SlaadLord
2009-09-20, 02:48 PM
http://marinebio.org/i/deepsea.jpg

Lomona
Large Aberration (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 5d8 + 10 (32 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20ft., swim 60ft.
AC: 15, touch 11, flat-footed 13 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural)
Base Attack/ Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6 + 2) or claw +2 melee (1d4 + 2)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6 + 2) and 2 claws +2 melee (1d4 + 1)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Ethereal school, kelp tangle, lomona’s curse
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., deceptive veil
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 13
Skills: Listen +5, Knowledge (the planes) +4, Spot +5, Survival +5
Feats: Ability Focus (Ethereal School), Multiattack
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: 6-10 HD (Large), 11-20 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: -

Lomona are hideous reminders that things live at the bottom of the deepest, darkest trenches in the ocean. Perpetually surrounded by the souls of dead seafarers in the shape of fish, Lomona are not precisely evil...just completely foreign in their way of thought and action.

Lomona resemble massive, midnight blue merfolk. However, their heads are attached directly to their shoulders and are shaped like a barracuda's. Their hands are equipped with talons. Long barbels trail back from their upper and lower lips. Lomona easily reach twelve feet in length and weigh almost 800 lbs. They speak Undercommon and Aquan.

Combat
Ethereal School (Su): Lomona are surrounded by the spirits of those they have killed, in the forms of small fish. This school deals 2d8 damage each round to any incorporeal or ethereal creatures within 10 feet of a lomona. Corporeal creatures within 10 feet of the lomona need to make a DC 15 Will save each round they remain within the school or believe they are being eaten alive by hundreds of ravenous fish and become nauseated for 1 round. Creatures that make their Will saves become immune to that lomona’s ethereal school for 24 hours. This is a mind-effecting fear effect.
Kelp Tangle (Su): As a standard action three times per day, a lomona can cause a ship’s moving speed to be halved for eight hours. The lomona must be able to see the ship it wants to affect and can only affect any one ship once every 24 hours.
Lomona’s Curse (Su): Twice per day as a standard action, a Lomona can place a curse upon a single target. The target takes a -2 penalty to all attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks for a week. Additionally, the cursed target is frightened for 1d4 rounds. A Will save (DC 13) negates the curse and the frightened condition. This is a mind-effecting fear effect.
Deceptive Veil (Su): As the spell disguise self, but the lomona can appear to be up to one size smaller.

Kuma Kode
2009-09-20, 04:14 PM
Not bad. I don't see any problem with it... I wonder if I could add the flying template to this sucker...

Debihuman
2009-09-20, 05:31 PM
Very nice indeed. I particularly like the way Ethereal School works.

Secondary natural weapons are always secondary, even when used as a primary weapon. Attack line for claw should be +2 melee.

Since you said you were basing it off the merfolk, I wasn't sure if you were actually following the advancement by Size or just winging the numbers.* For a Large creature, its Strength is a little low.

*I actually advanced a merfolk by size just for the heck of it.

Even though the MM doesn't state it outright, merfolk have the following racial adjustments: Dex +2, Con +2, and Cha +2. Compare the starting array with the one in the stat block and you get the adjustments. To advance a Medium creature to a Large creature, you add the following size adjustments: Str +8, Dex -2 and Con +4. This gives you a total adjustment of Str +8, Con +6, and Cha +2. Sample Large Merfolk has these abilities: Str 18, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 13.

SlaadLord
2009-09-22, 11:55 AM
Thanks very much.

I was winging the numbers for "Large Merfolk." It just seemed like an image people could connect to. I know the strength is a little low...thanks for the fix on the attack line.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-09-22, 01:12 PM
That's pretty cool.

I'm with Debi on the the Ethereal School, nice and unique and flavorful

SlaadLord
2009-09-22, 01:28 PM
Thank you very much.

DracoDei
2009-09-22, 06:25 PM
Is Kelp tangle a purely supernatural effect, or does it act by creating kelp on the hull or causing the hull to attract such? Does going diving to cut of any actual kelp that may be involved allow ending the effect early?

SlaadLord
2009-09-22, 08:13 PM
DracoDei: Purely supernatural.