PDA

View Full Version : GURPS/Fluff Making a Valkyrie

Kizara
2009-09-20, 06:08 AM
So, I have an idea for a Valkyrie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyries) character, and (back home) some nice pics for her.

Now, I just have to make up the character. The concept is that she is mortal now because of some cosmic event, but still retains much of her experiences and memories of her previous life, and a good amount of supernatural powers.

Now, I'm AFB at the moment, but going from memory this is what I have so far (I'm aiming at about 250-300 pts):

First, a Pact limitation with some sort of code and duty, but I'm not familiar with the mythology enough to know what this should entail. I'm thinking combating Undead and necromancers (desecrating the victorious dead), things that can undermine glorious combat (assassins, disease, etc) and offering leadership in battle. Can anyone enlighten me on anything further? Please?

A 15 base ST, with 3 more from her supernatural origin
I'm thinking 12 10 14 for the other stats.
Blessed (heroic feat) likely a ST boost
Healing
Unusual Background (10 pts)
High Pain Tolerance, Combat Reflexes
DR (tough skin, thinking about 4)
Fit
Appearance (beautiful)
Charisma 2
A limited use smite attack, probably a stunning, melee-delivered innate attack.
Power Investiture 2, with body control and possibly air spells.

Weapon style would be a poleaxe, backed up by broadsword and shield with throwing axes for ranged. Lots of ranks in Ride (pegasus).

Also, she needs a pegasus, so if anyone feels like stating that out such would also be cool.

Skills in things like lore of the underworld, tactics, leadership, maybe sex appeal.

So, other ideas? Comments on what I have here? Comments or discussion on roleplaying the character are welcome also, as its still a rough concept.

EDIT: For those wishing to discuss or learn about GURPS in a general sense, I direct you to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123145).

Melamoto
2009-09-20, 06:54 AM
Not sure you should be using many points on DR; it doesn't seem to be fitting for a Valkyrie, besides the supernatural part of them.

Kizara
2009-09-20, 01:29 PM
Not sure you should be using many points on DR; it doesn't seem to be fitting for a Valkyrie, besides the supernatural part of them.

Why do you say that? I figured a supernatural creature would have some innate resiliance to mundane weapons, and 4 is significant, but far from immunity.

But as I confessed in my OP, my Valkyrie knowledge is low, so please elaborate on why you don't think supernaturally resilient skin is appropriate for them.

HamHam
2009-09-20, 09:28 PM
I'd go with the winged version that presumably just flies on her own, but if you are going to have a horse it is I think just a flying horse and not a pegasus.

GoufCustom
2009-09-21, 12:23 AM
Yeah, if you're going for full mythological accuracy, you'll want to nix the Pegasus, as that would be Greek.

Kizara
2009-09-21, 03:38 AM
So, more hippogriff then? That certainly makes things easier, as I can just take a race horse and slap the winged flight on it.

As for the character, I had a couple more thoughts:

She needs Detect (demons).

I also want her to have some kind of 'wings of light' that are limited use. The limited use part is easy, but I'm not sure about the wings of light element, maybe the small wings style flight re-fluffed a bit?

Fridrik Bj
2009-09-21, 05:02 AM
Actually in mythology Valkyrjur are more like talent scouts and less like warriors. I can't remember a single story where they actually fight.

So if you just want a blond fighting woman...you are on the right track. If you want a proper (and not nearly as much fun) 'picker of the dead' version I would do the following.

Magery. Healing and necromancy only. The spell that makes you show anyone how he dies is appropriate.

Some sort of ghost template that makes them ethereal and lets them fly under their own power.

Jumper advantage that lets them go between the gods world and the real world. Make sure they can take passengers.

Some sort of skill to make them be able to look at the battle and see what fighters are doing brave things. Possibly just lots and lots of perception.

How is that for a start?

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-21, 05:37 AM
Actually in mythology Valkyrjur are more like talent scouts and less like warriors. I can't remember a single story where they actually fight.

So if you just want a blond fighting woman...you are on the right track. If you want a proper (and not nearly as much fun) 'picker of the dead' version I would do the following.

Magery. Healing and necromancy only. The spell that makes you show anyone how he dies is appropriate.

Some sort of ghost template that makes them ethereal and lets them fly under their own power.

Jumper advantage that lets them go between the gods world and the real world. Make sure they can take passengers.

Some sort of skill to make them be able to look at the battle and see what fighters are doing brave things. Possibly just lots and lots of perception.

How is that for a start?

Helmeted valkyries came down from the sky
—the noise of spears grew loud—they protected the prince;
then said Sigrun—the wound-giving valkyries flew,
the troll-woman's mount was feasting on the fodder of ravens:

So they do fight.

I also disagree with the idea of making them ethereal - it's fairly common for them to be lovers or wives of Norse heroes, which is in favour of keeping them flesh & blood.

Norse mythology is not well defined, so at the start of their influence the Valkyries are more like demonic creatures and at the end of it their link to Fate has become so strong that they are more heavily associated with the Norns.

I think a strong fighting woman is entirely appropriate - the Valkyries are thought to have links to Shieldmaiden figures, who were woman warriors, so you can justify it even seperated from their own martial accomplishments.

I too prefer the style of Valkyrie which just flies on their own but the Horse has no wings, nor is it a pegasus - it just flies.

As far as magic goes, I don't have much idea about GURPS, but Fate (relating to battle), Necromancy (relating to things dying) and anything associated with Lightning seem appropriate. Seidr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seidr) is seen as 'women's work' in Norse mythology so you could potentially go further into the magic side of things, being a female divine servant of Odin (who also practices it).

A spear seems like the most thematic weapon you could pick up.

Kizara
2009-09-21, 05:40 AM

How is that for a start?

In truth, I was going for more Norse Warrior Angel then, well, ^^that.

Perhaps she got tired of such, and decided to take the mantle for herself? Or something. I'm aware that this might smell of Empowerment to some, but that really isn't my aim here, nor to bastardize a culture's myths.

So, let's elaborate a bit. Imagine if the honored dead were being distrubed via necromancy (I know they burn their dead, but still) and so someone had to be sent to stop such blasphemy. So, out of a sense of duty, she accepted the disgrace of falling from grace and the mortality that goes along with it to attend to the problem.

To do such, she takes on the warrior's mantle herself and the disgrace that goes with that (as its obviously against her society's proscribed role for her).

Not sure what to take for Social Stigma however, or if I should... is the fact that she's a descended Valkyrie more shameful/wrose then simply being a normal warrior, or does the special nature cancel out the backstory behind it? I know SHE feels disgraced by it, for what that matters. Guilt complex maybe? Doesn't quite seem to fit however.

Kizara
2009-09-21, 05:45 AM
So they do fight.

I also disagree with the idea of making them ethereal - it's fairly common for them to be lovers or wives of Norse heroes, which is in favour of keeping them flesh & blood.

Norse mythology is not well defined, so at the start of their influence the Valkyries are more like demonic creatures and at the end of it their link to Fate has become so strong that they are more heavily associated with the Norns.

I think a strong fighting woman is entirely appropriate - the Valkyries are thought to have links to Shieldmaiden figures, who were woman warriors, so you can justify it even seperated from their own martial accomplishments.

I too prefer the style of Valkyrie which just flies on their own but the Horse has no wings, nor is it a pegasus - it just flies.

As far as magic goes, I don't have much idea about GURPS, but Fate (relating to battle), Necromancy (relating to things dying) and anything associated with Lightning seem appropriate. Seidr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seidr) is seen as 'women's work' in Norse mythology so you could potentially go further into the magic side of things, being a female divine servant of Odin (who also practices it).

A spear seems like the most thematic weapon you could pick up.

Thanks for your input, and Shield Maiden of Thor is essentially what I'm aiming for, to be sure.

As for the horse, that would follow most pictures I've seen. Ok.

As for Seidr, thanks for the reference, although aside from descriptive flavor I don't really see how its much different mechanically from other ritual magic; just different rituals.

As for her weapons, I know Vikings used poleaxes, hand axes, broadswords, large, round spiked shields and thrown weapons like spears and javelins for their mainstay weapons, so that's what I'll probably go for here. I think I'll specialize in halbred, with sword & broad as backup, with axes for ranged.

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-21, 05:54 AM
Thanks for your input, and Shield Maiden of Thor is essentially what I'm aiming for, to be sure.

As for Seidr, thanks for the reference, although aside from descriptive flavor I don't really see how its much different mechanically from other ritual magic; just different rituals.

As for her weapons, I know Vikings used poleaxes, hand axes, broadswords, large, round spiked shields and thrown weapons like spears and javelins for their mainstay weapons, so that's what I'll probably go for here. I think I'll specialize in halbred, with sword & broad as backup, with axes for ranged.

I have no real idea of the distinction in GURPS, I was just saying it's easy to justify a more magey or more martial character.

As far as "Shield Maiden of Thor" goes, that's fine. In the original sources though the Valkyries all serve Odin. Which is also why I suggested the spear, it being his weapon and also a weapon referenced in several Valkyrie names. This stuff is pretty unimportant in a translation of a Valkyrie to a game, however.

Your character sounds fun to play, I'm sorry I can't help you out mechanically.

Kizara
2009-09-21, 06:10 AM
I have no real idea of the distinction in GURPS, I was just saying it's easy to justify a more magey or more martial character.

As far as "Shield Maiden of Thor" goes, that's fine. In the original sources though the Valkyries all serve Odin. Which is also why I suggested the spear, it being his weapon and also a weapon referenced in several Valkyrie names. This stuff is pretty unimportant in a translation of a Valkyrie to a game, however.

Your character sounds fun to play, I'm sorry I can't help you out mechanically.

Oh. :smallredface:

Well, thanks for your help with my bastardization of the myth. :) Thing is, a spear is a far less interesting weapon to use then a halbred, although you can throw it, so I kinda am sticking with my justifiable-if-not-exactly-perfectly accurate weapon choices. :smalltongue:

And while I am looking for mechanical help from GURPS players, the fluff was what I was having the hardest time with. Thanks for your input there, its given me some more to work with.

Fridrik Bj
2009-09-21, 06:31 AM
"Shield Maiden of Thor"

wow...that is a bastardization and then some...but who cares really. it's about fun, not facts.

You could also just drop the whole Valkyrja thing and just go for Shield maiden of Þór. Then you can just make up whatever you like.

Enjoy your game.

Jayabalard
2009-09-22, 07:09 AM
As far as "Shield Maiden of Thor" goes, that's fine. In the original sources though the Valkyries all serve Odin. Which is also why I suggested the spear, it being his weapon and also a weapon referenced in several Valkyrie names. This stuff is pretty unimportant in a translation of a Valkyrie to a game, however. Yes definitely spear... and magic helmet.

sailor_grenoble
2009-09-22, 12:26 PM
Thing is, a spear is a far less interesting weapon to use then a halbredyou mean, apart from the spear being one of the most versatile weapons available?
it can be used one or two-handed (increasing reach and damage), it can be thrown, it can be used with the Staff skill, giving you some swing (crushing) damage and a choice between impaling or crushing damage for your thrusting attacks.
And while using the Staff skill to use it (you decide at the start of your turn which skill to use, unless you have the Form Mastery (Spear) perk, in which case you can freely switch between skills), you benefit from the +2 to Parry.
Note: unless you also have the Grip Mastery (Spear), you can switch between Spear and Staff skill only if you use both your hands to wield your weapon

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-22, 12:30 PM
I don't think we should get on Kizara's case just because he's not using what may or may not be the more thematic weapon choice. His concept is already fairly divorced from that of the mythic Valkyrie, while still drawing heavily on it for inspiration. I figure he can get away with using pretty much any weapon really - except, perhaps, a katana.

I'd also say think about the Shield Maiden idea. Valkyries can have kids, might be a nice background.

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 12:30 PM
Well, I figure you'd want to get gurps mecha first, that seems to have the correct rules for this kind of thing right out of the box. Of course, there'd still be a little tinkering, but the Macross and/or Robotech fan should be...

Oh. The other kind of Valkyrie.

sailor_grenoble
2009-09-22, 12:40 PM
I don't think we should get on Kizara's case just because he's not using what may or may not be the more thematic weapon choice. His concept is already fairly divorced from that of the mythic Valkyrie, while still drawing heavily on it for inspiration. I figure he can get away with using pretty much any weapon really - except, perhaps, a katana.

I'd also say think about the Shield Maiden idea. Valkyries can have kids, might be a nice background.Oh, I'm not commenting on the concept, but merely on the point that a spear is less interesting than a halberd. IMO, it's the reverse that is true. A halberd might do more damage and might appear to be more versatile, but the true strength of the spear in GURPS lies in realizing that a combat skill represents the way you wield the weapon, and does not encompass ALL the possible uses (hence the reason why quarterstaff can be used with the Two-Handed Sword skill).

Cybren
2009-09-22, 12:57 PM
Yes definitely spear... and magic helmet.
Spear and magic helmettttttttttt!

Kizara
2009-09-22, 01:52 PM
Oh, I'm not commenting on the concept, but merely on the point that a spear is less interesting than a halberd. IMO, it's the reverse that is true. A halberd might do more damage and might appear to be more versatile, but the true strength of the spear in GURPS lies in realizing that a combat skill represents the way you wield the weapon, and does not encompass ALL the possible uses (hence the reason why quarterstaff can be used with the Two-Handed Sword skill).

Huh.

Worth considering.

As for the "Spear and magic helmettttttttttt!" bit, went way over my head, sorry. :smallredface::smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2009-09-22, 02:04 PM
Huh.

Worth considering.

As for the "Spear and magic helmettttttttttt!" bit, went way over my head, sorry. :smallredface::smalltongue:

Watch the classics. It's opera, Doc.

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-22, 03:58 PM
Huh.

Worth considering.

What did you watch as a kid? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_Opera,_Doc%3F)

bibliophile
2009-09-29, 08:03 PM
Valkyries didn't actually ride winged horses. That's a popular misconception that I think started with Wagner. They rode wolves who could fly with out wings.

Kizara
2009-09-30, 01:16 AM
Valkyries didn't actually ride winged horses. That's a popular misconception that I think started with Wagner. They rode wolves who could fly with out wings.

Flying dire wolves? Cool.

The_Snark
2009-09-30, 02:48 AM

Not a misconception—they're mentioned riding horses (not necessarily winged) in at least one poem I've read. But it does look like another has one riding a wolf, and thematically this makes sense: wolves were associated with Odin. They were not well regarded in mythology—farming people don't generally tell nice stories about wolves—but Odin was associated with a lot of taboo things: ravens, magic (which, as pointed out, was seen as a womanly thing), and death.

Odin's actually a fascinatingly contradictory god. He assists heroes, but he also sees to it that they die in their prime—so that he can take their souls to Valhalla, in preparation for Ragnarok. Being favored by Odin was a little like being the stereotypical rock star: live fast, die young. I think Wagner used this as the reason for Brynhild's disobedience; I can't remember if it was the same in the saga he based it on. The Valkyries were the ones who collected these souls.

This might be good material for your pact (Odin wants warriors to engage in open battle even when it might be foolhardy, not use sneaky and possibly more sensible tactics), or you could take a cue from Wagner and make it part of the reason you're mortal now.