorrick: Thank you, kindly. If you could move your chair back about fifteen feet, Father Tenebrius will cast the spell and we can quickly determine how best to help Waynwood.
* Yorrick smiles warmly at you.
* Alliamdra, before moving the chair, manifests Empathy so that it affects only Balkus in its radius.
Balkus feels very happy and excited.
Balkus's eyes snap to you, suddenly very serious. And shakes his head.
He's now a little angry and displeased.
* Yorrick continues to smile as you move the chair slowly
* Alliamdra mutters "taudl"
Balkus nods slightly, but doesn't take his eyes off of you.
Tenebrius pulls from his pack a very expensive-looking holy symbol of Robin, a circle with two hands clutching kukris. He mutters some words and a light explodes in your vision.
Yorrick: Thank you for your cooperation.
Alliamdra: You're welcome
Yorrick: First things first, Alliamdra.
Yorrick: Is everything that you have told Balkus and Cyrrin true to the best of your knowledge?
Alliamdra: I certainly can't recall it being otherwise
Yorrick: Yes or no, please.
Alliamdra: yes
Yorrick: Thank you.
Tenebrius makes a note.
Yorrick: Are you or your companions in anyway working for Queen Lilith or the nation of Hellgate?
Alliamdra: No
Yorrick: Are you aware that the unregistered use of Teleportation Circles is illegal?
Alliamdra: Now I am, yes
Yorrick: Were you, prior to your unregistered use of Waynwood's Circle?
Alliamdra: I'm a drow Father, Clerics tend to not place me into a situation where I'd ever have to know that
Alliamdra: So, No
Yorrick: Thank you, Alliamdra. One more question about this seemingly harmless and unintentional crime.
Yorrick: How is it that you and your companions obtained the scroll that allowed you to activate the Teleportation Circle?
Alliamdra: I'm not sure what you mean
Yorrick: Where did you get the scroll?
Alliamdra: We were searching through Father Melvin’s office in hopes of finding him or where he went
Alliamdra: We found the scroll there
Yorrick: Yes, thank you.
Yorrick: Now that we have firmly established your innocence and trustworthiness...
* Yorrick smiles and turns to beam at Father Tenebrius
Father Tenebrius does not return the smile, but continues to write on the parchment.
Yorrick: A few questions regarding the curse afflicting Waynwood.
Alliamdra: ok
Yorrick: What are the precise effects of being bitten, as you saw them?
Alliamdra: I can do you one better Father, and try to remember the phrasing used on the poem that warned us about it
Alliamdra: Or would you prefer in my own words
Tenebrius: Let us hear the warning.
* Yorrick nods
Alliamdra: All who pass beneath this door, should hold from proceeding any more. For those who disturb our great high king will never again hear the bluebird sing. A blight most fearsome deadly will arrive, consuming all those who think they survive. First, a tremendous pain inside you, as the curse turns your innards in to ghouls, then the hunger seeps in to your brain turning on your friends, you're driven insane. One bite alone can spell your doom, and guarantee you will never see outside this tomb
Yorrick: Hmm....
Alliamdra: Granted, it may not be perfect. It was written in old Draconic
Balkus: Was it?
Alliamdra: It was written in several languages actually
Alliamdra: 3, if I remember correctly
Balkus: Sounds like you did a pretty fine job of translating, I'm impressed.
Balkus: However, may I suggest that the penultimate sentence begin thusly:
Balkus: "First, a tremendous pain inside of you, as the curse turns your innards into goo..."
Balkus: “Ghouls” makes little sense, given that you did not describe several undead bursting from inside the individuals and fails to rhyme with the previous line.
Balkus: But if it was written in Old Draconic, I am impressed you translated as much as you did.
Yorrick: Thank you, Balkus.
Alliamdra: There was some archaic infernal to help me along
Yorrick: To your knowledge, is there any way to stop the spread of this curse?
Alliamdra: Only hunches
Yorrick: Please, share.
Alliamdra: Well, I'd like to think there is a possible Remove Curse spell with enough power to do so
Alliamdra: But then, if Father Melvin failed and had to flee, I do not know how powerful a spell it would have to be
Yorrick: We are as unaware of Father Melvin's location as you are.
Yorrick: However....
* Yorrick gives a look to Father Tenebrius
Yorrick: We can say with certainty that he did not use Waynwood's Teleportation Circle to escape.
Alliamdra: Well
Alliamdra: That will upset a great many people in my party
Yorrick: Nonetheless, Melvin was always more concerned with the care of his people, than the pursuit of magical prowess.
Alliamdra: I cannot say I know him very well
Yorrick: We hope to be able to do more for the town.
Yorrick: Once bitten, an individual is immediately turned into a monster?
Alliamdra: no
Alliamdra: they turn over a brief period of time
Yorrick: I see.
Alliamdra: The curse is survivable if bitten
Yorrick: It is?
* Yorrick looks surprised
Alliamdra: You just have to remove the area bitten before it spreads
Yorrick: And how do you know this?
Alliamdra: Because we've had a friend survive the day without turning
Yorrick: By removing the area bitten?
Alliamdra: Yes
* Yorrick nods
Father Tenebrius scribbles information down quickly.
Yorrick: What makes you suspect that they are undead?
Alliamdra: Their thirst for blood
Cyrrin: Yes. That makes sense..
Alliamdra: They don't seem to just bite as a weapon
Alliamdra: but as a means to feed
Yorrick: I see.
Alliamdra: But I'd also suggest that there must be a way to remove it
Yorrick: Yes? How's that?
Alliamdra: if it takes time for the curse to settle in, and if it can be removed before infection, then there must be something introduced into the body that would change it
Alliamdra: At least, reasonably
Yorrick: That is certainly a fair deduction. We will look into it.
Yorrick: Is the Teleportation Cir-
Alliamdra: I would bet the elf knows all about it
Yorrick is interrupted by Father Tenebrius
Tenebrius: One question, Father Yorrick.
Yorrick: Of course, Father.
* Tenebrius slowly, his eyes look up from the paper and lock, dead, with your own.
Tenebrius: If Waynwood were overrun by these Infected creatures...
Tenebrius: How is it that you and your companions survived to make it to the temple in order to use Melvin's Circle?
Alliamdra: Stealth
Tenebrius: Explain.
Alliamdra: When we first arrived, we were overrun
Tenebrius: And you were not killed?
Alliamdra: luckily they are quite stupid in this form, and we found shelter within a house
Tenebrius: An empty house?
Alliamdra: we did our best to barricade ourselves inside
Tenebrius: Was the house empty?
Alliamdra: Nothing living father
Tenebrius: I see.
Alliamdra: We waited in the house till nightfall
Alliamdra: used the cover of darkness to sneak our way to the temple
Cyrrin: A very good move, Miss D'Arabviis.
Tenebrius: Yes. And the Temple?
Tenebrius: It was empty when you came upon it?
Alliamdra: Not empty, Father
Alliamdra: In fact, a priest was found alive
Tenebrius: Oh? Where is he?
Alliamdra: We do not know
Tenebrius: What happened to him?
Alliamdra: We attempted to bring him along with us when we teleported
Alliamdra: But it was merely a bard attempting to use the scroll
Alliamdra: and he didn't show up on the other end
Balkus: It seems he was teleported elsewhere when they misused the scroll, Father Tenebrius.
Alliamdra: I suppose we're lucky that we did
Balkus: Indeed you were, Alliamdra.
Yorrick: That's very unfortunate. We pray that Robin will return him quickly to safely, unharmed.
Alliamdra: So long as return doesn't mean Waynwood, I would venture he'd have better odds
Tenebrius: Alliamdra D'Abarviis.
Tenebrius: When you left, was the Teleportation Circle compromised?
Tenebrius: Is it safe to use, as far as you know?
Alliamdra: Well Father, we did not teleport "just in the nick of time"
Alliamdra: However
Alliamdra: Shortly before we left, another survivor found us
Yorrick: There may be others, then!
Alliamdra: To do so would have required her to remove everything we placed to keep the infected out
Tenebrius: I see.
Tenebrius: Father Yorrick. Gather your men. Take those I brought with me and go to Waynwood.
Alliamdra: I am sure those of my party would appreciate knowledge of any family members if there is any news in the future at all
Tenebrius: Be quick, but not foolish. The safety of you and your men is your number one priority, do you understand? Consider that an order from the Supreme Pontifex himself.
Tenebrius: Your next priority is survivors. Find them, if they exist.
Tenebrius: Then, and only then, attempt to save the Infected.
Yorrick: Absolutely, Father.
* Alliamdra hesitates a moment
Alliamdra: Fathers ... I know that at least two of my party would want to do what they could to help
Yorrick: Alliamdra, you have more experience with this than any of us. We would welcome your assistance. Would you like to accompany us, under my orders?
Alliamdra: So help in this effort would be appreciated?
Yorrick: Without a doubt.
Yorrick: Your advisement could prove valueable
Alliamdra: How could I say no to such important people who are about to perform such an important task?
Alliamdra: However
Alliamdra: I would suggest a slight alteration
Tenebrius: Time is of the essence, Yorrick.
Alliamdra: Let me return to those I have traveled with, I can guarantee you'll have a group of 5 people who understand the threat
Alliamdra: *traveled
Tenebrius: That sounds wonderful. When you're companions and you have returned, we will send you in as reinforcement.
Tenebrius: Now, Yorrick. Go.
Alliamdra: ... yes, please just be around to reinforce