PDA

View Full Version : You are not of this plane! (3.5 prestige class) PEACH

Gamerlord
2009-09-20, 08:46 AM
Planeguardian

A Planeguardian is a powerful warrior who has dedicated themselves to guarding the material plane, fighting of all intruders from other planes, they don't care much about native problems though, they see the orc raids, the dragon lairs, and the hostile xenophobic barbarian problem as a natural part of this world. What they fight are the outsiders, the aberrations, an all others who come from a different realm, they can be a problem as they aren't exactly one for cooperating with such beings.

Requirements:
Race: Any natural being of the material plane, none-outsider or abberation or otherwise not of this world.
Skills: Knowledge( the planes) 8 ranks
Feats: Track
Special: must partake in a rite of passage where they must hunt a outsider or aberration of 2 CR's higher then them and slay it single-handily without aid.

Weapon and armor proficiencies: A planeguardian gains proficiency with all martial weapons but gains no armor proficiencies

Hit Dice: 1d8
Class skills: Survival, Knowledge(the planes), Search, Gather infromation
Skill points per level: 2+ int bonsu

Planeguardian
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|+2 vs "unnatural"

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|+2 Ac vs " unnatural"

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3| I have fought the madness

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4| Dismissal

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Smite invaders

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+5| +5 vs "unnatural"

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Banishment 1/day

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+2|
+6|+5 Ac vs "Unnatural"

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|They were here

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Banishment 3/day[/table]

+x vs Unatural This bonus is for attack and damage vs. those not of this realm

+x Ac vs Unatural This bonus to AC is for given to you when an unnatural being attacks you.

I have fought the madness The planesguardian gets a bonus to all saves vs. Aberrations and outsiders equal to his planesguardian level.

Dismissal The planesguardian gains the ability to dismiss creatures like the spell Dismissal a number of times per day equal to his Charisma bonus
Smite invaders Functions like smite evil, but only on outsiders and aberrations. may use it x/day per charisma bonus.

They were here at any time the planesguardian may activate as special field of vision, where all non-outsider or abberation things are blue, like a door made out of all-natural wood or a human commoner, green for leftover outsider essence (Blood, tracks, fingerprints) , and red for full-on essence (An actual outsider or abberation, magic weapon forged on a different plane etc.)

Banishment x/day the planesguardian may use this spell as if it were the exact spell.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-20, 09:32 AM
I love the concept, & the mechanics are sound, but the whole thing comes off as underpowered. You can enter this after 5th level, & the optimizing needed to singlehandedly slay the outsider that you must to enter this means that you're gonna want power. I recommend boosting the following:

+1 vs Unnatural becomes +2
+1 AC vs Unnatural becomes +2
I Have Fought the Madness grants a bonus to saves equal to your level of Planeguardian
Dismissal 1/day becomes Dismissal a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus
Smite Invaders 1/day becomes Smite Invaders a number of times per day equal to your Charisma bonus
+2 vs Unnatural becomes +5
Dismissal 2/day becomes Banishment 1/day
+2 AC vs Unnatural becomes +5
Banishment 1/day becomes Banishment 3/day

That should make for a more competitive class. As it is, the class could be easily outclassed at its own schtick by a straight caster.

Gamerlord
2009-09-20, 02:00 PM
Got it will start making those changes.

EDIT: Wait, are mind flayers aberrations? Might have messed up the Fluff.

Emong
2009-09-20, 02:30 PM
Got it will start making those changes.

EDIT: Wait, are mind flayers aberrations? Might have messed up the Fluff.

Yep, they are.

Owrtho
2009-09-20, 02:41 PM
I'd point out that most aberrations aren't from other planes. They're just things native to the plane that seem unnatural.
Also, how would this class handle outsiders with the native subtype, or the children of outsiders born on the material plane?

Owrtho

Gamerlord
2009-09-20, 03:50 PM
The orginization of planesguardians, sort of as a rule of thumb, consider you a enemy if your origin, even of your ancestors, are not of this plane.

Kobold-Bard
2009-09-20, 04:07 PM
I know the Know (Planes) pre-req is pretty important based on what the class is. However none of the Full BAB classes in Core (and I'm assuming you're aiming this at Full BAB-ers, specifically Rangers) have this as a class skill, meaning you'd need to be Level 13 before you can take this class.

Not sure how to fix this though without hurting the fluff of it, sorry.

Really like the class in general though, love the idea.

Gamerlord
2009-09-20, 08:06 PM
Did all the changes Zeta Kai suggested.

Stormthorn
2009-09-20, 08:26 PM
they see the orc raids, the dragon lairs, and the mind flayer problem as a natural part of this world. What they fight are the outsiders, the aberrations, an all others who come from a different realm, they can be a problem as they aren't exactly one for cooperating with such beings.

You know...mind flayers are aberrations.

And they arnt natural at all. They come from (in 3.5, according to LoM) the distant future. They are alien to our entire timeline.

But, that aside, most aberration are not from other planes.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-20, 09:01 PM
Did all the changes Zeta Kai suggested.

I'm glad to be of service. :smallcool:

Blue Ghost
2009-09-20, 09:09 PM
Does Smite Invader work on non-evil outsiders? You may want to clear up the wording on that. And all the effects may need a bit more careful wording.

Great idea for a class. I'm not good at balancing, but it looks pretty good.

quick_comment
2009-09-20, 09:11 PM
A nice capstone would be the ability to treat any weapon they wield as outsider and abberation bane for up to 10 rounds. Activate as a free action and they choose the subtype of the outsider bane at activation.

boomwolf
2009-09-21, 04:15 AM
You know...mind flayers are aberrations.

And they arnt natural at all. They come from (in 3.5, according to LoM) the distant future. They are alien to our entire timeline.

But, that aside, most aberration are not from other planes.

Mind Flayers are the evolutions of humans?!

Sweet. (even if only a dumb sentance to make no sense, I would LOVE to set up such a game with a party of new gamers that does not know mind flayers yet...)

Anyways, I liked the class. alot. altouhg it has hard entry requirements for true warriors, I assume a mix of a few monkey levels in there is needed to have a chance against one at 2 CR higher then you.

Blue Ghost-he said nothing about evil. it smiths ALL outsiders, ALL aberrations.

Gamerlord
2009-09-21, 01:35 PM
Blue Ghost-he said nothing about evil. it smiths ALL outsiders, ALL aberrations.

Yep, EVERYTHING outsider is a hated enemy.

EDIT: Also, fixed the fluff.