PDA

View Full Version : 2v2 PvP at level 2...

Zovc
2009-09-20, 02:11 PM
I was in a gaming shop last night playing one of the TCG's I like to with a friend. We were in the last round of the event we were playing, and two "kids" (high school age, I'm college age, if I'm entitled to actually calling them that) asked us (we are both acquaintances of them) if we wanted to play D&D. I said maybe and so did my opponent, then the player started telling us what he and his party member (back of the store at this point in time) were doing.

This basically boils down to them doing what an amateur roleplayer assumes all evil characters are entitled to do, (pointless violence, kill everyone, rape people, and blow stuff up) they were now on their way to destroy an orphanage. I decide that I will play (with or without my opponent) and PvP them. My friend agrees to, as well, as a teammate.

I throw together a Wizard 2 (with no feats and just the spells I wanted, "Touch of Fatigue and Detect Magic; Sleep and Burning Hands") with the rules-lite they were using and my friend puts together a Rogue 2. I had three Touch of Fatigue and one Detect Magic (against a Druid and a Wizard) as my 0th level, and one Sleep and one Burning Hands.

I explain to my teammate that I am going to put them to sleep, and tell him his duty is to execute a Coupe de Grace against both of the players. They somehow have three (lesser? I don't know...) minotaurs helping them with 8hp each. So I put both of the evil players to sleep (one rolls a 2, then a 4, because the 2 "wasn't his roll;" the other gets a total of a 14 with his saving throw, he needed a 15), one for 4 rounds the other for 5. This gives me enough time to run off and bait the minotaurs while my friend sneaks around and kills both players. I use burning Hands and do 4 damage to both of the minotaurs (they apparently had 8hp each), and one of the women they raped (apparently a Wizard) shows up and finishes the bulls off.

The kids now want to play "real" dungeons and dragons with me. What do I do?

Kizara
2009-09-20, 02:19 PM
First I'd work out that you actually intend to play the real game, with all of the actual rules and options in them, even if its core only.

Then I'd try it out, it might be fun. Give it a couple chances in fact as there's often a bit of growing pains.

Also, if you or your friend are a good DM, this might be a great way to form a group.

Good luck, but be sure to make it clear that you want to actually play the real game, not some rules-loose-and-light version.

Zovc
2009-09-20, 02:24 PM
Well, the DM seems intent on playing the real game, he wanted to make sure everyone had a copy of the Player's Handbook, for example.

I will probably end up being a Co-DM in the campaign. While I don't like DMing, I personally have little faith in the guy who wants to. I hear bad things about it, and he seemed to keep forcing "companions and stuff" (such as those minotaurs, how do two level 2 adventurers get three minotaurs in their service?) on us. I expect the DM to force us in certain directions without giving proper incentive--I heard that is what he does.

In the meantime (over the course of this week), I intend to trick my laptop out with information. I know there are SRDs available, but what cool reference sites are there? I usually just use d20srd.org, but I'd like to find some more ergonomic resources.

For example, It'd be great if there was some interface where I could type in a spell's name and have the program/site jump to the spell. (I know d20srd.org does this, but I have to search for the spell, then click on the article--that extra step doesn't kill me, but it is there.)

Kizara
2009-09-20, 02:33 PM
Well, the DM seems intent on playing the real game, he wanted to make sure everyone had a copy of the Player's Handbook, for example.

I will probably end up being a Co-DM in the campaign. While I don't like DMing, I personally have little faith in the guy who wants to. I hear bad things about it, and he seemed to keep forcing "companions and stuff" (such as those minotaurs, how do two level 2 adventurers get three minotaurs in their service?) on us. I expect the DM to force us in certain directions without giving proper incentive--I heard that is what he does.

In the meantime (over the course of this week), I intend to trick my laptop out with information. I know there are SRDs available, but what cool reference sites are there? I usually just use d20srd.org, but I'd like to find some more ergonomic resources.

For example, It'd be great if there was some interface where I could type in a spell's name and have the program/site jump to the spell. (I know d20srd.org does this, but I have to search for the spell, then click on the article--that extra step doesn't kill me, but it is there.)

Try crystal keep.

Also, I'd play with the railroading DM, and work with the minions. It doesn't sound like that bad of a plot element, and commanding your minions in battle might make for some more interesting fights. If he isn't a complete asshat about it, you can work with him by having your character interested in minions and followers and actively recruiting them.

As for his railroading, if its not done awfully, you can still have fun with the tactical/gamist elements of the game with some light roleplaying.

Also, don't try to CO-DM with a stranger, the obvious inevitable power struggles and clash of styles won't be fun for anybody. However, after he runs a campaign and it dies out for whatever reason (TPK, lack of interest, frustration with his crappy DMing) run one yourself, and do a good job. This might show him some games his are lacking.

Also, if he asks you for any feedback, give it with detailed honesty, but also try to be positive: "I enjoy the tactical elements having all these minions produce in combat, but I would like for my character to have more imput on the kind of allies he works with or leads."

Zovc
2009-09-20, 02:44 PM
Crystal Keep has .PDFs. While that'll work, .PDFs tend to use a lot of resources, I find. I'd rather just have a mostly text interface without having to worry about pages, anyways.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just use that, though.

Well, I believe the minotaurs came along from them making a pact with a demon or something of that nature. It's not that I have a problem with the minions, it's just that there are more minions than there are players, and they're as strong as (if not stronger--they had strength scores of 20) players. It's a really nice way for the DM to participate in the game, but he already IS the game, if you are following me.

When I say Co-DM, I mostly mean I'll be there as a rules reference, as I should have everything the group needs on my laptop for on-the-fly access.

magellan
2009-09-20, 03:15 PM
"amateur roleplayer"?

Does this mean you can earn money by playing D&D? :smallconfused: