PDA

View Full Version : [SW SAGA] Help! I have no idea what I am doing!

Wilhelm Scream
2009-09-20, 05:53 PM
So someone on campus is running a game of SW Saga edition, set right between episodes 3 and 4, and I am invited. I can play whatever I want, but here's the problem: I don't know much at all about the system (going to borrow the books) or really what I want to play. Any suggestions for someone new to the system, or just interesting character ideas?

DMfromTheAbyss
2009-09-20, 06:10 PM
If you want something easy go scout or soldier and take abilities that sound cool, they tend to be workable reguardless of your optimization abilities. They also make a sound basis for a lot of other concepts. Jedi (and jedi multiclass/forcesensitive) is amazing if you can work the system. Nobles can be fun, but are difficult to play if they aren't well made.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-20, 06:17 PM
Multiclassng is encouraged, but must be done in right order to get best benefit.
As only level 1 gives everything (weapons, armor, etc), but multiclassing gives 1 class feature.

Gamgee
2009-09-20, 10:47 PM
A well built soldier can generally take down most Jedi. They can also rival most well built Jedi so keep this in mind. It then becomes a matter of who can use the terrain to their advantage and who has the best tactics.

Other than that the system is quite balanced and you shouldn't have much problem making something.

Edit
Depending on books some talents/feats may share names, but can be quite different in mechanical benefit. Just keep this in mind.

Kiero
2009-09-21, 06:32 AM
Assuming it's not a 1st level start, start Scout or Noble, then branch across into whatever else you want to do. Instant hit of lots of skills, then no need to worry about getting Skill Training later on.

Gamgee
2009-09-21, 07:21 AM
Assuming it's not a 1st level start, start Scout or Noble, then branch across into whatever else you want to do. Instant hit of lots of skills, then no need to worry about getting Skill Training later on.

Although if your going for a bruiser type I advise not to do that. If you want to be the groups fighter stick with a full BAB progression. A Jedi or Soldier with full bab is terrifying indeed.

Although if you don't intend to be the main combatant then what Kiero said is quite valid and even optimal one might say.

Kiero
2009-09-21, 08:59 AM
Although if your going for a bruiser type I advise not to do that. If you want to be the groups fighter stick with a full BAB progression. A Jedi or Soldier with full bab is terrifying indeed.

Although if you don't intend to be the main combatant then what Kiero said is quite valid and even optimal one might say.

A single point of BAB is not that big a deal. And for the added versatility, it's more than a fair trade.

I played a main combatant Scout/Jedi in our game, and my character was equal to the full Jedi in combat. And not useless outside of it.

Gamgee
2009-09-21, 12:32 PM
A single point of BAB is not that big a deal. And for the added versatility, it's more than a fair trade.

I played a main combatant Scout/Jedi in our game, and my character was equal to the full Jedi in combat. And not useless outside of it.

True, but that extra point of BAB comes in handy when the DM sends something tough to hit after you. It really does make a difference in a pure combat character. I mean overall it doesn't make that much of a difference, but for some "bosses" it will make a huge difference.

I have seen a mixed character in combat do just as good as a full combat character in most situations. Then when it comes time they need the one point of bab they are in some deep ****. It's the difference between needing a 19-20 and hitting or an 18. I think it makes a huge difference.

Then again you do get a lot for sacrificing a point of bab. So it can be worth it, but when I go for a pure combat character I want every edge. If it means I can hit you more easily then Ill do it.

In pure combat it can make all the difference. It is also probably one of the few things allowing someone to hit a well armored character. It does have it's uses, but they are more combat focused.

You have to ask yourself will it be worth sacrificing some out of combat abilities just so I can shine in a few pure combat fights? Me? I think it is. I have my team around to do other stuff, and I am going to be doing the hitting so to speak.

I mean one of my players needs every bab he can get so he can practically score four guaranteed critical hits or more an encounter. If he didn't have that single point then he would be far less effective. So yes it does come in handy.

Maybe not as often, but when you can hit that damn Mandalorian with a reflex into the forties you will be happy you have that extra point. ;)

Kiero
2009-09-21, 06:53 PM
You may have your team around, but that doesn't make non-combat situations any less boring when your character has nothing to contribute. :smallsmile:

Gamgee
2009-09-21, 07:27 PM
You may have your team around, but that doesn't make non-combat situations any less boring when your character has nothing to contribute. :smallsmile:

True, but it's the price you pay to be the best. :P

Starbuck_II
2009-09-21, 07:30 PM
Grenades are the best thing ever. Unless they have evasion you deal some damage at least.

NEO|Phyte
2009-09-21, 07:32 PM
Grenades are the best thing ever. Unless they have evasion you deal some damage at least.

I once got some bonus XP for ending an encounter that had just started with a single grenade. They are indeed awesome, as long as you can pitch them somewhere that doesn't include friendlies.

Wilhelm Scream
2009-09-21, 08:45 PM
Thanks everyone.

So I got a chance to look through the rulebooks, and I was thinking I either wanted to go for a Scout/Scoundrel pilot (not sure about the Ace Pilot prestige class though) or some sort of heavy bruiser (but not a Jedi). Any tips for those kind of builds? Useful feats/talent trees? Anything I should avoid outright?

Oh, and the game does start at level one. Apparently we're doing a module that goes from 1 all the way to 20.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-21, 09:11 PM
Sounds like you're going to be playing Dawn of Defiance, that's a good campaign.

You can't multiclass until you gain a level, so for your multiclass character you'd have to be either a scoundrel or a scout.

If you want to be a heavy bruiser, Soldier is your best bet. The brawler or armour speclaist talent tree are good if you want a tank, and perhaps feats like pin (which leads to crush), bantha rush or powerful charge

As this is your first time, I suggest you start simple. As for playing, the GM should be giving you a hand or finding a player to do so.